iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #4261 of 4273 Old 08-21-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Last night, after returning from a four day holiday, I was pleased to see that my IVIEW was recording. And about 8 recordings had been made.

As I watched the third recording, playback froze and none of the remote buttons had any effect. I tried a power cycle. For a little while, I had a live picture. When I hit the blue button it said USB Device Removed.

But shortly I heard click-click-click from the portable USB drive. Not a good sound! I tried the blue button and got something like Unrecognized Format. I tried another disk drive and got the same result.

Shortly after this, the TV reported No Signal. The IVIEW was completely dead.

Connecting both USB drives to my laptop revealed that everything was OK on the drives. Whew!

A bummer, but the IVIEW has been very valuable to me since I bought it in June 2014. Fourteen months until failure is not too good.

As I'm not aware of any more suitable devices for my purposes, I ordered another one this afternoon. At $36 I should probably have a spare. Fortunately I don't think there are any programs I really need to record until the replacement arrives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4273 Old 08-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
The IVIEW was completely dead.

Connecting both USB drives to my laptop revealed that everything was OK on the drives. Whew!

A bummer, but the IVIEW has been very valuable to me since I bought it in June 2014. Fourteen months until failure is not too good.

As I'm not aware of any more suitable devices for my purposes, I ordered another one this afternoon. At $36 I should probably have a spare. Fortunately I don't think there are any programs I really need to record until the replacement arrives.
Mine died last year, about the same amount of time. The USB port died first. The port stopped working completely while still under warranty but it was going to cost me $25 for warranty repair, which I thought was ridiculous for a box of this price, so I didn't send it in. When it died completely a few months later, I was even more glad I didn't waste money on the warranty repair of the usb port since it would have been completely useless just a few months later.

Anyway, it sounds like you already ordered a new iview, but if not, it was brought up in the Homeworx thread that there is a new iview PVR out - the 3200. Here is a link to it on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/IVIEW-3200STB-.../dp/B00RDQGBIE
post #4263 of 4273 Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for mentioning the 3200!

I browsed Amazon a bit, and saw that the 3500stbii was "old version" but I did not see a link to the "newer" version. I think I saw a "3200" but didn't pay any attention to it.

There was discussion of a likely new model a month or so ago in this thread. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think there was a post about the actual new model in this thread.

I'll have to look into the 3200...
post #4264 of 4273 Old 08-21-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

B&H shows that the 3200stb is discontinued and shows the 3500stbii as an alternative.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...erter_box.html

But Amazon shows
Date First Available as October 7, 2013 for the 3500stbii
and December 24, 2014 for the 3200stb.

The importer's web store only lists ONE converter box -- the 3500stbii.
http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/iview-store.html

Curious.

Last edited by R Johnson; 08-21-2015 at 08:44 PM.
post #4265 of 4273 Old 08-22-2015, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
B&H shows that the 3200stb is discontinued and shows the 3500stbii as an alternative.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...erter_box.html

But Amazon shows
Date First Available as October 7, 2013 for the 3500stbii
and December 24, 2014 for the 3200stb.

The importer's web store only lists ONE converter box -- the 3500stbii.
http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/iview-store.html

Curious.
It's showing in stock on the iview site: http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/iview-3200stb.html

iView's numbering scheme and naming scheme has always been so bizarre, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-used the model number.

Last edited by jprc; 08-22-2015 at 12:44 AM.
post #4266 of 4273 Old 08-22-2015, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
B&H shows that the 3200stb is discontinued...
It is quite rare, in fact almost unheard of, for a retailer to have numerous descriptions for "not in stock, you can't order this" even though there can be several reasons. "Discontinued" should not be, necessarily, taken literally. It could be (for example) the two units are running concurrently but they only have one of the two of them...currently. We don't know for sure.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #4267 of 4273 Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Keep a small fan on top all these DVR's tend to overheat and freeze, erase channels, etc. Got the idea from JH. Get something like this and put it on top with air circulating out it helps. 1 fan should be good enough: http://www.amazon.com/iDeaUSA-Coolin...ptop+fan+1+fan

post #4268 of 4273 Old 08-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Keep a small fan on top all these DVR's tend to overheat and freeze, erase channels, etc. Got the idea from JH. Get something like this and put it on top with air circulating out it helps. 1 fan should be good enough: http://www.amazon.com/iDeaUSA-Coolin...ptop+fan+1+fan
Not a bad idea for any electronics w/ heat issues.
afterlife2 likes this.

Jiggery - Pokery!
post #4269 of 4273 Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning the 3200!

I browsed Amazon a bit, and saw that the 3500stbii was "old version" but I did not see a link to the "newer" version. I think I saw a "3200" but didn't pay any attention to it.

There was discussion of a likely new model a month or so ago in this thread. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think there was a post about the actual new model in this thread.

I'll have to look into the 3200...
I saw the 3200 but was not quite sure what it was compared to the 3500.
I bought an "old version" from Amazon thinking it might be the 3500STBII w/o the 3/4 switch but it had the 3/4 switch. It replaced my first 3500STBII (non 3/4) that I got last April. It had been acting wonky for the past couple weeks before finally giving up the ghost. Opened it up and looked like it might have a slight leaky cap.
post #4270 of 4273 Old 08-24-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

From a case design perspective, the 3200stb appears to be newer model than the 3500stbii. (Custom case versus a generic box.)

It would be interesting to read comments from any users who have both models.
post #4271 of 4273 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

My second 3500stbii arrived. It seems a bit less sensitive than the one that died. Same antenna and location. On the PBS station that I usually record, it will display a picture without any problems. But when it goes into Record mode, the picture breaks up quite a bit. This happened on the defunct unit too, until I found the "perfect" indoor antenna location.

While I'll work with alternate antenna positioning, I ordered an iview 3200stb this evening. It should be an interesting experiment.
post #4272 of 4273 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 330
One of the biggest frustrations with these boxes has been their susceptibility to RFI from an attached HDD - which pretty much defeats the purpose if you lose the signal any time you try to record it!

Try moving the HDD as well as the antenna. You might also look for a USB cable with ferrite chokes at each end.
post #4273 of 4273 Old Today, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
One of the biggest frustrations with these boxes has been their susceptibility to RFI from an attached HDD - which pretty much defeats the purpose if you lose the signal any time you try to record it!

Try moving the HDD as well as the antenna. You might also look for a USB cable with ferrite chokes at each end.

I can recommend the WD 3TB Elements External Desktop. I tried a couple WD portables with sporadic success until I settled on the Elements. It's been wonderfully stable since Dec/Jan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders