iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5071 of 5095 Old 06-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
ncsercs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hinsdale, IL
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You misunderstand; I wasn't trying to talk you out of automatic updates! I was saying that because automatic updates would be dangerous, the iView developers decided not to provide for them in the first place. There's no "hidden option" to enable them, at least none that I know of.
Never got that impression at all.

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
ncsercs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5072 of 5095 Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
ncsercs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hinsdale, IL
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Uh, dude - those look like analog RF modulators, not digital ones. None of the iViews or HomeWorXes can tune analog signals. You'd need something like an old-fashioned VCR.
Also, I learned that satellite systems Direct TV and Dish don't work with QAM.

Why can a TV tune analog signals?

Do VCR's have digital tuners?

If so, what's the difference between that and a TV and an iView?

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
ncsercs is offline  
post #5073 of 5095 Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,877
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Some low power stations in the US continued to use NTSC after the DTV transition, so many HDTVs still have NTSC tuners.

VCRs don't have ATSC tuners, but some DVHS decks might. There's not much point in investing in such outdated technology, though. If you want to keep a VCR working, get a DTV converter box and plug the composite output into the VCR's input, and then you can record DTV with the VCR.
Aleron Ives is offline  
 
post #5074 of 5095 Old 06-16-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
Why can a TV tune analog signals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Some low power stations in the US continued to use NTSC after the DTV transition, so many HDTVs still have NTSC tuners.
Also, some smaller cable systems still use some analog signals. In-building video distribution systems may also use analog signals if HD isn't needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you want to keep a VCR working, get a DTV converter box and plug the composite output into the VCR's input, and then you can record DTV with the VCR.
In fact, something like an iView is a good choice for this: it's cheap, tunes digital signals, has composite A/V outputs that a VCR can use, and can be set to turn on and tune to a station by time, so it can replace the VCR's built-in record timer.

Of course, you could just plug a HDD into the iView and let it do the recording, but if you have a need for a VHS tape and a digital recording won't do, this is a reasonable solution.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5075 of 5095 Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
ncsercs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hinsdale, IL
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Some smaller cable systems still use some analog signals. In-building video distribution systems may also use analog signals if HD isn't needed.
That may be the case with my Hospital system. That's why using the iView didn't work out. Considering a HTPC with an old laptop or maybe a Series2 TiVo w/o a subscription.

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
ncsercs is offline  
post #5076 of 5095 Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Springfield Or
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have, so far, been happy with the use of a SanDisk 32 GB Ultra flash drive. It is advertised as having write speed of 4 mbs but only with a 3.0 usb connection. I believe the usb connector on the iView is a 2.0 one so the recos earlier in some posts of the need for higher write/read speeds in flash drives would seem to be irrelevant in the face of the 2.0 connector limit. The best feature of the drive is its low cost of around $20.
I would be intersted in any comments of the downside of such a drive. For example, am I losing some fidelity using it compared to a faster drive?
Also should I format the drive every so often (I think not) or is the delete function on the iView adequate, or perhaps I should delete files from a PC?
felf is offline  
post #5077 of 5095 Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
USB 2.0 ports support a speed of up to 480 Mbit/s or 60 MByte/s, which is way faster than a digital TV channel (either OTA or cable) transmits data. So the fact that the iView's port is 2.0, not 3.0, isn't a problem; the port can keep up with anything the iView's tuner can throw at it.

But typical USB thumb drives have read speeds that are way faster than write speeds, so to get one with a reasonably fast write speed, you usually need to get one with a read speed faster than USB 2.0 can handle, which means the thumb drive will have a USB 3.0 port. It will still work fine when plugged into a USB 2.0 port; although doing so will obviously slow down reading to somewhat below the max 2.0 speed. But what about writing, which was probably way slower than the USB 2.0 limit to start with?

The main thing I found on that question is that USB 2.0 is half-duplex, meaning data can't be both sent and received at the same time, while USB 3.0 is full-duplex. Since writing to the thumb drive still involves some reading, that could slow down writing a little compared against a full-fledged USB 3.0 port. But, it's hard for me to say how much it might slow down.

Anyway, a write speed of 4 Mbit/s should be plenty for SD channels, but too slow for most HD channels. However, if your drive is too slow, the symptoms will be obvious: skipping and stuttering when playing back the recording. If those aren't happening, then your drive is fast enough and your recording is perfect. Unlike analog recording, there can be no loss of fidelity when recording digital TV as the iView does.

As for deleting vs. reformatting, I doubt it matters. The important thing is to avoid letting the thumb drive ever get "too full." The thumb drive needs a reserve of sectors it "knows" have never been written, so it can do faster erase-block/write-multiple-sectors operations, vs. slow read-block/modify-one-sector/erase-block/write-everything-back operations.
ncsercs likes this.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5078 of 5095 Old 07-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Member
 
maxreactance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by felf View Post
I have, so far, been happy with the use of a SanDisk 32 GB Ultra flash drive. It is advertised as having write speed of 4 mbs but only with a 3.0 usb connection. I believe the usb connector on the iView is a 2.0 one so the recos earlier in some posts of the need for higher write/read speeds in flash drives would seem to be irrelevant in the face of the 2.0 connector limit. The best feature of the drive is its low cost of around $20.
I would be intersted in any comments of the downside of such a drive. For example, am I losing some fidelity using it compared to a faster drive?
Also should I format the drive every so often (I think not) or is the delete function on the iView adequate, or perhaps I should delete files from a PC?
The limiting factor for sufficient write speeds for video recording on flash drives is not the difference between interface speeds between USB 2.0 and 3.0, since either is plenty fast enough. Rather, the difference is the type of flash media used, and possibly some other interface buffers might affect certain types of performance.

You would not lose "fidelity" per se with a flash drive with an insufficient write speed. The symptoms of insufficient write speed are stuttering of the playback video, because the video recording stops when it receives too much data, then resumes recording a few seconds later, so the playback is always jumping ahead every few seconds, making it largely unwatchable.

For SD video recording, you won't have a problem with ANY flash drive that I'm aware of. The problems start with HD video because of the much higher data rates. You have even more problems if you try to pause live TV and do "chase play" of the paused recording, which may have something to do with the read/write buffers in the drive, not just the write speed of the media.

For about a week, I thought I had a flash drive that could do HD recording without problems, because it appeared to have a write speed over the maximum data rate of broadcast TV channels. I was wrong (or the information on the write speed was wrong), because I wound up with stuttering playback on a couple of 1080 channels. So the search goes on for a completely reliable flash drive, which is difficult to find since basically all the drive manufacturers misrepresent the write speed of their drives. There are some web sites out there that conduct their own benchmark tests on flash drives, what you definitely want is the drive that benchmarks at the highest write speed, particularly for large files (like video files) rather than writing thousands of small files. There is a San Disk flash drive that I've seen benchmarked higher that all other flash drives, so that might be the one (it still might not work well for pause/chase play playback, but it should record OK. A couple of tricks that seem to apply: reformatting the drive on your PC for the maximum segment size and NTFS, and always buy the biggest drive you can afford, since bigger drives tend to record more quickly than smaller drives with the same media.

Other than the fact that flash drives do not generally work for iView video recording, they would be ideal for the task. They use much less power, so they don't overheat the iView like USB-powered hard drives, and are always available, unlike hard drives which typically require some spin-up to work (or they are always spinning, even worse), leading to recording delays, noticeable during live TV pause.

--
max
maxreactance is offline  
post #5079 of 5095 Old 07-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Member
 
maxreactance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
USB 2.0 ports support a speed of up to 480 Mbit/s or 60 MByte/s, which is way faster than a digital TV channel (either OTA or cable) transmits data. So the fact that the iView's port is 2.0, not 3.0, isn't a problem; the port can keep up with anything the iView's tuner can throw at it.

But typical USB thumb drives have read speeds that are way faster than write speeds, so to get one with a reasonably fast write speed, you usually need to get one with a read speed faster than USB 2.0 can handle, which means the thumb drive will have a USB 3.0 port. It will still work fine when plugged into a USB 2.0 port; although doing so will obviously slow down reading to somewhat below the max 2.0 speed. But what about writing, which was probably way slower than the USB 2.0 limit to start with?

The main thing I found on that question is that USB 2.0 is half-duplex, meaning data can't be both sent and received at the same time, while USB 3.0 is full-duplex. Since writing to the thumb drive still involves some reading, that could slow down writing a little compared against a full-fledged USB 3.0 port. But, it's hard for me to say how much it might slow down.

As for deleting vs. reformatting, I doubt it matters. The important thing is to avoid letting the thumb drive ever get "too full." The thumb drive needs a reserve of sectors it "knows" have never been written, so it can do faster erase-block/write-multiple-sectors operations, vs. slow read-block/modify-one-sector/erase-block/write-everything-back operations.
Well, close. Again, the speed of the interface is not the limiting factor. But read the damn bubble pack nonsense the drive manufacturers use to try to confuse the issue. They all say "up to 10 times faster" for 3.0, when they know damn good and well exactly what type and speed of flash media is in the drive, which in some cases is exactly the same for the 3.0 drives as the 2.0 drives. They just charge more money for the same (in some cases WORSE) performance just by stamping a drive "3.0".

I'm not sure the full/half duplex feature makes any real difference either, but it might. Note that everything you want to do such as pause live TV and "chase play" can be done through the 2.0 iView port using a HARD DRIVE no matter what the port on the hard drive.

Deleting files on the iView works the same as deleting files anywhere. The link to the file in the file system manager is deleted and the space on the disk/drive/whatever is then free to be overwritten by other files (note the file itself is NOT removed, which is why you can "delete" all the files on a disk, but somebody can then read them all perfectly because they are still actually there).

--
max
maxreactance is offline  
post #5080 of 5095 Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Springfield Or
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks JHBrandt & maxreactance for the excellent description of how USB drives work with respect to the iView.

From what you both say I can assume the since what I record comes as HD and my playback is not stuttering then I am truly watching HD reproduction despite the less than high-end stats of my cheap flash drive (I am not needing or using live TV pause or chase/play playback). Unless there will some longer term disadvantage, like earlier degradation perhaps, I am pleased with the performance of the unit.
JHBrandt likes this.
felf is offline  
post #5081 of 5095 Old 07-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Member
 
maxreactance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by felf View Post
Thanks JHBrandt & maxreactance for the excellent description of how USB drives work with respect to the iView.

From what you both say I can assume the since what I record comes as HD and my playback is not stuttering then I am truly watching HD reproduction despite the less than high-end stats of my cheap flash drive (I am not needing or using live TV pause or chase/play playback). Unless there will some longer term disadvantage, like earlier degradation perhaps, I am pleased with the performance of the unit.
Like me, you may not have found the highest bit-rate channel on the dial yet. "HD" uses a bit-rate quite a bit lower than "FHD" (Full High-Definition) or 1080i, and the actual bit-rate will depend on how much of the total channel bandwidth is used by the sub-channel in question. I found out the hard way that a 1080i sub-channel with no other sub-channels stuttered on my Toshiba flash drive that recorded many other "HD" sub-channels just fine.

I think you were talking about the SanDisk Ultra, which actually has a lot of negative reviews on Amazon for its write speed:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra.../dp/B00KYK2ABI

Now the SanDisk Extreme has the highest independent benchmarks for write speed:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre.../dp/B00DZPUOUI

BUT I deliberately avoid flash drives with extremely high write speeds because I worry about them overheating and eventually failing. (Some amount of "bit-rot" may happen for any of these drives with the media they use for fast write speeds, the media they typically use for 2.0 drives is very reliable and long-lived.) But in the case of the iView, you probably wouldn't ever have the kind of write speeds you would get when writing files to the drive on your PC, so that might not be a problem. They are also expensive and difficult (impossible) to find in regular retail stores.

Keep recording various channels with the SanDisk Ultra, and keep us posted if you have problems. I mostly use my old PC with an attached 6TB drive, Windows Media Center (member dat?), and am fooling around with Kodi for recording and archiving my recordings now (which is the exact machine I used before, but now it is located in the media center after I got my new PC a few months ago). Instead of around $40 for an iView, I spent basically $0 for what would have been a Goodwill donation or a dust-collector, and got most all of functionality of the iView except much Much MUCH better.

--
max
maxreactance is offline  
post #5082 of 5095 Old 07-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
plplplpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post
Windows Media Center (member dat?)
Yup.
Shame MS killed it.
plplplpl is offline  
post #5083 of 5095 Old 07-12-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post
Yup.
Shame MS killed it.
I still have a Win 7 box with WMC. It still works well, except the EPG has really gone downhill in the last two years:
Big WMC guide changes starting today
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5084 of 5095 Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
plplplpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's not that I'm looking to do you one better, but I'm still regularly using WMC on Vista for OTA. I know I'm probably a small demographic.

You're right about the EPG, which used to be pretty good. The workaround is that you can program recordings manually by date, time and channel, just like in the days of yore with VCRs. Millennials could most likely not wrap their brains around the concept.
plplplpl is offline  
post #5085 of 5095 Old 07-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
eherberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Not to derail the iview thread too much - but regarding guide in WMC, haven't most people moved to epg123 for the guide and given up on Rovi?
eherberg is offline  
post #5086 of 5095 Old 07-12-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
A lot of people have - not all. I think the latest outage affecting cable systems has probably pushed a lot more folks over the brink. Follow the link I posted and go toward the end of the thread, and you'll see a lot more info about it.

Now, back to iView (sort of): Stellar Labs (MCM Electronics' house brand) now sells an iView clone for $29.99 49.99: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2890. But the manual shows the PVR options removed (sort of like the original HW-180s)! However, the photo from the manual looks like it was rather clumsily retouched. I wonder if the PVR options were truly removed from the firmware, or only from the manual, as Channel Master originally did with their CM-7003 I also wonder why

The remote looks somewhat like the small remotes for the iView 3200, eMatic, etc. The only difference I see is an extra button at the top that appears to switch the RF output between channel 3/4/loop thru. But the box has all the outputs of the 3500, and a front-panel numeric display like iView's 3500 too.

Note: the antenna power option provides 12V @ 100mA (the iView has antenna power, but IIRC it's 5V, unknown current). 12V is compatible with Stellar Labs' RF amplifiers (as well as their amplified antennas and splitters) that can take power via their RF output.

It's for OTA only, not cable/QAM. The Channel Search menu lacks the Air/Cable option! That makes sense to me, given the numerous problems all these boxes have with cable signals. But I'm kind of curious if it could be cross-flashed with iView firmware to restore the removed functions, while keeping the 12V antenna power....

I'm not so curious as to spend $30 to find out, especially since I can get a real 3500 for only $3 more.

Edit: Shockingly the price of this clone is up to almost $50! I guess the $29.99 was just a brief sale. As I said above, it was hardly worth it as $30 - definitely not at $50! But surprisingly, it's gotten mostly good reviews - I guess the folks buying it don't know about the 3500! And if anyone happens to wind up with one of these Stellar Labs boxes, I'd still be interested to learn if the PVR options were truly removed (and of course the System / Information screen contents).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-14-2017 at 07:31 AM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5087 of 5095 Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Member
 
maxreactance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Not to derail the iview thread too much - but regarding guide in WMC, haven't most people moved to epg123 for the guide and given up on Rovi?
Gee, I would think so, since Rovi hasn't provided the guide at all for years!

But I don't know what "epg123" is...is it any good, is it free? Really, you'd think that somebody would step into the breach with an advertising-supported guide, even though WMC doesn't have any slots for advertising...something like an add-on for Kodi might fill the gap...

Rovi is about the worst company on Earth, everything considered (you probably don't know a tenth of it).

--
max
maxreactance is offline  
post #5088 of 5095 Old 07-13-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post
Gee, I would think so, since Rovi hasn't provided the guide at all for years!

But I don't know what "epg123" is...is it any good, is it free? Really, you'd think that somebody would step into the breach with an advertising-supported guide, even though WMC doesn't have any slots for advertising...something like an add-on for Kodi might fill the gap...

Rovi is about the worst company on Earth, everything considered (you probably don't know a tenth of it).

--
max
Man, I keep telling folks to go check out Big WMC guide changes starting today but nobody listens to me!

At least read the first and last pages. Lots of good info for WMC enthusiasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
M$ is switching guide data providers 7/7. Could be a little bumpy.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...php?f=6&t=8903

I may go ahead and force an update and see how much damage is done so I don't have any surprises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
... Others have reported the provider now says "Rovi". So it is indeed the same as Xbox One. I think that's a good sign. If there really are as few WMC users and MS says, maybe they won't mind keeping the guide data going indefinitely since the same provider does Xbox too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
This has been going on with WMC Rovi guide data for 1-2 years. For some users it would sometimes get down to only 1 or 2 days of guide data, but Microsoft always gets it fixed before it completely runs out.

If you get tired of Rovi, there is an alternative also here at TGB: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

EPG123 is a free program developed by a TGB member. It uses guide data from Schedules Direct which does have a $25 annual fee, but also has a 7 day free trail.

I swithced to EPG123 about 9 months ago. The guide data has never run out like Rovi. It is more accurate than Rovi, no more 'TBA' for sporting events, late night talks shows and other shows have actual data for that show instead of a generic show description. There is a lot of support in the EPG123 subforum from the developer and users.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5089 of 5095 Old 07-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Member
 
maxreactance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Man, I keep telling folks to go check out Big WMC guide changes starting today but nobody listens to me!

At least read the first and last pages. Lots of good info for WMC enthusiasts.
I guess I hadn't looked at it for a couple of years, sorry. Looks like this "123epg" or whatever is pretty good despite the hefty $2/month fee.

I was confused. I never used the Rovi guide, I don't think I could ever get it to work. What did happen is that maybe three (?) years ago I began having problems downloading the Zap2It guide, which gradually got worse, and then it went away entirely, and I never found a workable substitute.

I suspect that a lot of the problems I had downloading ANY guide to WMC had to do with Microsoft and their decision not to support WMC anymore, so I'm not sure how well and how long any new guide will work, but I'll give it a shot...

Other than that, I still wonder what could be done with an advertising-supported guide for something like Kodi or some open-source project. I was actually looking a few years ago to maybe "open-source" the iView firmware and fix all the problems, but writing streaming apps/streaming media platforms for actual pay has tended to take up a lot of my time in the interim, but one way or another, I'm committed to making TVs as useful as possible for the lazy idiots who watch them (in other words, I'm writing software for myself, the greatest lazy idiot couch potato in the universe)...

--
max
plplplpl likes this.
maxreactance is offline  
post #5090 of 5095 Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just wanted to jump in on this thread to thank everyone for their contributions. After reading this entire thread, I was able to set up my iview, get the clock set correctly and even got the channels in. I was limited because of the aforementioned 400 channel limit. Doing the manual scan did the trick for QAM channels. I am about to try recording. I hope it starts in 20 minutes like I programmed it to.
You all are Awesome and thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone else.

I printed out the important parts mentioned in here so that I can put them in the "manual" for future reference.

Thank you everyone!
lafatlife is offline  
post #5091 of 5095 Old 07-23-2017, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Springfield Or
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post
Like me, you may not have found the highest bit-rate channel on the dial yet. "HD" uses a bit-rate quite a bit lower than "FHD" (Full High-Definition) or 1080i, and the actual bit-rate will depend on how much of the total channel bandwidth is used by the sub-channel in question. I found out the hard way that a 1080i sub-channel with no other sub-channels stuttered on my Toshiba flash drive that recorded many other "HD" sub-channels just fine.

I think you were talking about the SanDisk Ultra, which actually has a lot of negative reviews on Amazon for its write speed:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra.../dp/B00KYK2ABI

Now the SanDisk Extreme has the highest independent benchmarks for write speed:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre.../dp/B00DZPUOUI

BUT I deliberately avoid flash drives with extremely high write speeds because I worry about them overheating and eventually failing. (Some amount of "bit-rot" may happen for any of these drives with the media they use for fast write speeds, the media they typically use for 2.0 drives is very reliable and long-lived.) But in the case of the iView, you probably wouldn't ever have the kind of write speeds you would get when writing files to the drive on your PC, so that might not be a problem. They are also expensive and difficult (impossible) to find in regular retail stores.

Keep recording various channels with the SanDisk Ultra, and keep us posted if you have problems. I mostly use my old PC with an attached 6TB drive, Windows Media Center (member dat?), and am fooling around with Kodi for recording and archiving my recordings now (which is the exact machine I used before, but now it is located in the media center after I got my new PC a few months ago). Instead of around $40 for an iView, I spent basically $0 for what would have been a Goodwill donation or a dust-collector, and got most all of functionality of the iView except much Much MUCH better.

--
max

For what it's worth I bought and have been using a 16 GB version of the SD Ultra to record OTA HD TV as I was interested in the idea that a lessor memory capacity might negatively affect the recording ability but so far the reproduction has been flawless to my eyes. And it cost < $10.
felf is offline  
post #5092 of 5095 Old 08-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Member
 
maxreactance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by felf View Post
For what it's worth I bought and have been using a 16 GB version of the SD Ultra to record OTA HD TV as I was interested in the idea that a lessor memory capacity might negatively affect the recording ability but so far the reproduction has been flawless to my eyes. And it cost < $10.
Well, keep trying on the FHD channels, I don't know.

All I know is that sometimes it pays not to speed-read the Internet. I came to the conclusion that a flash drive with a with an independently-tested write speed of 22 Mbps would be fast enough because it is above the 19.2 Mbps rate of an ATSC 6MHz channel that I saw on the Internet.

Now, looking a little closer, it's actually more like 19.4 Mbps, and they actually transmit about 30 Mbps with forward error correction, the 19.4 figure is the "usable" bit rate. So, I'm back to square one, totally confused like everybody else. Now I'm thinking you need a write speed above 30 Mbps to be safe, but who knows.

Very few flash drives have been tested above 30 Mbps, with the notable exceptions of the SanDisk Extreme Pro and SanDisk Extreme Go. I've never seen a test of the SanDisk Ultra with those types of numbers, but who knows, maybe SanDisk just sticks the faster Pro/Go media in some Ultras if they run out of the slow stuff...

In any event, with 22 Mbps in my flash drives, I get fine recordings of 720p channels, and MOST (but not all) 1080i channels, but "chase play" on the 720p channels has a little stutter and audio dropout every 30 seconds or so. As usual, SD channels record just fine even on the cheapest 2.0 flash drives.

--
max
maxreactance is offline  
post #5093 of 5095 Old 08-07-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post
Now, looking a little closer, it's actually more like 19.4 Mbps, and they actually transmit about 30 Mbps with forward error correction, the 19.4 figure is the "usable" bit rate. So, I'm back to square one, totally confused like everybody else. Now I'm thinking you need a write speed above 30 Mbps to be safe, but who knows.
--
max
That's correct; the raw data rate is 19.4 Mbps. The transmitted data rate is about 32.3 Mbps, but that includes things like FEC and trellis coding that don't make it past the tuner, so 19.4 Mbps is the figure you need to use.

The iView's .mts recording format causes a bit of "inflation:" it adds 4 bytes to each 188-byte TS packet. But that only brings the total up to 19.8 Mbps or so. And an actual recording would usually be less than that, because packets for subchannels other than the one you're recording don't get written out.

There's also file system (FAT32 or NTFS) overhead, but that's hard to calculate. You just have to guess. From your experience, I'd say 22 Mbps is close but not quite enough for the most demanding channels. I'd think 30 Mbps would be enough, but as you say, who knows?
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5094 of 5095 Old 08-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Member
 
maxreactance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That's correct; the raw data rate is 19.4 Mbps. The transmitted data rate is about 32.3 Mbps, but that includes things like FEC and trellis coding that don't make it past the tuner, so 19.4 Mbps is the figure you need to use.

The iView's .mts recording format causes a bit of "inflation:" it adds 4 bytes to each 188-byte TS packet. But that only brings the total up to 19.8 Mbps or so. And an actual recording would usually be less than that, because packets for subchannels other than the one you're recording don't get written out.

There's also file system (FAT32 or NTFS) overhead, but that's hard to calculate. You just have to guess. From your experience, I'd say 22 Mbps is close but not quite enough for the most demanding channels. I'd think 30 Mbps would be enough, but as you say, who knows?
Yeah, who knows? There seems to be more to this than meets the bit-rate statistics...

About a week ago, I decided to try to pause/fast forward/etc. a 720p channel, didn't work well, I was expecting that. This was using a flash drive independently rated at a 22Mbps write speed, a drive that couldn't record a single-subchannel 1080i program without stuttering every 10 seconds or so, with presumably only a 19.4Mbps rate or so.

Then right now, I tried to live pause another 720p channel...WORKED PERFECTLY. I paused 18 minutes of the program, fast-forwarded through the commercials, watched the program, paused it some more, NO PROBLEM.

The channel that didn't work had four SD subchannels, the one that worked has one other 720p subchannel. GO FIGURE.

So I looked at what I had on the flash drive. Good thing I did, I had a SD program I DVRd several weeks ago that I want to keep forever, so I want to transfer it to my media server.

I also had something else I had forgotten about, a FHD program I DVRd not really caring about it because I did not really expect the recording to be perfect...BUT IT WAS.

In looking at the independent USB flash drive test site, one thing I can note is there IS a big deviation in results between different testers, sometimes REALLY big. I can also note that by reading some of the reviews on Amazon for flash drives, some of them show HUGE differences at different times with the same drive, and on different machines. There are always big differences between file sizes, and also significant differences depending on file system format.

I don't think I'll get the Sandisk Ultra since a lot of the Amazon reviews single out really bad write speeds as a deal-breaking negative. But who knows, maybe it's great with writing videos from an iView, some weird serendipitous match between drive hardware and iView hardware...

I now am thinking of getting a Lexar Jump Drive P20, which has some of fastest write speed benchmarks of any drive on the planet, and the Amazon reviews specifically mention being able to write like 170GB of videos to the thing in like 10 minutes, and unlike certain other super-fast drives, it didn't melt or destroy the USB port with excessive heat.

So we'll see how that works in the iView...

--
max
maxreactance is offline  
post #5095 of 5095 Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
With at least one USB stick, I got perfect recordings and playback, but it wouldn't time-shift worth a damn. Had to just record it and watch it later. I think there wasn't enough of a buffer in the USB interface, so data going in and out kept getting in each other's way.
JHBrandt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off