iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

Old 04-06-2017, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
As to why my hub doesn't work, I tested it with a voltage/current checker. Output voltage was 4.9V; a bit low but should be OK. Current drain of my HDD measured <180mA with or without the hub, and the HDD light comes on when plugged into the hub (and when the iView is turned on). But the iView doesn't recognize it.
4.9V is certainly within acceptable range of the nominal 5V. However, the < 180mA seems very low for an HDD if it's actually operating. SATA drives I've looked (3.5" and 2.5") have all been higher than 550mA @ 5V right on the hard drive casing label. So maybe when measuring current, you weren't looking at peak usage?

Last edited by mdbratch; 04-06-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 781
It draws 180mA when it's spinning but otherwise idle. Measured current goes up to around 350mA when the heads are moving (i.e., when it's actually recording or playing). The point, though, was that it draws the same current whether powered directly from the iView (where it works) or the hub (where it doesn't, so naturally there's no way to measure "peak" usage in this case).

It's a 2.5" 500GB Samsung HDD. I'm sure HDDs with greater capacity require more current.

BTW, the 400mA current listed on Amazon's page was supposedly for the power adapter:
Quote:
Adapter Output Voltage : 5V Output Current : 400mA Adapter interface : 5.5 mm
... but it's incorrect; the power adapter I received is a 1000mA one. So even if the hub itself is junk, at least I got a decent 5V power adapter out of it.
Old Today, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
Then don't use the "OK" button (and then the "green" button) to view your recorded program. Use the "Play" button instead. It will go "full screen" automatically. Just have to train yourself to use the "Play" button. It's just too tempting to use that big old "OK" button for starting everything. You'll get the hang of it after a few hundred tries.
It didn't take me a few hundred tries, it's actually the intuitive way to play a video. The problem was the blasted user interface screen which lists "OK" as the way to select a video to play, but not the "Play" button. Thanks for the information, you've saved me a lot of frustration, and moved this $40 piece of junk that much closer to being a real useful piece of consumer electronics (just 80 more problems to go)...

--
max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement