Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #31 of 3677 Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Updated post 4, thanks to jjeff for the observation of the resume function.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3677 Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Well I played a bit last night with some various USB HDDs I had and I'm happy to report they all worked very well, even the 1TB one I tried(even though the manual says 500GBs max....) it showed ~143 hrs. of the full bandwidth CBS channel I was recording which is similar to my Tivo HD w/1TB. I even tried a USB powered 80GB micro drive and it worked good as well(the other two drives were wall powered). I also tried a old USB hub and was able to see 2 drives I had hooked up(after pushing USB it asks you which USB drive you want to access). It worked for SD channels but locked up on HD channels. I think my hub is either defective or I know it's quite old and probably too slow to work reliability(I took it out of a old PC because the PC always warned me it was very slow, maybe USB 1??).
I also hooked up my iView to a cable feed and experienced the same 0-0 OSD for every channel like videobruce did. It also showed another channel number but that one really didn't make any sense either. It found 120 channels but the vast majority were scrambled so it was kind of a pain to scan though them all. My other QAM tuners skip over most of the scrambled channels but not the iView...Oh and no usable program information, it just said "searching" and then went blank, I take it my cable feed has no PSIP. At first my clock was off but after a while it got the correct time, but I do worry about the clock since there is no manual way to adjust it....
post #33 of 3677 Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well I played a bit last night with some various USB HDDs I had and I'm happy to report they all worked very well, even the 1TB one I tried(even though the manual says 500GBs max....) it showed ~143 hrs. of the full bandwidth CBS channel I was recording which is similar to my Tivo HD w/1TB.
That's very interesting about the 1TB, I will have to add that to one of the existing posts. What does your 500GB drive show for hours? That 'Info' pop-up during record is the slickest thing. The 640G 2 1/2" drive that I use for the VRX (actually still inside the VRX) shows 76 hrs.
Quote:
also tried a old USB hub and was able to see 2 drives I had hooked up(after pushing USB it asks you which USB drive you want to access).
More interesting. As I stated, the appearance of that sliding bar on the PVR configure page with arrows left and right of the "C" indicates it can access more than one drive, but I thought it was more than one port, I never figured that it could see additional drives through t USB hub (that I don't have). frown.gif
Quote:
I also hooked up my iView to a cable feed and experienced the same 0-0 OSD for every channel
Who is your MSO? There were a couple of reviews over at Amazon that mentioned connecting it up to cable TV, but no mention of any numbering problems. But, then again, those reviews are about as good as many on Newegg. wink.gif
Quote:
It found 120 channels but the vast majority were scrambled so it was kind of a pain to scan though them all.
That's why I suggested forgetting the scan and manually entering the few physical channels for your 'in the clear' locals. I have five physical channels for eight virtual stations.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #34 of 3677 Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a 500GB USB drive, only a small USB powered 80, 200 and my 1TB, the 1TB showed 143hrs with the full bandwidth CBS channel I was recording.
I was hooked to a Comcast/Xfinity connection but as mentioned before it's through a MDTV converter(where many digital channels are converted to analog cable) apparently some clear QAM channels get through or allowed to get through. I wouldn't call this cable connection typical in any way, for sure not in a household application. I no longer have access to a direct(not though the MDTA converter) connection frown.gif
post #35 of 3677 Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I forget you did mention that. Yes, that isn't a true CCTV setup and would affect the end result.
I ran the "record data test" (not sure what else to call it) my highest bandwidth station and it showed 73 hours at 2.3 MB/s. On my lowest BW station, 1.25 MB/s it showed 133 hrs.
Sub channels ranged from 360KB to 500KB. They showed between 487 and 345 hrs. All on a 640GB drive with no other recordings on the drive. You need to wait 20-30 seconds for the bitrate reading to stabilize.

While I was doing that I discovered if you are recording (at least when pressing the 'Rec' button), you can 'surf' elsewhere and the recording will pause until you return to that channel. Then it will resume.

post #36 of 3677 Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Videobruce and JJeff for the details on this product.

Naturally, as long as I have a clock on the DHG then it will remain my “third” tuner (2 on TiVo OTA). It is unlikely I will be able to maintain a clock much longer.

The iView obviously needs a lot of polish.

Many aspects of the HDMI sound promising, but no “Native”; oh wow, don’t know about that one – ugh.

Well the price is right – LOL I will continue to read, Thanks.
post #37 of 3677 Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The iView obviously needs a lot of polish.
Not as much as that other one. eek.gif
At this price point, I can't expect much.

Clearly, this is opposite of TiVo; this is under rated!

Quote:
but no “Native”; oh wow, don't know about that one – ugh.
I'm surprised that is such a big deal. confused.gif

post #38 of 3677 Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
NO! . key. Yes thats right, no . key so to get to 23.4 you have to enter 23 and after a few seconds it will go to 23.1 after witch you can use the up channel to get to 23.4.
This initially needs three digits to automatically add sub channels.
Enter 0234 for 23-4. smile.gif

I updated the issues in post 26

post #39 of 3677 Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I ran the "record data test" (not sure what else to call it) my highest bandwidth station and it showed 73 hours at 2.3 MB/s. On my lowest BW station, 1.25 MB/s it showed 133 hrs.
Sub channels ranged from 360KB to 500KB. They showed between 487 and 345 hrs. All on a 640GB drive with no other recordings on the drive. You need to wait 20-30 seconds for the bitrate reading to stabilize.
It's a cool feature, I wish one could do it without even being in the record mode but oh well.
Quote:

While I was doing that I discovered if you are recording (at least when pressing the 'Rec' button), you can 'surf' elsewhere and the recording will pause until you return to that channel. Then it will resume.
I also discovered that when I was playing with my cable feed, I had pushed record to check bitrate, forgot it was on and started channel surfing. I didn't realize it had stopped recording though, I thought it also recorded my channel changes....While surfing with the record on I did have it lock up though, required disconnecting my thumb drive and powering down the unit, because of this in the future I'll try and be conscious to not do this.
Quote:

Regarding native output.....
I'm surprised that is such a big deal. confused.gif
While I tend to use fixed resolution because of quicker channel changes I do know that Native does have a strong following, especially for people with large projectors where a lower quality scaler(like in the iView) will add picture degradation, including visible scan lines in areas of movement. In this respect I'd say the iView is similar or maybe a bit worse than my Tivo HD set to fixed resolution.
Quote:

This initially needs three digits to automatically add sub channels.
Enter 0234 for 23-4. smile.gif
I'll give that a shot, beats entering 23, waiting several seconds until it tunes to 23.1 and then using the channel up button smile.gif
I take it to get to 2.4 one would enter 0024?
BTW I'm thinking of picking up another iView, I want to keep this one for my Tivo backup but my younger daughter would also like to be able to record the occasional show and for this price(and using my spare USB HDD) she couldn't even touch a SD digital tunered DVDR w/HDD(one of the Magnavoxes). She's not really a techi so I hope she wouldn't get frustrated with the iView. I think she'd be OK with the record/play at the same time limitation for the little she'll probably record.

edit: can't enter two zeros before a channel number, oh well looks like for me to get to 2.4 I'll have to just enter 2, wait a few seconds for it to go to 2.1 and then hit the channel up button 3 times or I suppose I could hit 4, wait a few seconds and then do 1 channel down(4.1 is the channel right above 2.4 in my market). Can't believe the forgot to add the - or . key to the remote rolleyes.gif
post #40 of 3677 Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
While surfing with the record on I did have it lock up though, required disconnecting my thumb drive and powering down the unit
I would say it's the thumb drive. wink.gif
Quote:
Native does have a strong following, especially for people with large projectors where a lower quality scaler(like in the iView) will add picture degradation
Somehow, I can't see anyone with a larger screen (over, say 50") using something like this. eek.gif
Quote:
I take it to get to 2.4 one would enter 0024?
As you discovered and posted in your Amazon review, it doesn't. mad.gif At least it lest you skip or delete sub channels you don't want. unlike that Funai/Maggie SD DVR/DVD Recorder. wink.gif

post #41 of 3677 Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The only reason I used the thumb drive was because it was easier to transport than a USB HDD, in the end I'll just one one of my USB HDDs.
Hey! I've got a 52" screen now biggrin.gif but truthfully as long as the output is the same resolution as the recorded program the picture is pretty much a mirror of the broadcast, only the scaling seems to degrade the picture a bit smile.gif
I updated my post to reflect the inability to enter two zeros before the channel number.
post #42 of 3677 Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I talked with Robert Chiu yesterday. He is aware of the issue with no dot or dash and the inability to enter two leading zeros for numbers below ten to enable the entry of a sub channel. I also have asked about the system processor and memory since I was unable to find the memory chips specs. It appears (?) to be a newer chip that isn't listed. He was unaware of thew USB hub capability. He also was unaware of the ability of pausing a recording by changing channels and resuming when one returns.
I've only made a few recordings, but in spite of the temperature levels I measured on the PS (which are in question), there has been no issue so far. redface.gif

Posts # 2 & 5 updated.

post #43 of 3677 Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! major issue with scheduled events if they cross over midnight.
I tried programming 2 events, first one 11pm-12:02am Monday(or as the iView calls it, 23:00-00:02 rolleyes.gif)
The next event was Tue 23:00-00:02
I was told event 2 overlapped with event 1 confused.gif
I then tried changing event 2 to Wed, same thing! In fact the first date I could program event 2 was for the following Monday rolleyes.gif
Oh I could also not program anything for any time, even daytime events(until after the following Monday) with event 1 programmed.
AFA event 1, I tried setting the end time to 24:00 but it did not take that, I also tried 00:00 but same results as 00:02, it was not until I set my ending time for 23:59 that I could program other events for later times/dates.
All I can think is it's got some kind of midnight bug, I wonder just what would record if I left the 23:00-00:02 event scheduled.....I mean I wonder if it would just keep recording and fill up my HDD......
Bummer, I mean I do occasionally program things that span midnight which seems problematic with the iView frown.gif
Oh all my events are ONCE set to RECORD, if the iVIew only had the option for daily M-F(instead of daily everyday) I could have setup my event today for daily M-F and just deleted it Wednesday after my second recording but I don't want it recording tonight and tomorrow, some real basic programming events missing on this thing.....
Oh and another jab at the remote, man this thing sucks! I mean between the small buttons, shared buttons and who the heck would think it's OK to make a number keypad and not make it like the standard 10 key(1-3 top line, 4-6 second line, 7-9 third line and 0 below the 8) this mess has 1-4 first line, 5-8 second line and finally 9 and 0 on the last line rolleyes.gif
post #44 of 3677 Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The problem appears to be spanning midnight. The workaround is two recordings, one stopping at 2359, the other starting at 0000.
Where I work, there is no such thing as midnight. It's either 2359 or 0001 to remove any confusion about when one day ends and the other begins. wink.gif

I have updated post 26 with that and a couple of other additions.

post #45 of 3677 Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem appears to be spanning midnight. The workaround is two recordings, one stopping at 2359, the other starting at 0000.
Where I work, there is no such thing as midnight. It's either 2359 or 0001 to remove any confusion about when one day ends and the other begins. wink.gif

I have updated post 26 with that and a couple of other additions.

Were you aware of the midnight bug? I should reread your OP, you've probably added a lot since I first read it smile.gif
The only problem with your work around is you'll lose the one minute between 23:59 and 00:00 which may be OK for something like Jimmy Kimmel(what I was trying to schedule) but not so much for something like a movie. I should probably note this issue on Amazon, if you haven't already.......it could be a deal breaker for some.
post #46 of 3677 Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

videobruce, a couple thoughts you might want to incorporate in your nice OP?
Quote:

12. Adjustable volume and mute, but not for HDMI set to 'Raw' audio,
You might want to note that setting audio to Raw enables 5.1 surround from HDMI output, this feature(ability to output 5.1 from HDMI) is a plus.
Quote:

17. ...The photos section didn't display some .jpg's for some unknown reason. It had no problem with .ts files from DVD's.
I've also had this happen numerous times, glad it's not just me smile.gif Also some photos have actually locked up my iView, requiring unplugging it(I don't know why either).
Quote:

18. Choice of RF pass through (loop through) when powered up or modulated RF ch 3 or 4 (NTSC) for old school TV sets with no a/v inputs,
I see you've noted "when powered up" but but maybe you might want to stress, NO RF pass through when off? It's kind of a odd thing and might be worth stressing.
Quote:

Notable issues;
4.... There is also a problem using the GMT offset which can be off by one hour.
Again I thought that was just effecting me, I think?? it may have to do with DST? I have my iView set to NYC(ET) to get the correct time, even though I live in the central time zone.
post #47 of 3677 Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Were you aware of the midnight bug?
No. I normally wouldn't record at that time span. Some how or another I thought I read about a similar problem with another DVR during my research for the comparison.confused.gif
Quote:
setting audio to Raw enables 5.1 surround from HDMI output, this feature(ability to output 5.1 from HDMI) is a plus.
Something the VRX doesn't have.
Quote:
Also some photos have actually locked up my iView, requiring unplugging it
Excessive file size in MB and/or dimensions??
Quote:
NO RF pass through when off
I will re-word it.
Quote:
I have my iView set to NYC(ET) to get the correct time, even though I live in the central time zone.
There is no Atlantic Zone (if that is what it is called) choice so I can't do that. I think someone just screwed up.

post #48 of 3677 Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I did a timer test recording last night, 23:30 to 00:05, I used a low bitrate SD channel because I thought I might know what would happen......and sure enough it did!
When I checked the iView at 7:00 this morning it was still recording rolleyes.gif I had a title that was 7 1/2 hrs long(~10 GB is size), obviously my previous OSD warning was correct and my guess is this 35 minute test would have probably recorded for a week!
Because of this I suggest for anyone to never span(or even crossover to) midnight. The best you can do(unless they fix this issue) is to schedule 2 events, one to end at 23:59 and the next to pick up at 00:00 and yes, you will miss the one minute from 23:59 to 00:00 but unless you want to manually stop your recording or let it record all night, thats just the way this thing works. Buyer beware smile.gif
Hopefully this will get fixed with a firmware update and if it does I'll update this post(but I'm not holding my breath wink.gif)
post #49 of 3677 Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
When I checked the iView at 7:00 this morning it was still recording I had a title that was 7 1/2 hrs long
My guess would be the system doesn't know that 0005 is the next day, it thinks it is in the future. I wonder if you kept it recording past midnight of the next day it would stop? Actually, the fact you can't record anything else tells me it might think it is the same day next week as in 0005 next Saturday.

post #50 of 3677 Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.... Actually, the fact you can't record anything else tells me it might think it is the same day next week as in 0005 next Saturday.
I would agree with that guess.........unfortunately I'm not going to let it record for a full week, can you imagine the size of the event if it were set to a full bandwidth CBS channel eek.gif
Unfortunately one of my main uses for this was to record the occasional Jimmy Kimmel when my Tivo is recording two other events on at the same time(and both also span midnight frown.gif)
In my market Kimmel ends at 12:02 am rolleyes.gif so I think I'll just try and get by without the last 2 minutes.....this will be OK until he has a musical guest on that I like, which tend to run right to the end frown.gif ABC really ticks me off with their weird start/stop times, they do it all the time during primetime too which makes it problomatic when needing to change the channel for another event on another channel mad.gif

edit: BTW what the heck is up with Amazon! I can no longer add a link(or even just the address) to my review mad.gif I wanted to draw attention to this thread but found no way to list anything even like a address!
post #51 of 3677 Old 04-07-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
unfortunately I'm not going to let it record for a full week
No, I mean try it for just one day.

post #52 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night was supposed to be my first programming event that I actually wanted to watch.........it didn't record mad.gif
When I checked the iView this morning it was ON(which was not a good sign since I had left it off and it should have turned itself OFF after my 23:00-23:59 event). It was tuned to a SD channel(the one I left it on but not the one that was supposed to record) but nothing had recorded. The event was off the list but the oddest thing was my next event(tonight at the same time, same bat channel). Everything looked OK except the channel. The name was blank and the number was bogus, something like 24531 eek.gif When I went into edit mode to change it, I could not, nothing worked to clear or change it to something valid. I was able to delete the scheduled event and I programmed another event for tonight and tomorrow night, same times.
We'll see how it works tonight but for my first real event to fail is not a good sign......I've had my Tivo HD for 4+ years and have NEVER had a event failure. Ya I know the two devices are in a totally different class but at the least I'd like the iView to record what I set it up for.....hopefully this was a one time event and won't happen again but I won't be using it to record any one time important events, at not until it's actually got a large handful of successful events under it's belt. Stay tuned........ biggrin.gif
post #53 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
it should have turned itself OFF after my 23:00-23:59 event
These do not always go back into standby after a recording. At least mine hasn't. I haven't seen a pattern yet.

(corrected standby state)

post #54 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for all of the great information. I just ordered one of these to check it out. My Windows Media Center PC died about a week ago and I need a replacement to record HDTV OTA. I have been DVRing since ReplayTV and have gone through multiple devices over the years.

I have also been trying out simple.tv. But that is also a newer product and is not yet mature enough to recommend, costs more, and depends on factors such as their web site to schedule and play recordings.

With the i-View 3500STB I am a bit concerned about:

* Scheduled recordings and not going back to sleep and/or unreliable recordings
* The inability to watch a previously recorded show when another show is recording. May be able to get around this by buying 2 i-View 3500STB's and swapping hard drives. Basically use one i-View 3500STB only as a playback device.

I'll see if I have anything to add to this thread after I receive my unit and get it set up. It's amazing what this little box can do for the price.
post #55 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Not returning back to standby with this isn't critical. It surely isn't a power hog like older DVR's were. Watch & record in this price range isn't realistic. wink.gif

post #56 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Watch & record in this price range isn't realistic. wink.gif

Until this box came out a sub $50 STB with DVR functions wasn't realistic either smile.gif

The issue is more how to work around the limitation of not being able to watch and record when you are accustomed to doing so. Most of the shows that my household watches are on during prime time (8pm - 11pm). We DVR everything and rarely watch the show in the time slot when it is being recorded. Prime Time is also when we are generally want to watch what has been recorded. So I need to figure out how we are going to watch what has already been recorded while recording more content. Likely two of these STB's, two hard drives, and swapping the drives around may work. Another option may be to set up each of the two units to record on staggered schedules.

First I want to see if this STB is usable before buying more than one. It's also going to be an adjustment to move from scheduling a 'season' recording with one click in the program guide to going back in time to a VCR (not even VCR+) model of manually scheduling recordings, dealing with re-runs, show time changes, etc.

Another challenge will be to operate the correct unit with the remote if both are stacked together. May need to cover the remote receiver of the unit that is recording vs. the unit that is being used for play back.
post #57 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Not returning back to standby with this isn't critical. It surely isn't a power hog like older DVR's were.

Although if you purchase 2 units to have 'dual tuner' capabilities it becomes more of an issue. Apx. 10 watts each running including the USB attached hard drive power draw. So for 2 units it's at 20 watts which is not horrible but 1 watt for each STB in standby is better.
post #58 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I did two 'midnight ' recordings. The 1st 30 minutes (15 before, 15 minutes after midnight). The 2nd was five before and 5 minutes after.

Take a look at the file sizes. The 1st attempt, recoding was stopped when I checked around 1pm the next day. I didn't think it took, I didn't look.
The 2nd attempt, when I checked around 11am had that gray bar with a 7' 47" record time, but no flashing yellow light. I stopped it and took a look at both files. have a look here. Note the files sizes of both. eek.gif

post #59 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

andydrew;
Why not look elsewhere? Adding the cost of a 2nd HDD brings this into other territory that allows playback & dual recordings. wink.gif

post #60 of 3677 Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:

andydrew;
Why not look elsewhere? Adding the cost of a 2nd HDD brings this into other territory that allows playback & dual recordings. wink.gif

Yes, the more I think about this the more it seems to be problematic. I need to look closer at the ePVision PHD-VRX. Tivo is not going to be viable for me with the high cost and the higher 24x7 energy consumption. I don't see that there are any other viable options per your informative DVR comparison.

The way the electric rates are structured in Tijuana Mexico there is a huge penalty to be consuming more than 250 kWh per month. Adding a Tivo that will contribute 25 kWh to my bill each month may be enough to put me over 250 kWh per month which is going to roughly double my electric bill each month.

EDIT - after looking more closely at the updated list of DVR's I see that the DVICO TViX M6620N is another possible option for me. In fact, I ordered one.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page