iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4681 of 5055 Old 05-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Have you tried the 3200? It's very tiny also. The firmware's buggy but you can cross-flash it with HW-150 V2.1
Well for now will stick with my 150 with v11 as while its a larger unit it has more firmware options and just seems like the most stable of all the units out there, though certainly not bug free.
Skitz1967 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4682 of 5055 Old 05-18-2016, 06:54 AM
QAM
Member
 
QAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wow, thanks for the quick 3100 review. Looks like the lack of a "weekly" programming option is a real deal killer, (hopefully they will correct this in a future firmware update).

So has the "internal" power supply been confirmed?

Glad they included a "skip" function (30 sec, 1 min. etc). Really miss this feature from the 3500/3200 as it comes in handy to skip over commercials. Hope the 3500/3200 adds this to a future update. (BTW, the way I have seen "skip" implemented in other electronics is to "skip" 30 sec. every time the button is pressed, adding up to 6x total).
QAM is offline  
post #4683 of 5055 Old 05-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick 3100 review. Looks like the lack of a "weekly" programming option is a real deal killer, (hopefully they will correct this in a future firmware update).

So has the "internal" power supply been confirmed?

Glad they included a "skip" function (30 sec, 1 min. etc). Really miss this feature from the 3500/3200 as it comes in handy to skip over commercials. Hope the 3500/3200 adds this to a future update. (BTW, the way I have seen "skip" implemented in other electronics is to "skip" 30 sec. every time the button is pressed, adding up to 6x total).
Yes the PS is internal aka hardwired in. Also forgot ot mention in my quick review there is no 32x fast forward. It has 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x and 24x.

The new homeworx hw130 has a removable power supply aka external power wort but also couldn't recommend that one either based on chats with tech support. Its pretty much a 180 but smaller and with all new firmware that has the old cc bugs added back in.
Skitz1967 is offline  
 
post #4684 of 5055 Old 05-18-2016, 04:12 PM
QAM
Member
 
QAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just one more question about the 3100 remote control....

Noticed in the posted picture that the 3100 remote is identical to the 3200 remote EXCEPT for the "swap" key which is labeled "goto" on the 3200.

So what key is used for the "skip" function? You mentioned it is programmable via the menu, but how do you actually skip 30 sec. or 1 min. or whatever?
QAM is offline  
post #4685 of 5055 Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
Just one more question about the 3100 remote control....

Noticed in the posted picture that the 3100 remote is identical to the 3200 remote EXCEPT for the "swap" key which is labeled "goto" on the 3200.

So what key is used for the "skip" function? You mentioned it is programmable via the menu, but how do you actually skip 30 sec. or 1 min. or whatever?
Couldn't tell you there was no documentation which is no surprise.... I have already returned the device I still feel dirty but there are a set of forward and back buttons at the top and another set near the bottom. I am guessing one set does the fast forward and the other set does the skip.

I know this is the iview thread but having tested the rca, ematic, iview and homeworx I really have to say the only box I kept out of all of them was the homeworx 150. Now since this is the iview thread i should mention that another user has flashed his iview 3200 to homeworx 150 firmware successfully and he says it has resolved most if not all of the buggy firmware issues that came on the 3200. Just my 2 cents.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4686 of 5055 Old 05-18-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Well, some good news: HW-150 firmware V2.1 works, and it fixes the annoying bug when scheduling recordings from the EPG! (You do have to use a HomeWorX remote.)

The only anomaly I saw was that the front-panel LED went dark when the box booted up. It was still red in standby, and turned green when I turned it on; it just went dark when the TV show came on. Other than that everything seemed OK.
Continuing to experiment with cross-flashing 7802 firmware, I am now trying HW-150 firmware V5.0. So far, almost everything works, with one big exception I'll discuss in a minute.

Closed captions work during playback with both V2.1 and V5.0 of the HW-150 firmware. This surprised me because that function was reported not to work on an actual HW-150. The only difference is, V2.1 pops up a little "CC*ON" or "CC*OFF" box when you press CC during playback; V5.0 doesn't. It just starts showing closed captions.

V2.1 seemed to have some delay in the closed captions; V5.0 seems to have them in sync with the actual audio.

Neither HW-150 version has the bugs found with iView V5.0 firmware (scheduling recordings from the EPG, or daily timers acting like weekly ones).

The 3200's LED acts differently with V5.0. When on, the green LED is on; when off, both the red and green LED come on, the combo looking rather orange to me.

Now for the bad news: to test the daily timer bug, I set up a daily timer to check that the date would advance by one day, not seven. (It correctly advanced by one day.) But there was a problem: when the timer fired, the box booted up and tuned to the correct channel, but it did not start recording! The HDD was accessible, so I can't figure out why the recording didn't start. I'll keep experimenting but unless this was just a fluke, it would mean you'd have to leave the 3200 turned on all the time for scheduled recordings to work.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4687 of 5055 Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Continuing to experiment with cross-flashing 7802 firmware, I am now trying HW-150 firmware V5.0. So far, almost everything works, with one big exception I'll discuss in a minute.

Closed captions work during playback with both V2.1 and V5.0 of the HW-150 firmware. This surprised me because that function was reported not to work on an actual HW-150. The only difference is, V2.1 pops up a little "CC*ON" or "CC*OFF" box when you press CC during playback; V5.0 doesn't. It just starts showing closed captions.

V2.1 seemed to have some delay in the closed captions; V5.0 seems to have them in sync with the actual audio.

Neither HW-150 version has the bugs found with iView V5.0 firmware (scheduling recordings from the EPG, or daily timers acting like weekly ones).

The 3200's LED acts differently with V5.0. When on, the green LED is on; when off, both the red and green LED come on, the combo looking rather orange to me.

Now for the bad news: to test the daily timer bug, I set up a daily timer to check that the date would advance by one day, not seven. (It correctly advanced by one day.) But there was a problem: when the timer fired, the box booted up and tuned to the correct channel, but it did not start recording! The HDD was accessible, so I can't figure out why the recording didn't start. I'll keep experimenting but unless this was just a fluke, it would mean you'd have to leave the 3200 turned on all the time for scheduled recordings to work.
You really need to try v11 its the v5 equivalent for the 180. Would be curious to see if you have the same issues with it.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4688 of 5055 Old 05-19-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Just ordered a remote to test the HW-180 firmware. Will be in touch soon.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4689 of 5055 Old 05-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Just ordered a remote to test the HW-180 firmware. Will be in touch soon.
Am still rocking v11 and no issues. Wanna give me all your tests and I will see what results I get, as while i still have remote conflicts i am learning to deal with them and everything else I have done so far seems to work as expected. Though I do admit I never turn off the box, got in that habit when on cable tv as if you turned off that dvr it wasn't smart enough to turn back on.

But would be more then willing to help you test a little just list out exact scenerios to test and I will see what I can do.

What remote did you end up getting? Universal I hope they are awesome.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4690 of 5055 Old 05-19-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Continuing to experiment with cross-flashing 7802 firmware, I am now trying HW-150 firmware V5.0. So far, almost everything works, with one big exception....

Now for the bad news: to test the daily timer bug, I set up a daily timer to check that the date would advance by one day, not seven. (It correctly advanced by one day.) But there was a problem: when the timer fired, the box booted up and tuned to the correct channel, but it did not start recording! The HDD was accessible, so I can't figure out why the recording didn't start. I'll keep experimenting but unless this was just a fluke, it would mean you'd have to leave the 3200 turned on all the time for scheduled recordings to work.
I just re-tested recording from standby on a different channel. This time, it worked. (Whew!) I'll retest the original channel again later, to see if the problem is specific to certain channels.

Also, I noticed V5.0 seemed to take a long time to boot, so I timed it today: 21 seconds. Not bad but it seems a lot longer than I'm used to, so I'll time the boot-ups of other versions and see if there's a real difference.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4691 of 5055 Old 05-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I just re-tested recording from standby on a different channel. This time, it worked. (Whew!) I'll retest the original channel again later, to see if the problem is specific to certain channels.

Also, I noticed V5.0 seemed to take a long time to boot, so I timed it today: 21 seconds. Not bad but it seems a lot longer than I'm used to, so I'll time the boot-ups of other versions and see if there's a real difference.
Did you notice a difference in the remotes responsiveness/sluggishness between v5 and v2.1?

Also guessing what you may find is the standby/wakeup might be flaky aka sometimes it works and sometimes not. I seem to remember reading it is present in all versions. Again would be interested to see when you try v11. I will try and do a little testing myself.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4692 of 5055 Old 05-19-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
To me, the remote seemed equally responsive with V2.1 and V5.0.

I've retried recording from standby several times today and it has worked every time. The only thing I can think of is that the time yesterday when it failed, the tuner did that "triple clutch" thing where it tunes in the channel, then the screen goes blank a couple of times before it finally tunes in "for good." It's possible that process didn't finish in time for the recording to start.

The "triple clutch" is a longstanding bug that only seems to happen on certain channels, usually less than once a day. Ion (the station I tested with) is one of those stations. Today the "triple clutch" never happened on Ion or the other station I tried (Fox), so that may be why it worked today.

I'll continue to experiment. If it is the "triple clutch" that causes a timed recording to fail, a workaround might be to schedule a 1-minute recording on the same channel right before the actual show. That would make the box come on and either record one unwanted minute or fail, after which the desired recording would still start.

Edit: Today I confirmed that V5.0 still has another bug: the "triple clutch" rescanned Ion, removing all the "skipped channel" flags from its scrambled Airbox channels. This is a longstanding bug I call the "channel rescan bug" that affects all known iView and HomeWorX firmware versions. It also strengthens my suspicion that the "triple clutch" caused the recording failure.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-20-2016 at 05:50 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4693 of 5055 Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
To me, the remote seemed equally responsive with V2.1 and V5.0.

I've retried recording from standby several times today and it has worked every time. The only thing I can think of is that the time yesterday when it failed, the tuner did that "triple clutch" thing where it tunes in the channel, then the screen goes blank a couple of times before it finally tunes in "for good." It's possible that process didn't finish in time for the recording to start.

The "triple clutch" is a longstanding bug that only seems to happen on certain channels, usually less than once a day. Ion (the station I tested with) is one of those stations. Today the "triple clutch" never happened on Ion or the other station I tried (Fox), so that may be why it worked today.

I'll continue to experiment. If it is the "triple clutch" that causes a timed recording to fail, a workaround might be to schedule a 1-minute recording on the same channel right before the actual show. That would make the box come on and either record one unwanted minute or fail, after which the desired recording would still start.
I did a quick test for you with v11... took right about 15 seconds to boot up.. it did turn on and off properly all by itself. It has recorded daily and weeklies properly and I even tested crossing the midnight barrier for recording and that also seemed to work.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4694 of 5055 Old 05-20-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Both V2.1 and V5.0 have a bug when trying to schedule a recording that spans midnight. You may want to check V11 for this:

If you have a weekly recording scheduled, and try to add a new one-time or weekly recording starting on the same day, but ending on or after midnight, it will falsely report a schedule conflict and won't let you do it. Oddly, though, if you change the midnight-crossing recording to "daily," it will let you add it.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4695 of 5055 Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Both V2.1 and V5.0 have a bug when trying to schedule a recording that spans midnight. You may want to check V11 for this:

If you have a weekly recording scheduled, and try to add a new one-time or weekly recording starting on the same day, but ending on or after midnight, it will falsely report a schedule conflict and won't let you do it. Oddly, though, if you change the midnight-crossing recording to "daily," it will let you add it.
can you give me a specific example with times and all so i can try and duplicate it
aka something like
recording 1 daily 2300 - 0000
recording 2 weekly whatever
as daily is for every day (7 days a week) if a daily crosses midnight you would not be able to do another weekly or daily crossing midnight or you would have a legit conflict. Seems the only legit way to have 2 things crossing midnight would be 2 weeklies on separate days.

What am i missing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160520_222114.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1450690  

Last edited by Skitz1967; 05-20-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4696 of 5055 Old 05-20-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
can you give me a specific example with times and all so i can try and duplicate it
aka something like
recording 1 daily 2300 - 0000
recording 2 weekly whatever

What am i missing
Yes, that would probably be less confusing. Try this:
Recording 1 weekly, today from 2230-2300
Recording 2 weekly, today from 2330-0000

Schedule recording 1 first. V2.1 and V5.0 will tell you there's a conflict when you try to schedule recording 2. This is the bug.

Now change recording 2 to daily and try again. This time it will work. Or, if you delete the timers and schedule recording 2 first, it will let you schedule recording 1. (IOW, it works correctly in these cases.)

This bug has existed ever since the iView and HomeWorX first came out. I've never seen firmware that handles it correctly, but I still hold out hope for V11
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4697 of 5055 Old 05-21-2016, 07:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yes, that would probably be less confusing. Try this:
Recording 1 weekly, today from 2230-2300
Recording 2 weekly, today from 2330-0000

Schedule recording 1 first. V2.1 and V5.0 will tell you there's a conflict when you try to schedule recording 2. This is the bug.

Now change recording 2 to daily and try again. This time it will work. Or, if you delete the timers and schedule recording 2 first, it will let you schedule recording 1. (IOW, it works correctly in these cases.)

This bug has existed ever since the iView and HomeWorX first came out. I've never seen firmware that handles it correctly, but I still hold out hope for V11
Well was likely just to late at night but got all confused even with your examples as didn't want to remove my current schedules. Sometimes I would get invalid program error. Apparently the way I want/need to schedule all my programs works ok just not sure they fit the pattern ur wanting me to test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160521_100719.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1451402  
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4698 of 5055 Old 05-21-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
In that case don't worry about it. My HW-180 remote should arrive soon. Once it does, I'll test 8.1 and 11 for this bug when scheduling across midnight and report back.

Edit: Mediasonic has updated firmware version 5.0 to 5.3, so I'm updating this comparison to reflect 5.3 instead of 5.0.
I did notice another - I guess I'd call it a "quirk," not necessarily a bug. If you're playing a recording, turn on closed captions, then press "stop," it stops playing the closed captions, but not the recording! Pressing "stop" a second time stops playing the recording. This is in both V2.1 and V5.3. Odd.

So far the differences I've found between 2.1 and 5.3 are all fairly minor:

  1. On the iView 3200, V5.0 turns the green LED on constantly, even when the box is in standby, producing a red+green=orange-looking LED when off. V2.1 turns it on during boot-up only. V5.3 turns it on only briefly when you first press power, then turns back off almost immediately.
  2. On the menus and dialogs, the button labels (that tell you what buttons to press on your remote to perform various functions) are slightly different. For example, V2.1 shows "1," "2," etc., while V5.3 shows "01, "02," etc.

    The V2.1 button labels make more sense to be. There is no "01" button, nor do you have to press "0" before pressing "1" in V5.0
  3. When you press the USB button, a different choice is selected on the USB menu. 2.1 defaults to Music while 5.3 defaults to PVR, which makes more sense to me; that's why you bought the thing, right?
  4. During playback, the remote seems a bit more responsive with V5.3. It's not easy to be sure though; more of a feeling than a measurement.

Everything else I've tried has looked and acted the same with both versions.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-04-2016 at 01:47 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4699 of 5055 Old 05-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
In that case don't worry about it. My HW-180 remote should arrive soon. Once it does, I'll test 8.1 and 11 for this bug when scheduling across midnight and report back.

I did notice another - I guess I'd call it a "quirk," not necessarily a bug. If you're playing a recording, turn on closed captions, then press "stop," it stops playing the closed captions, but not the recording! Pressing "stop" a second time stops playing the recording. This is in both V2.1 and V5.0. Odd.

So far the differences I've found between 2.1 and 5.0 are all fairly minor:

  1. V2.1 boots a bit faster (15s vs 21s)
  2. V2.1 shows "CC*ON" and "CC*OFF" briefly when toggling closed captions during playback
  3. On the iView 3200, V5.0 turns the green LED on constantly, while V2.1 turns it on during boot-up only.

    on my 150 v11 boots up in about 15 seconds, does NOT show ccn or ccff on playback but subtitles DO work, Green led stays solid as long as unit is on. Its red when unit is off
  4. Edit 1: On the menus and dialogs, the button labels (that tell you what buttons to press on your remote to perform various functions) are slightly different. For example, V2.1 shows "1," "2," etc., while V5.0 shows "01, "02," etc.
    The V2.1 button labels make more sense to be. There is no "01" button, nor do you have to press "0" before pressing "1" in V5.0

  5. Edit 2: When you press the USB button, a different choice is selected on the USB menu. 2.1 defaults to Music while 5.0 defaults to PVR. PVR makes more sense to me; that's why you bought the thing, right?


Everything else I've tried has looked and acted the same with both versions.
Above mentioned quirk also happens on v11 on my 150
#1,#2,#3 my 150 v11 boots up in about 15 seconds, does NOT show cc-on or cc-off on playback but subtitles DO work, Green led stays solid as long as unit is on. Its red when unit is off
#4 on my 150 v11 they use 01, 02
#5 on my 150 v11 default choice is pvr
Thats it so far still rockin and liking v11


EDIT1: Just for grinz I loaded back up v5 and v2.1 and honestly coudnt tell the difference between any versions in a noticeable way. Yes everything JHBrandt has noted in the last few posts are absolutely true but I haven't found one version over the other FOR ME makes any difference overall in my user experience at all. I know I started this all with the multiple versions and after testing all of them really cannot recommend one over the other. BTW when I reflashed v5 cc is working again on playback but no OSD for cc indicator again just as JHBrandt has stated. Will continue following this thread and the other one as well just to see what others come up with.

Last edited by Skitz1967; 05-23-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4700 of 5055 Old 05-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
Above mentioned quirk also happens on v11 on my 150
#1,#2,#3 my 150 v11 boots up in about 15 seconds, does NOT show cc-on or cc-off on playback but subtitles DO work, Green led stays solid as long as unit is on. Its red when unit is off
#4 on my 150 v11 they use 01, 02
#5 on my 150 v11 default choice is pvr
Thats it so far still rockin and liking v11


EDIT1: Just for grinz I loaded back up v5 and v2.1 and honestly coudnt tell the difference between any versions in a noticeable way. Yes everything JHBrandt has noted in the last few posts are absolutely true but I haven't found one version over the other FOR ME makes any difference overall in my user experience at all. I know I started this all with the multiple versions and after testing all of them really cannot recommend one over the other. BTW when I reflashed v5 cc is working again on playback but no OSD for cc indicator again just as JHBrandt has stated. Will continue following this thread and the other one as well just to see what others come up with.
Got very quiet on here JHBrandt did you die? Did your 180 remote explode causing you to die in a fiery explosion?
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4701 of 5055 Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
I'm still around. I ordered the 180 remote Friday but still haven't received it.

As I said, the differences between V2.1 and V5.0 are pretty minor. I suspect when I get that remote I'll find that 8.1 is basically the same as 2.1 and 11.0 is basically the same as 5.0, except of course for the remote (and they probably removed the "Modulation" setting from the Channel Search menu since it doesn't apply to the 180s).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-26-2016 at 07:28 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4702 of 5055 Old 05-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm still around. I ordered the 180 remote Friday but still haven't received it.

As I said, the differences between V2.1 and V5.0 are pretty minor. I suspect when I get that remote I'll find that 8.1 is basically the same as 2.1 and 11.0 is basically the same as 5.0, except of course for the remote (and they probably removed the "Modulation" setting from the Channel Search menu since it doesn't apply to the 180s).
I would tend to agree I was on 11.0, changed back to 2.1 as a test not changed to v5 and so far other then the very minor things you have noted I cant really tell any difference.

I also agree seems like v11 for the 180 = v5 for the 150
and v8.1 for the 180 = v2.1 for the 150

But still good to know we have that kind of flexibility

BTW did you notice that 2.1 + 6 = 8.1 and 5 + 6 =11?
Why 6? Who knows but almost seems to be a pattern there.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #4703 of 5055 Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Finally got my HW-180 remote today. I just now loaded V8.1 firmware onto my iView 3200, so I haven't had much time to check it yet, but I do have a few first impressions.

Edit: Once again, I'm updating this post to reflect version 5.3 vs. 5.0.

Let's start with the remote itself. The HW-180 remote is identical in size & shape to the iView 3200 remote, but the buttons are more similar to those on the HW-150 remote. The 180 remote has one more button than the 150 remote, so HomeWorX split the channel list function from OK and gave it its own button labeled "TV List." Naturally, the iView 3200 remote is more like the iView 3500 remote (except without the TV section).

The HW-150, HW-180, and iView remotes all use different code sets, so you must match your remote with the firmware you intend to use.

In some ways the iView remote is laid out better:

  1. The iView remote combines Play and Pause into one, saving a button.
  2. The iView remote uses OK for the channel list function (like the HW-150 remote), saving another button vs. the HW-180 remote.
  3. The iView remote lacks the HW-180 remote's "Hold" button, which AFAIK is only used to switch from preview to full-screen mode. iView uses "Schd" ("Timer" on the HW-180 remote) to switch to full-screen mode instead. That saves a third button.
  4. The iView remote uses the three saved buttons for additional functions: TV/Radio (mostly useless), Aspect (handy), and PVR (rather handy - goes directly to the PVR section of the USB menu).
  5. The iView remote more consistently places button labels above the buttons. The HW-180 remote has some labels above the buttons and some below, which is rather confusing.
  6. Lastly (and probably least), the iView remote uses more color than the HW-180 remote, making it a bit easier to find some buttons at a glance.

But in other ways, the HW-180 layout is better:

  1. The HW-180 remote has more engraved buttons (specifically, Record, Recall, Prev, & Next). To be fair, on the iView remote "Record" is solid red, but the other three don't exactly stand out.
  2. The HW-180 lays out the numeric digit buttons much more sensibly:

HW-180 layout:
1 2 3 USB
4 5 6 -
7 8 9 0

iView layout:
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 0 - GoTo

If everything else were equal, I'd have a slight preference for iView's remote despite its odd numeric digit layout, but when I wrote this, it could only be used with iView's buggy firmware - that's why I was testing HomeWorX firmware on my iView in the first place!

So how does the HW-180 firmware compare? So far, with V8.1, I've only seen a few differences from V2.1:

  1. Obviously, it uses the HW-180 remote.
  2. The iView 3200's front-panel LED appears to work normally: red in standby, green when on. One slight difference: iView firmware turns the green light off if the RF input signal is lost; HW-180 firmware leaves it on.
  3. As expected, there is no RF out selection in the menu, since the HW-180, like the iView 3200, has a hardware channel 3/4 switch for the RF output.
  4. Surprisingly, V8.1 uses labels "01," "02," and "03" in the Schedule list, like V5.3 and unlike V2.1.
  5. The info box that comes up when you change channels has a letter "D" about 2/3 the way across the top line. I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Edit: V8.1 has none of the usual bugs: scheduling from the EPG, daily recordings, and closed captions during playback all work normally. But it does have an unusual bug (at least I've never seen or heard of this before): direct entry of channel numbers seems to enter the channel number into the previous channel instead of the current channel! So when you type in the channel number, nothing happens, but if you then press the Recall button, it changes to the channel number you just entered! Very odd. Luckily, Channel +/-, Recall, and the channel list function all work fine to change channels.

V8.1 also had one other odd bug: only two shows would appear on the EPG after changing channels with the left/right arrow buttons! But if you exited and brought the EPG back up again, the channel you changed to would fill in fully.

OK, so much for V8.1; what about V11? I quickly learned that V11 is very much like V5.3, except for using the HW-180 remote and not having an RF out option in the menu. But the iView's LED works as it did in V5.0 (green when on, orange (red+green) when off), and V8.1's weird "D" in the info box is gone again. Scheduling from the EPG and daily recordings work. Closed captions work during playback, but there are no "CC*ON" or "CC*OFF" prompts. The USB button brings up the USB menu with PVR highlighted, also as with V5.3. Direct channel entry doesn't have V8.1's odd bug; the only problem is the OK button doesn't work here - you have to use the TV list (channel list) button instead (The OK button works correctly for other functions.)

V11 also corrects V8.1's bug when changing channels in the EPG, but occasionally the EPG in V11 will come up with one or two shows garbled. (This bug was also in V5.0 but seems to be fixed in V5.3.) If it happens just Exit and bring up the EPG again.

Every version I've tested has some trouble with closed captions when playing HD video. The high bit rate seems to overload the processor, and the captions slowly get further "behind" the actual audio. In every version I tried except V5.3, eventually some words get skipped. This doesn't seem to happen with SD video.

Every version I tested has the bug with scheduling a weekly or "once" recording across midnight. Well, to be honest I didn't test V8.1 for this bug, but since the other three all have it, I'm pretty sure V8.1 does too.

Overall impression: There's no perfect replacement firmware for the iView 3200, but any of these HomeWorX firmware versions is an improvement over iView's firmware if you don't mind spending $10 for a new remote. If you prefer the HW-150 remote, it's very close between V2.1 and V5.3. I'd probably give the nod to V5.3: I wish V2.1 brought up the USB menu with PVR preselected instead of Music, closed captions worked slightly better during playback, and the remote felt more responsive with V5.3 - but I prefer V2.1's button labels. If you prefer the HW-180 remote, I give V11 the nod over V8.1. If you have both HomeWorX remotes and no preference, or a programmable universal remote that can emulate either one, I'd give the nod to V5.3 over V11.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-04-2016 at 01:59 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4704 of 5055 Old 06-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Firmware

Does anybody know if iView is going to release a NEW version of the 3500stbII firmware anytime soon ?

Last edited by LH92037; 06-10-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
LH92037 is offline  
post #4705 of 5055 Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
I haven't heard anything. They seem to think their V5.0 firmware is just fine for their 7802-based boxes, and I've seen no evidence they're even aware of how buggy it is (like daily recordings not working). Their response to my email complaints was simply to mail me more buggy firmware.

Then there's iView's weird new box, the 3100, with totally different hardware and firmware. Sounds like it has some promise, but also problems of its own (like no weekly recordings - a deal-killer for many). Again, no idea if or when its shortcomings will be addressed with an update.

For those looking for something that the iView remote can be used with, your best bet is a 7816-based box, but at the moment I'm not even aware of a good source of 7816-based boxes. Mediasonic went back to 7802-based boxes again, with better firmware - but worse remotes - than the iView (see my last post).

The eMatic seems to be a crap shoot; you may get a relatively bug-free 7816 box, or a 7802 one with bugs similar to iView's V5.0. Even if you happen to get a 7816 box, I have no idea if iView's earlier, "good" firmware will run on it. An attempt to patch a buggy 7802-based eMatic with HomeWorX firmware was unsuccessful, so I'm not optimistic.

There are other clones out there, but not much info about which ones use which chip, or how compatible they might be with iView's earlier, less buggy firmware.

When the iView 3500s first came out, they were pretty buggy, but users on this forum were able to pressure them to deal with some of the more serious bugs. Slowly they made it into a usable product. I wonder if @videobruce or some of the other early iView users still have contacts at iView?
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4706 of 5055 Old 06-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Member
 
bobdro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had issues with the remote on this unit? At times the remote will not work at all and then times it works fine, however the sensitivity is poor. I also tried using a logitech 650 with the same results. Any help would be appreciated.
bobdro is offline  
post #4707 of 5055 Old 06-18-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Which unit do you have?
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4708 of 5055 Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question about 3200STB

I bought 3500STB iVIew first. As it did not have CC option, I was asked to replace with iView 3200STB. But I have few minor questions that someone may help me with.
1. When I use CC button, sometime it says CC*ON, 708C1, 601C1 etc some other words. Not every time it works.
2. When I schedule daily program, after first recording, the channel number is blanked out and it will not record (no channel number).
3. When schedule recoding (once) - some time there is no\thing recorded. And there is no ERROR to show what happened.
4. After playback, there is blank screen. The exit button (or any other button) does not work. I have to reset the iView box.(on and off power).
5. When <forward> in playback mode, sometime it shows 2x, 4x, 8x etc. And some time it does not.
6. I get 26 channels from Antenna directly but with the iView box, I only get 15 channels from same antenna. Any idea why?
7. On playback of recorded show, if fast forward, CC option goes away.
8. Is there Error indicator so I know what went wrong.It is not consistent with recording and I don't know when I have recorded program and when I have no program recorded.
Thanks for all the help,
Vasant
vasant910 is offline  
post #4709 of 5055 Old 07-01-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 807
If you use CC when watching a live show, it will cycle through several possible caption "sources," so you'll see 708C1/2/etc. then 608C1/2/etc. The "608" and "708" refer to old and new Electronic Industries Alliance standards for closed captions. Most broadcasts use the 708 captions; 708C1 is usually in the same language as the audio, while 708C3, if it exists, is usually in an alternate language, e.g., English for Spanish TV stations or vice-versa.

If you use CC when playing a recording, it will only show "CC*ON" or "CC*OFF" indicating only that you've turned closed captions on or off. The caption source has to be selected from the iView menu.

When watching HD video, captions often appear more slowly and some may be skipped completely. Also, display of closed captions is disabled during time-shifting, rewinding or FF.

Also, the tuners in these boxes overload very easily, producing electronic "noise" that can interfere with weaker stations. You can sometimes improve tuner performance by inserting an unnecessary splitter or two to weaken the RF input signal. This reduces overload and the noise it produces, but of course it can also make your weakest stations too weak to receive, so some stations may never work on the iView no matter what.

Finally, the firmware for the iViews is quite buggy. Daily recordings don't work correctly, for example. You can work around this by setting up multiple (typically five for Mon-Fri) weekly recordings for a daily show.

I've tested some HomeWorX firmware with the 3200 and found it to contain fewer bugs than iView's firmware (daily recordings work, for instance), but HomeWorX firmware will not work with iView's remote control. You would have to buy a HW-150 or HW-180 remote control (or a universal remote that can be programmed to emulate one of those) before you could use HomeWorX firmware.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4710 of 5055 Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Member
 
bobdro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdro View Post
Has anyone had issues with the remote on this unit? At times the remote will not work at all and then times it works fine, however the sensitivity is poor. I also tried using a logitech 650 with the same results. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for the delay. The unit is an Iview STB11 w/ the ch 3/4 switch on the back. Have tried to update firmware which did not help. Any hints on this? When it works, it works well but without remote control its useless. Thank you.
bobdro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off