iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

Old 05-20-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
can you give me a specific example with times and all so i can try and duplicate it
aka something like
recording 1 daily 2300 - 0000
recording 2 weekly whatever

What am i missing
Yes, that would probably be less confusing. Try this:
Recording 1 weekly, today from 2230-2300
Recording 2 weekly, today from 2330-0000

Schedule recording 1 first. V2.1 and V5.0 will tell you there's a conflict when you try to schedule recording 2. This is the bug.

Now change recording 2 to daily and try again. This time it will work. Or, if you delete the timers and schedule recording 2 first, it will let you schedule recording 1. (IOW, it works correctly in these cases.)

This bug has existed ever since the iView and HomeWorX first came out. I've never seen firmware that handles it correctly, but I still hold out hope for V11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yes, that would probably be less confusing. Try this:
Recording 1 weekly, today from 2230-2300
Recording 2 weekly, today from 2330-0000

Schedule recording 1 first. V2.1 and V5.0 will tell you there's a conflict when you try to schedule recording 2. This is the bug.

Now change recording 2 to daily and try again. This time it will work. Or, if you delete the timers and schedule recording 2 first, it will let you schedule recording 1. (IOW, it works correctly in these cases.)

This bug has existed ever since the iView and HomeWorX first came out. I've never seen firmware that handles it correctly, but I still hold out hope for V11
Well was likely just to late at night but got all confused even with your examples as didn't want to remove my current schedules. Sometimes I would get invalid program error. Apparently the way I want/need to schedule all my programs works ok just not sure they fit the pattern ur wanting me to test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160521_100719.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1451402  
Old 05-21-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

In that case don't worry about it. My HW-180 remote should arrive soon. Once it does, I'll test 8.1 and 11 for this bug when scheduling across midnight and report back.

I did notice another - I guess I'd call it a "quirk," not necessarily a bug. If you're playing a recording, turn on closed captions, then press "stop," it stops playing the closed captions, but not the recording! Pressing "stop" a second time stops playing the recording. This is in both V2.1 and V5.0. Odd.

So far the differences I've found between 2.1 and 5.0 are all fairly minor:

1. V2.1 boots a bit faster (15s vs 21s)
  2. V2.1 shows "CC*ON" and "CC*OFF" briefly when toggling closed captions during playback
  3. On the iView 3200, V5.0 turns the green LED on constantly, while V2.1 turns it on during boot-up only.
  4. Edit 1: On the menus and dialogs, the button labels (that tell you what buttons to press on your remote to perform various functions) are slightly different. For example, V2.1 shows "1," "2," etc., while V5.0 shows "01, "02," etc.

The V2.1 button labels make more sense to be. There is no "01" button, nor do you have to press "0" before pressing "1" in V5.0
  5. Edit 2: When you press the USB button, a different choice is selected on the USB menu. 2.1 defaults to Music while 5.0 defaults to PVR. PVR makes more sense to me; that's why you bought the thing, right?
Everything else I've tried has looked and acted the same with both versions.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-22-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
In that case don't worry about it. My HW-180 remote should arrive soon. Once it does, I'll test 8.1 and 11 for this bug when scheduling across midnight and report back.

I did notice another - I guess I'd call it a "quirk," not necessarily a bug. If you're playing a recording, turn on closed captions, then press "stop," it stops playing the closed captions, but not the recording! Pressing "stop" a second time stops playing the recording. This is in both V2.1 and V5.0. Odd.

So far the differences I've found between 2.1 and 5.0 are all fairly minor:

1. V2.1 boots a bit faster (15s vs 21s)
  2. V2.1 shows "CC*ON" and "CC*OFF" briefly when toggling closed captions during playback
  3. On the iView 3200, V5.0 turns the green LED on constantly, while V2.1 turns it on during boot-up only.

on my 150 v11 boots up in about 15 seconds, does NOT show ccn or ccff on playback but subtitles DO work, Green led stays solid as long as unit is on. Its red when unit is off
  4. Edit 1: On the menus and dialogs, the button labels (that tell you what buttons to press on your remote to perform various functions) are slightly different. For example, V2.1 shows "1," "2," etc., while V5.0 shows "01, "02," etc.
    The V2.1 button labels make more sense to be. There is no "01" button, nor do you have to press "0" before pressing "1" in V5.0

5. Edit 2: When you press the USB button, a different choice is selected on the USB menu. 2.1 defaults to Music while 5.0 defaults to PVR. PVR makes more sense to me; that's why you bought the thing, right?

Everything else I've tried has looked and acted the same with both versions.
Above mentioned quirk also happens on v11 on my 150
#1,#2,#3 my 150 v11 boots up in about 15 seconds, does NOT show cc-on or cc-off on playback but subtitles DO work, Green led stays solid as long as unit is on. Its red when unit is off
#4 on my 150 v11 they use 01, 02
#5 on my 150 v11 default choice is pvr
Thats it so far still rockin and liking v11

EDIT1: Just for grinz I loaded back up v5 and v2.1 and honestly coudnt tell the difference between any versions in a noticeable way. Yes everything JHBrandt has noted in the last few posts are absolutely true but I haven't found one version over the other FOR ME makes any difference overall in my user experience at all. I know I started this all with the multiple versions and after testing all of them really cannot recommend one over the other. BTW when I reflashed v5 cc is working again on playback but no OSD for cc indicator again just as JHBrandt has stated. Will continue following this thread and the other one as well just to see what others come up with.

Last edited by Skitz1967; 05-23-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
Above mentioned quirk also happens on v11 on my 150
#1,#2,#3 my 150 v11 boots up in about 15 seconds, does NOT show cc-on or cc-off on playback but subtitles DO work, Green led stays solid as long as unit is on. Its red when unit is off
#4 on my 150 v11 they use 01, 02
#5 on my 150 v11 default choice is pvr
Thats it so far still rockin and liking v11

EDIT1: Just for grinz I loaded back up v5 and v2.1 and honestly coudnt tell the difference between any versions in a noticeable way. Yes everything JHBrandt has noted in the last few posts are absolutely true but I haven't found one version over the other FOR ME makes any difference overall in my user experience at all. I know I started this all with the multiple versions and after testing all of them really cannot recommend one over the other. BTW when I reflashed v5 cc is working again on playback but no OSD for cc indicator again just as JHBrandt has stated. Will continue following this thread and the other one as well just to see what others come up with.
Got very quiet on here JHBrandt did you die? Did your 180 remote explode causing you to die in a fiery explosion?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still around. I ordered the 180 remote Friday but still haven't received it.

As I said, the differences between V2.1 and V5.0 are pretty minor. I suspect when I get that remote I'll find that 8.1 is basically the same as 2.1 and 11.0 is basically the same as 5.0, except of course for the remote (and they probably removed the "Modulation" setting from the Channel Search menu since it doesn't apply to the 180s).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-26-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm still around. I ordered the 180 remote Friday but still haven't received it.

As I said, the differences between V2.1 and V5.0 are pretty minor. I suspect when I get that remote I'll find that 8.1 is basically the same as 2.1 and 11.0 is basically the same as 5.0, except of course for the remote (and they probably removed the "Modulation" setting from the Channel Search menu since it doesn't apply to the 180s).
I would tend to agree I was on 11.0, changed back to 2.1 as a test not changed to v5 and so far other then the very minor things you have noted I cant really tell any difference.

I also agree seems like v11 for the 180 = v5 for the 150
and v8.1 for the 180 = v2.1 for the 150

But still good to know we have that kind of flexibility

BTW did you notice that 2.1 + 6 = 8.1 and 5 + 6 =11?
Why 6? Who knows but almost seems to be a pattern there.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got my HW-180 remote today. I just now loaded V8.1 firmware onto my iView 3200, so I haven't had much time to check it yet, but I do have a few first impressions.

Let's start with the remote itself. The HW-180 remote is identical in size & shape to the iView 3200 remote, but the buttons are more similar to those on the HW-150 remote. The 180 remote has one more button than the 150 remote, so HomeWorX split the channel list function from OK and gave it its own button labeled "TV List." Naturally, the iView 3200 remote is more like the iView 3500 remote (except without the TV section).

The HW-150, HW-180, and iView remotes all use different code sets, so you must match your remote with the firmware you intend to use.

In some ways the iView remote is laid out better:

1. The iView remote combines Play and Pause into one, saving a button.
  2. The iView remote uses OK for the channel list function (like the HW-150 remote), saving another button vs. the HW-180 remote.
  3. The iView remote lacks the HW-180 remote's "Hold" button, which AFAIK is only used to switch from preview to full-screen mode. iView uses "Schd" ("Timer" on the HW-180 remote) to switch to full-screen mode instead. That saves a third button.
  4. The iView remote uses the three saved buttons for additional functions: TV/Radio (mostly useless), Aspect (handy), and PVR (rather handy - goes directly to the PVR section of the USB menu).
  5. The iView remote more consistently places button labels above the buttons. The HW-180 remote has some labels above the buttons and some below, which is rather confusing.
  6. Lastly (and probably least), the iView remote uses more color than the HW-180 remote, making it a bit easier to find some buttons at a glance.

But in other ways, the HW-180 layout is better:

1. The HW-180 remote has more engraved buttons (specifically, Record, Recall, Prev, & Next). To be fair, on the iView remote "Record" is solid red, but the other three don't exactly stand out.
  2. The HW-180 lays out the numeric digit buttons much more sensibly:
HW-180 layout:
1 2 3 USB
4 5 6 -
7 8 9 0

iView layout:
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 0 - GoTo

If everything else were equal, I'd have a slight preference for iView's remote, but in the real world, it can only be used with iView's buggy firmware.

So how does the HW-180 firmware compare? So far, with V8.1, I've only seen a few differences from V2.1:

1. Obviously, it uses the HW-180 remote.
  2. The iView 3200's front-panel LED appears to work normally: red in standby, green when on. One slight difference: iView firmware turns the green light off if the RF input signal is lost; HW-180 firmware leaves it on.
  3. As expected, there is no RF out selection in the menu, since the HW-180, like the iView 3200, has a hardware channel 3/4 switch for the RF output.
  4. Surprisingly, V8.1 uses labels "01," "02," and "03" in the Schedule list, like V5.0 and unlike V2.1.
  5. The info box that comes up when you change channels has a letter "D" about 2/3 the way across the top line. I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Edit: V8.1 has none of the usual bugs: scheduling from the EPG, daily recordings, and closed captions during playback all work normally. But it does have an unusual bug (at least I've never seen or heard of this before): direct entry of channel numbers seems to enter the channel number into the previous channel instead of the current channel! So when you type in the channel number, nothing happens, but if you then press the Recall button, it changes to the channel number you just entered! Very odd. Luckily, Channel +/-, Recall, and the channel list function all work fine to change channels.

V8.1 also had one other odd bug: only two shows would appear on the EPG after changing channels with the left/right arrow buttons! But if you exited and brought the EPG back up again, the channel you changed to would fill in fully.

OK, so much for V8.1; what about V11? I quickly learned that V11 is very much like V5.0, except for booting faster (I timed 16-17 seconds vs. 21 seconds for V5.0), using the HW-180 remote, and not having an RF out option in the menu. But the iView's LED works as in V5.0 (green when on, orange (red+green) when off), and V8.1's weird "D" in the info box is gone again. Scheduling from the EPG and daily recordings work. Closed captions work during playback, but as with V5.0 there are no "CC*ON" or "CC*OFF" prompts. The USB button brings up the USB menu with PVR highlighted, also as with V5.0. Direct channel entry doesn't have V8.1's odd bug; the only problem is the OK button doesn't work here - you have to use the TV list (channel list) button instead (The OK button works correctly for other functions.)

V11 also corrects V8.1's bug when changing channels in the EPG, but occasionally the EPG in V5.0 or V11 will come up with one or two shows garbled. If that happens just Exit and bring up the EPG again.

Every version I've tested has some trouble with closed captions when playing HD video. The high bit rate seems to overload the processor, and the captions slowly get further "behind" the actual audio until eventually some words get skipped. This doesn't seem to happen with SD video.

Every version I tested has the bug scheduling a weekly or "once" recording across midnight. Well, to be honest I didn't test V8.1 for this bug, but since the other three all have it, I'm pretty sure V8.1 does too.

Overall impression: There's no perfect replacement firmware for the iView 3200, but any of these HomeWorX firmware versions is an improvement over iView's firmware if you don't mind spending $10 for a new remote. If you prefer the HW-150 remote, I give V2.1 the nod over V5.0 (although I wish V2.1 brought up the USB menu with PVR preselected instead of Music). If you prefer the HW-180 remote, I give V11 the nod over V8.1. If you have both HomeWorX remotes and no preference, or a programmable universal remote that can emulate either one, I'd give the nod to V2.1 over V11, but it's close.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-02-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Firmware

Does anybody know if iView is going to release a NEW version of the 3500stbII firmware anytime soon ?

Last edited by LH92037; 06-10-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard anything. They seem to think their V5.0 firmware is just fine for their 7802-based boxes, and I've seen no evidence they're even aware of how buggy it is (like daily recordings not working). Their response to my email complaints was simply to mail me more buggy firmware.

Then there's iView's weird new box, the 3100, with totally different hardware and firmware. Sounds like it has some promise, but also problems of its own (like no weekly recordings - a deal-killer for many). Again, no idea if or when its shortcomings will be addressed with an update.

For those looking for something that the iView remote can be used with, your best bet is a 7816-based box, but at the moment I'm not even aware of a good source of 7816-based boxes. Mediasonic went back to 7802-based boxes again, with better firmware - but worse remotes - than the iView (see my last post).

The eMatic seems to be a crap shoot; you may get a relatively bug-free 7816 box, or a 7802 one with bugs similar to iView's V5.0. Even if you happen to get a 7816 box, I have no idea if iView's earlier, "good" firmware will run on it. An attempt to patch a buggy 7802-based eMatic with HomeWorX firmware was unsuccessful, so I'm not optimistic.

There are other clones out there, but not much info about which ones use which chip, or how compatible they might be with iView's earlier, less buggy firmware.

When the iView 3500s first came out, they were pretty buggy, but users on this forum were able to pressure them to deal with some of the more serious bugs. Slowly they made it into a usable product. I wonder if @videobruce or some of the other early iView users still have contacts at iView?
Old 06-17-2016, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had issues with the remote on this unit? At times the remote will not work at all and then times it works fine, however the sensitivity is poor. I also tried using a logitech 650 with the same results. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Which unit do you have?
Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question about 3200STB

I bought 3500STB iVIew first. As it did not have CC option, I was asked to replace with iView 3200STB. But I have few minor questions that someone may help me with.
1. When I use CC button, sometime it says CC*ON, 708C1, 601C1 etc some other words. Not every time it works.
2. When I schedule daily program, after first recording, the channel number is blanked out and it will not record (no channel number).
3. When schedule recoding (once) - some time there is no\thing recorded. And there is no ERROR to show what happened.
4. After playback, there is blank screen. The exit button (or any other button) does not work. I have to reset the iView box.(on and off power).
5. When <forward> in playback mode, sometime it shows 2x, 4x, 8x etc. And some time it does not.
6. I get 26 channels from Antenna directly but with the iView box, I only get 15 channels from same antenna. Any idea why?
7. On playback of recorded show, if fast forward, CC option goes away.
8. Is there Error indicator so I know what went wrong.It is not consistent with recording and I don't know when I have recorded program and when I have no program recorded.
Thanks for all the help,
Vasant
Old 07-01-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If you use CC when watching a live show, it will cycle through several possible caption "sources," so you'll see 708C1/2/etc. then 608C1/2/etc. The "608" and "708" refer to old and new Electronic Industries Alliance standards for closed captions. Most broadcasts use the 708 captions; 708C1 is usually in the same language as the audio, while 708C3, if it exists, is usually in an alternate language, e.g., English for Spanish TV stations or vice-versa.

If you use CC when playing a recording, it will only show "CC*ON" or "CC*OFF" indicating only that you've turned closed captions on or off. The caption source has to be selected from the iView menu.

When watching HD video, captions often appear more slowly and some may be skipped completely. Also, display of closed captions is disabled during time-shifting, rewinding or FF.

Also, the tuners in these boxes overload very easily, producing electronic "noise" that can interfere with weaker stations. You can sometimes improve tuner performance by inserting an unnecessary splitter or two to weaken the RF input signal. This reduces overload and the noise it produces, but of course it can also make your weakest stations too weak to receive, so some stations may never work on the iView no matter what.

Finally, the firmware for the iViews is quite buggy. Daily recordings don't work correctly, for example. You can work around this by setting up multiple (typically five for Mon-Fri) weekly recordings for a daily show.

I've tested some HomeWorX firmware with the 3200 and found it to contain fewer bugs than iView's firmware (daily recordings work, for instance), but HomeWorX firmware will not work with iView's remote control. You would have to buy a HW-150 or HW-180 remote control (or a universal remote that can be programmed to emulate one of those) before you could use HomeWorX firmware.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdro View Post
Has anyone had issues with the remote on this unit? At times the remote will not work at all and then times it works fine, however the sensitivity is poor. I also tried using a logitech 650 with the same results. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for the delay. The unit is an Iview STB11 w/ the ch 3/4 switch on the back. Have tried to update firmware which did not help. Any hints on this? When it works, it works well but without remote control its useless. Thank you.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdro View Post
Sorry for the delay. The unit is an Iview STB11 w/ the ch 3/4 switch on the back. Have tried to update firmware which did not help. Any hints on this? When it works, it works well but without remote control its useless. Thank you.
I believe some people had issues with the remote sensor(in the iView) being mounted off center behind the IR window. Search this thread and you should find information on it. I believe one fix was to put some Scotch tape over the sensor which helps disperse the IR signal into the sensor. I guess the correct fix would be to reposition the IR sensor to be in the center of the window but that may be easier said than done. I don't believe the problem is the IR remote(which your statement about a universal remote also not working very well) but rather the pickup sensor inside the iView.
JHBrandt likes this.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I believe some people had issues with the remote sensor(in the iView) being mounted off center behind the IR window. Search this thread and you should find information on it. I believe one fix was to put some Scotch tape over the sensor which helps disperse the IR signal into the sensor. I guess the correct fix would be to reposition the IR sensor to be in the center of the window but that may be easier said than done. I don't believe the problem is the IR remote(which your statement about a universal remote also not working very well) but rather the pickup sensor inside the iView.
Thnks for the input. I gues it's time to take this thing apart and see what I can do with it. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just be careful not to break it! The STBII units with the channel 3/4 switch are no longer made and the new STBIIs have lots more firmware problems than those did.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Just be careful not to break it! The STBII units with the channel 3/4 switch are no longer made and the new STBIIs have lots more firmware problems than those did.
Will do!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Regarding the units with a ch3/4 output: Do they mean a built-in RF modulator which transmits analog NTSC or modern day digital ATSC?
Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Analog NTSC only. It's presumably for folks with older TVs with only an RF input. I've never seen a consumer-grade device with an ATSC modulator.

I did see a standalone HD QAM modulator a few years ago. It was several hundred dollars, so I'm not surprised we don't see them in consumer-grade equipment.

(BTW, all the iViews have a channel 3/4 output; the difference is that some have a hardware switch to select the channel, while others select the channel via the firmware menu.)
m. zillch likes this.
Old Today, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a minor thing; but over the weekend I was able to bring my 3200 remote and 3500 remote together to test on the same box. Turns out both remotes use the same codes, so they can be used interchangeably. I suspected as much because iView sent me 3500 firmware when I complained about bugs in the 3200 firmware and the 3500 firmware worked with the 3200 remote (didn't fix the bugs though), but I wasn't certain until I got to try both remotes in the same room. That means 3200 owners can upgrade to the larger, nicer 3500 remote without having to load new firmware.

IMO this is one thing iView has done right. I wish Mediasonic had done this with the Homeworx STBs and remotes, instead of having two different remotes with different code sets. You shouldn't have to cross-flash "illegal" firmware onto your box just to use a nicer remote.
m. zillch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement