36Likes

post #631 of 3905 Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It would be nice if they had better priorities. A time-based DVR is useless if its timers don't work, so they should spend less time working on the guide menu and more time making the timers function correctly, both in terms of making recurring ones adhere to the correct schedule and in allowing the unit to record beyond midnight.

Exactly. "Daily" should mean every day, not every 6th day, and "weekly" should record on Monday this week, and on Monday next week, and again the week after. My only work around has been to edit every program once it is done recording.

That said, it's still better than not recording at all.

Cache Valley, UT TV news: http://cachefreetv.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3905 Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

It's an all in one 1980's gaming console, HD tuner, and video recorder (which works part of the time). I'm at least getting some enjoyment out of my $38.97. smile.gif

I look at it that way - it's a nice toy.
Take some comfort, also, in the fact that you got it for $38.97. It's now $47.46. I guess we get a discount for being beta testers. Maybe the price will go up even more when (if?) they finally get the firmware right.
bdfox18doe likes this.

Cache Valley, UT TV news: http://cachefreetv.blogspot.com
post #633 of 3905 Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM

troydog....

Thanks for the amazon link with photos.
For some reason I thought you were referring to a amazon forum dedicated to the HomeWorx box.

Now that I have confirmed the Intertek Mark registration number, I will send the photo to Intertek and see what they come up with.

Will post results here.
post #634 of 3905 Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well, all the recordings I did today on non-double searching "hiccup" stations came off without a hitch. I did back to back recordings on different channels simply to see if it would have problems, but it didn't. Since I have two sources of all the major networks it will work for me as long as it records the non "hiccup" stations reliably. It would certainly be great if they could get that fixed though.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #635 of 3905 Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 11
Does anyone else find that, in the Cable mode, the record feature only allows selection of channels at the beginning of the list? It almost seems like any viewable channel before a double-digit sub-channel are bookable..

Eg: I have BHN in Orlando. Clear QAM channels are 79, 80, 81, 83, 86, 87, 121. I have viewable channels such as:
79-1, 79-2, 79-3, 79-4, 79-11, 79-12
80-1, 80-2, 80-3, 80-11, 80-12
etc...

I can book a recording only for channels 79-1 through 79-4 and 79-11. 79-12 and all other channels are not offered through the left-right selection process. Also the channels offered going left are different then those offered going right.

I've tried this on firmware v4, v6, and v7. I've used both automatic and manual methods for gathering viewable channels. I haven't tried Over-the-Air mode so I can't speak to how that behaves. I'm planning to try Over-the-Air, but I'm lacking a decent antenna right now.

-Paul
post #636 of 3905 Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
can not wait to see who is making the HomeWorx . i did see on the forum over at there main site a admin post working on a firmware update for there box.
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/
post #637 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, new to the forum. I'm sure like many others, found this place by Google.

I had been looking for a converter and found this place prior to purchase, read about some of the shortcomings of the device, and decided I could live with them. The ability to "timeshift" and "PVR" ability are sort of over-the-top for this price range.

I live in a University apartment. There is a local cable service provided by the U, and it went digital earlier this month. I was not aware that over-the-air and cable (QAM) are different, which is why I was seeking this box. The U never provided a cable box and they're not about to now, so this is an unscrambled digital cable broadcast. I imagine the number of people in a similar situation is relatively rare, as I do not know of a commercial cable provider that does not provide a box now.

Anyway, I was sampling the PVR capability. It seems that the unit will record to 20:09 (20 minutes, 9 seconds) and then the recording simply hangs. I am using and old SDTV and I have the unit set accordingly, so I am under the impression that the RECORDING is thusly SD and 480i.

Has anybody else been limited to 20:09 (or thereabouts) in their recordings? I am using 16GB USB flash stick, which I assume should be good for many hours, so I'm not out of space.

As well, my university cable provider does NOT provide a program guide, so I am not able to select programs to record from there. The iview manual clearly states that TIMER recording is a feature, but I am unable to locate that option in the menu! I have looked and looked, repeatedly. The only recording I am able to do is "instant" by pressing the REC key - and as I have mentioned, that seems to stop at 20:09.

I didn't really buy the thing expecting too much, but it's a real nuisance that the recording (1) is limited to 20:09, and (2) can't be pre-programmed with a timer like an old-fashioned VCR. I can live without the on-screen guide, but it sure would be nice to be able to set a timer recording. The PVR thing is just a novelty and of no practical use, unless I can resolve my difficulties.

Here's my unit's info. Perhaps my firmware needs updating?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
post #638 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 13
Gee, the first thing you might do is start a page 1 of this forum and start reading. You'll find lots of great info about all the points you've mentioned.

dave
post #639 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 AM

Yeah, I spent a couple hours doing that, and didn't see a specific answer to my query. I'm not new to FORUMS, just to this one.

Perhaps you can point to this information, or someone?
post #640 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjl View Post

Yeah, I spent a couple hours doing that, and didn't see a specific answer to my query. I'm not new to FORUMS, just to this one.

Perhaps you can point to this information, or someone?

How is your USB flash drive formatted? If it's FAT-32, then the max file size is 2GB. How big are the files being created?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #641 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 AM

In my limited experience with these stb's, I believe they record at whatever rate the incoming signal provides. A 16g stick should record roughly 3 hours at 1080i in my experience. I would guess there is a formatting issue that you may be able to fix under the pvr configuration menu.
I have tested with an 8gb stick. It only hang on the last recording when it ran out of space. Attached a passport drive 500gb and have tested recordings of several hours no problems so far but plenty of drive space left.
videobruce likes this.
post #642 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
WS76811 Wrote in Reply To woodjl:
How is your USB flash drive formatted? If it's FAT-32, then the max file size is 2GB. How big are the files being created?

I've used a 4Gb USB drive formatted FAT-32 and the 3500 breaks the recording into consecutive 512MB files.
Read My Post #469
Sorry no idea why you can not record more than 20 minutes,

Regarding How To Schedule A Recording Not From The EPG Listings:

You should be able to go to the "Schedule" page and from there select "Add" and then edit the information shown to suit your needs. Don't remember exactly where the "Schedule button" was on the Version 3 firmware you have. You should consider flashing the 3500 to a later firmware revision. Most say V4 was the most stable. V6 uses the "Hold" button to bring up the "Schedule Page". V7 just released.... Oh Whooopi. now has some lame video game appended to the interface. And... maybe some improvements to the EPG listings. That you can not utilize anyways,
post #643 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Posts 2 & 4 updated.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #644 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM

I have had 2 hard lockups with V7 where the iView froze while in the guide and then when I pushed the power button nothing happened.
I just waited and it shut down but there were no lights on the front at all. When I pushed the power button the HD light come on but the iView did not start.
I pulled the plug and it started back up , so now I am using V6
Jo
post #645 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You might be better off with V4 since more issues were reported with V6.

I just got off the phone with iView asking about what was suppose to be addressed with the update. I was told the recording issues, not the Guide. I haven't tried any recordings, but there are definite differences with the Guide. I did ask, in the future if a list of changes could be provided so we know what or what not to look for. He said it will be done.
He also re-stated the tuner chip seems to be a major issue causing many of the problems. I expressed I felt it may be memory issues, where old data doesn't get erased properly and conflicts with the current conditions.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #646 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM

I think the guide also is a lot faster with v7 no matter what iview says this update did help the guide. Can this box use the harddrive and or flash drive as swap memory? I know it does not now but could iview maybe in a update do sort of like roku box does and use the usb as storage for guide date and such. In turn if guide date was stored on a usb device then maybe the box could free some of its overflow memory.
post #647 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle2 View Post

Sorry no idea why you can not record more than 20 minutes

My wild guess would be that 20 minutes is how long it takes for the flash drive to overheat and stop working, due to excessive writing. Some flash drives aren't even fast enough to record 1080i, so he's probably working his much harder than it was designed for by recording to it. A top-of-the-line flash drive designed for speed might eliminate the problem, but it won't solve the inherent flaws in NAND memory that make flash drives ill-suited for DVRs.
videobruce likes this.
post #648 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 PM

V7 woes. I went ahead and updated to V7. The EPG does seem faster but some of the buttons no longer work. The Aspect and Info while watching a station results in nothing. And the lights have changed. When on now the bright 'hold' light is on. Not really sure what it's holding.

OK - there are TONS of bugs with V7. The INFO button does not work - so your book list can only be accessed by trying to record over an existing book and then backing out when it says there is a conflict. In EPG there is no indication that you have the show booked, adding to confusion. Hells Kitchen is coming up and I have set a book for it - just to see what happens. The clock - still pretty darn confusing. GMT -6 is currently GMT-5 to match the current time for Central US. No big deal but I think V7 might have been rushed. Says TEST so I won't really complain. Update at your own risk.
post #649 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM

Aleron Ives Commented Regarding woodjl's problem of only recording 20 minutes with a USB Drive
Quote:
My wild guess would be that 20 minutes is how long it takes for the flash drive to overheat and stop working, due to excessive writing. Some flash drives aren't even fast enough to record 1080i,

That might be his problem. Perhaps woodjl will comment further.

My recordings using a USB drive were with a Sandisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive 4GB.
A quality drive and is or was one of the better ones available.
I hand no issues with the recordings of SD programming. HD recordings are a different story.
They record but not viewable, so yes the USB type memory is not fast enough for HD.
post #650 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM

An interesting minor bug is in the NTFS implementation, it doesn't correctly date stamp files, but the file name contains the correct date.

Eg: I made a recording tonight at 20:00 on PR10011, here is the entry for that recording (on my Linux box):
-rwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 2680163328 Jun 22 2033 PR10011-06272013-2000.mts

I'm running the v7 firmware. The box certainly gets high marks from me on recording quality.

I'd place a lot of effort on getting the time and date pieces of the whole system working correctly. That's pretty fundamental to everything in consumer products.
Ben Walker likes this.
post #651 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Ok. I think v7 is a preview of a possible rc upgrade. Where is the schedule button on the remotes currently? Under v7 the repeat button is doing what the info button should do. Just noting. Not complaining. Flashing back to stable because the scheduled recording did not wake the tuner. But hdd came out of sleep.
post #652 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 PM

info button is no longer used for info but for the . like 6.1 and so on

repeat is info

HOLD is schedule button

They changed the remote around due to lack of no . button
videobruce likes this.
post #653 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 PM

Wish clock worked and the remote was not so confusing chasing that elusive (.)
post #654 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 PM

On a good note, the pvr on this thing is stunning. Even on a 60" samsung smart led. Better than satellite. Slightly on par with hd iptv
post #655 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
A top-of-the-line flash drive designed for speed might eliminate the problem, but it won't solve the inherent flaws in NAND memory that make flash drives ill-suited for DVRs.
But, these Joe Sixpacks still think the easy way will work. rolleyes.gif

post #656 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by troydog View Post

GOTO is schedule button

I haven't upgraded to v7 yet. Did they change the schedule button location again? The last update renamed the HOLD button to schedule.
post #657 of 3905 Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Walker View Post

On a good note, the pvr on this thing is stunning. Even on a 60" samsung smart led. Better than satellite. Slightly on par with hd iptv

You're recording OTA right? Yes, better than satellite, and better (slightly) than IPTV. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between CBS O&O 1080i HD and 4K "Ultra" HD. Unfortunately these boxes will be worthless boat anchors when ATSC 3.0 is adopted. Okay, they will work as media players.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #658 of 3905 Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 AM

Oh sorry about that should be hold is schedule button. Darn little font hard to read on this remote got them mixed up.
post #659 of 3905 Old 06-28-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Unfortunately these boxes will be worthless boat anchors when ATSC 3.0 is adopted.
How about V2?? I won't hold by breath on either. Another colossal waste of time & money. One would think this was the military. rolleyes.gif

post #660 of 3905 Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

You're recording OTA right? Yes, better than satellite, and better (slightly) than IPTV. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between CBS O&O 1080i HD and 4K "Ultra" HD. Unfortunately these boxes will be worthless boat anchors when ATSC 3.0 is adopted. Okay, they will work as media players.

Yes, completely OTA in a very limited market. For a media player I don't think there could be a better alternative. The tuner is OK, but the media playback is really where this shines. Amazing they hardly mention that feature...

If I can get a year out of it I will not feel cheated on the tuner.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page