iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #4921 of 4948 Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by felf View Post
Here is iView's response to my pointing out that his firmware attachment says STB1, despite the fact I clearly have (and stated so ) an STB11:

"I’m sending this firmware again. This is for the 3500STBII and not for 3500STBI. This is for the serial number starting with 14 and has the switch on the back.

Best Regards,

iView Support"
What is "sending again" - the same as yesterday or a different one? Since he acknowledges it is for an STB11, that 1403 is my serial number, that the 3/4 switch is my model, the file has the same name and is the same size (3..10mb) as yesterday's I'll assume it is the same one and not reflash the box.

The fly in the ointment - the System/Info show Model 3500STB1, SW 20140522 V1, HW ATSC 7816XD-02-Z00

Weird!

I have the black romote on the left.

I have made some recordings with with an HDD I alreasy had (but use for BU's so don't want to use full time with the iView) and a flash drive and all went well, including a couple of scheduled recordings (fingers crossed for the "future").

Thanks for the suggestions on the HDDs. Is there any chance a usb powered HDD would shorten the life span of the iView faster than an externally powered one?
A wee bit off-topic and I'm afraid to refer to someone else's particular product, but there are various bits of free software around the web which will 'hash' a file's contents and display hash values. By simply examining the hash of a file, you can verify if the contents are indeed identical. In fact, I've done exactly that with the varied and confusing iView firmware files!

The other use for a feature like that is to verify that a download is good and proper IF the provider tells you what the hash value is supposed to be (like Windows download files).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 4948 Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have a few questions on this unit. I purchased and doesn't seem to be working correctly or I don't know how to use it. First it's in my basement connected to my projector. The only purpose for it for me is to get the local broadcast channels live to my projector. I have a coax line which when I hook up to a tv can scan for local channels and it finds them. When I connect the coax directly to this box I can't find anything in the scan for some reason. So I decided to try an antenna, which then doesn't find all of the channels that I'm looking for (no abc or NBC) and when it finds the others because of being in the basmemt has poor signal. Of course I'm not sure why I'd need an antenna at all when the signal is clearly going through my coax. Why isn't my box picking it up without the antenna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4923 of 4948 Old 02-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
Just speaking from personal experience, a USB powered HDD will put a (extra) load on the internal PS of the 3500. If the PS rating is "marginal", then this could cause overheating and possibly failure. I suspect that my initial use of a USB powered HDD may have caused my 3500's premature failure.
I'm using a 2.5" Intel 80GB SSD from 2011. Will this use less stress on the USB p/s because of no moving disc to spin up?

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

post #4924 of 4948 Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 AM
QAM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
I'm using a 2.5" Intel 80GB SSD from 2011. Will this use less stress on the USB p/s because of no moving disc to spin up?
Nice! this would have been my dream setup, but couldn't justify the extra cost of the SSD. Generally speaking, SSDs consume less power than their HDD counterparts. So, without seeing the actual specs, this looks like a preferred configuration. Bravo.

So, depending on whether the USB power is always on, the SSD would be always on, or not. I don't think the SSD longevity would be affected one way or the other, unlike a mechanical drive. Just thinking out loud here.

Last edited by QAM; 02-10-2017 at 10:18 AM.
post #4925 of 4948 Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM
QAM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc225 View Post
I have a few questions on this unit. I purchased and doesn't seem to be working correctly or I don't know how to use it. First it's in my basement connected to my projector. The only purpose for it for me is to get the local broadcast channels live to my projector. I have a coax line which when I hook up to a tv can scan for local channels and it finds them. When I connect the coax directly to this box I can't find anything in the scan for some reason. So I decided to try an antenna, which then doesn't find all of the channels that I'm looking for (no abc or NBC) and when it finds the others because of being in the basmemt has poor signal. Of course I'm not sure why I'd need an antenna at all when the signal is clearly going through my coax. Why isn't my box picking it up without the antenna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, let me try and decipher your problem. First of all, when you say "coax" I assume you mean your "cable" connection. So the TV can find channels on the "cable" connection but the box can't. But, when you plug an "antenna" into the box you see channels.

Before we can go any further, we need to know the model #, firmware version, and whether what I said above really describes your situation. There are known issues of the iView failing to scan for cable channels (specifically QAM channels). Please provide more detailed info, and we may be able to steer you to a solution.
post #4926 of 4948 Old 02-10-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
What is "sending again" - the same as yesterday or a different one? Since he acknowledges it is for an STB11, that 1403 is my serial number, that the 3/4 switch is my model, the file has the same name and is the same size (3..10mb) as yesterday's I'll assume it is the same one and not reflash the box.

The fly in the ointment - the System/Info show Model 3500STB1, SW 20140522 V1, HW ATSC 7816XD-02-Z00
I agree with QAM - this is just a minor bug in the V1 firmware. You have the correct firmware for your box.

There's also a V2a and a V3 - but the only differences are in how they tune cable channels. OTA should work identically with all three.
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions on the HDDs. Is there any chance a usb powered HDD would shorten the life span of the iView faster than an externally powered one?
There's definitely a chance. Iview's power supply is internal (except for the 3200STB model) and although I don't know its rating, it's probably close to the very similar HomeWorX, which is rated at no more than 800mA through the USB port.

That works out to 4 watts, which is enough for a small 2.5" HDD, and plenty for a SSD, but if you have/get anything more demanding, you'd be better off if the HDD has its own power supply.

There might be a small power surge as a USB-powered HDD spins up. Shouldn't be a problem unless you turn your iView on and off frequently.
post #4927 of 4948 Old 02-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfQuill View Post
Aw gee, Mr. Trivial, right you are, yet you left us (well, me) in suspense as to what these acronyms really are.
At one point I thought I might know some of them but one forgets this flood of acronyms. Fear not, the answer is left as an exercise to the reader, and can be found, amongst other places on the great unwashed internet, at good ol' Wikipedia. Mistakes can crop up anywhere but those articles look so erudite they MUST be true ;-).
Looks can be very deceiving, since some Wikipedia entries on AV topics are astoundingly incorrect.

Without resort to Google, I can say that "S-Video" SHOULD mean "Separated Video" (but I don't know what it actually means), since it is SEPARATE luminence (black&white) and chrominance (color) video signals as opposed to "composite" which combines the two, leading to all sorts of intermodulation smearing of the picture and other nastiness. It actually was first developed by Atari back in the late 70s to allow a better picture for TVs used with video games. When SUPER-VHS came about (a 3/4 wrapping of VHS 1/2 inch video tape around the head the same as Sony Betamax, resulting in much better picture), they DID tend to include a S-Video output to better show off the better picture, and even the owners manual for my old CRT TV with a S-Video connection calls it a "Super-VHS" connection.

S-Video does have a MUCH better picture, as I can attest since I actually use my old CRT TV preferentially for 480i digital broadcasts, it's better than a flat-panel.

--
max
post #4928 of 4948 Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 1199
Yup seperate, but so many mistakenly think it is super.

I've never heard of Atari using it in the 70s though. Nor am I aware of any TVs having the jack for it then either. Have any links?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video
"1987"

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-10-2017 at 07:47 PM.
post #4929 of 4948 Old 02-10-2017, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Back in '79, Atari started selling a 6502-based home computer, similar to the Apple II (and the later Commodore 64), called the Atari 800. I own two! The 800 outputs standard NTSC video via a channel 2/3 (not 3/4) modulator (that's what they used back in '79) and a DIN-5 monitor jack (same kind of jack as the keyboard jack on pre-PS/2 IBM PCs). The 5 pins of that monitor jack are:

• Ground
  • Audio (mono)
  • Composite video
  • Chroma
  • Luminance

Although S-video didn't exist at the time, those last two can be easily wired to an S-video cable for connection to a TV with an S-video jack. I've done this. It works perfectly and looks much better than the composite or RF outputs.

Ironically, Atari never sold a monitor for use with its separated video outputs. Until S-video came along, a lot of us used Commodore monitors intended for the 64, which did have separated video inputs (via standard RCA jacks). Conversely to the above, RCA plugs for those inputs can also be wired to an S-video cable to produce an inexpensive S-video monitor. Too bad they didn't have stereo.
post #4930 of 4948 Old 02-12-2017, 03:09 AM

As stated previously, I have a Samsung UN40H5003 and a STB3500II.

Question, for OTA, which has the better tuner power, the Samsung or the STB3500II?

I can't seem to tell any difference - Any opinions?

Nick

post #4931 of 4948 Old 02-12-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Overall, I'd bet on the Samsung - but as always, it depends on your environment.

There are many ways to compare tuners, such as sensitivity (which depends on the tuner's noise factor), susceptibility to overload, and susceptibility to multipath interference. It's possible a tuner may beat another in one area but lose to it in another area.

In your case, there apparently isn't any difference worth worrying about.
post #4932 of 4948 Old 02-12-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's only a hand full of tuner chips being made by various companies within one given, say, year. They do get slightly better year after year and there are occasionally one or two years within a decade where they actually make a real-world-use notable difference, but in the end all made, say, in 2016 or so are probably pretty close to each other, if not literally the exact same chip.

So in answering a question like this I usually go with whichever is newer, and if there is only a one or two year difference there is often no difference at all.
JHBrandt likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #4933 of 4948 Old 02-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Thanks. That's what I kind of thought of but wasn't sure.

My main reason for getting the 3500STBII was because of the good things read here and the remote sealed the deal.

Nick

post #4934 of 4948 Old 02-12-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tuners may not differ all that much in any given year but antennas (and precisely how you aim them) can make huge differences.

On a whim a bought one of the cheapest I could find when it went on sale for $5 with free shipping from Monoprice and although I haven't tested it under rigorous conditions which help reduce the possibility I am imagining things, my perception is that it works quite well, at least under my reception needs.

I assumed it was internally a "bowtie" configuration when I placed the order. It looks like a standard mailing envelope in shape, but after examining its inner construction using an x-ray machine. . .um. ..well...actually I just put a bright flashlight behind it, I can report that the internal wire pattern is quite a bit more complex than I was expecting.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #4935 of 4948 Old 02-13-2017, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No Digital Channels Found

Our home cable company recently switched all channels to digital from analog and instead of paying them monthly for the box, I did some research and decided to purchase the iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box. I took the cable input out from the back of the TV and placed it into the back of the iView and then connected the iView to the TV using HDMI, then I started the search. It doesn't find any channels. I could use some help figuring it out.

Thanks so much in advance!
post #4936 of 4948 Old 02-13-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is your cable company?

Does your TV have a digital tuner? If you hook the cable directly to the TV with no box in between, does the TV find any channels?

Double-check the obvious: Make sure the iView's "Signal Type" is set to "Cable" in the menu.
post #4937 of 4948 Old 02-13-2017, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
What is your cable company?

Does your TV have a digital tuner? If you hook the cable directly to the TV with no box in between, does the TV find any channels?

Double-check the obvious: Make sure the iView's "Signal Type" is set to "Cable" in the menu.
If your (I assume digital) TV can't find any channels either, then your cable company (rotten sadsacks that they are) are encrypting/scrambling ALL QAM channels, thus forcing you to rent their boxes to get any reception at all.

The only way to receive encrypted QAM channels on an independent box/TV/whatever is if it supports 'cablecard', then you have the privilege of renting THAT from the cable company, I've seen the rental fee for that as much as one of their boxes.
And there are precious few devices (certainly not the iView) that actually support cablecard (I think TiVo is one of those very few).
post #4938 of 4948 Old 02-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Back in '79, Atari started selling a 6502-based home computer, similar to the Apple II (and the later Commodore 64), called the Atari 800. I own two! The 800 outputs standard NTSC video via a channel 2/3 (not 3/4) modulator (that's what they used back in '79) and a DIN-5 monitor jack (same kind of jack as the keyboard jack on pre-PS/2 IBM PCs). The 5 pins of that monitor jack are:

• Ground
  • Audio (mono)
  • Composite video
  • Chroma
  • Luminance

Although S-video didn't exist at the time, those last two can be easily wired to an S-video cable for connection to a TV with an S-video jack. I've done this. It works perfectly and looks much better than the composite or RF outputs.

Ironically, Atari never sold a monitor for use with its separated video outputs. Until S-video came along, a lot of us used Commodore monitors intended for the 64, which did have separated video inputs (via standard RCA jacks). Conversely to the above, RCA plugs for those inputs can also be wired to an S-video cable to produce an inexpensive S-video monitor. Too bad they didn't have stereo.
Ah yes, this rings a bell, since I too have an Atari 800, and the monitor cable for it (though I've never used the cable in any way). I do seem to remember the video game industry at that time was looking to get a better picture than possible with RF outputs (after all, who wants a smeared-up version of Pac-Man).

At some point in time, probably around the introduction of Super-VHS/DVDs, a few TVs were made with S-Video connectors (my old CRT is from 1990). And some video output devices had them, I think many of the DVD/VHS combo players had them, but only for DVD output. Back during the transition to digital TV, I specifically bought the ChannelMaster CECB just for the S-Video output, which was about 8 (?) years ago.

--
max
post #4939 of 4948 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi. Just got my 3500STBII started up. It works great except for one thing that I thought was fixed.
CC does not work during playback.
I thought it was fixed.
SW version is 20160815V5.0
Do I need an upgrade?

Thanks!
post #4940 of 4948 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

CCs on that firmware version should work. I tested that version and they worked for me. However, they only worked in the PVR submenu, not in the Movies submenu.

Others have reported that their recordings didn't always work with that version. There is an upgrade, which fixed the recordings for them. It's labeled "1604" on the iView firmware page at http://www.iviewus.com/firmware3500STBII/. But I had trouble with CCs when I tried the 1604 version. Pressing the CC button during playback made my box lock up and reboot!

So only try it as a last resort. If you do try it but want to revert back, the version on your iView now is the one labeled "1511" on their firmware page.

Note that in all cases, the only file you need for a firmware upgrade is the one named "usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin." You can ignore everything else in the downloaded archives. Just put that file on a FAT32-formatted USB stick, plug it into the iView, and select the upgrade option.
post #4941 of 4948 Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

I installed the version 20160923v5.0.
It acts the same as the one that it shipped with, above.
CC causes the box to reboot.
Bummer.
post #4942 of 4948 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetfoot View Post
Bummer.
It's working now. Not sure why. Will check in later after dinner.
post #4943 of 4948 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bummer.
Yes; that's what happened to me.
Quote:
It's working now. Not sure why. Will check in later after dinner.
Interesting! Maybe the reboot reset something, and now CC works again?

Be sure to keep us posted as to whether you have any more problems or it keeps working.
post #4944 of 4948 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

I scheduled a program to record while away for dinner. Turned off unit. Came back. Unit is off. Turned on unit. Scheduled program recorded and with subtitles! Awesome. What's awesome to me also is that the unit turns off an external hard drive plugged into it. I measured the power consumption when the unit is off (and yet still ready to wake up to record a program): 1 watt! Awesome.

What's also awesome is the electronic program guide and a clock that actually works - I'm coming from an orphaned Sony DVR, so it doesn't take that much to please. That thing would consume 30 watts standing by!
post #4945 of 4948 Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

Well, CC is freezing things again. Oh, well. I'll keep trying. Maybe there's a secret.
post #4946 of 4948 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Well, it started working again. I have no idea why.
post #4947 of 4948 Old Today, 12:46 AM

I think I might have figured it out.

In TV viewing mode, make sure CC is 'off'.
When viewing a recording, CC should work.

I'll keep trying it tomorrow and see if it's consistent.
Staying up too late messing with this.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #4948 of 4948 Old Today, 09:45 PM

Seems to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders