iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 119Likes

post #4411 of 5053 Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Firmware won't fix the directionality of the remote. But there is a trick you can try: place a piece of Scotch transparent tape over the infrared LED at the front of the remote. This will scatter the beam a bit and make the remote a little less directional.

Also make sure you have really good batteries in the remote for the strongest possible beam. I've found Energizer lithium AA batteries work really well, although they're kind of expensive.

You might try making the on-screen windows partially transparent. There's a menu setting for that. While you're in the menus, could you check the firmware version and post back what you find? New boxes seem to have a new version (5.0), but it's not listed on iView's website yet. iView is really slow to update their website.

When you press the EPG button, the program guide should be a split screen, with the upcoming shows on the left and the synopsis of the selected show on the right. But it may be slow for the info to fill in; since the iView doesn't save guide info, you have to wait for the station to broadcast it every time you hit EPG. I wish they would change it to save guide info for every channel you tune to, so you didn't have to wait for it to fill in every time you hit EPG, but I think the box was made with too little internal memory for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 5053 Old 12-31-2015, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I use the EPG function, to record programs, the last 2 or 3 minutes are always missing. I tried to see if there was a clock setting but found none. How does EPG know when to start and stop recording? In other words, it starts too early and stops too early.

Thanks
post #4413 of 5053 Old 12-31-2015, 02:16 PM

When I use the EPG function, to record programs, the last 2 or 3 minutes are always missing. I tried to see if there was a clock setting but found none. How does EPG know when to start and stop recording? In other words, it starts too early and stops too early.

Thanks

post #4414 of 5053 Old 12-31-2015, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post

Thanks
You can manually set the recording times to a few minutes before and after the scheduled time. Check the time on that channel to see if it is off at all so you know if you need to adjust the recording times even further. You shouldn't use the EPG to set recordings, or just use it for a starting point, and then go to the scheduled program and change the times there. The EPG just sets the recording for whatever time it is supposed to start according to the information sent by the station and then stops it on a timer basis for how many minutes later it is set from beginning. Just manually program the recordings yourself so it records when you want it to.

Last edited by jprc; 12-31-2015 at 02:35 PM.
post #4415 of 5053 Old 12-31-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post

Thanks
It uses a time signal broadcast by the station itself. But as jprc said, sometimes those time signals are incorrect.

Tune to the station and compare the station's time (in the upper right corner of the info box) to an accurate clock (such as your cell phone). You'll probably find the station's clock is fast.

To be fair, it could also be that the station's time is OK but the programming itself is starting and ending late. But either way, the fix is the same: when you schedule a recording, add 2 minutes to the start time and 3 minutes to the end time to compensate.
post #4416 of 5053 Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 AM

This is what I do now. I set the programming myself.
Since I often record 2 or 3 programs that follows each other, at the same channel, I set the time with 2 minutes offset. I'm experimenting...
Once I wanted to record 4 programs, one after the other, of half an hour each and on the same channel, so what I did is set the programming for 2 hours. When I went to view it, I could play the first program, but I had no control over the "pause" and the other controls. I couldn't play the 3 other programs. I tried recording other programs, after that, and nothing worked anymore. I had to reformat the flash drive. Now it's working again.
post #4417 of 5053 Old 01-01-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Firmware won't fix the directionality of the remote. But there is a trick you can try: place a piece of Scotch transparent tape over the infrared LED at the front of the remote. This will scatter the beam a bit and make the remote a little less directional..Also make sure you have really good batteries in the remote for the strongest possible beam. I've found Energizer lithium AA batteries work really well, although they're kind of expensive.
thanks, it already came with new lithium's in it ( testing at 1.7vdc) , and the scotch tape helped a little , but the real problem i found is that the IR receiver is not on the front panel of the box like normal devices. the receiver is on the LED display panel, and since that is set back 1/2" from the front of the box this means the receiver is basically in a "hole". This would need a design change of the box to fix. Either moving the receiver to separate location or pushing the LED panel forward so it's flush with the front of the box. Another fix I've seen before on other devices is to put a small, clear plastic, multi-faceted"crystal" on the front window that would pick up the IR beam from many angles and re-direct back into the hole.
I might try this, but it's Disappointing that this was never tested prior to production.

Quote:
You might try making the on-screen windows partially transparent. There's a menu setting for that. While you're in the menus, could you check the firmware version and post back what you find? New boxes seem to have a new version (5.0), but it's not listed on iView's website yet. iView is really slow to update their website.

When you press the EPG button, the program guide should be a split screen, with the upcoming shows on the left and the synopsis of the selected show on the right. But it may be slow for the info to fill in; since the iView doesn't save guide info, you have to wait for the station to broadcast it every time you hit EPG. I wish they would change it to save guide info for every channel you tune to, so you didn't have to wait for it to fill in every time you hit EPG, but I think the box was made with too little internal memory for that.
I already had the EPG window at like 70% transparency, but it's annoying to have this huge firggin box that fills up 80% of the screen and tells you almost nothing. I've waited for a minute or 2 and no programming shows up. My old Zenith would do this a little slowly too, like 5 seconds, but it did do it in a box that was only 1/4 of the screen or less and you could check all the channels by using the left/right arrow keys and not leave the channel you were on.

I'm showing V5 software from 10-22-2015, so ti doesn't look like my issues will be fixed any time soon. oh well, this is a secondary set now anyway. The Fam got themselves a big 43" LED now for gaming and such

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #4418 of 5053 Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's the same version barth90 reported: 2015/10/22, v5.0. It seems to be the newest. Barth90 also reported that his iView no longer had the channel 3/4 switch in the back, so I assume they went back to setting that (or loop through) in the menu. That's the way the original iViews worked.

I suspect iView may have a disaster in the making. If you look at their website, it says the latest firmware for iViews without a switch is V13, which certainly sounds a lot newer than V5.0. But it's actually much older and was for iViews with a different demod chip that's not made anymore. I'm afraid a lot of folks will download and try to install V13 on their new iViews, probably with disastrous results. Maybe these new iViews implement some sort of check that won't allow older, incompatible firmware to be installed, but iView has never shown that level of foresight before.

Regarding the EPG, I've confirmed it does work, including descriptions; but it loads very slowly. Like I said, I think they built these boxes with way too little memory, so to make do, the firmware throws everything away and starts from scratch every time you bring up the EPG or move to another channel (or even subchannel). It also limits the EPG to about a day's data even if there's more. With a single tuner as its only data source, it can't show you a channel's guide without tuning to it first, but if it had more memory, it could at least collect EPG data as you surf and show you everything it's collected whenever you press the button.
post #4419 of 5053 Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Folks, I am new to this forum with some questions that may have been addressed in the past. My apologies for that. I recently purchased a iView 3500stbII (with a CH 3-4 switch). It is a pretty remarkable gadget for the money, but it is awfully hard to nail down and get everything working. Here is the problem: I have downloaded and installed all three of the most recent firmware updates to be able to use this unit with cable TV, as opposed to OTA (before installing the updates, it wouldn't pick up any cable channels with the firmware it was shipped with). I tried each, doing an auto-scan and painstakingly going through all the scrambled channels to get at the ones that actually came through. The first firmware update (labeled V1) is the most comprehensive, filled with every channel in the cable system, including all the scrambled ones. The other two (V2 and V3), only show a very short list of broadcast channels after doing the auto-scan.

So, I went back to V1 and painstakingly deleted all but the active channels. Here are the problems I am having: I can scroll through all of the available channels using the remote and watch the signal through the iView live, but a) there is no programming information available for any of them when I select the program guide, and b) when I go to the PVR scheduling section to set up a program to record on one of the available channels, it only shows a small number of those channels—basically just local broadcast channels, but not even all of them. Do any of you know a workaround to add those "missing" channels to the PVR list so that they can recorded on my external HD? That is my primary issue. One thing I wanted to note was that even when I was using V3 with only the local broadcast channels, I still wasn’t able to see 20 of the stations that the unit found when it did the auto-scan in the PVR recording menu. It missed of them, including our local CBS affiliate, which has much of the network programming I wish to record. Frankly, if I could just get all the local stations to properly be “seen” by the PVR using V3 of the firmware, I could live with that, since most of what we recorded on our old TWC-leased DVR was broadcast network programming. But I suspect the overall problem I’m having with the PVR only seeing certain channels, and any possible work-around, are the same with V1 and V2.

The secondary issue is whether you know of a way that I can start getting program guide info for the channels I do have. I have read that this unit doesn’t have much RAM, which affects how much program guide info it can store. If there IS a way to add these other cable channels to list of channels the PVR can record, I’ll be a happy camper. I can deal with the lack of program guide info if need be. Many, many thanks for any suggestions you might have.
post #4420 of 5053 Old 01-02-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
The iView gets its guide from PSIP, which is something that only OTA stations provide (usually). Cable systems usually strip PSIP so they can add their own guide data that their proprietary cable boxes use. The iView can't understand that guide data, so it shows nothing.

Another problem with using the iView with cable is that it uses PSIP to set its clock, so if none of your stations have PSIP, then the iView doesn't know what time it is, so you can't make any scheduled recordings. The only way to get around this is if you have at least one station with a clock, you can tune the iView to that station before you make a recording so that it knows what the current time is.

The only way to avoid these problems is to get an antenna and record OTA so that you'll have the PSIP guide and time data that the iView needs.
jjeff likes this.
post #4421 of 5053 Old 01-02-2016, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can live without the program guide. My big hope is that there is a way to make sure all the available channels that are being picked up by the receiver are showing up in the channel line-up within the scheduler for the PVR. This has been a consistent problem--even happening when I first tried to use this unit with just OTA channels (I gave up because the reception was so back in my house that I just downgraded by cable package to the very most basic package offered).

Any suggestions out there for this channel mismatch issue within the PVR? Is this par for the course or possible something I'm doing wrong (or even a defect in my particular unit).

Thanks again for the help!
post #4422 of 5053 Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

PSIP is also responsible for hiding the RF channel number of each network and showing you the nice numbers that you're accustomed to seeing. It's possible that the iView is finding all of your channels, but because you don't have PSIP, they're mapped to their raw RF numbers and not the friendly numbers that you're used to seeing. This is problematic for cable systems, since they use their own form of PSIP to mask which channel is which (and it is also particularly important on cable, as they tend to remap channel numbers frequently).

You'd have to check the content of each channel in order to find out what it really is, since the iView can't use your cable company's guide data to tell you which channel is which. Any channel that the iView can't tune means that it's either encrypted, or you ran into the cap on how many channels you can have, so the iView stopped scanning and didn't pick up all of the really high channel numbers.
post #4423 of 5053 Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Thank you for all this info. I've stopped worrying about why I'm not seeing all the program guide info--I can get that from the Time Warner app on my iPad. The vexing problem is one where the PVR won't let me record programs on certain channels--even when they are local broadcast channels with low numbers, not the high channel numbers you mentioned above. To recap, I'm now using the V3 firmware, which picks up just 20 of the local broadcast channels on the receiver (and zero cable channels). But in the PVR scheduler module, there are only 16 of those channels being shown as options for recording programming. So effectively, there is no way to record programs on those other four stations other than manually being in front of the TV in real time and hitting "record." So that is the major issue that is before me.

A secondary issue, which I've seen that others here have had before me, is that the PVR doesn't seem to like to record too many programs on any one channel. When I go to record a 2nd or 3rd program on that channel I get an error message saying there is a conflict with (item 1, item 2, etc.). A work around was explained in another post, but I couldn't understand it. I am not very well versed in technology and don't understand all the acronyms sometimes used here (I had to Google PSIP and after reading the Wikipedia article on it, I still don't really understand what it is other than some sort of industry standard for how digital TV data is coded/expressed/stored).

Any suggestions for either of these issues?
post #4424 of 5053 Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Thank you for all this info. I've stopped worrying about why I'm not seeing all the program guide info--I can get that from the Time Warner app on my iPad. The vexing problem is one where the PVR won't let me record programs on certain channels--even when they are local broadcast channels with low numbers, not the high channel numbers you mentioned above. To recap, I'm now using the V3 firmware, which picks up just 20 of the local broadcast channels on the receiver (and zero cable channels). But in the PVR scheduler module, there are only 16 of those channels being shown as options for recording programming. So effectively, there is no way to record programs on those other four stations other than manually being in front of the TV in real time and hitting "record." So that is the major issue that is before me.

A secondary issue, which I've seen that others here have had before me, is that the PVR doesn't seem to like to record too many programs on any one channel. When I go to record a 2nd or 3rd program on that channel I get an error message saying there is a conflict with (item 1, item 2, etc.). A work around was explained in another post, but I couldn't understand it. I am not very well versed in technology and don't understand all the acronyms sometimes used here (I had to Google PSIP and after reading the Wikipedia article on it, I still don't really understand what it is other than some sort of industry standard for how digital TV data is coded/expressed/stored).

Any suggestions for either of these issues?
post #4425 of 5053 Old 01-03-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleDan View Post
A secondary issue, which I've seen that others here have had before me, is that the PVR doesn't seem to like to record too many programs on any one channel. When I go to record a 2nd or 3rd program on that channel I get an error message saying there is a conflict with (item 1, item 2, etc.). A work around was explained in another post, but I couldn't understand it.
One specific case where we've seen this type of issue is the "midnight bug." Briefly, if you try to set up a recording that spans midnight (i.e., the end time is less than the start time; e.g., 23:00-00:00), the iView will erroneously report a conflict with any other recordings on the same day. If this is your issue, the workaround is to schedule the midnight-spanning recording first, then schedule the others. Of course, if you've already scheduled the others, you'll have to delete them all, schedule the midnight-spanning recording, the reschedule all the others. (Bummer.)

The "midnight bug" may be fixed in firmware v5.0 for the iView, but no one has confirmed that yet. At the moment you'd have to buy a new iView to get the new firmware anyway.

If that's not your issue, please post a specific example. It may be a new bug. (Major bummer.)
post #4426 of 5053 Old 01-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
One specific case where we've seen this type of issue is the "midnight bug." Briefly, if you try to set up a recording that spans midnight (i.e., the end time is less than the start time; e.g., 23:00-00:00), the iView will erroneously report a conflict with any other recordings on the same day. If this is your issue, the workaround is to schedule the midnight-spanning recording first, then schedule the others. Of course, if you've already scheduled the others, you'll have to delete them all, schedule the midnight-spanning recording, the reschedule all the others. (Bummer.)

The "midnight bug" may be fixed in firmware v5.0 for the iView, but no one has confirmed that yet. At the moment you'd have to buy a new iView to get the new firmware anyway.

If that's not your issue, please post a specific example. It may be a new bug. (Major bummer.)
I don't believe the midnight big is the culprit. Here is the precise situation I have at the moment. I have only two event current programmed into the PVR, both of which are weekly programs (neither of which straddles a calendar day). Moments ago, I tried to add a third one-time recording on one of the channels for which there was already a weekly event. When I tried to add it, I got the dread "this schedule is conflict with Event 01 (sic)," which is the weekly event on the same channel. It appears to be OK to add a third event on a different channel. This somehow only has occurred when trying to add a new event on the same channel. Does that give you enough info for a better diagnosis?

BTW, I purchased this unit in the past month via Amazon. Presumably it is of recent manufacture and perhaps shipped with a newer version of the firmware. Is there an easy way to find that out?

Still open to any feedback about the other issue I have spoken of, whereby there are fewer channels showing as options for recording events in the PVR than there are being received by the unit. That's the one that is really giving me fits. Is it a known problem or something new. If the latter, I might go ahead and try emailing iView. A week or so ago I got an email from an actual employee who tried to help me with a different matter with formatting external drives (since resolved).

Thanks so much to the both of you for trying to help me on this schedule conflict error issue. I truly appreciate it!
post #4427 of 5053 Old 01-03-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only possible explanation I can give for why the iView lets you tune more channels than it lets you record is that the problematic channels are flagged as copy-once by your cable company, but I don't think the iView is even aware of DRM flags, since it doesn't have a CableCard slot and thus can't tune encrypted channels. I don't recall anybody else having this problem previously.
post #4428 of 5053 Old 01-03-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried to add a third one-time recording on one of the channels for which there was already a weekly event. When I tried to add it, I got the dread "this schedule is conflict with Event 01 (sic)," which is the weekly event on the same channel. It appears to be OK to add a third event on a different channel. This somehow only has occurred when trying to add a new event on the same channel. Does that give you enough info for a better diagnosis?
Unfortunately that does seem to be a new bug. Since the iView has only one tuner, it shouldn't matter which channel an event is on. If the times overlap, there's a conflict; otherwise, there isn't.

The only thing I can suggest is to try deleting the events and scheduling them in the opposite order; maybe that will get you past the conflict message.
Quote:
I purchased this unit in the past month via Amazon. Presumably it is of recent manufacture and perhaps shipped with a newer version of the firmware. Is there an easy way to find that out?
Earlier you said your iView has a channel 3/4 switch on the back. However, we just had two users report receiving iViews without a channel 3/4 switch. Those could be old stock, but the firmware version (v5.0) was dated Oct. 2015. Therefore, it appears iView is selling new boxes without the switch and with new firmware.

Unfortunately, when you order from Amazon, you could get anything they have in stock, since iView doesn't differentiate between the models with and without the switch. It might be worth trying to exchange it, but there's no guarantee you'd get the latest version in exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The only possible explanation I can give for why the iView lets you tune more channels than it lets you record is that the problematic channels are flagged as copy-once by your cable company, but I don't think the iView is even aware of DRM flags, since it doesn't have a CableCard slot and thus can't tune encrypted channels. I don't recall anybody else having this problem previously.
That's possible, but my understanding is any channels with DRM would also be encrypted and therefore unwatchable; otherwise they could be tuned the iView or any other clear QAM tuner, and recorded from the analog outputs, which would defeat the purpose of DRM.

Unfortunately it sounds like both of these are new (or at least, newly reported) bugs. The iView and its clones have always done poorly with cable, so I suspect most cable users give up before they even encounter these bugs.
post #4429 of 5053 Old 01-04-2016, 07:19 AM

I want to thank all of you very much for your painstaking efforts to help me. So I gather that this unit, even though it has the capability of interfacing with cable systems, really isn't set up well for it. I have been slowly coming to this conclusion over the past several days of wrestling with this thing. I got the iView (after previously trying the RCA version of it, which worked even more poorly for me), specifically because I read it WOULD work with cable. We had given up trying to completely cut the cord and depend on OTA stations (due to poor reception in our house) and switched to bare-bones cable from Time-Warner. In the process, we gave up our TWC-leased DVR, which my wife especially had become very comfortable with. So I promised her some sort of DVR replacement and thought, for a while, that this iView could do the trick with a bit of effort.

If I knew that the newest version of the hardware, with the newest firmware, would do everything we need it to do, I'd happily return the one we have and try to find a newer version, but it sounds like that might not be so easy.

Might there be another thread here dealing with recommendations for third-party DVRs that aren't leased from the cable company and not TIVO. A couple of years ago, we tried the Magnavox DVR, but it was so buggy that I returned it, then bit the bullet and leased one from TWC. I know there are alternatives for those who cutting the cord and just using OTA signals, but are there decent alternatives to TIVO that work better with cable than the iView.

Thanks again for all your help these past days. It is really appreciated!
post #4430 of 5053 Old 01-04-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd check here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...ble-dvr-s.html. It's a bit dated but most of the info is still good.

Unfortunately there aren't many good options for digital cable. Most won't provide a guide for the same reason as the iView: cable EPGs are proprietary. But you can do manual recordings, and won't have as many problems. Your best bet is probably a used TViX (name sounds like TiVo, but it's not), unless you want to go the HTPC route.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-19-2016 at 09:35 AM.
post #4431 of 5053 Old 01-04-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
We had given up trying to completely cut the cord and depend on OTA stations (due to poor reception in our house) and switched to bare-bones cable from Time-Warner.
a little OT but , did you try a roof antenna or just rabbit ears?

We have both at home and the roof antenna kicks some serious butt, even if we put the Rabbit ears 8 feet up on a cabinet it's just can't compete with a good Yagi antenna that's 20 feet up.
Not sure which Louisville your in, but in Louisville CO , or anywhere on the front range, we all point at Lookout Mt. Of course roof mounting is a little bit of a job, and I actually mounted ours to the side of the roof peak to avoid drilling holes in the roof, but I think it was well worth the effort.

Another option to get all broadcast TV is Hulu, $9. a month and it can be streamed thru many of the new devices now. Not sure How you would interface this with a DVR though?

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #4432 of 5053 Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 AM

Liked: 1
iview 3500 stb hidden firmware versions found?

When you hover over the links for firmware download on the iview website, the URL of the download link appears in the browser.

I am a new user and am not allowed to post links yet, but if your enter the iview us website followed by

slash download slash firmware slash

you can see lots of files for all of the iview product downloads.

Of particular interest are these files:

usb_upgrade_all_flashQAM.bin
usb_upgrade_all_flashV6.bin
usb_upgrade_all_flashVR.bin

that have the same name format as the other 3500stb firmware versions but are undocumented by iview.

Is V6 an improvement on V3? What is VR or QAM?

Anyone willing to risk their 3500stbII with a flash of these hidden firmware versions?
post #4433 of 5053 Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haverchuck99 View Post
When you hover over the links for firmware download on the iview website, the URL of the download link appears in the browser.

I am a new user and am not allowed to post links yet, but if your enter the iview us website followed by

that have the same name format as the other 3500stb firmware versions but are undocumented by iview.

Anyone willing to risk their 3500stbII with a flash of these hidden firmware versions?
These are files for the original iview box. They are nothing new. If you have a II box, it came with newer firmware. And if you have a box with the switch, don't load them at all.
post #4434 of 5053 Old 01-06-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haverchuck99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
These are files for the original iview box. They are nothing new. If you have a II box, it came with newer firmware. And if you have a box with the switch, don't load them at all.
Yes, these were for the original 3500STB and (except for the VR version) the original remote control that came with it.

iView made a mess when they came out with the "next-generation" STBII's, with the channel 3/4 switch (except - even more confusing - some of the newest ones have dropped the switch again!) by restarting the firmware version numbers at 1 again. For that reason, it's best to go by the firmware date rather than the version number. You'll note that V1-V3 for the "next-generation" STBII's have more recent dates than these old files do.

Two buyers have posted that they recently received a new STBII with no 3/4 switch, and firmware version 5.0. That's probably the latest firmware for the "next-generation" STBII's, but it's not on iView's web site anywhere.
post #4435 of 5053 Old 01-07-2016, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Could you answer a question about your units? If you use the antenna out coax connection to a TV can you watch one program and record another while you are feeding an antenna to the input coax connection? Does this box have a digital pass through?

I have an RCA DTA880 unit which I think is a clone of this unit so hopefully it will work the same way.
post #4436 of 5053 Old 01-08-2016, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxhaus View Post
Could you answer a question about your units? If you use the antenna out coax connection to a TV can you watch one program and record another while you are feeding an antenna to the input coax connection? Does this box have a digital pass through?

I have an RCA DTA880 unit which I think is a clone of this unit so hopefully it will work the same way.
The answer is different for different versions of the iview so you will have to find out specifically for the RCA unit instead of basing it on the iview. The simple solution is to use a splitter, which I recommend even for units that have the passthrough.
jjeff likes this.
post #4437 of 5053 Old 01-08-2016, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
The answer is different for different versions of the iview so you will have to find out specifically for the RCA unit instead of basing it on the iview. The simple solution is to use a splitter, which I recommend even for units that have the passthrough.
For the cost of a couple bucks I'd just do as jprc said, that is put a two way splitter from your wall jack with one leg going to the iView(or clone) and one going to the TV. Using the passthru on any of these boxes are problematic, some only work when the box is on, some only when off and all probably attenuate the signal the same or more than a $2 splitter. I'm all for using what you have but in this case I suggest avoiding future headaches and just get a $2(or better) splitter
post #4438 of 5053 Old 01-08-2016, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Does anybody have a link for a good splitter? Maybe Amazon as I am prime customer.

I found out the hard way turning off the RCA DTA880 unit will cause it not to record. We were gone and I had switched off the unit and of course it did not record any of my wife's shows.

Last edited by coxhaus; 01-08-2016 at 06:17 AM.
post #4439 of 5053 Old 01-08-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The technical answer to your question is yes, the iView does have RF pass-through (it calls it "loop-through"); but I agree with the previous posts: in most cases you'll be better off using a splitter. The iView's tuner overloads easily, so you often need to attenuate the input signal strength to the iView for best results, and you don't want to do that if you're feeding a TV.

Most splitters that you find in the electronics dept. of your local big-box store will work OK, but if you want a specific recommendation, try this Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=Perfect+Vision+PV22-233. That splitter is one of the few that I've seen test results for. It's inexpensive, yet low-loss and has a nice flat response across both the VHF and UHF bands.

Another option to consider is a "tap," which is kind of an unbalanced splitter with a strong and weak output, so it both splits and attenuates the signal at once. You would connect the strong output to your TV and the weak one to your iView.

Here's a link to a 9 dB tap: http://www.summitsource.com/aska-dcm...9-p-11825.html

Here's a link to a 6 dB tap: http://www.summitsource.com/aska-dcm...6-p-12078.html

The first one attenuates signals by 9 dB on it's weak output, about the same as an 8-way splitter. The second attenuates signals by 6 dB, about the same as a 4-way splitter. The strong output is almost full-strength in both cases.

Edit: I haven't looked at Amazon but I'm pretty confident you can find inexpensive splitters & taps there too. They have everything
post #4440 of 5053 Old 01-08-2016, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxhaus View Post
I found out the hard way turning off the RCA DTA880 unit will cause it not to record. We were gone and I had switched off the unit and of course it did not record any of my wife's shows.
I think the DTA880 is a clone of the iView 3200, which is very similar to the 3500 most of us have.

One point of confusion is that there are two ways to turn these boxes off: the front-panel switch, which completely removes power, will definitely prevent it from recording.

If you turn it "off" with the remote, however, it goes into "standby" and should continue to record. I say "should" because while it usually works, some folks have reported that it doesn't always work. Unfortunately none of these cheap boxes are very reliable video recorders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page