iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes
post #4981 of 4992 Unread 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the iView-3500STBII and out of all the $40 units, I think overall it's the best box, best remote, best firmware.

Thinking of getting another unit.

Which $40 units are comparable or 'next best'? Another iView, eMatic, HomeworkX, other? Model number and why?

Opinions? Thanks!

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 4992 Unread 03-22-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked: 769
HomeWorX seems to have the fewest bugs. The HW-150 is comparable to the iView 3500, and the HW-180 is comparable to the iView 3200. But the remotes all suck compared to the 3500's remote.

eMatic went through a phase with bad firmware like iView did, but the newest ones are reportedly OK. Model number is AT103B. Ematic doesn't do firmware updates though, so if you get one make sure you can return it in case you get one of the buggy ones.

If you get an iView 3200, you can use the 3500's remote with it; you don't have to use the sucky 3200 remote. (That's not true of the HW-150 and HW-180 though - each of those needs its own remote!)
ncsercs likes this.
post #4983 of 4992 Unread 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
HomeWorX seems to have the fewest bugs. The HW-150 is comparable to the iView 3500, and the HW-180 is comparable to the iView 3200. But the remotes all suck compared to the 3500's remote
What's your opinion of HW-150 versus either iView unit? And what specifically, in your opinion, makes the remotes suck?

Last edited by mdbratch; 03-23-2017 at 11:12 AM.

post #4984 of 4992 Unread 03-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
I have the iView-3500STBII and out of all the $40 units, I think overall it's the best box, best remote, best firmware.

Which $40 units are comparable or 'next best'? Another iView, eMatic, HomeworkX, other? Model number and why?

Opinions? Thanks!
I just bought an Ematic AT103B last weekend from Walmart for $31. It had firmware dated Nov 2016. I think it has a reasonable remote control layout. The performance seems great so far. I set up a few timed recordings and it would properly wake up from off and record them and go back to off. The video quality has been excellent. The only issue I've had from a bug standpoint was entering digits to overwrite a start or stop time to record a show. Sometimes I'd press a 3 and it would just keep trying to give me a 1. I never figured out why, but worked around it by always starting at the first digit, even if it's not changing and even if it's 0 and entering all of the time digits. That seems to work.

However, I am in the process of replacing this unit with a Homeworx HW-150 (after reading positive things about that unit on this forum) only because the AT103B remote conflicts with my Vizio sound bar remote. The mute on the sound bar is the same as the Play on the AT103B, and the input select on the sound bar is the same as fast forward on the AT103B. The HW-150 should arrive tomorrow and I'll take it for a spin. If it weren't for this, the AT103B would be a definite keeper. I'm really sad to give it up because it otherwise works so well.

If you don't have a Vizio sound bar, I'd definitely endorse the AT103B to at least try out. If you get it from Walmart, it's easy to return if it doesn't work out (and if it doesn't have at least Nov 2016 firmware since, as JHBrandt points out, Ematic isn't forthcoming with firmware updates).
post #4985 of 4992 Unread 03-23-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbratch View Post
What's your opinion of HW-150 versus either iView unit? And what specifically, in your opinion, makes the remotes suck?
The HW-150 is a lot like the iView 3500. Main differences are, it's lacking a few frills, such as the front-panel display. But it seems well-built, and it has a hard front-panel power switch that physically disconnects power. That's sometimes useful.

Homeworx does offer firmware upgrades, but only by email. You have to send them a pic of your serial number so they can tell which firmware version was written for your specific box. Over the years, Homeworx firmware seems to have had the fewest bugs, but like the box itself, it lacks a few frills, such as setting transparency of the menus.

As for its remote, judge for yourself:
It's actually bigger than the small remotes used by the eMatic, HW-180, and iView 3200, but it's very hard to read, especially the block of 12 buttons at the bottom, which have grey labels on a black background. There's almost no color, and the layout isn't very logical: Record is above the arrow keys, FF/Rew are on a curved rocker below and to the right, and play, pause, and stop are in that hard-to-read block of 12 buttons. I actually prefer the HW-180 remote (looks like the eMatic one with a slightly different layout), even though it's smaller.

Luckily, I understand you'll be using a Harmony, so you probably won't care much about the Homeworx remote.
ncsercs likes this.
post #4986 of 4992 Unread 03-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
As for its remote, judge for yourself...
Luckily, I understand you'll be using a Harmony, so you probably won't care much about the Homeworx remote
Ugh. The arrangement of the "transport" buttons are particularly weird. Actually, outright bizarre. Glad I'll be using the harmony!

Last edited by mdbratch; 03-23-2017 at 06:43 PM.
post #4987 of 4992 Unread 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not to mention the button that changes a recording from the preview window to full screen being labeled as 'Hold'. :-)

But once you get used to it and just remember it as bottom-most right, you don't think of it much after that.
post #4988 of 4992 Unread 03-24-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The button to go to full-screen doesn't make much more sense on the iView. It's the "Schedule" button (equivalent to "Timer" on the HW remote). I have no idea why neither box picked a more obvious button, like "OK." At any rate, I just remember it as the green button
post #4989 of 4992 Unread 03-25-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Not to mention the button that changes a recording from the preview window to full screen being labeled as 'Hold'. :-)
That is odd. The AT103B is the same. I don't know any function that the Hold button performs that actually means "hold".

On the odd UI topic, both the AT103B and HW-150PVR use 1, 2, and 3 for add, edit, and delete. On the USB drive screen, it uses EPG to delete, TIMER to rename. Pretty random. Thankfully, it has the legend right on screen for the button meanings.
post #4990 of 4992 Unread Yesterday, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post

Opinions? Thanks!
Just ordered a ViewTV AT-163 that was a Lightning Deal on Amazon for $23.99 w/free ship (normally $29.99).

Very similar to the iView. The price and the remote sealed the deal.

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #4991 of 4992 Unread Yesterday, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great! Let us know what you find:

• Menu/System/Information (HW version, SW version, etc.)
  • Any special features (games a la eMatic, menu transparency a la iView, etc.)
  • Any stupidly disabled features, such as time-shifting on the RCA DTA880 boxes
  • And, of course, any bugs
post #4992 of 4992 Unread Today, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi everyone,
I first got the iview3500 back in 2013, when I went by johngbm4el. the box eventually could be only be controlled by pointing a remote 2" inches away from the box, whether it was iview's or a harmony. I am now in the market for a new box. I see a 4 star amazon rating for the "Edal Digital ATSC HD TV Receiver Converter Tuner Box." There is no edal website.
Amazon said they tested and they back the product. any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders