iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #4861 of 5012 Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 774
V13 for the 3500STBII isn't on their Web page anymore, but it can still be downloaded directly from iView at http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...ll_flashAA.bin. They just removed the link from the Web page; they didn't remove the firmware file.

I don't know who put that "1309" version on their Web page. That does nothing but confuse people. I checked it a while ago and once you unpack it, it's just a copy of V1 - which is already listed further down the page!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5012 Old 01-13-2017, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony7 View Post
Thanks for the kind offer to send me the V13, and yes, I think that is the one that I need; however, I just tried to send you a PM but it wouldn't let me as it said I didn't have enough posts to PM yet. You can send the firmware to new_age_guitarist at hotmail.com. My email is all over the net anyway, so no problems. Thanks again for doing this.

I have all three versions of the 3500STBII but I have only used them via HDMI, so I can't comment on your brightness problem. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I emailed IView over a week ago about this firmware issue and they still haven't gotten back to me, if they ever will, so you're spot on---they are definitely slow to respond. It doesn't seem like any of the companies that make these little boxes have very efficient customer service
Hey no problem at all, that's why I keep the older versions, you never know when it might be needed. I did send you an email, all set. Let us know how that works, I'm pretty sure that's the version you're looking for since I saved everything from back then.

Yeah iView did ask me which models I had, but that was about 2 weeks ago. The time was ticking to get a refund on the 3500STBII so I didn't think I was going to wait around for iView. Now if they can come up with a fix for my 3500STB fine, I can wait. That problem is some frequencies are missing from the QAM line up. Where the newer MStar 7802 boxes can pick up my older 7816-based box cannot. Very odd. It's only missing a local channel anyway, and I never watch that channel, so it doesn't matter that much! lol, just like to get it fixed.

Well at least we know that you haven't had any HDMI issues. Yeah this was quite obvious from the moment I plugged it in that it was half-brightness on the composite video output. I did flash to different versions and it brightened it up but nowhere near what my original 3500STB (nice and bright) or the CM-7003 (channel master) is. Oh well.. At least I have the 7003 as a backup.
post #4863 of 5012 Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
V13 for the 3500STBII isn't on their Web page anymore, but it can still be downloaded directly from iView at http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...ll_flashAA.bin. They just removed the link from the Web page; they didn't remove the firmware file.

I don't know who put that "1309" version on their Web page. That does nothing but confuse people. I checked it a while ago and once you unpack it, it's just a copy of V1 - which is already listed further down the page!
I did remove the "usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin" and was able to access the rest of that directory. At the bottom I see the file you're talking about. I wonder.. the one that says usb_upgrade_all_QAM.bin, is that for the 3500STB or it's for the 3500STBII? Not that you know JHBrandt just asking if you did know.

Yeah I had to stop and think what they meant by 1309, then I realized it was part of the serial number!

post #4864 of 5012 Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That QAM firmware version is very strange. I extracted the ID strings with a hex editor:

Model: ATSC - TEST
SW Version: CL630133 130618 V7
HW Version: KLF7816-ATSC-01

It's hard to tell much from that, other than that it was written for 7816 boxes, and (from the [20]13 06 18 date - six months older than V13) it's probably for the same boxes (with the Samsung demod chips) as V13. (Maybe some of our iView old-timers will recognize it.) So it probably wouldn't brick your 3500STB, and might even work. But I don't think it was written for it.

I think it may be generic firmware, before iView customized it to their box. It's probably a mistake that it's on iView's download server at all. I don't ever remember seeing a link to it on any of iView's regular download pages. I can't imagine an older version would tune more channels than a newer one, but stranger things have happened with iView.

That download page doesn't show file dates, but all those usb*.bin files have been there for as long as I can remember. There is no new firmware for older boxes there. As I said before, iView can barely handle maintaining firmware for their current boxes! Maintaining firmware for old boxes they aren't making money on any more (and are long out of warranty) is probably too much to ask.
post #4865 of 5012 Old 01-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Red face

Quote:
That QAM firmware version is very strange. I extracted the ID strings with a hex editor:

Model: ATSC - TEST
SW Version: CL630133 130618 V7
HW Version: KLF7816-ATSC-01

It's hard to tell much from that, other than that it was written for 7816 boxes, and (from the [20]13 06 18 date - six months older than V13) it's probably for the same boxes (with the Samsung demod chips) as V13. (Maybe some of our iView old-timers will recognize it.) So it probably wouldn't brick your 3500STB, and might even work. But I don't think it was written for it.

I think it may be generic firmware, before iView customized it to their box. It's probably a mistake that it's on iView's download server at all. I don't ever remember seeing a link to it on any of iView's regular download pages. I can't imagine an older version would tune more channels than a newer one, but stranger things have happened with iView.

That download page doesn't show file dates, but all those usb*.bin files have been there for as long as I can remember. There is no new firmware for older boxes there. As I said before, iView can barely handle maintaining firmware for their current boxes! Maintaining firmware for old boxes they aren't making money on any more (and are long out of warranty) is probably too much to ask.
Yup I do have that version, thanks for checking it out "internally" to see what it was. I have that version dated 6-18-13. I have used it, there were two versions both were trying to make the "QAM Physical" work better. I've alternated between V6 and V7 of the QAM, and they're about the only ones that actually will tune my cable's QAM in at all. What I have done to make things work is install the latest version of firmware for the 3500STB called "all flash V6" but it's not the V6 QAM Physical, it's a different V6 (very confusing). But I installed that, did a factory reset, then re-scanned for the channels. This newer version will ignore all the scrambled, non-QAM channels, plus it will give the network named to all the channels, not just the channel number.

On some of the local ota re-broadcasted channels, the program guide actually works for once, at least on cable!

Once this latest version is installed, I re-flash to V6 QAM Physical but I don't do the factory reset. Then I can tune in the other channels that are pixelating under the newest firmware. I know it's a half-n-half solution but it's what I played around with and found works to get the majority of the stations on my cable system.

Thanks again for looking into that firmware, I really appreciate the help!

Also, I agree, I don't think iView can handle the CURRENT firmware, forget one that is going on 4 years old! I think I'll keep the CM-7003 around just in case this 3500STB has more issues.
post #4866 of 5012 Old 01-14-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just bought another 3500STBII (#3 ) to supplement my current unit (#2). (#1 gave up the ghost.) Both are for ATSC reception, but the new unit is connected to a different indoor antenna.

It works properly for manual recording. But it will not do scheduled recording. I thought perhaps it was a question of the USB drive (a 2TB Seagate USB3). I tried the 1TB Toshiba USB2 drive that I use with STB #2. Scheduled recording does not work with this either. In both cases it displays the starting booked event message, but it never really records nor does it display recording time in the upper left corner (as it does with manual recording).

As expected, unit #3 will not play back MTS files recorded in "PVR" mode on unit #2. This is inconvenient, but inability to do scheduled recording is a serious issue.
post #4867 of 5012 Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What firmware version is it? I mean, I'm sure it's V5.0 because all the new ones are, but what date does the "SW version" under System / Information give?
post #4868 of 5012 Old 01-15-2017, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneheadlight View Post
Hey no problem at all, that's why I keep the older versions, you never know when it might be needed. I did send you an email, all set. Let us know how that works, I'm pretty sure that's the version you're looking for since I saved everything from back then.

Yeah iView did ask me which models I had, but that was about 2 weeks ago. The time was ticking to get a refund on the 3500STBII so I didn't think I was going to wait around for iView. Now if they can come up with a fix for my 3500STB fine, I can wait. That problem is some frequencies are missing from the QAM line up. Where the newer MStar 7802 boxes can pick up my older 7816-based box cannot. Very odd. It's only missing a local channel anyway, and I never watch that channel, so it doesn't matter that much! lol, just like to get it fixed.

Well at least we know that you haven't had any HDMI issues. Yeah this was quite obvious from the moment I plugged it in that it was half-brightness on the composite video output. I did flash to different versions and it brightened it up but nowhere near what my original 3500STB (nice and bright) or the CM-7003 (channel master) is. Oh well.. At least I have the 7003 as a backup.
Thanks so much for sending me that firmware. It worked like a charm. I was actually reading through the thread on the Channel Master box and I saw your posts there, as I was looking into replacements if I couldn't get this box to work again. I read about the issues that you and others were having with it; it seems that all these cheapo boxes have their faults, so everyone just has to decide which faults are better for their given situation. Brightness issue aside, do you like the Channel Master better or think it is of higher quality?

You have made me curious about the composite issue. Tomorrow, I am going to try all 3 generations of the box with the composite output just to see if there is any differentiation in the brightness levels. Do you have the new version of the box with the green LEDs?

JHBrandt, thank you also for the link. I think I am going to save a backup copy since I know this firmware version works well for me. I probably won't be trying to upgrade that box again since I doubt IView is even actively working on improving a box that old and I really don't have any major complaints about V13 for my uses.

Thanks again to both of you!
post #4869 of 5012 Old 01-15-2017, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
I just bought another 3500STBII to supplement my current unit (#2). (#1 gave up the ghost.) Both are for ATSC reception, but the new unit is connected to a different indoor antenna.

It works properly for manual recording. But it will not do scheduled recording. I thought perhaps it was a question of the USB drive (a 2TB Seagate USB3). I tried the 1TB Toshiba USB2 drive that I use with STB Scheduled recording does not work with this either. In both cases it displays the starting booked event message, but it never really records nor does it display recording time in the upper left corner (as it does with manual recording).

As expected, unit will not play back MTS files recorded in "PVR" mode on unit This is inconvenient, but inability to do scheduled recording is a serious issue.
I just got the 3rd generation box about two weeks ago and I had the same problem with scheduled recording with the firmware that came on the box. I downloaded the one from IView's site for the 1604, and installed the one marked flash.bin, and then I had the issue of no sound after reboot and the aspect ratio was incorrect. Once I installed the one called usb_uprgrade_all flash.bin, it worked as expected. It has been virtually trouble free since then, so perhaps that can help you too.

As far as playing the files from the previous versions, all you do is rename them with an mp4 or avi extension and you'll be able to watch them on your new box.
post #4870 of 5012 Old 01-16-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What firmware version is it? I mean, I'm sure it's V5.0 because all the new ones are, but what date does the "SW version" under System / Information give?
SW Ver 20160815V5.0
HW Ver 78021237836650

One scheduled recording (out of many trials) DID work. This was set from the EPG, but of course it missed the beginning of the show. I always schedule manually to start at xx:59 to avoid this problem.

It seems that it takes this box #3 much longer to start a recording than I was used to with box #2. Perhaps the scheduled recording is failing if the drive does not respond soon enough...

A minor irritation: When changing channels, the program information stays up almost 15 seconds -- much longer than with box #2.
post #4871 of 5012 Old 01-16-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
SW Ver 20160815V5.0
HW Ver 78021237836650

One scheduled recording (out of many trials) DID work. This was set from the EPG, but of course it missed the beginning of the show. I always schedule manually to start at xx:59 to avoid this problem.

It seems that it takes this box #3 much longer to start a recording than I was used to with box #2. Perhaps the scheduled recording is failing if the drive does not respond soon enough...

A minor irritation: When changing channels, the program information stays up almost 15 seconds -- much longer than with box #2.
Got it. That date matches the 1511-EPGFix version on iView's web site.

LH92037 had a similar issue with that firmware version; installing the 1604 version (dated 20160923) fixed it for him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH92037 View Post
But @LH92037 had some problems with failed recordings to SanDisk thumb drives with that version. LH92037 is now trying the "1604" firmware version which is similar, although I found a few minor bugs in it.

JH .. The 1604 f/w update solved both my "Add Event" bug and failed recording problems (without having to purchase a new thumb drive). As you noted, 1604 has a few minor bugs, but no deal killers.

http://www.iviewus.com/firmware3500STBII/
If installing 1604 doesn't work, try setting up a dummy 1-minute recording just before the "real" recording. Of course you shouldn't have to do this, but if it's a problem with the drive spinning up too slowly, that would probably fix it.

Regarding the program info window, I have a similar issue with my DVR+. I've just gotten used to hitting Info twice, but I wish they would make the time it displays user-selectable.
post #4872 of 5012 Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post
I was looking to use a powered drive, and was specifically looking at a Seagate 3TB Expansion drive. So I got one, hooked it up to the iView, and found the iView would not even boot. I do believe the problem is that Seagate uses GPT in their firmware....

max
Actually there are two possible problems that can cause this:

1. GPT vs. MBR partition table. Luckily, this is not in the HDD firmware, but is part of the boot sector. That means it can be changed (e.g., on a PC). However, changing to MBR will limit you to about 2.2TB, so you'll lose about 25% of the HDD capacity if you do that.
  2. 4K sectors vs. 512-byte sectors. Modern HDDs use 4K sectors, but for compatibility, the HDD's firmware normally simulates the older 512-byte sectors. However, some USB-attached HDDs reverse this simulation and present 4K sectors instead of the simulated 512-byte sectors. This has advantages (e.g., you can escape the above limitation, accessing up to 17TB even with an MBR partition table), but 4K sectors are probably not compatible with the iView.
post #4873 of 5012 Old 01-21-2017, 09:49 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony7 View Post
Thanks so much for sending me that firmware. It worked like a charm. I was actually reading through the thread on the Channel Master box and I saw your posts there, as I was looking into replacements if I couldn't get this box to work again. I read about the issues that you and others were having with it; it seems that all these cheapo boxes have their faults, so everyone just has to decide which faults are better for their given situation. Brightness issue aside, do you like the Channel Master better or think it is of higher quality?

You have made me curious about the composite issue. Tomorrow, I am going to try all 3 generations of the box with the composite output just to see if there is any differentiation in the brightness levels. Do you have the new version of the box with the green LEDs?

Thanks again to both of you!
I've been away from this forum, sorry for the delay in responding. Were you able to try the composite output on all of your boxes?

I'm trying to remember what color was on the 35000STBII front display LED's.. you know I can't remember. I know that the serial number began with 1609, and it did not have a physical 3/4 channel switch. My original 3500 has the red LED display and the channel master cm-7003 has a yellow/amber color.

And you're absolutely right, it's like we accept the faults/bugs for what they are and try and work around them. I found with the CM-7003 if I just leave the original channel scan order and not arrange the channels, it does not try and reboot to rearrange them. Oh well. I did return the original CM-7003 because I wanted to see how another unit performed. The replacement still did the rebooting so it's definitely inherent in the firmware for QAM tuning.

As far as quality.. The remote is terrible, small buttons you have to push hard (and yeah i've tried 2 of their remotes). I'm probably going to get a universal remote to learn the functions. The 3500STBII remote is the best of all of them, it's very responsive and I don't have to point it directly at the unit to work. And if I want to page ahead in the channel linup I can do that with the 3500STBII remote. I have to push the channel up button (or hold it) on the cm-7003. Kinda of annoying.

The one thing that is better on the cm-7003 is the odd re-tuning issue that I've had on the 3500STB. For example, I've tuned to a channel, begin watching, then within seconds it re-tuned that same channel! Screen goes blank, channel display/description comes up, image of channel is back up. It will also happen when the local cable co. injects local ads. That has been greatly minimized with the cm-7003. But all of this is talking about QAM cable tuning, not over the air. Since I am only using it to avoid paying for a set-top box.

So how's your 3500STBII running after the firmware I was able to send you? Is it back to normal?
post #4874 of 5012 Old 01-21-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The one thing that is better on the cm-7003 is the odd re-tuning issue that I've had on the 3500STB. For example, I've tuned to a channel, begin watching, then within seconds it re-tuned that same channel! Screen goes blank, channel display/description comes up, image of channel is back up. It will also happen when the local cable co. injects local ads. That has been greatly minimized with the cm-7003. But all of this is talking about QAM cable tuning, not over the air.
Every iView and HomeWorX version I've tried has this annoying bug, even OTA. What's especially bad is that not always, but often, when the box re-tunes a channel like this, it actually re-scans the channel, as if you had gone into the menus and had done a manual search! That means any subchannels you deleted or skipped come back, any you favorited lose their favorite flags, any you renamed revert to their original names, and any timers you set up for any of those subchannels disappear.

So it's encouraging to hear that the CM-7003 has dealt with this, at least somewhat. Hopefully the same fix will show up in iViews or other models at some point. That would be a major improvement IMO.
post #4875 of 5012 Old 01-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Every iView and HomeWorX version I've tried has this annoying bug, even OTA. What's especially bad is that not always, but often, when the box re-tunes a channel like this, it actually re-scans the channel, as if you had gone into the menus and had done a manual search! That means any subchannels you deleted or skipped come back, any you favorited lose their favorite flags, any you renamed revert to their original names, and any timers you set up for any of those subchannels disappear.

So it's encouraging to hear that the CM-7003 has dealt with this, at least somewhat. Hopefully the same fix will show up in iViews or other models at some point. That would be a major improvement IMO.
Thanks JHBrandt! That's exactly what it is doing!!! I tried my best to explain it. But it is definitely re-scanning, as if it said "oh wait, this channel is new, let me add this.." lol.

And you're right the cm-7003 is a bit better, I have had that re-scanning happen a lot less. It will only happen now if the cable company injects one of their local ads over the regular tv broadcast. But it doesn't re-scan the entire, re-enter the entire channel (about 5-6 tv channels per cable channel/frequency). It will only happen to the channel I'm watching, not the entire line up. So that's a bigger improvement. And as long as I do not re-arrange the channels, no rebooting either. So looks like I've been able to work through the bugs the 7003 has to make it "workable" for me.

But thanks for clearing up its behavior, I definitely learned more about this!

Oh I also wanted to tell you that I have been counting how long the boot-up sequence is. And yup, cm-7003 is at about 12 seconds. My older 3500STB is about 8-9 seconds. But at least I can tune the missing QAM channels now with the 7003.
post #4876 of 5012 Old 01-22-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Back with an update...
Thanks very much for your help guys, but...

I took iVIEW box #3 out of my system today and put my Samsung ATSC tuner back in operation. While sometimes the iVIEW #3 had adequate reception, it was very often unable to get a good signal on my PBS station.

I'm in a high rise condominium and the transmitters are blocked from direct view. In the last year, two new high rise apartment building have been built within three blocks which are in the direction of the transmitters. I think this is why box #2 no longer is able to get good reception on several channels.

Two TVs and iVIEW #2 use rabbit ears + UHF loop antennas. The Samsung (and iVIEW #3 ) uses a (discontinued, very directional) Silver Sensor antenna. Positioning of all of these antennas is quite critical.
post #4877 of 5012 Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, the Silver Sensor is moderately directional:

I wouldn't say it's "highly" directional, but it's decent for indoor use. BTW, the Silver Sensor may be discontinued, but I think the very similar Terk HDTVa is still available. The HDTVa includes rabbit ears for VHF.

Which model Samsung are you using? I used to use an old DT-260F that died several years ago - then I discovered it wasn't available anymore (except used on a site like eBay). Those were great!

When it died, I tried a CM-7001 (which I HATED) before finally settling on a HomeWorX (iView clone). I have had some trouble with the HomeWorX tuners, but I'm lucky enough to have a big outdoor antenna that mostly makes up for its weaknesses.
post #4878 of 5012 Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Well I'm going to have to take back everything I said about the cm-7003 and even update my posts over on the cm-7003 thread.

I went to turn the cm-7003 on today, and it would not stop rebooting. I unplugged it from the wall, waited, plugged it in.. Nope, that didn't fix it. I did a factory reset via the menu, nope that didn't fix it either. Every 3 minutes it continued to reboot, also locking out any ability to turn the unit off via the remote.

So that's that, I'm done with the 7003. This is my second unit and both units exhibited similar behavior after a couple days of being used. I'll just return this for a refund and use my original 3500STB. I will have lost two local channels, but oh well, at least it works.

iView's tech support has never emailed me back and I don't expect them to. Channel Master was pretty much useless with their tech support. I had asked for their original firmware but the excuses were to just do a "factory reset, it's the same thing". um no, it's not. I doubt they even have access to the firmware. Their solution was if the factory reset didn't work to just buy another unit. Great advice, lol.

Thanks to everyone for the help, especially you JHBrandt! I guess I'm lucky to have a 3500STB that doesn't reboot and is stable, other than missing some frequencies in the tuner (hence the two channels missing after the cable company re-arranged the QAM lineup). But I can't justify wasting money on a unit that continues to reboot and nothing I do can stop its behavior other than returning it.
post #4879 of 5012 Old 01-22-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Major bummer - I was pleased to learn their firmware finally addressed the channel rescan issue, but that constant rebooting is a show-stopper, at least for QAM.

In the past, I'd casually recommended a Samsung gx-sm530cf for QAM, but I just priced it and it's outrageously expensive: $399! For that price you could get a TiVo with lifetime. Or ten HomeWorXes! Good grief.
Quote:
I'm trying to remember what color was on the 35000STBII front display LED's.. you know I can't remember. I know that the serial number began with 1609, and it did not have a physical 3/4 channel switch. My original 3500 has the red LED display and the channel master cm-7003 has a yellow/amber color.
I tried to get the answer with an Internet search - but every pic of the 3500STBII I could find was turned off! So I couldn't tell the color. (I don't have a 3500STBII myself - I have a 3200STB without a display.)

I did notice that most of the clones with displays I found (Boost Waves, eMatic, ViewTV, and of course the CM-7003) had amber displays. One ("Vilso") had what looked like a white display, and one ("Koramzi") had a green display.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-23-2017 at 02:14 PM.
post #4880 of 5012 Old 01-23-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Which model Samsung are you using? I used to use an old DT-260F that died several years ago - then I discovered it wasn't available anymore (except used on a site like eBay). Those were great! ...
The DTB-H260F. Purchased early 2007. The first one was defective, but the replacement is going strong.
post #4881 of 5012 Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 21
USB Hub compatible?

Just curious -- has anybody ever tried a usb hub with these mstar boxes? For example - if a portable HD is used as your 'permanent' storage, but occasionally you wanted to access something (videos, photos, music) that was stored on a flash drive. If a hub was connected to the box - and your permanent storage and the occasional flash drive plugged into the hub - would the box see both? None? Was interested when thinking about using a hub to give AC power to a portable drive (I thought I read somewhere that using the box to power a portable drive through usb would increase box failure chances in the future). Perhaps I am in error in that assumption, however. Anyway - that got me thinking about multiple drives connected through a hub and how the box would handle it.
post #4882 of 5012 Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Major bummer - I was pleased to learn their firmware finally addressed the channel rescan issue, but that constant rebooting is a show-stopper, at least for QAM.

In the past, I'd casually recommended a Samsung gx-sm530cf for QAM, but I just priced it and it's outrageously expensive: $399! For that price you could get a TiVo with lifetime. Or ten HomeWorXes! Good grief.I tried to get the answer with an Internet search - but every pic of the 3500STBII I could find was turned off! So I couldn't tell the color. (I don't have a 3500STBII myself - I have a 3200STB without a display.)

I did notice that most of the clones with displays I found (Boost Waves, eMatic, ViewTV, and of course the CM-7003) had amber displays. One ("Vilso") had what looked like a white display, and one ("Koramzi") had a green display.
Both my pre-3/4 and with 3/4 boxes had/have red displays.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #4883 of 5012 Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Just curious -- has anybody ever tried a usb hub with these mstar boxes? For example - if a portable HD is used as your 'permanent' storage, but occasionally you wanted to access something (videos, photos, music) that was stored on a flash drive. If a hub was connected to the box - and your permanent storage and the occasional flash drive plugged into the hub - would the box see both?
I've tried a hub, and it does. With two storage devices connected, it actually prompts you to select a device when you go to the USB menu. It's a bit of a guessing game, though, because it just shows "USB1" and "USB2", with no clue which is which. You just have to try one and, if it's not the one you want, back out and try the other.

The hub I tried wasn't powered. I also tried a powered hub without much luck getting it to work, but perhaps the powered hub I chose wasn't compatible. If you try one, make sure you can return it or have another use for it in case you too have compatibility problems.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-26-2017 at 05:15 PM.
post #4884 of 5012 Old 01-24-2017, 11:53 AM

I updated my post over on the CECB forum. I did receive a reply from Channel Master (finally) and their fix was to delete any and all channels until the rebooting stopped. lol. So basically delete all channels, and not have a tuner that works at all! Oh isn't that smart! I nearly died laughing when I read this.

Definitely returning for a refund! And yeah it's a shame, but how funny this is their fix? Good luck with that Channel Master.
post #4885 of 5012 Old 01-24-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could try a HomeWorX I guess; their QAM support is as good (i.e., bad) as any (i.e., it's in the menu but if it doesn't work, all you can do is send it back).

Since you use composite, you could try their HW-180STB. (Doesn't have component but you aren't using that anyway.) Or the HW-150PVR, which is more like the iView 3500STBII with component video and coaxial digital audio outputs. Hopefully their composite brightness level is better than the 3500STBII was.

If the HomeWorX, um, worx the only problem you'd have is the remote, which isn't as good as the iView remote. But you could cross-flash iView firmware onto the HW, then you could use a 3500STBII remote.
post #4886 of 5012 Old 01-26-2017, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation

Warning: before buying the product described in this post, please read this other post first: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post51628929

I wanted to let the iView community know about an interesting gadget I just bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNCVFL8. It's an HDD dock with both USB and WiFi access.

What makes it interesting for iView (or HomeWorX, etc.) users is that it switches WiFi access off/on when power is applied to/removed from the USB port. That means you can connect your iView to its USB port, and your iView will have exclusive access to the HDD when it's on (and say, recording) - but when it's off, anyone can access recordings on the HDD via WiFi. (There are even iOS and Android apps to stream videos from the HDD, but I haven't tried them yet so I don't know if they'll work with iView recordings.)

Now this doesn't turn an iView into a full-blown "whole-home" DVR - but the total cost of an iView, this dock, and a bare HDD is under $150, and this is an easy way to access your iView's recordings wirelessly for that little money.

I'm sure there are other access solutions that others have discovered. Please feel free to share if you've found one!

Edit: Although the user manual talks about both iOS and Android apps, I was only able to find the iOS app (MyAirDisk Pro). The Android version of the app doesn't seem to exist. (There are several with similar names, but they don't work with this dock.) Still, the iOS app does work, for the most part. I had a couple of apparent crashes when I tried to make a selection and my iPad just went back to its desktop, and I had to restart the app. Also, the app didn't support rotating the iPad to landscape mode, which was annoying. But it plays videos quite smoothly.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-20-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Add warning & link to details
post #4887 of 5012 Old 01-26-2017, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Nifty! When you say wifi is active when the box is 'off' - do you mean simply when the box is not accessing the hard drive? I mean - can the box be in use simply for watching live television ... and as long as you are not recording or accessing the drive you could utilize the WiFi features? If not - is stand-by mode acceptable for being 'off'?
post #4888 of 5012 Old 01-27-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Standby is considered "off," so you don't have to unplug anything to use WiFi access. But the WiFi is switched off by power to the USB port, so the WiFi goes off when the iView comes on, even if you're not recording or playing a recording.

So the best way to use it is probably to keep the iView in standby as much as possible, except or course when recording or setting recordings up. When the iView is in standby, different folks in the home could watch different recordings through PCs, or hopefully tablets, smart phones, or even DLNA-capable TVs. (I'm anxious to test all this, but I just got the thing yesterday.) But whenever you're using your iView, you lose wireless access and can only watch recordings through the iView and the TV it's connected to. So it's not as smart as I'd like.

It'd be great if someone could hack the firmware to only power up the USB port when necessary to record, time-shift, or play a video. Then you could at least use the iView as a tuner without losing wireless access. That would be especially handy if your TV is a monitor with no tuner, or an old TV with only an analog tuner. (Of course, I guess you can do that by simply unplugging the USB cable, but for me it's too easy to forget to plug it back in before the next scheduled recording.)
post #4889 of 5012 Old 02-02-2017, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

(Apologies for an OT post, but this is a follow-up to posts made in this thread last year.)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC581 View Post
(Also...please go to FCC website search proposal 16-42 or Unlock The Box to make public comment on the proposal to allow 3rd party navigation and get rid of your cable box lease!)
Here's the link: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/hotdocket/listIt's the top one listed, with over 60 thousand comments so far.
Unfortunately the election results have probably ended our chance of seeing this rule adopted. House Republicans on the Energy and Commerce Committee sent a letter to President Trump's pick for FCC chair, asking him to close proceedings on the set-top box rule proposed last year, which would have required cable companies to provide access to their content on third-party set-top boxes and thus freed customers from having to rent their cable company’s proprietary box. The letter claimed the proposed rule had “cast a shadow over innovation and investment in traditional video programming delivery.”

So (back on topic) it doesn't look like QAM support on iViews (or any of the other MStar boxes) will be improving anytime soon.
post #4890 of 5012 Old 02-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
proprietary and exclusive are just other words for monopoly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders