iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Both FAT32 & NTFS work with the iView. But most flash drives over 32G come formatted with exFAT, which doesn't work. That may be why you had trouble with your 64GB drive. Just reformat it with your iView and see if it works.

But none of this has anything to do with your missing codec! Above, you said you were getting that message trying to play recordings from your HDD, not just on your flash drives. A codec is software that must be installed on your PC. Changing drives won't fix the missing codec problem on your PC.

Finally, from what you've told us, it sounds like the format on your 32G drive got corrupted. That probably happened because a write command for a critical file system area got dropped during recording.

The problem with using flash drives with the iView is that it may work most of the time, but still fail disastrously when the show you're recording has bit rate that's just a teeny bit too high for the flash drive to handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
The "missing codec" error from the 64GB drive might not actually mean that his PC is missing any codecs: since the file was 0 bytes, his media player may simply issue a "missing codec" error as a default response to an empty file, even though the problem is that the file has no contents and not that the PC is missing a codec with which to play a file with no contents.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

That's true. But earlier he reported the missing codec error with his HDD also, which (I assume) is working with his iView just fine (aside from the fact that he doesn't like it spinning constantly).
Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I formated my 32G and my 64G flash drive with the Iview. I recorded a few programs, on the 32G, and played it back on the Iview, it worked fine. Then I tried it on my 2 computer and I can view the recording on the computer too. No codec, no nothing.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not Detecting Channels

Hi, I recently received a 3500STBII and it has not detected almost any of the unencrypted digital cable channels that my tv is able to find (I subscribe to cable internet but not cable tv however, by connecting my hdtv to the cable jack, I recently found that OTA stations are broadcast unencrypted over the cable, and I believe digitally because the channels are 2-1, 3-1, etc, and are clearly HD). I have tried all three firmware updates (v1, v2, and v3, since I have a model with the ch 3/4 switch), but v2 and v3 were only able to find one channel (2-3), and v1 none. I set it to Cable (as opposed to Air, which naturally found nothing as I don't have OTA reception) and tried with and without the "antenna power" option turned on, without effect.

Any ideas/help are greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohns View Post
Hi, I recently received a 3500STBII and it has not detected almost any of the unencrypted digital cable channels that my tv is able to find (I subscribe to cable internet but not cable tv however, by connecting my hdtv to the cable jack, I recently found that OTA stations are broadcast unencrypted over the cable, and I believe digitally because the channels are 2-1, 3-1, etc, and are clearly HD). I have tried all three firmware updates (v1, v2, and v3, since I have a model with the ch 3/4 switch), but v2 and v3 were only able to find one channel (2-3), and v1 none. I set it to Cable (as opposed to Air, which naturally found nothing as I don't have OTA reception) and tried with and without the "antenna power" option turned on, without effect.

How are you using using iView-3500STB? Antenna out should go to iView-3500STB input and hdmi out from iView-3500STB should go to your tv. Did you try to connect antenna directly to tv to see if you get any channels?Did you go to AntennaWeb.org, to see what channels you can get ota?
Old 12-21-2015, 01:07 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am connecting the coax from the cable jack (not an antenna) to ant in on the iview and connecting the iview to my hdtv using hdmi to hdmi. When I bypass the iview and connect the coax directly to my tv, I receive unencrypted digital cable channels corresponding to the OTA stations (but this signal is from my cable internet provider, not from an antenna--I would need a roof antenna for receiving air transmissions here, which I don't have).

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
How are you using using iView-3500STB? Antenna out should go to iView-3500STB input and hdmi out from iView-3500STB should go to your tv. Did you try to connect antenna directly to tv to see if you get any channels?Did you go to AntennaWeb.org, to see what channels you can get ota?
Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohns View Post
Hi, I recently received a 3500STBII and it has not detected almost any of the unencrypted digital cable channels that my tv is able to find.... I have tried all three firmware updates (v1, v2, and v3, since I have a model with the ch 3/4 switch), but v2 and v3 were only able to find one channel (2-3), and v1 none.

This is sort of a shot in the dark, but when you tried v1, did it find a bunch of stations with strange channel numbers, most of which wouldn't work?

Others have reported that v1 finds both unencrypted and encrypted channels, although you can only watch the unencrypted ones, of course. But the channel numbers are totally different than they should be, so you have to hunt for the unencrypted ones.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 PM

At your suggestion, I just tried the full scan with V1 (previously I had just spot checked a few stations with it). It did not find the main station signals (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS), but, as you say, it did find a ton of encrypted channels and a few unencrypted (QVC, CSPAN2, HSN, etc).

Oh well, thanks anyway for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
This is sort of a shot in the dark, but when you tried v1, did it find a bunch of stations with strange channel numbers, most of which wouldn't work?

Others have reported that v1 finds both unencrypted and encrypted channels, although you can only watch the unencrypted ones, of course. But the channel numbers are totally different than they should be, so you have to hunt for the unencrypted ones.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

At least you're getting somewhere now. If it didn't find all your unencrypted channels, it's probably because it stopped when it reached 400 channels, and your local stations are up above the 400th channel.

There is a way to scan more channels, but it's lengthy and cumbersome:

1. Write down all the unencrypted channel numbers you found that you want to keep.
  2. Write down the highest channel number it found (encrypted or not), except channels 95-99.
  3. Clear your iView's channel memory by disconnecting the cable and running another full scan.
  4. Reconnect the cable and manually scan the RF channel numbers (number before the dash) of the channels you wrote down in step 1, to get back the unencrypted channels you want.
  5. Manually scan the RF channel number (number before the dash) of the highest channel that was scanned in step 2.
  6. Manually scan every RF channel number from that number up to your cable system's top RF channel (probably 125).

With luck, you'll find your local stations hiding somewhere among those high RF channel numbers. Once you find all the channels you want, you can go back and delete the encrypted ones and any others you don't want. And you'll probably want to rename your channels to remind you what they "really" are.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-24-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Cable channels 95-99 are not "higher" than other channels
Old 12-24-2015, 04:22 AM

Thank you!

I didn't realize there was a limit to the channels. I tried what you said, but it didn't quite work as there weren't any signals on channels above the highest the auto scan had found (99).

So I decided to poke around my tv menus, lo and behold I found that it could tell me the "true"channel number and not just the virtual one, and the true numbers were below 99. So I followed your suggestion, clearing everything and manually scanning those specific channels (78, 83, etc), lo and behold, there the signals were!

So maybe the auto scan doesn't go in order of channel number? Otherwise, I don't understand why it didn't find them.

Anyway, thank you again!

Also, I need to get an external hd for PVR function, is it preferable get one that is a desktop hd over laptop hd?

Thanks!

Quote:
At least you're getting somewhere now. If it didn't find all your unencrypted channels, it's probably because it stopped when it reached 400 channels, and your local stations are up above the 400th channel.

There is a way to scan more channels, but it's lengthy and cumbersome:

1. Write down all the unencrypted channel numbers you found that you want to keep.
  2. Write down the highest channel number it found (encrypted or not).
  3. Clear your iView's channel memory by disconnecting the cable and running another full scan.
  4. Reconnect the cable and manually scan the RF channel numbers (number before the dash) of the channels you wrote down in step 1, to get back the unencrypted channels you want.
  5. Manually scan the RF channel number (number before the dash) of the highest channel that was scanned in step 2.
  6. Manually scan every RF channel number from that number up to your cable system's top RF channel (probably 125).

With luck, you'll find your local stations hiding somewhere among those high RF channel numbers. Once you find all the channels you want, you can go back and delete the encrypted ones and any others you don't want. And you'll probably want to rename your channels to remind you what they "really" are.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations! I too have no idea why the auto-scan didn't find all the channels. But at least your TV gave you the info you needed for a manual scan, and that did work.

Edit: I just realized there's a good chance the iView scans channels 95-99 right after it scans 2-6! Reason is, cable channel frequencies differ from OTA: in frequency order they go 2-6, 95-99, 14-22, 7-13, 23-94, then 100-up. So maybe it hit 400 channels before it got to channel 78 where your first OTA channel was, but that would still have included 95-99. I changed my earlier post to reflect this wrinkle. Anyway, as long as you got it to work....

For an external HDD, I recommend true HDDs over flash drives. Other than that, it doesn't matter much which kind of drive you use (2.5" vs. 3.5", 5400 vs. 7200 RPM, etc. all seem to work fine).

Also, try to avoid putting too much stress on the iView's USB port when plugging in or unplugging the HDD. It's easy to break the foil traces on the printed-circuit board by bending the USB port too much. One way to help is to plug a short USB extension into the iView, then plug the HDD into that.

Another thing to consider is USB-powered HDDs vs. externally-powered ones. Generally I prefer externally-powered HDDs, because the iView's USB port doesn't have a lot of power, and some USB-powered drives (especially USB 3.0) either won't work at all, or draw so much power the iView overheats and shuts down. But some externally-powered HDDs may not shut off when the iView does, resulting in wasted power and extra wear on the drive motor.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-24-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just received my 3500STBII from Amazon. My unit doesn't have the channel 3/4 switch
Here is the info that is listed on the system screen:

SW: 20151022V5.0
HW: 78021237836650

My input is clear QAM cable. I don't need a cable box. The co-ax cable coming from the wall is connected directly to my TV

Is it the SW level that I need to do this? I've done a scan and I didn't get anything.
I have read thru most of this forum and didn't see my SW level mentionned anywhere. The same applies to the Iview site.

Any help would greatly br appreciated.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

That software version is very new (this year). So, despite the fact that your box doesn't have a channel 3/4 switch, if I had to guess I'd say it's compatible with the new firmware meant for boxes with the switch. Turns out that's probably wrong. It appears that iView changed the SoC from a 7816 to a 7802. Mediasonic did the same thing to their Homeworxes for a hot minute last year, although they went back to the 7816 later.

However, I wouldn't guess. I'd write iView and describe the problem. Mention a few digital cable channels that work with, say, your TV but don't show up on the iView. They can tell you for certain which firmware is compatible with your box, and probably even email it to you.

Edit: BTW, anyone else with a new iView with a firmware version greater than 3, please let the rest of us know. Also let us know if the "CC bug" and "midnight bug" have been fixed in your firmware version:

Midnight bug: When trying to schedule an event that crosses midnight, a conflict is incorrectly reported if any other events are scheduled on the start day.

CC bug: The CC key does not work when playing back a recording (says "invalid" instead of turning on closed captions).

Both of these bugs have been present in all earlier iView firmware versions, but were addressed in recent firmware versions for the nearly identical Homeworx.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-18-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
just got one of these for 37 bucks delivered. Can't complain much for the price, it's built pretty solid from what I can see and the remote is a good size, (made for adult hands), programmable to turn the TV on/off etc. Sends a nice 1080i component signal to my old CRT direct view, etc.
However there's a couple of things I really hate (I've thumbed thru the thread but not going to read 4K posts and most of it looks DVR related) . If you know the answer to these please respond
thanks

1) the remote is 100% directional, if your not pointed directly at box it does not work. I mean slightly off left/right or up /down and there's no signal. does the firmware fix this?

2) The "program guide" window is huge and almost useless. My old Zenith box would give you a synopsis of the show, even for something like a Star Trek episode it would say " Scotty and McCoy beam down to planet get kidnapped" etc. This one tells you nothing and in order for the guide to work you have to be on the channel, you can't flip thru the guide without switching channels.

3) the volume and channel arrow buttons are opposite from any other remote in the world. Volume is up/down and channel is left-right, Unless your in the Program guide, then the volume arrow keys become the channel selectors.
arrggh, this one is really annoying

Other than this i like the box in general, and hopefully the software updates address some of these.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Firmware won't fix the directionality of the remote. But there is a trick you can try: place a piece of Scotch transparent tape over the infrared LED at the front of the remote. This will scatter the beam a bit and make the remote a little less directional.

Also make sure you have really good batteries in the remote for the strongest possible beam. I've found Energizer lithium AA batteries work really well, although they're kind of expensive.

You might try making the on-screen windows partially transparent. There's a menu setting for that. While you're in the menus, could you check the firmware version and post back what you find? New boxes seem to have a new version (5.0), but it's not listed on iView's website yet. iView is really slow to update their website.

When you press the EPG button, the program guide should be a split screen, with the upcoming shows on the left and the synopsis of the selected show on the right. But it may be slow for the info to fill in; since the iView doesn't save guide info, you have to wait for the station to broadcast it every time you hit EPG. I wish they would change it to save guide info for every channel you tune to, so you didn't have to wait for it to fill in every time you hit EPG, but I think the box was made with too little internal memory for that.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:16 PM

When I use the EPG function, to record programs, the last 2 or 3 minutes are always missing. I tried to see if there was a clock setting but found none. How does EPG know when to start and stop recording? In other words, it starts too early and stops too early.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2015, 02:16 PM

When I use the EPG function, to record programs, the last 2 or 3 minutes are always missing. I tried to see if there was a clock setting but found none. How does EPG know when to start and stop recording? In other words, it starts too early and stops too early.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2015, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post

Thanks
You can manually set the recording times to a few minutes before and after the scheduled time. Check the time on that channel to see if it is off at all so you know if you need to adjust the recording times even further. You shouldn't use the EPG to set recordings, or just use it for a starting point, and then go to the scheduled program and change the times there. The EPG just sets the recording for whatever time it is supposed to start according to the information sent by the station and then stops it on a timer basis for how many minutes later it is set from beginning. Just manually program the recordings yourself so it records when you want it to.

Last edited by jprc; 12-31-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post

Thanks
It uses a time signal broadcast by the station itself. But as jprc said, sometimes those time signals are incorrect.

Tune to the station and compare the station's time (in the upper right corner of the info box) to an accurate clock (such as your cell phone). You'll probably find the station's clock is fast.

To be fair, it could also be that the station's time is OK but the programming itself is starting and ending late. But either way, the fix is the same: when you schedule a recording, add 2 minutes to the start time and 3 minutes to the end time to compensate.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 AM

This is what I do now. I set the programming myself.
Since I often record 2 or 3 programs that follows each other, at the same channel, I set the time with 2 minutes offset. I'm experimenting...
Once I wanted to record 4 programs, one after the other, of half an hour each and on the same channel, so what I did is set the programming for 2 hours. When I went to view it, I could play the first program, but I had no control over the "pause" and the other controls. I couldn't play the 3 other programs. I tried recording other programs, after that, and nothing worked anymore. I had to reformat the flash drive. Now it's working again.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Firmware won't fix the directionality of the remote. But there is a trick you can try: place a piece of Scotch transparent tape over the infrared LED at the front of the remote. This will scatter the beam a bit and make the remote a little less directional..Also make sure you have really good batteries in the remote for the strongest possible beam. I've found Energizer lithium AA batteries work really well, although they're kind of expensive.
thanks, it already came with new lithium's in it ( testing at 1.7vdc) , and the scotch tape helped a little , but the real problem i found is that the IR receiver is not on the front panel of the box like normal devices. the receiver is on the LED display panel, and since that is set back 1/2" from the front of the box this means the receiver is basically in a "hole". This would need a design change of the box to fix. Either moving the receiver to separate location or pushing the LED panel forward so it's flush with the front of the box. Another fix I've seen before on other devices is to put a small, clear plastic, multi-faceted"crystal" on the front window that would pick up the IR beam from many angles and re-direct back into the hole.
I might try this, but it's Disappointing that this was never tested prior to production.

Quote:
You might try making the on-screen windows partially transparent. There's a menu setting for that. While you're in the menus, could you check the firmware version and post back what you find? New boxes seem to have a new version (5.0), but it's not listed on iView's website yet. iView is really slow to update their website.

When you press the EPG button, the program guide should be a split screen, with the upcoming shows on the left and the synopsis of the selected show on the right. But it may be slow for the info to fill in; since the iView doesn't save guide info, you have to wait for the station to broadcast it every time you hit EPG. I wish they would change it to save guide info for every channel you tune to, so you didn't have to wait for it to fill in every time you hit EPG, but I think the box was made with too little internal memory for that.
I already had the EPG window at like 70% transparency, but it's annoying to have this huge firggin box that fills up 80% of the screen and tells you almost nothing. I've waited for a minute or 2 and no programming shows up. My old Zenith would do this a little slowly too, like 5 seconds, but it did do it in a box that was only 1/4 of the screen or less and you could check all the channels by using the left/right arrow keys and not leave the channel you were on.

I'm showing V5 software from 10-22-2015, so ti doesn't look like my issues will be fixed any time soon. oh well, this is a secondary set now anyway. The Fam got themselves a big 43" LED now for gaming and such

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the same version barth90 reported: 2015/10/22, v5.0. It seems to be the newest. Barth90 also reported that his iView no longer had the channel 3/4 switch in the back, so I assume they went back to setting that (or loop through) in the menu. That's the way the original iViews worked.

I suspect iView may have a disaster in the making. If you look at their website, it says the latest firmware for iViews without a switch is V13, which certainly sounds a lot newer than V5.0. But it's actually much older and was for iViews with a different demod chip that's not made anymore. I'm afraid a lot of folks will download and try to install V13 on their new iViews, probably with disastrous results. Maybe these new iViews implement some sort of check that won't allow older, incompatible firmware to be installed, but iView has never shown that level of foresight before.

Regarding the EPG, I've confirmed it does work, including descriptions; but it loads very slowly. Like I said, I think they built these boxes with way too little memory, so to make do, the firmware throws everything away and starts from scratch every time you bring up the EPG or move to another channel (or even subchannel). It also limits the EPG to about a day's data even if there's more. With a single tuner as its only data source, it can't show you a channel's guide without tuning to it first, but if it had more memory, it could at least collect EPG data as you surf and show you everything it's collected whenever you press the button.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Folks, I am new to this forum with some questions that may have been addressed in the past. My apologies for that. I recently purchased a iView 3500stbII (with a CH 3-4 switch). It is a pretty remarkable gadget for the money, but it is awfully hard to nail down and get everything working. Here is the problem: I have downloaded and installed all three of the most recent firmware updates to be able to use this unit with cable TV, as opposed to OTA (before installing the updates, it wouldn't pick up any cable channels with the firmware it was shipped with). I tried each, doing an auto-scan and painstakingly going through all the scrambled channels to get at the ones that actually came through. The first firmware update (labeled V1) is the most comprehensive, filled with every channel in the cable system, including all the scrambled ones. The other two (V2 and V3), only show a very short list of broadcast channels after doing the auto-scan.

So, I went back to V1 and painstakingly deleted all but the active channels. Here are the problems I am having: I can scroll through all of the available channels using the remote and watch the signal through the iView live, but a) there is no programming information available for any of them when I select the program guide, and b) when I go to the PVR scheduling section to set up a program to record on one of the available channels, it only shows a small number of those channels—basically just local broadcast channels, but not even all of them. Do any of you know a workaround to add those "missing" channels to the PVR list so that they can recorded on my external HD? That is my primary issue. One thing I wanted to note was that even when I was using V3 with only the local broadcast channels, I still wasn’t able to see 20 of the stations that the unit found when it did the auto-scan in the PVR recording menu. It missed of them, including our local CBS affiliate, which has much of the network programming I wish to record. Frankly, if I could just get all the local stations to properly be “seen” by the PVR using V3 of the firmware, I could live with that, since most of what we recorded on our old TWC-leased DVR was broadcast network programming. But I suspect the overall problem I’m having with the PVR only seeing certain channels, and any possible work-around, are the same with V1 and V2.

The secondary issue is whether you know of a way that I can start getting program guide info for the channels I do have. I have read that this unit doesn’t have much RAM, which affects how much program guide info it can store. If there IS a way to add these other cable channels to list of channels the PVR can record, I’ll be a happy camper. I can deal with the lack of program guide info if need be. Many, many thanks for any suggestions you might have.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The iView gets its guide from PSIP, which is something that only OTA stations provide (usually). Cable systems usually strip PSIP so they can add their own guide data that their proprietary cable boxes use. The iView can't understand that guide data, so it shows nothing.

Another problem with using the iView with cable is that it uses PSIP to set its clock, so if none of your stations have PSIP, then the iView doesn't know what time it is, so you can't make any scheduled recordings. The only way to get around this is if you have at least one station with a clock, you can tune the iView to that station before you make a recording so that it knows what the current time is.

The only way to avoid these problems is to get an antenna and record OTA so that you'll have the PSIP guide and time data that the iView needs.
jjeff likes this.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can live without the program guide. My big hope is that there is a way to make sure all the available channels that are being picked up by the receiver are showing up in the channel line-up within the scheduler for the PVR. This has been a consistent problem--even happening when I first tried to use this unit with just OTA channels (I gave up because the reception was so back in my house that I just downgraded by cable package to the very most basic package offered).

Any suggestions out there for this channel mismatch issue within the PVR? Is this par for the course or possible something I'm doing wrong (or even a defect in my particular unit).

Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

PSIP is also responsible for hiding the RF channel number of each network and showing you the nice numbers that you're accustomed to seeing. It's possible that the iView is finding all of your channels, but because you don't have PSIP, they're mapped to their raw RF numbers and not the friendly numbers that you're used to seeing. This is problematic for cable systems, since they use their own form of PSIP to mask which channel is which (and it is also particularly important on cable, as they tend to remap channel numbers frequently).

You'd have to check the content of each channel in order to find out what it really is, since the iView can't use your cable company's guide data to tell you which channel is which. Any channel that the iView can't tune means that it's either encrypted, or you ran into the cap on how many channels you can have, so the iView stopped scanning and didn't pick up all of the really high channel numbers.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Thank you for all this info. I've stopped worrying about why I'm not seeing all the program guide info--I can get that from the Time Warner app on my iPad. The vexing problem is one where the PVR won't let me record programs on certain channels--even when they are local broadcast channels with low numbers, not the high channel numbers you mentioned above. To recap, I'm now using the V3 firmware, which picks up just 20 of the local broadcast channels on the receiver (and zero cable channels). But in the PVR scheduler module, there are only 16 of those channels being shown as options for recording programming. So effectively, there is no way to record programs on those other four stations other than manually being in front of the TV in real time and hitting "record." So that is the major issue that is before me.

A secondary issue, which I've seen that others here have had before me, is that the PVR doesn't seem to like to record too many programs on any one channel. When I go to record a 2nd or 3rd program on that channel I get an error message saying there is a conflict with (item 1, item 2, etc.). A work around was explained in another post, but I couldn't understand it. I am not very well versed in technology and don't understand all the acronyms sometimes used here (I had to Google PSIP and after reading the Wikipedia article on it, I still don't really understand what it is other than some sort of industry standard for how digital TV data is coded/expressed/stored).

Any suggestions for either of these issues?
Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Thank you for all this info. I've stopped worrying about why I'm not seeing all the program guide info--I can get that from the Time Warner app on my iPad. The vexing problem is one where the PVR won't let me record programs on certain channels--even when they are local broadcast channels with low numbers, not the high channel numbers you mentioned above. To recap, I'm now using the V3 firmware, which picks up just 20 of the local broadcast channels on the receiver (and zero cable channels). But in the PVR scheduler module, there are only 16 of those channels being shown as options for recording programming. So effectively, there is no way to record programs on those other four stations other than manually being in front of the TV in real time and hitting "record." So that is the major issue that is before me.

A secondary issue, which I've seen that others here have had before me, is that the PVR doesn't seem to like to record too many programs on any one channel. When I go to record a 2nd or 3rd program on that channel I get an error message saying there is a conflict with (item 1, item 2, etc.). A work around was explained in another post, but I couldn't understand it. I am not very well versed in technology and don't understand all the acronyms sometimes used here (I had to Google PSIP and after reading the Wikipedia article on it, I still don't really understand what it is other than some sort of industry standard for how digital TV data is coded/expressed/stored).

Any suggestions for either of these issues?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleDan View Post
A secondary issue, which I've seen that others here have had before me, is that the PVR doesn't seem to like to record too many programs on any one channel. When I go to record a 2nd or 3rd program on that channel I get an error message saying there is a conflict with (item 1, item 2, etc.). A work around was explained in another post, but I couldn't understand it.
One specific case where we've seen this type of issue is the "midnight bug." Briefly, if you try to set up a recording that spans midnight (i.e., the end time is less than the start time; e.g., 23:00-00:00), the iView will erroneously report a conflict with any other recordings on the same day. If this is your issue, the workaround is to schedule the midnight-spanning recording first, then schedule the others. Of course, if you've already scheduled the others, you'll have to delete them all, schedule the midnight-spanning recording, the reschedule all the others. (Bummer.)

The "midnight bug" may be fixed in firmware v5.0 for the iView, but no one has confirmed that yet. At the moment you'd have to buy a new iView to get the new firmware anyway.

If that's not your issue, please post a specific example. It may be a new bug. (Major bummer.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement