iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #4591 of 5095 Old 03-05-2016, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Sorry to hear that. Have you had a chance to hook up your CM7778 preamp yet?
yeah it made it worst but I had it near tv now I have it near ant I wont know tonight if it helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 5095 Old 03-07-2016, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post
This is the absolute most annoying part of this box. I spent many hours deleting unwanted channels, re-naming the channels, and then re-organizing them so they matched the logical order of my other TV's that have tuners in them already. Not only does it eventually erase the new name you give a channel, but just today it re-organized them all into a big jumble. I spent probably 6 hours getting it altogether, now it's all mixed and jumbled again, and you don't know what channel is what anymore since it erased the custom names.

What a waste.
I totally agree. The firmware decision tree should never branch into a scan unless in setup. If the signal varies, distorts or disappears, the box should just sit there tuned to the station. kludged firmware raft with situational inconsideration. Fixable, but iview is too arrogant to invest any effort to make the product right. May be a hardware glitch that sucker punches the processor too. Insulting. New box with the 12 hour clock seems to be malfunctioning . . . Karma I hope
post #4593 of 5095 Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone heard of an estimated date for the release of new firmware for the iView 3500STBii ? V5.0 is not satisfactory !

post #4594 of 5095 Old 03-09-2016, 06:36 PM

thanks @JHBrandt - Sorry for the late reply. I ended up testing the iView-3500STBii (a bunch of them, actually) to no avail on my QAM256 only closed circuit signal, even with a couple tries at different firmware versions. Due to time constraints, I ended up swapping out to the Proscan PAT102. Similar price point, same form factor, worked perfectly, even when a stack of them are daisy-chained together with minimal signal loss. Thanks for your input!

Quote:
@j-vaughn;, I am not sure. My best guess is that it probably works all the way up to QAM256, because most folks who have tried it with cable have been able to find at least something, and I assume cable systems generally use the same type of modulation on all their channels, with QAM256 being quite common. But the only way to know for sure would be to buy one and try it.

That said, the iView has a pretty spotty reputation with cable. The problems don't seem to stem from the type of modulation as much as the firmware's inability to properly identify cable channels. It often misses channels that other clear-QAM tuners find without problems.

The exception is firmware version V1, which doesn't even try to map cable channels to their virtual channel numbers. It just shows the physical RF channels and subchannel IDs. It doesn't even skip encrypted channels (even though it won't play them, of course).

V1 firmware can be quite a mess for a typical cable user, but it might be just right for your situation.
post #4595 of 5095 Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Sorry to hear the 3500STBII didn't work for you. I have since learned that the newest iViews aren't compatible with the V1 firmware I recommended.

Do you have any 3500STBII's left? In particular, do you have one with the buggy V5.0 firmware?

BTW, the Proscan looks nearly identical to this: https://ematic.us/tv-accessories/at103b

iView and Mediasonic sell similar boxes: the iView 3200STB and the HomeWorX HW-180, respectively. Interestingly, all these boxes use identical remotes although the buttons are labeled differently, at least between the eMatic and the iView 3200STB, but the eMatic has a display (like the iView 3500STBII that didn't work for you), while ithe 3200STB and HW-180 do not. Do your Proscans have displays? The picture at Amazon shows one, but the Q/A says the newer Proscans no longer have displays.

There are also some internal hardware differences between some of these boxes. And the very first HW-180s Mediasonic sold had no record function, but the current ones and the other boxes I mentioned do. Does your Proscan record? Amazon didn't say.

Edit: Finally gave up waiting for 3500STBII prices to drop back down to reasonable levels today, and ordered a 3200STB for about $31. This is mostly for an experiment: Although the 3200STB firmware isn't as buggy as V5.0 for the 3500STBIIs, I want to see if the 3200STB will work with HW-150 V2.1 firmware, which is one of a very few firmware versions that fixes closed captions during playback, as well as the "midnight" bug (where it falsely reports a conflict if you try to schedule a recording that spans midnight). I'm thinking if the 3200STB will run it, a 3500STBII based on the 7802 chip will probably run it too - but I didn't want to spend nearly $50 for a box I might end up ruining. (Not super comfortable about risking $31 either but it sure beats risking $50.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-20-2016 at 05:25 PM.
post #4596 of 5095 Old 03-19-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my 3200STB yesterday. Before I perform my "experiment," I wanted to give it a reasonably thorough review. Overall, it's very similar to the 3500STBII. The main differences are:

1. It's a LOT smaller. I think it has a smaller footprint than an old DTVPal TR-40 converter box, which is the smallest digital tuner I'd seen before now.
  2. The remote control is different. It takes two AAA batteries, like the HomeWorX HW-150 remote. IMO it's not as good as the 3500STBII remote, but it's better than the HomeWorX remote. I don't like the layout of the digits:
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8
    9 0 - GoTo

Ugh. That will take some getting used to. Or better yet, replace it with a programmable or learning remote with a standard "touch-tone" button layout. Luckily, the rest of the remote is laid out fairly logically.
  3. No front-panel display, or power or channel buttons. The green-for-power-on/red-for-standby LED is still there though, along with the remote sensor.

BTW, I noticed that when the signal is weak, the green LED flickers; when the signal is undetectable, the LED goes dark too.
  4. The USB port was moved from the front panel to the right side. The USB port seems to be more "solid" and less susceptible to damage than the front-panel USB ports have turned out to be, so this is probably an improvement.
  5. The internal power supply has been replaced with a wall-wart, which plugs into the left side, so I guess you just unplug the power instead of using the power switch that was removed. Sorry, I got the iView confused with the HW-150. The latter has a "hard" power switch on its front panel that physically disconnects the power. The iView 3500 has a "soft" power switch that just switches to/from standby; same as the button on the remote. There's no way to disconnect power from the 3500 except to unplug it. The 3200 is the same, except you can now unplug it at the box itself instead of having to trace the cord back to the outlet.

Despite losing the power switch, I like this change. No more worries about overtaxing the power supply; the wall-wart is a 5-volt, 2-amp supply, which should be enough for both the box and a USB-powered HDD. And if you do manage to burn it out somehow, you can just replace it without replacing the whole box.

BTW, external 5-volt power means you could rig this to run from battery power! I did this with a DTVPal converter box (not the DVR), which also used a 5-volt supply, so I know it's possible.
  6. No component video outputs. However, it does still have everything else: composite video, L/R analog audio, coaxial digital audio, and HDMI.
  7. It has a channel 3/4 switch for the RF output. It doesn't seem to have a meaningful RF pass-through or loop-through function; although some RF does "leak" through when the unit is in standby, the output is much weaker than the input.
  8. Unlike what's been reported for some similar boxes, it does play recordings made on my HomeWorX HW-150. Edit: However, my HW-150 is a rare 7802-based box; I haven't had a chance to try a recording from a 7816-based box yet.
  9. Closed captions during playback WORK!! This may be due to it being a 7802-based box.

The system information screen reads:
Model: iVIEW-3200STB
SW Version: 2015 11 04 V5.0
HW Version: 7802 1237 836650

(I added a few spaces for clarity.) Notice the software version is very similar to the current iView 3500STBIIs, which are 2015 10 22 V5.0. Same version number, except the 3200STB is a couple of weeks later. Interestingly, the 3200STB firmware I downloaded from iView's web site seems to be an older version, dated 2015 06 21.

This firmware has the same annoying bug as the 3500STBII V5.0 firmware: if you press OK to schedule a recording from the EPG, it does the same thing as pressing Info: it just brings up the Schedule list. You then have to press 1 and enter the start and end times yourself. Other firmware versions go to that screen automatically and fill in the date, start and end time from the program you selected, so unless you want to change something, all you have to do is press OK again. And since you can't see those times once the Schedule list pops up, you have to write them down before you press OK to bring it up.

Edit: As posted below, HW-150 firmware V2.1 works, and it fixes the above bug! You do have to use a HomeWorX remote, though.

Overall impression: If you don't need component video, and can tolerate the funky remote, this is a much better deal than the 3500STBII. Better power supply, and who uses that LED display or those front-panel buttons anyway?

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-18-2016 at 07:30 PM.
post #4597 of 5095 Old 03-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Got my 3200STB yesterday. Before I perform my "experiment," I wanted to give it a reasonably thorough review. Overall, it's very similar to the 3500STBII. The main differences are:

[LIST=1][*]It's a LOT smaller. I think it has a smaller footprint than an old DTVPal TR-40 converter box, which is the smallest digital tuner I'd seen before now.[*]The remote control is different. It takes two AAA batteries, like the HomeWorX HW-150 remote. IMO it's not as good as the 3500STBII remote, but it's better than the HomeWorX remote. I don't like the layout of the digits:
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 0 - GoTo

The number layout made me laugh. It's like they pay someone to come up with ways to break something that has always worked. I always feel like they're playing a joke on us.
post #4598 of 5095 Old 03-19-2016, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Maybe I just got a bad unit, but I just discovered the HDMI port on my 3200STB doesn't work! (Well, it does show the iView logo when you first turn it on, but then it goes out.) I tried every one of the five resolutions. Also tried all possible digital audio settings.

I hope I just got a bad one. Otherwise this isn't going to be a very useful box.
Have you tried a factory reset in case is a software glitch? Does your menu have a modulation setting? Try cycling through those as well just in case it may trigger something if it's a SW glitch.

I'd also try another cable in case it is being finicky.
post #4599 of 5095 Old 03-19-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, some good news: HW-150 firmware V2.1 works, and it fixes the annoying bug when scheduling recordings from the EPG! (You do have to use a HomeWorX remote.)

The only anomaly I saw was that the front-panel LED went dark when the box booted up. It was still red in standby, and turned green when I turned it on; it just went dark when the TV show came on. Other than that everything seemed OK.

If anyone wants to try it with one of the newer 3500STBIIs (with V5.0 firmware), PM me and I'll email you a copy. (Remember you'll need a HomeWorX remote.) No guarantees, and it'll probably disable your 3500's front panel (HW-150s seem to have their front panels wired a bit differently), but as long as you have one of the new 7802 boxes with V5.0, I doubt it'll brick your box.

I did go ahead and flash it back to 3200STB firmware, in case I decide to return it. This restored the LED's original operation (and the scheduling bug, unfortunately) but still didn't fix the HDMI port!

Edit: As posted below, the HDMI port somewhat mysteriously started working later.

The only difference I can see from how it was shipped is that the SW Version is now 2015 06 18 V5.0. How many different V5.0 firmware versions does iView have anyway? Edit: At least five six: two three for the 3200STB (the 2015 06 18 version on their website, the 2015 10 23 version found on the 3200STB-A, and the 2015 11 04 version that was installed on my 3200STB when I got it), and three for the 3500STBII (the 2015 10 06 and 2015 10 22 versions on their website, and the version installed on the boxes). We know the installed version is different because flashing a 3500STBII with either version from the website disables the front-panel LEDs.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-18-2016 at 07:36 PM.
post #4600 of 5095 Old 03-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Please help with Houston Phonoscope

Thank you for being such a great source for information on this product.

I purchased the iView 3500STBII (with the 3/4 switch on the back) to use as a tuner for my XboxOne. The reason I did this is because I wanted to get the channels that I get through my basic cable (literally no box is required, I just plug the cable from my wall to the tv and I get the basic cable channels). Upon automatically searching I of course got a BUNCH of channels, but mostly scrambled (which was expected). Sadly, after deleting all the unnecessary channels, it did not show any of the channels from basic cable as found. I made sure to check the menu settings to search under Cable and Antenna Off and in the USA. Still, no luck. I then updated the firmware to V3 from the website (making sure I selected the one that says 3/4 switch) and still nothing better found. Is there any special trick to making it work? I read on Amazon that someone updated to V6, but I dont see a V6 firmware on their site. I'm trying to get this to work for Phonoscope cable in Houston.
post #4601 of 5095 Old 03-20-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're having a common problem. The iView and similar boxes have a 400-channel limit, but most cable systems have more than 400 channels (most of which are scrambled). Unfortunately, once it hits the limit, you can't add any more channels even if you delete all the scrambled ones, and it seems like most cable systems put most of their unscrambled channels at the highest frequencies, so the iView hits 400 channels before it finds them. Here's how to get around that:

1. You'll probably need to go back to V1 firmware. V3 won't find channels that don't have PSIP data. It's a good firmware version for FiOS but not for most cable systems.
  2. Write down all the unencrypted channel numbers you found that you want to keep.
  3. Write down the highest channel number it found (encrypted or not), except channels 95-99.
  4. Clear your iView's channel memory by disconnecting the cable and running another full scan.
  5. Reconnect the cable and manually scan the RF channel numbers (number before the dash) of the channels you wrote down in step 2, to get back the unencrypted channels you want.
  6. Manually scan the RF channel number (number before the dash) of the highest channel that was scanned in step 3.
  7. Manually scan every RF channel number from that number up to your cable system's top RF channel (probably 125). Omit channels 95-99 though.

With luck, you'll find your local stations hiding somewhere among those high RF channel numbers. Once you find all the channels you want, you can go back and delete the encrypted ones and any others you don't want. And you'll probably want to rename your channels to remind you what they "really" are.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-20-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #4602 of 5095 Old 03-20-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
More good news: I tried a third display and HDMI cable, and this time the 3200STB's HDMI port worked!
OK, this just keeps getting weirder. I just tried the 3200STB on my original display again, and this time the HDMI port worked on it too!

What's especially weird is that the 3200STB says it's in 1080P resolution, but I didn't think this old TV supported 1080P. When I hook up my DVR+, 1080P is grayed out

Courting disaster, I went through all five resolutions again, and they all worked, including 1080P when I got back around to it.

Further courting disaster, I flashed it with HW-150 V2.1 firmware again to fix the scheduling bug. Still works.

It does seem to take a long time for the picture to come on in 1080P mode. Maybe it has to "beg" my TV to switch to that mode.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-21-2016 at 06:32 PM.
post #4603 of 5095 Old 03-20-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

While experimenting with my 3200STB I found a simpler workaround for the "midnight" bug, where it won't let you schedule a "weekly" event that starts before and ends after midnight, if there's another event scheduled for the same day of the week. The workaround is:

1. Schedule the midnight-crossing event as a "once" event first. It won't report a conflict and will let you schedule it.
  2. Edit the other events for the same day to also be "once"
  3. Edit the midnight-crossing event to be "weekly" again
  4. Edit the other events to be "weekly" again

This avoids having to delete all the other events, reschedule the midnight-crossing event, and reschedule all the events you deleted.
post #4604 of 5095 Old 03-20-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
You're having a common problem. The iView and similar boxes have a 400-channel limit, but most cable systems have more than 400 channels (most of which are scrambled). Unfortunately, once it hits the limit, you can't add any more channels even if you delete all the scrambled ones, and it seems like most cable systems put most of their unscrambled channels at the highest frequencies, so the iView hits 400 channels before it finds them. Here's how to get around that:

1. You'll probably need to go back to V1 firmware. V3 won't find channels that don't have PSIP data. It's a good firmware version for FiOS but not for most cable systems.
  2. Write down all the unencrypted channel numbers you found that you want to keep.
  3. Write down the highest channel number it found (encrypted or not), except channels 95-99.
  4. Clear your iView's channel memory by disconnecting the cable and running another full scan.
  5. Reconnect the cable and manually scan the RF channel numbers (number before the dash) of the channels you wrote down in step 2, to get back the unencrypted channels you want.
  6. Manually scan the RF channel number (number before the dash) of the highest channel that was scanned in step 3.
  7. Manually scan every RF channel number from that number up to your cable system's top RF channel (probably 125). Omit channels 95-99 though.

With luck, you'll find your local stations hiding somewhere among those high RF channel numbers. Once you find all the channels you want, you can go back and delete the encrypted ones and any others you don't want. And you'll probably want to rename your channels to remind you what they "really" are.
Thank you so much for your reply! I think I found out that maybe the signal being transmitted is NTSC. Since almost no converter boxes support this, then I guess Im SOL. Still, thank you again for your help because this was driving me crazy.
post #4605 of 5095 Old 03-20-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oops - I forgot that a lot of smaller cable systems still use analog

I think there are a few video recorders that will digitize an analog signal so it can be recorded. I think the Magnavox & Philips brands can do this, but @wajo knows more about them than I do.
post #4606 of 5095 Old 03-21-2016, 05:01 AM
?? ?? ?? ??

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Oops - I forgot that a lot of smaller cable systems still use analog

I think there are a few video recorders that will digitize an analog signal so it can be recorded. I think the Magnavox & Philips brands can do this, but @wajo knows more about them than I do.
Yes, all 9 generations of Philips/Magnavox HDD DVD recorders can tune analog cable.
post #4607 of 5095 Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
If you're still getting NTSC cable channels, just use a VCR to record them if you want a simple solution.
post #4608 of 5095 Old 03-21-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just sent iView a message, asking them if they had a fix for both the HDMI issue and the scheduling bug. We'll see if they bother responding.
iView just emailed me another firmware version to try. I can tell it's different from the 2015-06-18 firmware because the file is a few kB smaller.

Since the HDMI issue seems to have fixed itself, only the scheduling bug remains. Of course the HW firmware fixed that, but it'd be better to have iView firmware, all else being equal. That way we wouldn't have to use a HW-150 remote.

Hopefully this will fix the scheduling bug without breaking anything else. I'll try it tonight and post back.

Edit: No joy. The firmware they sent me is identical to the firmware posted on their website for the 3500STBII. (I compared the files on my PC; they are identical.) Surprisingly it works on the 3200STB, but the system info screen reads 3500STBII, and of course it still has the scheduling bug. So I went back to the HW-150 firmware and remote.

That may explain why those versions disable the 3500STBII's front-panel LEDs. I have a sneaking suspicion they just took 3200STB software and changed the model number on the system info screen to read 3500STBII instead.

But interestingly, that does imply the remotes for the 3200STB and 3500STBII send the same codes - which also implies you could use the nicer 3500 remote with the 3200 (although not if you flash it with HW-150 firmware as I did). I did not expect that!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-21-2016 at 06:08 PM.
post #4609 of 5095 Old 03-22-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wifi drive as DVR?

This may me discussed elsewhere in the 150+ page thread, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Does anyone know if the power is cut to the usb port when the iView is turned off?
I am hoping to hook up a network-enabled drive, but as many of you already know, most (if not all) standalone wifi drives disable network access when they detect an active usb connection (to maintain data integrity).
Has anyone tried recording via iView to a network drive, and then shutting the iView off & checking if network access was possible? Also, does anyone know if any wifi drives automatically re-engage the network connection after a usb disconnect, or if they have to be manually switched back on?

Would be nice to be able to stream recordings over the network, and not have to futz with cables & buttons.
post #4610 of 5095 Old 03-22-2016, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Does anyone know if the power is cut to the usb port when the iView is turned off?
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is, some of the early 3500STBIIs didn't, but that was soon corrected. Also, I haven't tried the current "generation" of 3500STBIIs, so I can't be certain that they do. But almost all boxes of this type do cut power to the USB when in standby, so I'd be surprised if the new ones didn't.
thebard likes this.
post #4611 of 5095 Old 03-22-2016, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a fairly original 3500STBII (without the '3/4' switch), and checked mine, the power stays ON.

Easy test, I happen to have a USB desk light, plug it in and try.

Could you use a powered USB hub to keep the lights on, so to speak? Do powered hubs keep the power on all the time or do they trigger off the input voltage? Don't have one so can't try. Or, you could hack into a USB cable, cut the power line and feed it with a 5V adapter. I actually did that for a device that apparently drew a bit too much power from my laptop USB port to work reliably.
thebard likes this.
post #4612 of 5095 Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfQuill View Post
I have a fairly original 3500STBII (without the '3/4' switch), and checked mine, the power stays ON.

Easy test, I happen to have a USB desk light, plug it in and try.

Could you use a powered USB hub to keep the lights on, so to speak? Do powered hubs keep the power on all the time or do they trigger off the input voltage? Don't have one so can't try. Or, you could hack into a USB cable, cut the power line and feed it with a 5V adapter. I actually did that for a device that apparently drew a bit too much power from my laptop USB port to work reliably.
I'm actually hoping the usb on mine *doesn't* stay on when powered down, because I want the iView to release to drive so that it can be accessed on the network.

I'll see if I have something I can test with.

If successful, the next step would be to find a wifi drive that automatically connects to the network when disconnected from usb. I know, for example, the WD drives require you to hit a button to enable network mode each time.
post #4613 of 5095 Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Time zone and DTS changes when turned off and back on

I have a 3500SBII with the 3/4 switch. The time zone is set to PST and DST is set to ON.

When turning it off then back on (with remote or power button) time zone changes to Central Time and DST is OFF. This is an intermitten problem but happens more so than not. If I leave it on 24/7 then no problem

Any suggestions?

Model: IVIEW-3500STBI
SW Version: 20140522 V1
HW Version: ATSC7816XD-02-Z00
post #4614 of 5095 Old 03-31-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1907 View Post
I just bought a new Iview from amazon last week green display sw 2015 1022V5.0
along with the mentioned problems with booking a recording. I have found files recorded on the new unit will not not play on my other boxes red display no 3/4 sw or red display with 3/4 switch. looking at the new files there is a new file labeled meta also dates are wack.

Code:
  WXIX-DT-03012016-0951.mts                      65,534 KB       1/1/1980 12:02 AM
  WXIX-DT-03012016-0951.mts.meta                      6 KB       1/1/1980 12:02 AM
I just discovered my HomeWorX HW-150 with V2.1 firmware creates the same strange ".meta" file.

The thing these boxes have in common is that they're both based on the 7802 chip. Other HomeWorXes and iViews are based on the 7816 chip. Apparently the 7802 firmware writes the .mts file in a different format that's incompatible with the format used by 7816 firmware.

Not sure what's in the ".meta" file; perhaps closed captions? The 7802 boxes seem to be the only ones that can display closed captions when playing back a recording.

I need to look at this more closely.
post #4615 of 5095 Old 03-31-2016, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Hart View Post
I have a 3500SBII with the 3/4 switch. The time zone is set to PST and DST is set to ON.

When turning it off then back on (with remote or power button) time zone changes to Central Time and DST is OFF. This is an intermitten problem but happens more so than not. If I leave it on 24/7 then no problem

Any suggestions?

Model: IVIEW-3500STBI
SW Version: 20140522 V1
HW Version: ATSC7816XD-02-Z00
I have the same model currently and haven't encountered this. When you say off, do you mean on standby?
When this happens have you checked the country setting? As I recall, my box came delivered with a default of Mexico and it corresponds to Central. So it sounds like you might be losing the country setting.
post #4616 of 5095 Old 03-31-2016, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
I have the same model currently and haven't encountered this. When you say off, do you mean on standby?
When this happens have you checked the country setting? As I recall, my box came delivered with a default of Mexico and it corresponds to Central. So it sounds like you might be losing the country setting.
The country was set to Mexico. I've had this box for 6 months and don't remember changing the country to USA.

It's working fine now. Thank you dleedlee.
post #4617 of 5095 Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
There is a box from a company called Boostwaves selling on Amazon. Webpage says there is a 7-day guide. I never owned any of these, but I thought all these similar boxes had 1-day guides. Am I mistaken in that all these Iview, Homeworx, etc.. units actually all have a 7-day guide?
post #4618 of 5095 Old 04-02-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guide length probably depends on firmware and available RAM, so it's possible the Boost Waves clone has more RAM to allow for up to seven days of guide. Unfortunately, it's also possible the Amazon listing is just wrong, as is the listing claiming the HW-180 has component video outputs.

Even if the Boost Waves does have a longer guide, it may not matter much in practice. You'd need stations to broadcast that much, and very few do so.
post #4619 of 5095 Old 04-03-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A seller on ebay whose handle is the company name has a listing for the box. That page says 7-day as well. They should correct it if it is wrong.

I tried looking for a manual at the company's website, but the whole site is basically empty. Model number of the unit is BW1658.
post #4620 of 5095 Old 04-03-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Out of curiosity, I just checked KERA. On a DTVPal (which really does go out seven days) I could see three days of data, so I presume that's what KERA broadcasts. On an HW-150 (an iView clone) I could only see one day of EPG for KERA.

The original iView had 64MB RAM, which sounds like plenty to me, so the max. guide length is probably set by the firmware. So it's possible that the 7-day claim could be correct, but I'd need to see a screen shot from an owner to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page