Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #451 of 3826 Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I too emailed Robert a few days ago, no response as of yet.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3826 Old 06-09-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Videobruce,

I know you tested the IView with a 2 1/2 hard drive powered by the IView and I think you did not like the heat produced inside. Is this still the case and has anyone else tried powering a small drive with the Iview?
post #453 of 3826 Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
I don't want to step on videbruce's toes, but thought adding more voices to the mix might let them know they have customers who are eager to get some of the quirks fixed.
It was my "two cents" and I'll leave it up to VB in the future.
You were not stepping on anyones toes. Please don't leave it up to me or any other one person to get anything accomplished. You are right about having more voices.
BTW, I believe it may be a cultural thing not to respond to e-mails as I have run into that before. He is reading this thread and he does read his e-mails.

What would really help if we could contact them overseas and direct comments to them directly. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #454 of 3826 Old 06-09-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I know you tested the IView with a 2 1/2 hard drive powered by the IView and I think you did not like the heat produced inside. Is this still the case
Still the case, but no issues so far. It's the same drive I have inside the VRX that can be powered by either and used in either. (I partitioned it for NTFS and ext2 wink.gif )

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #455 of 3826 Old 06-09-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I re-loaded the V6 firmware and added the more stable V4 firmware, both using 7z and renaming them to .zip to meet the forums requirements in post 5.

I did try again using the zip format, but the size was apparently too large (2x of what 7Zip is) so it was rejected. Even editing a post is a hassle thanks to the lame software they dumped on us a year ago. mad.gif

post #456 of 3826 Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I re-loaded the V6 firmware and added the more stable V4 firmware, both using 7z and renaming them to .zip to meet the forums requirements in post 5.

You really shouldn't do that, as using an incorrect extension just causes confusion. You should upload the file to an external hosting site (or post the bin files in separate archives) since a single attachment is too large as a zip file.
post #457 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video." VB, I am unaware why the USA has more OTA TV, care to enlighten me? And why is the internet bad for streaming video? It seems to me more services for streaming video are popping up all the time. "Just a newbie to a lot of this technical stuff"
post #458 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What would really help if we could contact them overseas and direct comments to them directly. wink.gif

Having worked directly with some major mfg's Japanese engineers on multiple projects ..that is not always the best case. You're assuming they can understand and converse with you easily. Besides, most always, they are pretty regimented about following the chain of command. wink.gif It's the respect thing. smile.gif
Yamaha especially..Sony and JVC not so much so. Who knows about anyone else.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #459 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You really shouldn't do that, as using an incorrect extension just causes confusion.
I realize that, but the forum didn't leave me much choice. mad.gif
I have renamed files for specific reasons before with no issue. What he sent me unpacked with no issue, so I didn't see need to change things other than the extension name. I'll look into trying to host it outside the forum somewhere.
BTW, this doesn't let me post the files separately either. I would see if they were .exe's but they aren't.
Quote:
It seems to me more services for streaming video are popping up all the time.
Because it is easy to do. Easy, cheap and lazy. Our portion of the Internet is decades old as opposed to some foreign countries where their systems are new, built for streaming. I believe Japan is an example
Quote:
You're assuming they can understand and converse with you easily.
Assuming they should understand.
What happens if their man overseas (here) isn't regarded as well as he should be? Someone with little power or say? wink.gif

post #460 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Having worked directly with some major mfg's Japanese engineers on multiple projects ..that is not always the best case. You're assuming they can understand and converse with you easily. Besides, most always, they are pretty regimented about following the chain of command. wink.gif It's the respect thing. smile.gif
Yamaha especially..Sony and JVC not so much so. Who knows about anyone else.

It would be a mistake to lump all Asian cultures together. There are differences. Just like there are even differences in this country between the north and the south for example. I believe the IView folks are Chinese? Anyway you can't paint them all with the same brush.

A businessman with honor and integrity regardless of nationality or ethnicity will want to make a product that works well and have happy customers. This is true no matter where in the world the product comes from. It is a winning formula in business.
post #461 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

NTFS or FAT32 that is the question. Which is better to use with the IVIEW? Looks like my IVIEW only formats the drive FAT32. Videobruce I think you were showing NTFS in the posts at the beginning of this forum. So if I already have a drive formatted NTFS will the IVIEW work with it?
post #462 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quick questions: Under V6, does the "info" button do anything for anyone?

[Edit] I guess I was looking for the info button to bring up the info banner of the channel currently being watched. Anyway to do this other than hitting OK twice and basically re-selecting the channel?
post #463 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

NTFS or FAT32 that is the question. Which is better to use with the IVIEW? Looks like my IVIEW only formats the drive FAT32. Videobruce I think you were showing NTFS in the posts at the beginning of this forum. So if I already have a drive formatted NTFS will the IVIEW work with it?

It does both. When in the formating menu you can change the setting from FAT32 to NTFS.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #464 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Videobruce,

I know you tested the IView with a 2 1/2 hard drive powered by the IView and I think you did not like the heat produced inside. Is this still the case and has anyone else tried powering a small drive with the Iview?

I've been powering my Toshiba Canvio 1TB drive with the iView. I have no idea what the localized temperatures are in the power supply, but so far everything seems to be working fine (other than the firmware stability issues with V6). The Canvio shuts down when not in use, which I'm sure helps with the heating problem.

post #465 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

It does both. When in the formating menu you can change the setting from FAT32 to NTFS.

I looked at the formatting menu again today and I only see the option for FAT32. That's why I was asking about NTFS. I believe NTFS is considered superior for large file processing.

I guess if I can't format it for NTFS on the IVIEW I can bring it over to a computer and format it for NTFS there. Strange that I don't see NTFS as an option.
post #466 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I looked at the formatting menu again today and I only see the option for FAT32. That's why I was asking about NTFS. I believe NTFS is considered superior for large file processing.

I guess if I can't format it for NTFS on the IVIEW I can bring it over to a computer and format it for NTFS there. Strange that I don't see NTFS as an option.

Did you scroll down to where it says FAT32 and use the right and left arrows to change the format? At least it worked that way in the O.E. firmware. Or, is this a thumb drive you're formatting? It may not let you format a thumbdrive in NTFS.

post #467 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad21 View Post

I am unaware why the USA has more OTA TV, care to enlighten me?

Americans are couch potatoes. People in other countries are still barbaric enough to enjoy visiting that strange place our forefathers once called "outside". eek.gif
Quote:

NTFS or FAT32 that is the question. Which is better to use with the IVIEW?

NTFS is required to have files larger than 4 GiB, which you need to record HD programs, unless the iView splits single recordings into multiple files, and you don't care about having contiguous episodes.
post #468 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Americans are couch potatoes. People in other countries are still barbaric enough to enjoy visiting that strange place our forefathers once called "outside". eek.gif

Is there an app for this thing called "outside" that you speak of? tongue.gif
MaxxFordham likes this.

Bob

post #469 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Liked: 21
Aleron Ives
Quote:
NTFS is required to have files larger than 4 GiB, which you need to record HD programs, unless the iView splits single recordings into multiple files, and you don't care about having contiguous episodes.

Just recorded a 2 hour program with a 4GB SanDisk USB "Thumb Drive" FAT32

The iView recorded the entire 2 hours and stored the program in five 512Mb separate files.
They were named and numbered..... nnnnnn.mts, nnnnnn.mts1, nnnnnn.mts2, etc..

I wanted to takes these files and write them to a DVD in consecutive order. I needed to rename all the files since each segmented file had a sequence number appended to the file extension. Would have been much easier to the sequence number was part of the actual file name.
iView doesn't have a problem with the numbered file extensions. Most likely because this is straightened out via the.... MM_PLAY_TIME.ini file contained the drives HBPVR directory.
videobruce likes this.
post #470 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just thinking is there any hidden menus on the iview? I am the type that loves to look for Easter eggs.smile.gif
post #471 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 21
cool.gif Don't know of any Easter Eggs or hidden menus. But..... with the way things are going now days there might be something in there (thanks to the NSA) that allows them to keep track of what we watch.eek.gif
post #472 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #473 of 3826 Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes, that's a pretty funny hoax. eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #474 of 3826 Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I would only use NTFS. AFAIK it's more efficient. Besides it's the newest.
Quote:
The Canvio shuts down when not in use, which I'm sure helps with the heating problem.
I wish mine did. Any idea what chipset that interface uses, since that is the difference?
Quote:
I looked at the formatting menu again today and I only see the option for FAT32.
What HDD and enclosure are you using? I hope you aren't using a USB stick are you??
Quote:
Just thinking is there any hidden menus on the iview?
Kinda doubt it since this is not a complex device, I never asked, the subject never came up.

post #475 of 3826 Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Did you scroll down to where it says FAT32 and use the right and left arrows to change the format? At least it worked that way in the O.E. firmware. Or, is this a thumb drive you're formatting? It may not let you format a thumbdrive in NTFS.

Thank YOU! I had no idea that there were choices based upon the display! I just went back in and sure enough there was the option for NTFS.

The way the MENU is designed for just about everything else there are arrows to indicate more options. However for the drive formatting for some reason (Design Error) there are no indicators that there are options.
post #476 of 3826 Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 13
FYI

Hi David,

Sorry did not reply back sooner. We acknowledge that we are having some issues with the new converter box + dvr. We are constantly revising a new firmware to have available soon to fix this issue. I have let our engineer know this issue and also has forwarded your email to them, thanks for letting us know your opinion and issues found on our unit, this will help us improve more on future products.

Robert Chui

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2013 7:47 AM
To: robertchui@iviewus.com
Subject: 3500STB

Dear Mr. Chui,

I recently purchased an iView 3500STB. After using this product and reading reviews and comments on various websites and forums, I think we can acknowledge that there is a long list of "quirks" with this product.

Even so, I do not intend to return my 3500STB and will continue to use it with the hope that some of the quirks will be corrected in future firmware releases.

I personally feel that the issues with trying to record Daily and Weekly shows should be prioritized. Presently after recording the first show, of a daily series, the date jumps forward 6 days. For a weekly recording the date jumps forward 12 days after the first recording. One should not have to go in and edit the program after every recording to make sure the next show will not be missed.

Having done a little software development in the past (but not knowing how the firmware for the 3500STB is written) it seems to me this problem could easily be fixed. Rather than the frimware updating the "Start Date" (increment one day) after every recording, I would think that the firmware would just compare the programmed Start Date with the actual date (data which is shown on the upper right of the EPG) and keep recording as long as the date was greater than or equal (if EPG_Date is >= Scheduled_Start Date then record program).
Something similar could be done for Weekly recordings, by adding names of the days (Monday, Tuesday...) to the Repeat field, and then comparing it to the name of the week that is shown in the EPG data field (if EPG_Day = Schedule_Day then record show).

I think, with a few changes in the firmware, iView will have a very nice product.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Sincerely,

Dave
post #477 of 3826 Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would only use NTFS. AFAIK it's more efficient. Besides it's the newest.

Technically, NTFS is less efficient, as journaling filesystems have more overhead than is necessary for a DVR, but the need for large file support still makes it a better option than FAT32, while ext2 would be the best of both worlds (sans compatibility with Windows).
post #478 of 3826 Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wish mine did. Any idea what chipset that interface uses, since that is the difference?

Your guess and research is as good as mine. I have no clue.

post #479 of 3826 Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Dave95;
What was your question or comment?
Quote:
the need for large file support still makes it a better option than FAT32
and ext3 is even better. smile.gif

post #480 of 3826 Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Many aren't fans, but exFAT is a good alternative for devices that require FAT but you need to be able to have files over 4gb. Not super efficient, but it really doesn't need to be.

--
(this space for rent)
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page