iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 127Likes

post #4951 of 5123 Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 AM
QAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Don't ask me why, but this is how time is sent in PSIP:So it sounds like your "bad channel" is sending PSIP with a system_time of 0.

I just recently bought an ATSC RF modulator - first affordable (well, under $300) one on the market - and it has exactly the same quirk: when you first plug it in, it sets its internal clock to zero (i.e., midnight on Jan. 6, 1980) and starts counting time from there. (And its menu provides no way to set the time correctly!) It's usable, but I'm hoping for a firmware update to fix this among other quirks.
I think you nailed it. Did a check this morning and the time/date info of the "bad" channel is now correct. I'll have to check a few more times over the next few days to go back to regular scheduling. This "glitch" on the part of the station makes a good case for having an internal clock in the DVR, instead of relying on the stations to keep time. Oh well, you get what you pay for, I guess. Live and learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 5123 Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using my 3500STB II for years now with my cable. I'm on v1 firmware since I'm using it for clear QAM channels only. The only problem I have is that HD channels through the iView are really unreliable. A lot of times they have so many artifacts that they are unwatchable. Then on some days they are very clear. When it's messing up on the iView and I tune the same channel on my TV (no cable box) and the HD channel is clear and perfect.

It's frustrating because it's forcing me to record in SD if it's something I really want to see. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks
post #4953 of 5123 Old 03-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCnDaHouse View Post
I've been using my 3500STB II for years now with my cable. I'm on v1 firmware since I'm using it for clear QAM channels only. The only problem I have is that HD channels through the iView are really unreliable. A lot of times they have so many artifacts that they are unwatchable. Then on some days they are very clear. When it's messing up on the iView and I tune the same channel on my TV (no cable box) and the HD channel is clear and perfect.

It's frustrating because it's forcing me to record in SD if it's something I really want to see. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks
Just a thought, what are you recording to, a physical hard drive or a USB stick? If USB, the memory may not be quite fast enough to write the higher data rate of HD.

Just to be sure, is the picture crappy even when you are viewing it live or just on playback?

post #4954 of 5123 Old 03-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfQuill View Post
Just a thought, what are you recording to, a physical hard drive or a USB stick? If USB, the memory may not be quite fast enough to write the higher data rate of HD.

Just to be sure, is the picture crappy even when you are viewing it live or just on playback?
I'm using a 1tb Seagate external HD. Yes it's crappy when viewing it LIVE as well. So it's not the storage device.

Thanks

Last edited by MCnDaHouse; 03-14-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: clarity
post #4955 of 5123 Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Other than an SSD, what specs are important or better for an HDD?

SATA I II III?

Format to NTFS at 64K (larger is better)

Cache of 16MB (larger is better) - optimal?

4200RPM (slower is better) - is 7200RPM ok?

Drive must be no more than x% full?

Comments? Thanks!

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #4956 of 5123 Old 03-15-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 858
The HDD's SATA version won't matter as long as it's compatible with your dock or enclosure. Even SATA I is plenty fast for the USB 2.0 connection used by the iView.

Same goes for RPM. A larger cache is probably better, though.

It would seem to make sense to format with the NTFS cluster size at 64K, since we're talking about pretty big files. I haven't been able to tell if it really helps, though.

How full the drive is shouldn't matter - although for an SSD, it apparently does. On a spinning-platter drive, if you frequently delete files then record more, the drive can get fragmented and that can slow things down, especially if it's really full (over 80%). If that happens I suppose you could hook it to a PC and run a defrag program on it.
ncsercs and ProfQuill like this.
post #4957 of 5123 Old 03-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The HDD's SATA version won't matter as long as it's compatible with your dock or enclosure. Even SATA I is plenty fast for the USB 2.0 connection used by the iView.

Same goes for RPM. A larger cache is probably better, though.

It would seem to make sense to format with the NTFS cluster size at 64K, since we're talking about pretty big files. I haven't been able to tell if it really helps, though.

How full the drive is shouldn't matter - although for an SSD, it apparently does. On a spinning-platter drive, if you frequently delete files then record more, the drive can get fragmented and that can slow things down, especially if it's really full (over 80%). If that happens I suppose you could hook it to a PC and run a defrag program on it.
For an SSD, fragmentation doesn't matter, it is not recommended running defrag programs on them, it won't make any performance difference and 'wears' it out with all the writing. Sort of like teaching a pig to whistle, it won't work and only annoys the pig ;-). JH, I know you referenced only hard drives, just thought I'd add some elaboration (so folks don't go out and 'defrag' their SSDs).

As SSDs get used and filled up, even if files are removed, they can slow down, one solution is to plug it into a PC and if the OS is anywhere near recent, do an 'optimize' on it which does something called a 'trim' operation. VERY fast and cleans things up. Later Windows won't even let you defrag an SSD although 3rd party programs might.

Still, I would think with the speeds of SSD, it wouldn't be very relevant to the iView over a USB connection.

I've been using an old donated external 500 Mb HD, don't really know its specs, but no indication of a performance issue (well, until I filled it up and had to force-watch several programs ;-)).

Tell ya one thing though, I sure wish the iView had an offline operation that would convert those video files to MP4s, they are SO much smaller. Not fast enough to do it live, that takes a healthy CPU. One could do that on a PC though since iView does understand MP4s, I've played them back with no problem. But that's a fair bit of work unless you could write some script to handle the details or had a good converter program that would.
ncsercs and JHBrandt like this.
post #4958 of 5123 Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Regarding the RPM, a 5400 RPM HDD is more ideal for a DVR simply because it will produce less heat (and probably use less power). Since the iView only supports external drives, the heat output doesn't matter much, but using a higher RPM certainly won't make things any better, as with SATA III. The lower power requirements are better when you have to draw from a single USB port, though.
ncsercs, JHBrandt and ProfQuill like this.
post #4959 of 5123 Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 PM

I've programmed the Blue POWER and VOL buttons on the remote to control my TV but.....

How can I program this sequence to perform an approx 30 sec skip with 1 Blue button?

">>", ">>", ">>", ">>", ">>", ">||"

Thanks!

Nick

post #4960 of 5123 Old 03-18-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can't do it with the iView remote, but there are universal remotes that will let you program a "macro" (a sequence of codes transmitted by pressing a single button). Offhand, I'd suggest a Sony RM-VLZ620, but I know there are other remotes that will also work.

The Sony is a learning remote; you'd have to teach it the iView buttons first, then program the macro to an unused button.
ncsercs likes this.
post #4961 of 5123 Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
I wanted to let the iView community know about an interesting gadget I just bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNCVFL8. It's an HDD dock with both USB and WiFi access.

What makes it interesting for iView (or HomeWorX, etc.) users is that it switches WiFi access off/on when power is applied to/removed from the USB port. That means you can connect your iView to its USB port, and your iView will have exclusive access to the HDD when it's on (and say, recording) - but when it's off, anyone can access recordings on the HDD via WiFi. (There are even iOS and Android apps to stream videos from the HDD, but I haven't tried them yet so I don't know if they'll work with iView recordings.)

Now this doesn't turn an iView into a full-blown "whole-home" DVR - but the total cost of an iView, this dock, and a bare HDD is under $150, and this is an easy way to access your iView's recordings wirelessly for that little money.
Depressing discovery about the CableMatters HDD dock. While it works with my older (7816-based) FrankenIview (an old HomeWorX cross-flashed with iView firmware), it doesn't work with my newer (7802-based) iView 3200!

I wanted to switch to my 7802 box because the old 7816 box won't correctly record (and therefore won't time-shift) the signal from the ATSC modulator I bought. The 7802 box records and time-shifts the modulator fine, but I have to use a different HDD, otherwise I lose network access to the HDD dock.

I've identified my iViews by their chips for convenience, but I don't think the chip is relevant. The problem is, with the (newer) 3200, the HDD dock shuts down network access as soon as you plug in the USB cable! So there's something different about the USB ports between the two boxes.

It's possible the USB hub I'm using with the older box is what makes that one work. But as my luck would have it, I glued that hub inside the case of the box, so I can't just move it to the newer one - and naturally, I can't find another hub identical to that one anymore.

I did try three other USB hub models with the 3200, but none fixed the problem. I can plug the HDD dock into any of the hubs without it disconnecting, but it disconnects as soon as I then plug the hub into the 3200 - even if the 3200's power cord is unplugged! How does it know?
post #4962 of 5123 Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM
QAM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Depressing discovery about the CableMatters HDD dock. While it works with my older (7816-based) FrankenIview (an old HomeWorX cross-flashed with iView firmware), it doesn't work with my newer (7802-based) iView 3200!

yada, yada, yada....

I did try three other USB hub models with the 3200, but none fixed the problem. I can plug the HDD dock into any of the hubs without it disconnecting, but it disconnects as soon as I then plug the hub into the 3200 - even if the 3200's power cord is unplugged! How does it know?
hmmmm... lots of variables to deal with. Different USB hubs, different HDD, different iView... LOL

The one thing that stands out to me after reading about the HDD Dock on Amazon is that it is USB3 connectivity. Did someone ever report difficulties connecting a USB3 HDD to the 3200? I assume you are using the USB3 cable that came with the dock. I would try a USB2 cable just for the heck of it. Couldn't hurt.

Even though the old USB hub is glued into the 3500, can't you use a USB extension cable to use it with the 3200, just for test purposes? Just a thought. Maybe try the old HDD, for test purposes only, to eliminate all the variables. If all else fails, punt.
post #4963 of 5123 Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've had no problems using USB3 HDDs with my 3200. The only problem seems to be getting that one dock to realize when the USB port is powered down.

I would do the test you suggest, but I already moved the dock and 3500 (actually a cross-flashed HW, not a "true" 3500) to another room, so it's more trouble than it's worth at this point. It'd probably be easier to buy another hub just like it. I couldn't find one at Fry's yesterday, but I found one at Amazon that's nearly identical: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002FFT8Z6.

An easier test would be to take the cover off and connect the HW directly to the dock, bypassing the glued-in hub. If I had the same problem as with the 3200, then I'd know that particular hub is what lets it work. Otherwise, I'd know it's due to a difference between the HW and the 3200.

I may give that a try next weekend. For now I just wanted to let everyone know that the dock I suggested doesn't always work as I originally described, before someone buys one and can't get it working.

In any case, I'd still like to know how the dock can tell when I plug it into the 3200, even through a hub and even when the 3200 isn't even plugged into its wall-wart!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.
post #4964 of 5123 Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I couldn't find one at Fry's yesterday, but I found one at Amazon that's nearly identical: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002FFT8Z6.
I just ordered one, but just for kicks and giggles I almost ordered this little dude.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00274NRRA...ing=UTF8&psc=1
post #4965 of 5123 Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post
I just ordered one, but just for kicks and giggles I almost ordered this little dude.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00274NRRA...ing=UTF8&psc=1
2-ish bucks total for a cute USB hub? I almost clicked thru too, but the reviews are about evenly split between great and POS. Still....
post #4966 of 5123 Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM

I have the iView-3500STBII and out of all the $40 units, I think overall it's the best box, best remote, best firmware.

Thinking of getting another unit.

Which $40 units are comparable or 'next best'? Another iView, eMatic, HomeworkX, other? Model number and why?

Opinions? Thanks!

Nick

post #4967 of 5123 Old 03-22-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HomeWorX seems to have the fewest bugs. The HW-150 is comparable to the iView 3500, and the HW-180 is comparable to the iView 3200. But the remotes all suck compared to the 3500's remote.

eMatic went through a phase with bad firmware like iView did, but the newest ones are reportedly OK. Model number is AT103B. Ematic doesn't do firmware updates though, so if you get one make sure you can return it in case you get one of the buggy ones.

If you get an iView 3200, you can use the 3500's remote with it; you don't have to use the sucky 3200 remote. (That's not true of the HW-150 and HW-180 though - each of those needs its own remote!)
ncsercs likes this.
post #4968 of 5123 Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
HomeWorX seems to have the fewest bugs. The HW-150 is comparable to the iView 3500, and the HW-180 is comparable to the iView 3200. But the remotes all suck compared to the 3500's remote
What's your opinion of HW-150 versus either iView unit? And what specifically, in your opinion, makes the remotes suck?

Last edited by mdbratch; 03-23-2017 at 11:12 AM.
post #4969 of 5123 Old 03-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
I have the iView-3500STBII and out of all the $40 units, I think overall it's the best box, best remote, best firmware.

Which $40 units are comparable or 'next best'? Another iView, eMatic, HomeworkX, other? Model number and why?

Opinions? Thanks!
I just bought an Ematic AT103B last weekend from Walmart for $31. It had firmware dated Nov 2016. I think it has a reasonable remote control layout. The performance seems great so far. I set up a few timed recordings and it would properly wake up from off and record them and go back to off. The video quality has been excellent. The only issue I've had from a bug standpoint was entering digits to overwrite a start or stop time to record a show. Sometimes I'd press a 3 and it would just keep trying to give me a 1. I never figured out why, but worked around it by always starting at the first digit, even if it's not changing and even if it's 0 and entering all of the time digits. That seems to work.

However, I am in the process of replacing this unit with a Homeworx HW-150 (after reading positive things about that unit on this forum) only because the AT103B remote conflicts with my Vizio sound bar remote. The mute on the sound bar is the same as the Play on the AT103B, and the input select on the sound bar is the same as fast forward on the AT103B. The HW-150 should arrive tomorrow and I'll take it for a spin. If it weren't for this, the AT103B would be a definite keeper. I'm really sad to give it up because it otherwise works so well.

If you don't have a Vizio sound bar, I'd definitely endorse the AT103B to at least try out. If you get it from Walmart, it's easy to return if it doesn't work out (and if it doesn't have at least Nov 2016 firmware since, as JHBrandt points out, Ematic isn't forthcoming with firmware updates).
post #4970 of 5123 Old 03-23-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbratch View Post
What's your opinion of HW-150 versus either iView unit? And what specifically, in your opinion, makes the remotes suck?
The HW-150 is a lot like the iView 3500. Main differences are, it's lacking a few frills, such as the front-panel display. But it seems well-built, and it has a hard front-panel power switch that physically disconnects power. That's sometimes useful.

Homeworx does offer firmware upgrades, but only by email. You have to send them a pic of your serial number so they can tell which firmware version was written for your specific box. Over the years, Homeworx firmware seems to have had the fewest bugs, but like the box itself, it lacks a few frills, such as setting transparency of the menus.

As for its remote, judge for yourself:
It's actually bigger than the small remotes used by the eMatic, HW-180, and iView 3200, but it's very hard to read, especially the block of 12 buttons at the bottom, which have grey labels on a black background. There's almost no color, and the layout isn't very logical: Record is above the arrow keys, FF/Rew are on a curved rocker below and to the right, and play, pause, and stop are in that hard-to-read block of 12 buttons. I actually prefer the HW-180 remote (looks like the eMatic one with a slightly different layout), even though it's smaller.

Luckily, I understand you'll be using a Harmony, so you probably won't care much about the Homeworx remote.
ncsercs likes this.
post #4971 of 5123 Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
As for its remote, judge for yourself...
Luckily, I understand you'll be using a Harmony, so you probably won't care much about the Homeworx remote
Ugh. The arrangement of the "transport" buttons are particularly weird. Actually, outright bizarre. Glad I'll be using the harmony!

Last edited by mdbratch; 03-23-2017 at 06:43 PM.
post #4972 of 5123 Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Not to mention the button that changes a recording from the preview window to full screen being labeled as 'Hold'. :-)

But once you get used to it and just remember it as bottom-most right, you don't think of it much after that.
post #4973 of 5123 Old 03-24-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The button to go to full-screen doesn't make much more sense on the iView. It's the "Schedule" button (equivalent to "Timer" on the HW remote). I have no idea why neither box picked a more obvious button, like "OK." At any rate, I just remember it as the green button
post #4974 of 5123 Old 03-25-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Not to mention the button that changes a recording from the preview window to full screen being labeled as 'Hold'. :-)
That is odd. The AT103B is the same. I don't know any function that the Hold button performs that actually means "hold".

On the odd UI topic, both the AT103B and HW-150PVR use 1, 2, and 3 for add, edit, and delete. On the USB drive screen, it uses EPG to delete, TIMER to rename. Pretty random. Thankfully, it has the legend right on screen for the button meanings.
post #4975 of 5123 Old 03-28-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post

Opinions? Thanks!
Just ordered a ViewTV AT-163 that was a Lightning Deal on Amazon for $23.99 w/free ship (normally $29.99).

Very similar to the iView. The price and the remote sealed the deal.

Nick

post #4976 of 5123 Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great! Let us know what you find:

• Menu/System/Information (HW version, SW version, etc.)
  • Any special features (games a la eMatic, menu transparency a la iView, etc.)
  • Any stupidly disabled features, such as time-shifting on the RCA DTA880 boxes
  • And, of course, any bugs
ncsercs likes this.
post #4977 of 5123 Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi everyone,
I first got the iview3500 back in 2013, when I went by johngbm4el. the box eventually could be only be controlled by pointing a remote 2" inches away from the box, whether it was iview's or a harmony. I am now in the market for a new box. I see a 4 star amazon rating for the "Edal Digital ATSC HD TV Receiver Converter Tuner Box." There is no edal website.
Amazon said they tested and they back the product. any thoughts?
post #4978 of 5123 Old 03-30-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngbm4avs View Post
hi everyone,
I first got the iview3500 back in 2013, when I went by johngbm4el. the box eventually could be only be controlled by pointing a remote 2" inches away from the box, whether it was iview's or a harmony. I am now in the market for a new box. I see a 4 star amazon rating for the "Edal Digital ATSC HD TV Receiver Converter Tuner Box." There is no edal website.
Amazon said they tested and they back the product. any thoughts?
There are only 38 reviews on Amazon, so statistically it's hard to tell how it compares to most of the others which come in close, at about 3.5-ish stars with 100's or over 1000 reviews.

There are a lot of players in this business. From a feature and UI standpoint, these units are about the same, and most of them run around the same price give or take a couple of bucks. What's different are some extra features here or there and level of support. From what I've seen, at least iView and Mediasonic (Homeworx products) provide firmware updates. I have personally had email and phone support experience with Ematic (AT103B) and Mediasonic and found them to be very responsive, although Ematic doesn't provide firmware updates readily.

So all that said, I would hesitate to by a unit that didn't have a website and has an unknown support record unless the user reviews indicate that they get good support.

Last edited by mdbratch; 03-30-2017 at 05:11 AM.
post #4979 of 5123 Old 03-30-2017, 06:33 PM

Is there something on Amazon that will enable me to plug an HDMI cable in the back and convert to a USB port enabling me to use my laptop as a monitor? Everything I see goes from laptop to monitor only. Is there a term for it?

Nick

post #4980 of 5123 Old 03-30-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just search Amazon for "HDMI capture device. " They aren't particularly cheap though.
ncsercs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page