iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

Old 10-10-2015, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
Maybe one of the small, portable USB powered drives would work successfully for you (as they do for me).
If my flash drive doesn't give me good results, I'll go with a small HDD. My niece uses these flash drive to make videos and they work fine. That's why I thought I'd give it a try.

How do you view .mts files on a computer with Windows 7?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
When attempting to play a very long recording, over 2hrs in .TS form of H264, I think (if that matters) the video when I selected it for full screen was superimposed over the initial listings screen. It was like looking at a ghost image of the preview listings screen over the real video. The shorter clips of video had no trouble but the only way to play this long one was to leave the preview screen to watch a short video that preceded the one I wanted and hitting the track up to get to that long one. Any ideas how to fix this?

edit to add: I copied this hard to play file onto my external 2TB Western Digital HDD, I didn't make the recording on the iView itself.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 10-10-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 696
How did you make the recording?
Old 10-11-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post
If my flash drive doesn't give me good results, I'll go with a small HDD. My niece uses these flash drive to make videos and they work fine. That's why I thought I'd give it a try.

How do you view .mts files on a computer with Windows 7?

Thanks
.MTS is basically the same as .TS, so if your Windows system isn't recognizing .MTS, try changing the extension to .TS and see if it will play.

If Windows doesn't recognize .TS either, you may need to install some codecs. There's a free package by "Shark007" that many folks, including myself, use; the only caveat is that his download page is loaded with ads and it can be tricky to find the right "Download" link for the codecs as opposed to one of the advertised products so be careful when you download. Also be sure to decline installing any of the numerous "free" adware products offered when you run the codec installer.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
How did you make the recording?
Cablebox DVR > D-VHS VCR > Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 > Asus Notebook computer drive.

The recording is 1080i. I'm not dead sure it is .TS, it might b MT2S since everything I have had up til now doesn't care so I use both interchangeably.

Remember, the iView can play it, but only if I play the track before this problematic long one and then hit the track up button to get to it. The problem is I can't properly select it from the preview screen, which successfully shows a thumbnail sized preview of the track. When I hit the "schedule" green button to change from preview mode to full screen I get a double image of both the preview screen and the full screen version on top of each other.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Old 10-12-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
.MTS is basically the same as .TS, so if your Windows system isn't recognizing .MTS, try changing the extension to .TS and see if it will play.

If Windows doesn't recognize .TS either, you may need to install some codecs. There's a free package by "Shark007" that many folks, including myself, use; the only caveat is that his download page is loaded with ads and it can be tricky to find the right "Download" link for the codecs as opposed to one of the advertised products so be careful when you download. Also be sure to decline installing any of the numerous "free" adware products offered when you run the codec installer.
.ts files doesn't seem to be supported either.

I have seen all these websites that offer some codec files, but it worries me. I have a some pop-ups, in my computer, that I tried removing with every anti-whatever, known to men, with no success. I try to stay away from third party suppliers. I was hoping that Microsoft would supply such a codec, but I haven't found any.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear you. I had a problem installing Shark007's codecs myself. I think I accidentally installed one of the adware programs that comes bundled with the codecs and it was infected with a virus! Luckily McAfee caught it, and I was able to locate and uninstall the offending adware (which, naturally, I didn't even want in the first place).

The Shark007 codecs themselves work fine for .ts but I don't think Microsoft provides any. I actually don't know why; the .ts format is a close cousin to the widely-used .mpg format. The main difference is the .ts format has some extra redundancy for better error correction when transmitting it over-the-air, so you'd think one codec could easily cover both formats. The only extra thing a .ts codec needs to do is to use the redundant packets to correct any errors in the MPEG-2 data.

In fact, just changing the extension to .mpg might be worth a try. With luck, the M$ codec will just ignore the redundant packets. You may see more pixelation than with a true .ts codec, but if the file is otherwise clean, it might still play OK.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Cablebox DVR > D-VHS VCR > Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 > Asus Notebook computer drive.

The recording is 1080i. I'm not dead sure it is .TS, it might b MT2S since everything I have had up til now doesn't care so I use both interchangeably.

Remember, the iView can play it, but only if I play the track before this problematic long one and then hit the track up button to get to it. The problem is I can't properly select it from the preview screen, which successfully shows a thumbnail sized preview of the track. When I hit the "schedule" green button to change from preview mode to full screen I get a double image of both the preview screen and the full screen version on top of each other.
I'm guessing there's something just slightly weird about the Hauppauge 1212's format that throws off the iView's firmware.

You might try the free "MediaInfo" program on your PC to look at the file. You can not only confirm whether or not it's a true MPEG TS file, but also see if it omits any of the normal tables (PAT and PMT are often omitted, for instance).
Old 10-12-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
If you need support for TS playback, grab LAV Filters directly; you don't need a codec "pack". It should install the necessary codecs as well as Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which will use those codecs to let you play the files. You can also get MPC-HC separately from its own site, and that download should also install the LAV Filters. Both projects are open source and malware/adware free.
JHBrandt likes this.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you need support for TS playback, grab LAV Filters directly; you don't need a codec "pack". It should install the necessary codecs as well as Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which will use those codecs to let you play the files. You can also get MPC-HC separately from its own site, and that download should also install the LAV Filters. Both projects are open source and malware/adware free.
M. Ives,

I just download it and install it? Anything I should know?

I'm always afraid to screw up something with these software I have never heard about.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

For simplicity's sake, I would suggest that you download MPC-HC and let it install the LAV Filters for you. Here's a direct link to the file you want. I think it should be pretty straightforward, but you can always ask if something doesn't make sense.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
For simplicity's sake, I would suggest that you download MPC-HC and let it install the LAV Filters for you. Here's a direct link to the file you want. I think it should be pretty straightforward, but you can always ask if something doesn't make sense.
M. Yves,

I downloaded the software that you suggested. Under file I put the recording I want to view, what do I put under "Dub:"?

When I try to view a recording, it shows "Cannot render the file".

I look at FAQ but didn't find an answer. I tried to find instruction, on how to use this software, but couldn't find any.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
M. Yves,

I downloaded the software that you suggested. Under file I put the recording I want to view, what do I put under "Dub:"?

I look at FAQ but didn't find an answer. I tried to find instruction, on how to use this software, but couldn't find any.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks
Can you recommend a particular size of flash drive?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's a bad sign, as MPC-HC plays almost anything I throw at it. I think JHBrandt is correct that the Hauppauge card is making nonstandard files. You may need to find some software that can convert them into something you can actually play, assuming such software exists.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Just multiply the number of hours of recording time you want by 2 Gb for SD video or 8 Gb for HD video; then buy a flash drive of at least that size.

Remember that many flash drives cannot be written to quickly enough to record HD reliably. For best results choose a USB 3.0 flash drive; even though the iView's USB port is only USB 2.0, the 3.0 flash drives can usually be written to more quickly, so you're less likely to run into trouble trying to record HD video. Even so, you may still need to try several flash drives to find one that works reliably for you.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's a bad sign, as MPC-HC plays almost anything I throw at it. I think JHBrandt is correct that the Hauppauge card is making nonstandard files. You may need to find some software that can convert them into something you can actually play, assuming such software exists.
Try this. This trick works well with the DVR+, which also produces nonstandard .ts files:

1. Download a copy of the ffmpeg.exe command-line utility. It's free and self-contained, so it doesn't have to be "installed" by Windows. You can put it on a USB flash drive if you don't want to clutter up your PC's hard drive.
  2. Run cmd.exe, then enter the following command: \path\to\ffmpeg -i \path\to\inputfile.ts -acodec copy -vcodec copy \path\to\outputfile.ts
  3. Try to play outputfile.ts

Replace \path\to\inputfile.ts with the path to the recording from your Hauppauge 1212. Replace \path\to\outputfile.ts with a path and file name of your choice.

You'll see several lines of progress data as ffmpeg reads through the file. It should only take a few minutes to complete. Ffmpeg will build PMT and PAT tables if they're missing and should produce a "standard" .ts output file.
ClearToLand likes this.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Try this. This trick works well with the DVR+, which also produces nonstandard .ts files:

1. Download a copy of the ffmpeg.exe command-line utility. It's free and self-contained, so it doesn't have to be "installed" by Windows. You can put it on a USB flash drive if you don't want to clutter up your PC's hard drive.
  2. Run cmd.exe, then enter the following command: \path\to\ffmpeg -i \path\to\inputfile.ts -acodec copy -vcodec copy \path\to\outputfile.ts
  3. Try to play outputfile.ts

Replace \path\to\inputfile.ts with the path to the recording from your Hauppauge 1212. Replace \path\to\outputfile.ts with a path and file name of your choice.

You'll see several lines of progress data as ffmpeg reads through the file. It should only take a few minutes to complete. Ffmpeg will build PMT and PAT tables if they're missing and should produce a "standard" .ts output file.
The files from I-View are .mts, is that the same as .ts?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty much the same. In fact, remember that the hack for getting the iView to play back a recording in DD5.1 is to rename the file to end in .ts vs. .mts, then play it as a "movie."

Recordings from the iView can be played back on a Win 7 PC without any cleanup. The Ffmpeg conversion above is only needed for nonstandard .ts files, such as those from a DVR+ (and apparently, m. zillch's Hauppauge 1212).
Old 10-14-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Just press OK while watching TV. The list of channels will pop up and you can move up and down to select a new channel. Press OK again to start watching the new channel or Exit to stay on the old one.
Thanks a lot.

Rick R
Old 10-14-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It appears that it is not possible to start watching a recording from the beginning while it is still recording. Is this correct or am I missing something. It seems to me that this should be an important feature of a DVR.

Rick R
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post
It appears that it is not possible to start watching a recording from the beginning while it is still recording. Is this correct or am I missing something. It seems to me that this should be an important feature of a DVR.

Rick R
Yes, you can do that. It depends whether you're running older or newer firmware exactly how you do it. I no longer have an iview so I'd have to look up my old posts to find both ways, but try this first and if it doesn't work, I'll look it up later. While it's recording, hit pause. Then hit play. Then you can either rewind to the beginning or use the Goto button to go to the first second (or wherever you want). Let me know if it doesn't work, and I'll find my old posts.
dleedlee and JHBrandt like this.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just an FYI regarding the recent firmware release. Once installed it displays as 20140522V1. CC is no different with this version either. I'd have to check the previous firmware versions as well, but as someone else noted it may not be new.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Hey guys, I have had the 3500 for almost a year now. It worked very well until a month or so ago, and then failed to power on. I sent it to the factory for repair and just got it back last week. Everything seems to work fine.

Last night I plugged in a USB drive and started a recording manually (by pressing the Record button on the remote) and walked away for a couple of hours to let it record a show. When I came back at the end of the show I stopped the recording, and the timer on-screen indicated it had been recording the whole time, displaying just over two hours. I then shut down the 3500 and unplugged the USB drive. I then plugged the drive into my wifi router and accessed the recording over the network from my Oppo player. Started watching the show, and everything was fine until it abruptly stopped long before the show was over and moved on to the next video on the drive. Turns out the 3500 only recorded about 8 minutes of the show. The Oppo indicated the length of the video was about 8 minutes, and the file size was 511 MB (which seems big for 8 minutes but clearly way too small for 2 hours of HD video).

I had made many recordings with this thing (using the same USB drive) before sending it in for service. I have my doubts that it was caused by the service, however. Has anyone had an issue with the 3500 stopping recording before being told to do so?

TIA.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually 0.5-1.0 GB would be about right for 8 minutes of HD video.

I wonder if the drive's file system may have gotten damaged somehow? You might try plugging the drive into a Windows PC and checking for errors.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Forgot to mention that I had the 3500 format the drive immediately before starting the recording. I suppose the drive could be bad though?
Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Update to my situation:

I looked a little closer at the files stored by the 3500 on my drive. Turns out it divided the show I was recording into several small files, each of which is exactly the same size (down to the byte), except the last one of course which is smaller since presumably it was only a few minutes long instead of 8 or so minutes. It gave the first file an extension of .mts as expected, and then each of the others .mts2, .mts3, .mts4, etc. So my Oppo player didn't even see them as video files and didn't display them when I tried to watch the other night. Of course, when I connected the drive to my computer tonight, they all showed up. I have changed the extensions to .mts on all the files, and it appears they are now all viewable.

Any idea why the 3500 would divide the program into several files? It has never done this before. I went through the menu looking for options that might need to be changed, but didn't find anything.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by bkeeler10; 10-21-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You probably formatted the drive to FAT32 instead of NTFS, so the iView created the smaller files to avoid FAT32's lack of large file support.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Aha, I bet that's it! I had forgotten about the file size limitation in FAT32. The Iview did the formatting, so I will reformat to NTFS on the computer and try again. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Could someone please explain how to set up the box so I can watch tv while a show records?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement