iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #541 of 3707 Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My camera is not working but got some more info I think. I removed the main board back side info

A picture of a half moon with ring around it and a dot to the top right side

also MZKH 1250

data sticker odd lay out like this

kfl a b c d e f
2012 1 2 3 4 5 6
qc p. 7 8 9 10 11 12

12 has line threw it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle2 View Post

Ok. Three years ago for you it might have been an "exaggeration". But from your own admission, You stopped using a VCR three years ago,
So doesn't that now qualify it as being a "Boat Anchor" ?

You misunderstood. I used a VCR for three years after the DTV transition (2009 - 2012); I only switched to a DVR last year. I used a VCR with a DTV converter box for at least a year prior to the conversion, too. The VCR is far from being a boat anchor; it still does what it has always done. I only switched because I found an alternative that had even greater functionality, such as the ability to record two programs at once while watching a previous recording, which a VCR can't do. If I ran into a situation where I needed three tuners, I could get out the VCR again and continue to use it. VCRs aren't made anymore, but DVD+VCR combo units still are, and you can buy T-120 VHS tapes at drugstores like Walgreens and CVS with ease. They are quite commonplace commodities.
post #543 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 143
troydog;
It's the individual components I was looking for, especially the main processor and the video chip(s).

Post 5 has been updated.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #544 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

You misunderstood. I used a VCR for three years after the DTV transition (2009 - 2012); I only switched to a DVR last year. I used a VCR with a DTV converter box for at least a year prior to the conversion, too. The VCR is far from being a boat anchor; it still does what it has always done. I only switched because I found an alternative that had even greater functionality, such as the ability to record two programs at once while watching a previous recording, which a VCR can't do. If I ran into a situation where I needed three tuners, I could get out the VCR again and continue to use it. VCRs aren't made anymore, but DVD+VCR combo units still are, and you can buy T-120 VHS tapes at drugstores like Walgreens and CVS with ease. They are quite commonplace commodities.

If you can stomach the abysmal quality of vhs, I guess that would work. But even a dvd recorder is worlds better than that. The only reason I have a vcr is to watch older stuff that I still have around. Other than that, I'm recording on HD DVR's or a dvd recorder. You can buy a new a non-hdd dvd recorder for $100, and you can find used units on craigslist for under $50. Heck used Tivo Series 2's w/lifetime sub can be bought for $50 all day long on craigslist. I would buy those way before wasting money buying a new dvd/vcr combo unit to record on.
post #545 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have an original Tivo that is still going strong, as well as a series 2 with dvd burner as you mention. If the iView timers were really solid, it would be ideal to use with both of these.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #546 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I have an original Tivo that is still going strong, as well as a series 2 with dvd burner as you mention. If the iView timers were really solid, it would be ideal to use with both of these.
Is your S2 able to control the iView's IR codes? Someone on Amazon was just complaining that the iView used a newer IR code set not programmed into the older S2 Tivos.
post #547 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

If you can stomach the abysmal quality of vhs, I guess that would work. But even a dvd recorder is worlds better than that. The only reason I have a vcr is to watch older stuff that I still have around.

The quality with DTV is still worlds better than the ghosted, snowy image you'd get from recording NTSC most of the time, and recording SP anamorphic widescreen provides better results than letterboxed recording. DVD recorders never took off, due to their cumbersome nature. You don't need to erase VHS prior to re-recording it, since erasure happens as the tape is recorded, and you can re-record at any position on the tape at will, without having to deal with de-finalising discs. A DVR takes the convenience factor a step further by having integrated storage that eliminates the need to have multiple tapes in service, as well as enabling simultaneous recording and watching operations (except on the iView, apparently). As an added bonus, you don't have to rewind, either. biggrin.gif
post #548 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Is your S2 able to control the iView's IR codes? Someone on Amazon was just complaining that the iView used a newer IR code set not programmed into the older S2 Tivos.

Have not tried yet..but if the scheduler in the 3500 worked right, would just have to double schedule in the Tivo is all. A pain.Right now, 1st gen Tivo is on DirecTv.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #549 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 21
Boat Anchors

OK.... In order to keep this thread On Topic I stand corrected. They still offer VHS tapes and VCR's are still being sold.
But, the days for VCR's are very limited. The main factor is the mechanical tape transport. Manufacturing the mechanical components and assembling them is very time consuming and expensive. Compared to all the solid state replacement options.

videobruce
Quote:
Never even entered my mind. I was still pushing to find out what is under that heat sink. wink.gif Anyone want to tackle removing the sink to see what that chip is (probably with a heat gun)? I tried wiggleing ti, but it didn't budge. Prying is absolutely out.

I too wondered about that IC. The adhesive holding on the heat sink is soft like silicone Cured silicone can withstand high temps so heating the heat sink might not do the trick. Since it is soft one should be able to take a thin razor blade and saw or slice through the adhesive between the heat sink and IC.
I'm not willing to try this on a working $50 item. Would be interesting to see the specs on the chip. Perhaps even see if the manufacturer offers any programming information.

In your post #1 where you listed the components you were able to ID..... The NANYA chip is actually 512MB. On the chip you photographed it was hard to correctly read the part number. You showed the # to be Nanya NT5TU32M1000BE Where it actually reads NT5TU32M1600BE. According to the NANYA Website the 32M16 is 16 X 32 = 512MB.

We don't know if this memory chip is used for the processing of the EPG information or not. If it is, then maybe 512MB is insufficient and is responsible to the EPG hang-up issues.

troydog:

I looked at the three PCB's we have.

I think the power supply board is sorta like a 'generic", "off the shelf" power supply.

The display board actually has iView silk screened on it along with the hardware version number we see in the menu set-up page under the "Information Tab". It makes sense that the display board be custom for iView's requirements to work with the way they designed the front bezel of the enclosure.

The main processor board does not show any reference to iview. This board is most likely the same for all such STB's regardless who's name is on the outside of the enclosure. iView, HomeWorx, etc..
post #550 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 10
can someone help me? I can`t unzip the iview 3500 v6 update with WinRAR. I keep getting a unknown method and operation failed message
post #551 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM

can someone help me? I can`t unzip the iview 3500 v6 update with WinRAR. I keep getting a unknown method and operation failed message
post #552 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Funny, that is what I used with no issue. I can't believe there is so much trouble unpacking this. Try renaming the extension it to .7z and see what happens.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #553 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 PM

nope... no luck
post #554 of 3707 Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Old versions of WinRAR might not be able to unpack the file; old versions of 7-Zip don't even work. If you download the latest version of 7-Zip from http://7-zip.org, you should be able to decompress the firmware after changing the file extension.
post #555 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's not him. I just tried to open either and got a "operation failed". I pulled both files until I can figure out a way around the lame software the forum choose to use. Sorry about that. mad.gif

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send the more stable V4.

post #556 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The quality with DTV is still worlds better than the ghosted, snowy image you'd get from recording NTSC most of the time, and recording SP anamorphic widescreen provides better results than letterboxed recording. DVD recorders never took off, due to their cumbersome nature. You don't need to erase VHS prior to re-recording it, since erasure happens as the tape is recorded, and you can re-record at any position on the tape at will, without having to deal with de-finalising discs. A DVR takes the convenience factor a step further by having integrated storage that eliminates the need to have multiple tapes in service, as well as enabling simultaneous recording and watching operations (except on the iView, apparently). As an added bonus, you don't have to rewind, either. biggrin.gif

I agree that DTV is much better than analog. My Panny was hooked up to a converter box when the government was paying the first $40 on them and the pq from that compared to the Panny's analog tuner was much cleaner. And I also agree about dvd recorders being cumbersome. My Panny had a hdd and I noticed we watched more programs off of that compared to burning discs. That's what has lead me to using dvr's. My first was a Haupauge usb tuner stick for my first htpc and it's grown from there. That's why I read this and other HDTV Recorder threads. I'm always on the lookout for something different. I currently have a 3-tuner htpc (added a dual tuner HDHR3), a Tivo Series 2 (ST/80gb) and a Tivo Premiere (500gb) for ota and a Dish 722K for satellite. I drive my wife crazy!

I still use a Magnavox 533 dvd recorder to burn movies I've recorded off my 722K though.
post #557 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

It's not him. I just tried to open either and got a "operation failed". I pulled both files until I can figure out a way around the lame software the forum choose to use. Sorry about that. mad.gif

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send the more stable V4.

I used 7zip two days ago they both worked fine.
post #558 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 03:51 PM

I have the HomeWorX HW-150PVR and I flashed it with the V6 firmware listed on the first page and it broke my box. It turns on and shows a single channel but the remote control and buttons on the box no longer work. It won't accept inputs. DO NOT try this at home with a HomeWorX unit. To be fair, it never said that it would work with the HomeWorx wink.gif

-UPDATE-

I just bought an iView and found that the HomeWorx now will work with the iView remote but not with the HomeWorx remote. Looks like the remotes are using different codes and the firmware is looking for the iView. Just a heads up, don't flash your HomeWorx box with the iView firmware; it works but unless you have the iView remote, it's useless. Also, the HomeWorx remote is 10x better than the iView.
post #559 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Anyway to try installing a earlier version of the iView firmware? and did you get a chance to play with your HomeWorx before it quit working, what were your impressions? I like the looks of the remote better for sure.
Wonder of we should start a separate thread for the HomeWorx?? Seems different enough from the iView to warrant one....
http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW-150PVR-Converter-Recording-Function/dp/B00CXAE92K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371769306&sr=8-1&keywords=HomeWorX+HW-150PVR
In hindsight I kind of wish I had waited for the HomeWorx instead of ordering a spare iView which I haven't even opened(but ordered probably a month ago).
post #560 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostcall View Post

To be fair, it never said that it would work with the HomeWorx wink.gif

Wow..a zinger of a first post!!eek.gif

Bob

post #561 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 PM

In case anyone is still interested in the iView.
Hard to tell sometimes We tend to get "Off Topic"

I have a couple of observations.....

I recently picked-up a Toshiba 250Gb Sata-II 2.5" HD. Of course. wanting to put the 3500 and the HD through their paces, I ]preformed some extensive testing.

Following is while running Version 6 Firmware.
While testing the drive by doing several random recordings I found a couple of hang-up issues not related to the one we have been experiencing with viewing EPG. While selecting three programs to be recorded after selecting the 3rd program and the Schedule screen come up to show what is going to be recorded I am not able to Exit out of the Schedule page. The only way I have found is to hit the power button on the remote and then power back on. After doing the following and then checking the Schedule page three programs are listed to be recorded. From there I can select up to 2 more programs with out any hang-up. But, after the selecting the 6th program. It hangs again. In other words.... it hangs on the first three and then hangs again on the second three. Checking Schedule shows all 6.

After doing numerous recording tests with 2 or more events, I have experienced these issues at random.
Sometimes only the first event is recorded and not the others.

Once in awhile it was noted that no timed no events were recorded.
Lastly... At times the unit would stay on after finishing a schedule and not turn off as it should. Seems the not turning off might be at times when not all event get recorded.

Anyone else experience this issues?
Anyone interested in testing to see if you can duplicate the same errors?

HHD Power Down Issue:

I read how some users mention that their HD shuts down while not recording or being accessed.

My drive does not shut down I'm using a pretty generic 2.5" drive enclosure where the PCB plugs on to the SATA connector of the HD and the HD is powered via the USB port. Of course. I would prefer that the HD shuts down when not needed.
Have we come to any solution or reason why some drives keep spinning and some do not?
Do we know if this is related to the type of drive. Or, the interface being used between USB and SATA? Perhaps some other factor.

VideoBruce's Heat Concerns:

I have checked the operating temps of the power supply board and the main board. On the PS board the hottest component is diode D2 next to the power output connector.
I have recorded temps of 160F while the HD is running. On by PS this diode was pushed up next to the large cap next to it. Not a good situation, Since caps are rated to withstand certain temps. I pushed the diode away from the cap as far as I could. Perhaps replacing this diode with a larger one would be in order or providing some form of heat sink.

The other "Hot Spot" I found was on the main board and it was that mystery IC with the clear anodize heat sink. I didn't feel that the temp of that IC was anything to be concerned over.

The reason for my concern regarding operating temps is because I'm thinking about modding the iView's case to have a internal swappable 2.5" SATA HD.
In case you have not seen this before, (photo follows) there is a Computer PCI card slot device that you slide an 2.5 drive into and the cover on this device latches closed to secure the drive in place.

I'm pretty sure there is enough room above the main PCB to allow for the device to fit. Should be a rather simple mod of the 3500's case to allow the "rack" opening to face to the right side of the case. In my situation I'd like to be able to simply remove the drive and take the content to another PC for to process the recording. Naturally I could do this just my plugging an external drive into the USP port. Problem for me is that I don't need or want anymore devices plugged in here and there. I feel it would be a much cleaner way of having a swappable drive.

videobruce likes this.
post #562 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Frostcall;
You should never, never flash another device with someones else's firmware no matter how similar it looks like. Actually, that shouldn't of even allowed the flash in the first place. wink.gif

nickle2;
Before I forget it, yours posts are excellent, bringing up information not presented before. I'm glad to see someone willing to get their hand dirty for a change as opposed to being afraid to even open the thing up.
I admittedly never looked, but I haven't seen any drive chassis as that. I see many possibilities for that here and in a PC. Do you really think a laptop drive would fit inside without being too cramped? You will also have to allow additional cooling by at least a fan. Are there any front access devices for Laptop drives?

This must be the device;
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-5-Inch-Removable-Expansion-S25SLOTR/dp/B002MWDRD6

How about a home made PCI slot 2 1/2" drive holder?;
http://www.electrocave.com/home/projects/2-5-inch-hard-drive-in-a-pci-slot

post #563 of 3707 Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Lastly, thanks for the corrections on those chips. You have no idea how long I had to look through all the photos I took to get one that showed the lettering properly. Though 512MB of memory seems kinda high for something like this. confused.gif

post #564 of 3707 Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 AM

videobruce:
Quote:
nickle2;
Before I forget it, yours posts are excellent, bringing up information not presented before. I'm glad to see someone willing to get their hand dirty for a change as opposed to being afraid to even open the thing up.
I admittedly never looked, but I haven't seen any drive chassis as that. I see many possibilities for that here and in a PC. Do you really think a laptop drive would fit inside without being too cramped? You will also have to allow additional cooling by at least a fan. Are there any front access devices for Laptop drives?

Thanks for the kind words and the "Thumbs-UP"

Those card slot drive chassis have been around for awhile. You see them on eBay frequently. Seen them for around $20.
You ask .... "Are there any front access devices" Yes, I have see some 2.5" swappable drive racks or chassis that fit in a floppy drive bay. As far as for laptop drive replacement I don;t think ve seen anything like that.
Make sense now days since floppy drives are a real "boat anchor"wink.gif

Yes, I do think that there is enough room for the card slot HD chassis. Although, I have not seen one in person. It looks like the device is no thicker than the card slot cover. I'd be willing to purchase one just to see if my idea is feasible. Especially considering how easy it would be to mod the case to take the device. As far as the HD being crammed into a tight space.... Well that don't have much room when inside a laptop. The drives themselves don't seem to generate much heat on their own either. Heat from other sources would not be a good thing for the HD.
I would also include a two port USB hub in order to keep the front USB port. A USB to SATA device would be needed since the Card slot devise is designed to connect directly to a SATA cable and a PC power supply. A fan would be in order unless there was some way to keep the main source of heat under control with more heat sinking or a higher rated component or diode that would not overheat. I have several small 12 fans that are dead quiet. I did not check the 12 output but you mentioned that 12 volts was always present. One could switch on the fan with a simple transistor circuit perhaps triggered by the green LED.
Quote:
Though 512MB of memory seems kinda high for something like this.

Well, I don't know if it's a lot or not for thjs application, . If this memory chip is the weak spot which is the cause of the hang-ups, then no firmware revision will correct that type of problem. If my assumption is correct and iView knows it, then they might not want to spend much resources trying to correct a hardware problem with a software fix.

The other memory chip....... Spansion FL032PIF Flash memory 32 Mb

I see that little 8 legged chip in several devices. I think it's main role is to store some basic configuration settings. In fact i recently had to swap that type of chip out on a WD hard drive PCB that the motor control chip went bad on. I had to locate the same PCB for that HD and just swapping out the board would not work until that chip was removed from the original board and re-soldered on to the replacement board. Long story short.... that small IC held information that was programmed into it just for that particular HD. Not saying that this chip is being used for this same purpose for the 3500 but I don't think it is holding EPG display information. More likely it stores information we select in the Set-Up menus.

The Nanya Memory Chip: If I'm not mistaken this is a volatile memory chip. Actually it is like one of the several chips you see on a stick of RAM you put in your PC. Unless you own and Mac. This would be the type of memory you'd use to gather, store, and display information like for the EPG displays.

A Side Note: I too tested the Firmware Zip'd files and got the same errors.. Very strange indeed. I have not seen anything like this before. Must be some type of auto expire "Time Boomb" (sic 4 nsa 2 day)cool.gif
post #565 of 3707 Old 06-21-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What I have gotten out of our conversations, it's the Samsung decoder chip where some (or most) of the problems are. As I stated in the 1st post, this is the same chip that was used in a older small portable LCD TV (that I reviewed) (Samsung S5H1411X01-T0). I couldn't find anything on this. Only for a 1420 version which is older.

post #566 of 3707 Old 06-21-2013, 05:15 AM

I refined my fan - hard drive and it if anything looks better. It is hard attached to the iView chassis. The hard drive can be removed through the two front screws of the hard drive enclosure although I just connect it to my computer and transfer/delete files. I installed a 120vac outlet in the back of the chassis as shown to eliminate additional cords. I am powering the 24vc fan with a 9vdc p/s. The wattage of the p/s and fan is less than 1 watt, therefore at ten cents per KWH the cost to run the fan for a year is less than one dollar.

post #567 of 3707 Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Lastly, thanks for the corrections on those chips. You have no idea how long I had to look through all the photos I took to get one that showed the lettering properly. Though 512MB of memory seems kinda high for something like this. confused.gif

That's not 512 MB; note in the image, it specifically says "Mb" (that's megabits). So it's probably 64 MB.
videobruce likes this.
post #568 of 3707 Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Johnnyrw2,

Kudos! What you did was very imaginative, and ingenious.

That being said this IVIEW is so small that I think most people will be happy as I am to simply put an external drive next to it. Especially if it is a 2 1/2 inch drive it is hardly noticeable. I am using a 3 1/2 (I have a 2 1/2 available if I need it) internal drive in an enclosure that is as big as the IView and it is still a small foot print.
post #569 of 3707 Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Johnnyrw2,

Kudos! What you did was very imaginative, and ingenious.

That being said this IVIEW is so small that I think most people will be happy as I am to simply put an external drive next to it. Especially if it is a 2 1/2 inch drive it is hardly noticeable. I am using a 3 1/2 (I have a 2 1/2 available if I need it) internal drive in an enclosure that is as big as the IView and it is still a small foot print.

Thanks for the kind words Len. I had some problems with a 78 degree ambient and that is the reason for the iView and HD fan cooling. Might want to watch the temps at higher ambients or in a confined space.
post #570 of 3707 Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's not 512 MB; note in the image, it specifically says "Mb" (that's megabits). So it's probably 64 MB
I thought that didn't seem right. For something as this, 512MB would be more than enough as basic as this is. I'm sure that amount would probably solve many of the issues here. wink.gif
Good catch, I will update post 1.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page