iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

post #4501 of 5075 Old 02-04-2016, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm looking to cut the cord and get a digital antenna instead. I found the iview at Walmart for $35 and am wondering if it will suit my needs. I'm wondering if this device is compatible with a Series 2 Tivo. I'd like my Tivo to be able to change the channel on my digital converter box (via IR cable/IR blaster/serial cable). Has anyone had success controlling this box from a Tivo with an IR blaster? I also need to know if this box outputs Dolby Digital sound via the digital coaxial output. I want to connect the analog composite outputs to my analog Tivo for SD recording while still being able to watch live HDTV via the component video (my TV has no HDMI) and digital coax audio outputs. If this won't work for me, could anyone please suggest an alternate digital tv converter box that will?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 5075 Old 02-04-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreatCornholio View Post
I'm looking to cut the cord and get a digital antenna instead. I found the iview at Walmart for $35 and am wondering if it will suit my needs. I'm wondering if this device is compatible with a Series 2 Tivo. I'd like my Tivo to be able to change the channel on my digital converter box (via IR cable/IR blaster/serial cable). Has anyone had success controlling this box from a Tivo with an IR blaster?
Some folks have successfully controlled the iView from an XBox One, but I don't know of anyone who's controlled it from a TiVo. You should probably see if your TiVo lists the iView in its remote control database. I think the Series 2 is older than the iView, but the iView may still have been added via an update from TiVo.
Quote:
I also need to know if this box outputs Dolby Digital sound via the digital coaxial output.
Yes, in RAW mode (a menu setting on the iView).
Quote:
I want to connect the analog composite outputs to my analog Tivo for SD recording while still being able to watch live HDTV via the component video (my TV has no HDMI) and digital coax audio outputs.
All outputs are active whenever the iView is on, so your channel's video will appear simultaneously on both the composite (in SD) and component (in HD) outputs. Similarly the audio will appear on both the L/R stereo and digital coaxial outputs.
Quote:
If this won't work for me, could anyone please suggest an alternate digital tv converter box that will?
Just avoid the Channel Master CM-7001. IIRC its composite video output is only available if you set its component output to 480i, so it can't give you a channel in both HD and SD at once.

A used Dish DTVPal or Channel Master CM-7000Pal would probably work, although a 2-tuner DVR is probably overkill for your purposes.
post #4503 of 5075 Old 02-04-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Yes a CM-7000 CECB would no doubt be able to be controlled by your Tivo as it uses some old IR codes, not sure about the newer iView, as JHBrandt said you might need to contact Tivo to see if they list a code for it.

post #4504 of 5075 Old 02-04-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually I was referring to the DVR that CM sold under a very similar part number (CM-7000Pal). But yes, CECBs like the CM-7000 (without the "Pal") probably use remote codes that work.

The only problem with CECBs is that by law, the best they could do was S-video (no HD outputs were allowed).
post #4505 of 5075 Old 02-07-2016, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my friends are over tonight watching the super bowl, and for some reason while we're watching, the 3500stbii just decides to delete the channel we're watching.

Now I can't exactly just "add" the channel number back, since the only way the scan works is through the actual bandwidth (mhz) number from the cable line. So I have to start the auto-scan ALL over again. And then figure out how to find the channel I was looking for.

What a complete piece of garbage. Time to find something new. Any recommendations?
post #4506 of 5075 Old 02-08-2016, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Very frustrating I'm sure, unfortunately since it sounds like your using clear QAM you don't have a lot of reliable alternatives well other than a Tivo and that would require a CC and much more expensive than the lowly iView. You don't think there is any chance that your local cable company is using SDV where they can switch channels but there own boxes are able to follow the channel with no problem? Other than that I don't know what to say as to why your iView up and deleted a channel being watched, other than the overall quirkiness of the iView and clear QAM in general. If you have a clear QAM TV tuner does it ever flake out like that, or is it limited to the iView?
If your not adverse to involving your PC to watch TV you have several options but for reliable standalone boxes that work with QAM your choices are very limited indeed. Maybe someone else will come up with something better....
post #4507 of 5075 Old 02-08-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post
So my friends are over tonight watching the super bowl, and for some reason while we're watching, the 3500stbii just decides to delete the channel we're watching.

Now I can't exactly just "add" the channel number back, since the only way the scan works is through the actual bandwidth (mhz) number from the cable line. So I have to start the auto-scan ALL over again. And then figure out how to find the channel I was looking for.

What a complete piece of garbage. Time to find something new. Any recommendations?
What jjeff said. Modern TVs typically have clear QAM tuners that work better than the iView, but if you're looking for something to record clear QAM, there are few good options besides TiVo and a PC.

Perhaps a used TViX? The bigger problem is, your cable company could decide to encrypt all channels tomorrow and wipe out any investment you make.
post #4508 of 5075 Old 02-08-2016, 08:26 PM

I have two other TV's hooked up directly without ever having an issue. They have "normal" channel numbers and never really lose anything. I use the iView because I'm running the output to a projector. I need to figure out what else I can do; I wish there was a quick firmware upgrade or something; I'm pretty sure I have the latest version.
post #4509 of 5075 Old 02-09-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I feel your pain. As I said most TV tuners work fine with clear QAM. I take it your projector lacks a clear QAM tuner though, so you need a box like the iView.

Channel Master sells a tuner called the CM-7001 that tunes clear QAM. I tried it for OTA use and hated it: it was expensive yet seriously lacking in features, so I wound up selling it on eBay. For OTA the iView is a far better box for about 1/3 the cost. But for clear QAM, the CM-7001 might be just the ticket for you.

BTW, iView continues to make their firmware ridiculously confusing. For what's supposed to be a single model (the 3500STBII) there are three two different sets of firmware on their web site:

1. V9 or V13 for older boxes without a channel 3/4 switch
  2. V1, V2, or V3 for boxes with a channel 3/4 switch
  3. Two versions (both labeled "V1" ) for newer boxes without a channel 3/4 switch

Using firmware from the wrong "set" could ruin your iView. Good grief.

The new "V1" firmware releases are significantly larger than the others (6MB vs about 3MB). I don't know why, but the new firmware files are .rar compressed files containing what appears to be two copies of the firmware itself: an uncompressed copy named just "flash.bin" and a compressed copy having the usual "usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin" name. It's not exactly clear how you're supposed to update the new boxes' firmware from those files, but I assume you extract the compressed copy to a FAT32 thumb drive and follow the usual update procedure with that.

Edit: iView has now removed V9 and V13 (for older STBIIs w/o the switch) from their download page. Probably just as well, since Amazon hasn't sold one of those old iView boxes for a long time. (I have a copy of V9 & V13 though, just in case I ever run across one of those older iViews.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-18-2016 at 07:50 PM.
post #4510 of 5075 Old 02-10-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Some folks have successfully controlled the iView from an XBox One, but I don't know of anyone who's controlled it from a TiVo. You should probably see if your TiVo lists the iView in its remote control database. I think the Series 2 is older than the iView, but the iView may still have been added via an update from TiVo.
Yes, in RAW mode (a menu setting on the iView).
All outputs are active whenever the iView is on, so your channel's video will appear simultaneously on both the composite (in SD) and component (in HD) outputs. Similarly the audio will appear on both the L/R stereo and digital coaxial outputs.
Thanks for the info. Tivo doesn't support this device. They have a list of devices that I'm sure is at least 10 years old. They aren't going to do anything for Series 2 owners, and as this is an old device and I have a lifetime subscription (so they can't make any more money off of me) and they want to "encourage" me to upgrade (they even recently removed the internet access apps, which really steams me as I liked to stream reggae on Live365 while cooking). Luckily, I found a web page showing it's possible to hack your Tivo and capture and put in your own IR translation file. I decided to go with the iView and got it today. I'll figure out the Tivo part later. Of course Walmart decided to delay the shipment of my antenna until next Tuesday, so I don't have a DD source to test yet. Interestingly, my box has three digital audio settings, including two RAW settings: PCM, RAW HDMI ON, and RAW HDMI OFF. I haven't the slightest idea what the difference is between the last two is.
post #4511 of 5075 Old 02-10-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm guessing TiVo intended the IR blaster feature to be used with things like satellite receivers, AT&T U-Verse, and the like, where the TiVo's own tuners couldn't be used. Let us know if you're able to hack it to control the iView.

PCM is supposed to decode the DD audio, down-mix 5.1 to stereo if necessary, and send the decoded stereo sound to both the coaxial and HDMI ports.

RAW HDMI ON is supposed to send the raw DD audio to both the coaxial and HDMI ports.

RAW HDMI OFF is a hybrid; it's supposed to send the raw DD audio to the coaxial port and the decoded stereo sound to the HDMI port. This is because some older TVs don't support DD audio, so they need the decoded audio to play anything; but you can still send raw DD audio to an AVR via the coaxial port, and get DD 5.1 surround sound from your AVR if the channel you're watching has it.

If your output is getting raw DD audio, the iView's volume control won't work, unless you lower it all the way to zero (or press the iView's Mute button). Any other volume level from 1-32 is about equal to a volume setting of 24 in PCM mode (at least it was on the TV I tried it with).
post #4512 of 5075 Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I feel your pain. As I said most TV tuners work fine with clear QAM. I take it your projector lacks a clear QAM tuner though, so you need a box like the iView.

Channel Master sells a tuner called the CM-7001 that tunes clear QAM. I tried it for OTA use and hated it: it was expensive yet seriously lacking in features, so I wound up selling it on eBay. For OTA the iView is a far better box for about 1/3 the cost. But for clear QAM, the CM-7001 might be just the ticket for you.
Hi JH,

What would you say you hated about the CM? Did you ever have any problems with it?

For anyone, has anyone tried the CM on clearQAM? As much as I don't want to spend the money for another more expensive TV box, it may be worth it just because of the iview hassle.
post #4513 of 5075 Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The CM-7001? Well, it did tune digital OTA stations and had component & HDMI outputs. But IIRC that was about it for the plus side.

On the minus side? Well, let's see:

• No way to delete or hide unwanted channels. If it picked it up during a scan, it was in your channel list - period.
  • No "favorite channel" list, so you couldn't mitigate the above problem by only surfing favorite channels.
    (By the way, the CM-7000 CECB had both of the above features, so I rather expected them in a product labeled the CM-7001.)
  • No way to manually scan individual channels, so you couldn't even get around the above problem by simply not scanning unwanted channels in the first place.
    Basically, the box forced me to surf through a thicket of unwanted infomercial and Spanish religious channels, rendering the "channel up" and "channel down" buttons on the remote useless.
  • It did have something it called an "EPG:" current and upcoming program only. (The CM-7000 CECB showed the next 12 hours of programming.)
  • The final straw was that if you set the HD outputs to any resolution above 480i, the SD (composite and RF) outputs were effectively disabled by replacing the channel's video with a cryptic message! So if you're using the SD outputs and accidentally hit the button to change the resolution, you lose your picture and have no idea how to get it back! Not a huge deal, but after the above, I was about ready to throw the ^&#$ thing through the TV!
    (You'll note that, despite its own issues, the iView has none of the above drawbacks.)
  • And all that for the low low price of $140, enough for three iViews with $$ to spare. (Although to be fair, I did get 15% off so I "only" paid $119.)

In short, it's an extremely basic, no-frills (and I mean no frills) tuner, which would be fine for $25. Shockingly, when I sold it on eBay it went for about $70

However, it was supposed to tune clear QAM, and despite its drawbacks, I doubt it'd give you the headaches the iView does with clear QAM. Just try to pick one up used on eBay rather than shelling out for a new one from CM.
post #4514 of 5075 Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 PM

I've been enjoying my new iView the past few days. However, I encountered a problem while trying out the PVR functionality for the first time today. For some reason when I play the recording, there is no audio to the digital coax out (but the analog out is fine!). If I switch back to live TV or watch a .mp4 on the USB, I get audio on the digital coax just fine. I was time-shifting while it was recording (paused it while I went to make a sandwich) and the audio was also fine (I had to stop it though, as the time-shift progress bar seems to stay onscreen the entire time and unfortunately I was watching a Korean show and the bar was covering the subtitles). I just tested it again with a brief regular (non-scheduled) recording and have the same problem. I have my digital audio out set to RAW HDMI On.

I have another question... Sometimes my audio gets messed up and sounds all echo-y on every channel. Powering it off and then on again via the remote fixes it. Is something wrong with my box perhaps?
post #4515 of 5075 Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing TiVo intended the IR blaster feature to be used with things like satellite receivers, AT&T U-Verse, and the like, where the TiVo's own tuners couldn't be used. Let us know if you're able to hack it to control the iView.
Will do.

Quote:
RAW HDMI OFF is a hybrid; it's supposed to send the raw DD audio to the coaxial port and the decoded stereo sound to the HDMI port. This is because some older TVs don't support DD audio, so they need the decoded audio to play anything; but you can still send raw DD audio to an AVR via the coaxial port, and get DD 5.1 surround sound from your AVR if the channel you're watching has it.

If your output is getting raw DD audio, the iView's volume control won't work, unless you lower it all the way to zero (or press the iView's Mute button). Any other volume level from 1-32 is about equal to a volume setting of 24 in PCM mode (at least it was on the TV I tried it with).
On my box, setting it to RAW HDMI OFF actually kills the output of the coax. The volume issue isn't a problem for me as I use my A/V receiver for volume control.
post #4516 of 5075 Old 02-16-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my box, setting it to RAW HDMI OFF actually kills the output of the coax.
Wow - that sounds like a bug. Oh well, as long as it has a setting that works....
post #4517 of 5075 Old 02-16-2016, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

(I had to stop it though, as the time-shift progress bar seems to stay onscreen the entire time and unfortunately I was watching a Korean show and the bar was covering the subtitles).

I know this wasn't the main part of your post, but just hit the exit button to get rid of the bar.
post #4518 of 5075 Old 02-17-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
I know this wasn't the main part of your post, but just hit the exit button to get rid of the bar.
Ah, thanks. I wish I had known that, as I could have watched my movie in HD. Now it appears I will have to watch the analog version instead due to the sound issue I mentioned.
post #4519 of 5075 Old 02-17-2016, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Wow - that sounds like a bug. Oh well, as long as it has a setting that works....
Hmmm... It sounds like a hardware problem with my box if that is not normal behavior, unless somehow I have bad firmware. The firmware update page is quite scary.

The version that came on mine is: 20151022V5.0
post #4520 of 5075 Old 02-17-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I encountered a problem while trying out the PVR functionality for the first time today. For some reason when I play the recording, there is no audio to the digital coax out (but the analog out is fine!). If I switch back to live TV or watch a .mp4 on the USB, I get audio on the digital coax just fine.
Have you tried the workaround described elsewhere on this thread? Connect your HDD to a PC and rename your recording, changing the extension from .mts to just .ts. Then plug the HDD back into the iView and play the recording under the"movie" section instead of the "PVR" section of the USB menu. You should get your digital audio.
Quote:
Hmmm... It sounds like a hardware problem with my box if that is not normal behavior, unless somehow I have bad firmware. The firmware update page is quite scary.

You have what I believe is the latest version, but even after multiple revisions iView's firmware is still rather buggy, so I'd bet on it being a firmware bug. BTW, if your recording's audio is in Korean and you need captions, I'm not sure whether your box will do that. Some firmware versions seem to work while others don't - and the "latest" version isn't necessarily the one that will work!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-17-2016 at 07:39 AM.
post #4521 of 5075 Old 02-18-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, when you play a recording, does the CC button work or does it just say "Invalid?"
post #4522 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth90 View Post
I just received my 3500STBII from Amazon. My unit doesn't have the channel 3/4 switch
Here is the info that is listed on the system screen:

SW: 20151022V5.0
HW: 78021237836650

My input is clear QAM cable. I don't need a cable box. The co-ax cable coming from the wall is connected directly to my TV

Is it the SW level that I need to do this? I've done a scan and I didn't get anything.
I have read thru most of this forum and didn't see my SW level mentionned anywhere. The same applies to the Iview site.

Any help would greatly br appreciated.
It's possible different firmware will help, but the only other version I can find compatible with your iView is http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...BII-1510-1.rar

I think you'll have to extract the file named usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin from the .rar to a FAT32-formatted USB drive with a utility like 7-Zip. Then you can try the firmware update process.

Generally iView orders multiple firmware versions that work slightly differently with cable. Even if this version works, it may find hundreds of channels with meaningless channel numbers. You'll have to go through them all, delete the unwatchable (encrypted) ones, figure out what channels the others actually are, and give them meaningful names.

If you want to switch back to the firmware that came with your box, use http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...BII-1510-2.rar and follow the same process.

Don't try any other firmware versions from iView's website; they will probably ruin your iView.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverchuck99 View Post
When you hover over the links for firmware download on the iview website, the URL of the download link appears in the browser.

I am a new user and am not allowed to post links yet, but if your enter the iview us website followed by

slash download slash firmware slash

you can see lots of files for all of the iview product downloads.

Of particular interest are these files:

usb_upgrade_all_flashQAM.bin
usb_upgrade_all_flashV6.bin
usb_upgrade_all_flashVR.bin

that have the same name format as the other 3500stb firmware versions but are undocumented by iview.

Is V6 an improvement on V3? What is VR or QAM?

Anyone willing to risk their 3500stbII with a flash of these hidden firmware versions?
I tried to get all the 3500 firmware sorted out here:

These are for (very old) 3500STB (not STBII) boxes:
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV6.bin (original remote - firmware calls itself V3 in the System / Information menu)
# usb_upgrade_all_flashVR.bin (new remote - firmware calls itself V6)

These are for old (7816 chip) 3500STBII boxes without a channel 3/4 switch:
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV9.bin (firmware calls itself V9, as advertised)
# usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin (firmware calls itself V13a)

These are for 3500STBII boxes with a channel 3/4 switch:
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV1.bin (dated May 22 2014)
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV2.bin (not on iView's Web server but dated Mar 5 2014 - somehow older than V1 )
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV2A.bin
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV3.bin
# 3500STBII_1309.rar (this is just a .rar file containing V1, so not sure why it exists separately)

These are for new (7802 chip) 3500STBII boxes without a channel 3/4 switch: (Oddly, all these call themselves V5.0; you have to distinguish them by their dates)
# 3500STBII-1510-1.rar (files in .rar are dated Oct 05 2015)
# 3500STBII-1510-2.rar (files in .rar are dated Oct 22 2015)
(Avoid the above two versions; they are quite buggy. The versions below are still somewhat buggy but much improved)
# 3500STBII-EPGFix_1511.rar (files in .rar are dated Aug 15 2016)
# 3500STBII_1604.zip (files in .zip are dated Sep 23 2016)

Not sure what these are for:
# usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin
# usb_upgrade_all_flashQAM.bin (firmware calls itself V7 so probably for one of the original boxes but the new remote)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.
post #4523 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi. Sorry, new here and not tech savvy.

I just got one of these boxes, (II version) to replace my old Zimwell that finally died after four years of almost constant use. So far I have been happy with this iView, but not the user manual. That is pretty basic, and a bit disappointing, but it was enough to get me to where I can use the unit. I've got it all up and running and sorted out most of the settings I should have, I think, (very old big analog tv). Have not been able to get closed caption to show on the screen yet even when I'm on PBS and know that they are closed captioned. Not sure what I'm not doing correctly there. I kind of need it...

But I was able to record a show I wanted to see onto a flash drive and it played back just fine. I will only do this occasionally, so I'm a happy old camper.

I was twiddling in the settings, and came across one for antenna power. What in the world is this? (It's currently set to "off".) I have a powered Terk antenna sitting in the other room, with cable draped into this one to the box, and it's working fine. I am in San Diego and am picking up some Los Angeles stations (Ion) now and then, and hoping to get the PBS station on 58 again - scan didn't pick it up, but it comes and goes on the best of weeks. I have no option to put an antenna outside (University housing) so it's sitting on my dresser in front of a picture window, facing basically just west of north. I get all the local channels just fine. Don't seem to get any radio stations, but perhaps we don't have digital radio here yet? Anyway, if the antenna power button can boost a weak signal, I'd be thrilled. But I'm afraid to turn it off because I don't want to send power back up the line to the Terk. So does anyone know what that setting actually does?

Thanks

Nan
post #4524 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannersone View Post
Hi. Sorry, new here and not tech savvy.

I just got one of these boxes, (II version) to replace my old Zimwell that finally died after four years of almost constant use. So far I have been happy with this iView, but not the user manual. That is pretty basic, and a bit disappointing, but it was enough to get me to where I can use the unit. I've got it all up and running and sorted out most of the settings I should have, I think, (very old big analog tv). Have not been able to get closed caption to show on the screen yet even when I'm on PBS and know that they are closed captioned. Not sure what I'm not doing correctly there. I kind of need it...

But I was able to record a show I wanted to see onto a flash drive and it played back just fine. I will only do this occasionally, so I'm a happy old camper.

I was twiddling in the settings, and came across one for antenna power. What in the world is this? (It's currently set to "off".) I have a powered Terk antenna sitting in the other room, with cable draped into this one to the box, and it's working fine. I am in San Diego and am picking up some Los Angeles stations (Ion) now and then, and hoping to get the PBS station on 58 again - scan didn't pick it up, but it comes and goes on the best of weeks. I have no option to put an antenna outside (University housing) so it's sitting on my dresser in front of a picture window, facing basically just west of north. I get all the local channels just fine. Don't seem to get any radio stations, but perhaps we don't have digital radio here yet? Anyway, if the antenna power button can boost a weak signal, I'd be thrilled. But I'm afraid to turn it off because I don't want to send power back up the line to the Terk. So does anyone know what that setting actually does?

Thanks

Nan
Sorry, I meant to say I'm afraid to turn it FROM off to "on"...
post #4525 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

The antenna "on" provides 5V power to an amplified antenna. If your antenna already is plugged in, it won't improve your reception. It just replaces the power supply so you have one less plug. If you want to use it, make sure it matches the power supply of the antenna. I had one that it worked with but a lot of antennas need higher voltage.
post #4526 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Don't try any other firmware versions from iView's website; they will probably ruin your iView.
I tried to get all the 3500 firmware sorted out here:

These are for (very old) 3500STB (not STBII) boxes:
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV6.bin (original remote)
# usb_upgrade_all_flashVR.bin (new remote)

These are for old (7816 chip) 3500STBII boxes without a channel 3/4 switch:
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV9.bin
# usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin

These are for 3500STBII boxes with a channel 3/4 switch:
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV1.bin
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV2A.bin
# usb_upgrade_all_flashV3.bin

These are for new (7802 chip) 3500STBII boxes without a channel 3/4 switch:
# 3500STBII-1510-1.rar (files in .rar are dated Oct 05 2015)
# 3500STBII-1510-2.rar (files in .rar are dated Oct 22 2015; this is probably V5.0)

Not sure what these are for:
# usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin
# usb_upgrade_all_flashQAM.bin[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two 3500STBII units. The unit WITH the 3/4 switch performs & records just fine, but the other unit 'without' the 3/4 switch' will not record properly.

For example, in the unit without the 3/4 switch, when you are in the EPG mode and select a program to record by pushing the OK button, the SCHEDULE screen opens without automatically inserting the program info. You can only schedule a program to record by manually entering the schedule info and even that does not always work. But, the other unit WITH the 3/4 switch works perfectly !

The manufacturer has not responded to my several emails, so I am writing you to find out what ideas you may have to make the box without the 3/4 switch record properly. Perhaps there is new firmware ? Or maybe the firmware from the box with the 3/4 switch can be loaded on the other unit ? I use an antenna, not cable, if that makes any difference. Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Here is the model info for the 2 boxes:

1.. iView 3500 STBI (with 3/4 switch & red led front display). Performs & records well.
Software Version: 2014 05 22 V1
Hardware Version ATSC 781 GXD 02 Z00
Serial #: 1505 - iView3500STBII - CJ 1243

2. IView 3500 STBII (NO 3/4 switch & green led front display. Does NOT record properly !!
Software Version: 2015 10 22 V5.0
Hardware Version: 7802 1237 836 650
Serial #: 1511 - 3500STBII - D2 3816
post #4527 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Nannersone, for the captions, did you go through the different caption settings in the menu? I no longer have an iview but I remember there were various streams to choose from. Maybe they are not on the first one.

However, if you are talking about during timeshift or recording playback, they will not show on the iview even though they are recorded. You have to watch them on your PC or another device to see the captions, except for live TV.
post #4528 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Nannersone, for the captions, did you go through the different caption settings in the menu? I no longer have an iview but I remember there were various streams to choose from. Maybe they are not on the first one.

However, if you are talking about during timeshift or recording playback, they will not show on the iview even though they are recorded. You have to watch them on your PC or another device to see the captions, except for live TV.

Hi, I tried all the settings CC1, CC2, etc.; changed the color, changed where it displays. Finally realized that the system default was to have them as transparent. When I changed that, I could see them. The font is very... 1970s odd... and the "large" isn't very large, but I've got it now, thanks!

Good to know if I record it on the flash drive I can bring it to the computer to watch (which is nice, as I have that in the bedroom) and it will have the CC.

Now if I only lived about 30 feet higher in the air, or 20 miles up the coast, to get those coveted LA stations!
post #4529 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
The antenna "on" provides 5V power to an amplified antenna. If your antenna already is plugged in, it won't improve your reception. It just replaces the power supply so you have one less plug. If you want to use it, make sure it matches the power supply of the antenna. I had one that it worked with but a lot of antennas need higher voltage.
Thank you.
post #4530 of 5075 Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannersone View Post

Good to know if I record it on the flash drive I can bring it to the computer to watch (which is nice, as I have that in the bedroom) and it will have the CC.

If your default video player on your computer doesn't show the captions, you can use VLC. I know that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page