post #721 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Nickle2,

If you go back and check, the last time I brought my complaints (most recent) was because someone was eschewing the virtues of the IView3500. I was only responding with my version of the truth when it comes to this product. Perhaps I do sound like a broken record but I don't just post this stuff for no reason. I want people considering this product to hear from all owners. Not just from those who think it is a great deal for $50 but also those who think it is not all that great a deal for $50. By the way I paid less which made it somewhat cheaper but also still a product that is lacking in many, many areas.

I also think that the only reason some of us are so soft on this unit is that there isn't much out there to choose from. If there was this unit would be DOA.
WS65711 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Dave95 Wrote....
Quote:
Annoyance: when setting up a recording there is a Mode option (View or Record). Seems kind of redundant that you have to specify Record when you are in fact setting up a recording......

I think the reason they have the"View or Record" Option is because if you schedule a program in advance and you just want to watch it, the 3500 will turn on (if off) select the channel and show the program without it being recorder. Not sure but it should turn off the 3500 after the program ends.

Might also be of some benefit if you have a program scheduled to record in the same time slot (but different station) that way you do not get an invalid entry when you set up the timed event. I would have to put some thought into that one:confused:

Is this something that needs to be added to the list???
post #723 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM

climber92......
Quote:
Really, at this point I would be happy with everything that V7 has as long as it recorded scheduled events consistently---So far mine just records the first time only.

Ok I will add this to the list.

You have experience this problem even after up grade to V7.

You can not schedule daily and/or weekely program recordings.
The first event records but does not record the next day or the next week.
post #724 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Liked: 13
Is that because, after the first recording, that it changes the day for the next recoding to 6 days (daily recording) or 12 days (weekly recording) later?
post #725 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 409
The main use for a "viewing" timer, IMO, is to prevent a time-based DVR from shutting itself off when a recording is finished, assuming you're going to want to use it shortly afterwards and don't want to go through the boot sequence first.
post #726 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 PM

The RECORD or VIEW option

Maybe that is why they call it "Book" when you hit OK from the Program Guide screen.
You are not just setting-up a recording you are "booking an event".
That event being either a VIEWING or a RECORDING event.
post #727 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
The latest version of firmware now has RECORD as the default, I'm happy because I believe before that I missed a few events because I forgot to change that option from it's default VIEW. IMO they could just do away with that while option
That is on my list. Unneeded feature, one more thing to toggle through.

Quote:
You are not just setting-up a recording you are "booking an event"
No, you are scheduling, airline tickets and hotel rooms get "booked". wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #728 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 PM

Homeworx HW-150PVR Get's Up-graded Firmware

Just picked this off the HomeWorx Forum
This was posted yesterday:

They have the same problems over there, as we do.
Looks like somebody has managed to correct a couple of issues.
At least we know it must be possible.
post #729 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You are not just setting-up a recording you are "booking an event"
No, you are scheduling, airline tickets and hotel rooms get "booked". wink.gif

Oh, I agree with you completely. I don't like the terminology either.
I was just trying to figure out their rationale for calling it "booking " instead of just Recording since you do have a choice of scheduling to View an event or to Record an event.

To me it does not matter if I have the option. What matters is that "View" not be the default choice. That was a positive change.
post #730 of 3868 Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HomeWorx box I might have to buy one and open it up I want to see whats inside that box.

Close caption on the 3500 need some work bad, They work just ugly as heck and hard to read with letters dropped lower then others.
post #731 of 3868 Old 07-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Liked: 11
In my experience with v7, in Cable / Clear QAM mode, it will only record from the station in the first slot.

Ie: Set a program to record, say on channel "PR10011" and it shows up as expected and works fine. Then change the order of the channels so that PR50011 is now in the #1 slot, the original program channel changes to PR50011 and when the proper time/date arrive, the program on PR50011 is what is recorded.

I've also found that, over time, all the XX-NN channels have changed to 7-NN, which is weird but the labels PRxxxxxx have stayed consistent, so not a huge issue.

Still experience the 6/12 day booking shift instead of 1/7 day shift.

Still excellent video quality for viewing and recording smile.gif
post #732 of 3868 Old 07-04-2013, 02:48 PM

kronenpj9 Submitted Entry For V7 Problems
Quote:
In my experience with v7, in Cable / Clear QAM mode, it will only record from the station in the first slot.

Ie: Set a program to record, say on channel "PR10011" ...........

Thanks!
I have added this to the list.
Quote:
Still experience the 6/12 day booking shift instead of 1/7 day shift.
Thanks Again. This problem is apparently on-going from the very first firmware version and was already on the list.
post #733 of 3868 Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Liked: 16
I have been scheduling multiple recordings and they have been recorded correctly. I am OTA, I think someone else had the problem of only the first one recorded and the rest did not, I think that was not OTA recordings. I also did a "default reset" after ver 7. My 3500 just recorded another 2 hour session, shut down and is waiting for the next schedule.
post #734 of 3868 Old 07-04-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
johnnyrw2 commented:
I have been scheduling multiple recordings and they have been recorded correctly. I am OTA,

Please try scheduling a recording that spans midnight. Something like 23:00 to 00:30 (1130 PM to 12:30 AM)
This is where I and others have had problems.
What I have seen is that the recording happens but the 3500 does not stop recording and does not turn off.

You also might try setting up a daily and weekly schedule. I'm pretty certain this still does not work correctly.

Can You Delete Sub-Channels?

Do you have problems deleting sub channels under a main channel you want to retain? Only on certain stations can I get this to work correctly. On the other stations they get deleted but always come back into the channel line-up. I'm not certain if this is common to only OTA reception or not. Seems rather strange that different stations behave differently On any other ATSC tuner I have this is not an issue.
Anyone else notice this happening?
Any one with cable experience this happening?
post #735 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 04:14 AM

I set up the schedule as shown, the first “daily” schedule recorded. However I see the date jumped to 11 after the first recording this morning, now I understand what has been said about this before. I have scheduled multiple recordings before and they have worked, but yesterday I had two scheduled and only the first 2 hour schedule recorded. I am not sure if it was “pilot error” or 3500 so now I will take screen shots to confirm programming. I will report this afternoon if all the today schedules record.

This is version 7

post #736 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 AM

I have installed ver 4 on my second 3500 and "default restore". I programmed it to the same as the first which has ver 7 except the time of the daily schedule so as to see what happens after the first recording.
It is hard for me to remember what goes on with the three versions I have used, by doing screen shots and writing down the results will help considerably.

This is verion 4

post #737 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Try some 'weekly' recordings.

Another firmware version is looming. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #738 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Another firmware version is looming. wink.gif

"Interesting" choice of words there Bruce.."looming: (of an event regarded as ominous or threatening)"...tongue.gif

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #739 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, I'll go with that. tongue.gif

Post 5 updated regarding temperature concerns.

post #740 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 AM

The second scheduled recording recorded on both ver 4 and ver 7, will post this afternoon if all record. I have been think about yesterdays recording of only the first schedule recorded and not the second. If it was "pilot error" it could have occurred this way because I believe the schedule was correct, I did access the hard drive by removing the 3500 usb to hard drive and connecting the pc usb to the hard drive. I could have forgot to re-hook the 3500 back before the recording was scheduled. I will after the present schedule is completed re-do the two yesterday schedules and see what happens. This all may be for naught as it sounds like ver 8 is coming, VB sounded encouraging about ver 8.

post #741 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Ok, I'll go with that. tongue.gif

Post 5 updated regarding temperature concerns.

The highest temperature on the main board is 150 degrees with a room temperature of 75 degrees, recording.. But, temperatures of the PS are very high with a drive powered. I'm getting inconsistency of the readings depending on the angle and direction I aim the IR thermometer. Unfortunately, I don't have a 2nd IR thermometer I can measure with to compare.The highest reading has been 215 degrees. That is way too high AFAIC. The area of concern is around that large xformer towards the front (lower right in the photo). The obvious solution is a fan, but there is no switched 12v available, so it would run 24/7 since the 5 & 14 volt lines of the PS are always hot. The only way would be to use a thermistor so the fan only runs when it needs to. Anyone chime in on this?

The small 5vdc fan I installed on my second 3500, see a previous post and picture, keeps the cabinet hardly above an ambient of 79 degrees when powering a HD. Running the fan constant 24 hours a day 365 days a year will only cost less than 39 cents for the whole year at 10 cents per KWH. I could devise something to cycle the fan but I just don't think it is worth it.
post #742 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's surely not any issue on power use, it's the fact more dust will be blown through the enclosure. If you are constantly using it, it may be ok, but for occasional use, that won't fly.

post #743 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Thoughts Regarding Temperature Concerns

If one wanted to install a small fan there is a very simple way to control that fan to where it only runs when needed.
Two companies I know of manufacture a very small bi-metal thermal cut-out switch that is designed to mount on heat sinks and or close to any heat generating component.
Cantherm.com (part number F20-E06) and uchiya.co.jp (part number OP-7) Cantherm can be purchased from Digikey.com
Wire the fan in series with this switch and when the temp rises the fan runs until the temp lowers These are available in N/O and N/C versions.

I would not run a 5 volt fan off the 5 volt side off the power supply. This is the leg that already has over heating problems. Small 12vdc fans are readily available.

Another approach..... I have just ordered a higher rated SCHOTTKY diode (100V 8A verses the original 100V 3A) this larger diode is in a TO-22- package that will take a small heat sink. I am hoping this will handle the current requirements better and not cause any heat issues. The original diode D2, is the component that generates the largest amount of heat on the PS when a HD is powered via the USB port.

I agree that a fan running 24/7 only serves to turn the case into a small vacuum cleaner that collects dust. Dust that collects on all other components and causes overheating

The best approach would be to power your HD externally. But you should make sure that the HD enclosure powers off the HD when it is not being used.
post #744 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I would not run a 5 volt fan off the 5 volt side off the power supply. This is the leg that already has over heating problems.
I already thought about that being the easiest way, but surely not with a HDD running off that. W/O a HDD it could be viable.

post #745 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM

I did the below due to the pressure VB gave me.smile.gif

There are many ways to skin the cat, this is the way I have done it.

As I stated before, the fan is only running at about 75 ma. The hard drive usb requirements that I am aware of is 500 ma to 1000 ma. I doubt the 75 ma is going to cause a problem.

I installed a 5vdc miniature relay, used the +5vdc feeding the USB to operate the relay coil and energize the fan. So now the fan comes on only when the 3500 is powered up. The relay coil is drawing only .03 ma.

BTW, for some information on the fan installation; The fan is rated at 1.8 CFM (cubic feet per minute) in free air, but I estimate it is providing about 1.5 cfm with the SP (static pressure) drop of the enclosure. So that provides an air change rate inside the enclosure of about one complete air change every second. With the air moving that fast through the enclosure and no small restrictions, I doubt there will be a dust problem.

Also with the air change rate above, the components will not get hot with the fan running so you only have to consider the electrical parameters of the components and I covered that above.
post #746 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Nickle2,

Your posts are great but I would like to remind you that the IVew 3500 is $50 because it has only 1 tuner, a really cheap remote and NO hard drive. In fact at one point I owned 4 different converter boxes and I would say their remotes were 10 times better in quality and functionality. Tell me if you see other like similar items out there for more money? No. Seeing as you buy this and have to supply your own hard drive and you get one tuner I think most people would expect this to provide fewer issues and more common sense functionality. In fact as a converter box this would really suck compared to what was out there.

By the way I am not coming from the VCR. I am coming from the PALDVR. I have 2 that are on summer vacation and I am using the IView during the summer. I paid $200 for the DTVPALS and I got 2 tuners and a 250 GB hard drive. I also had the ability to watch a recording and record 2 show at the same time. I got a lot more functionality with the program guide and many other features lacking in the IVIEW. The remote puts the IVIEW remote to shame. Yes that is why it was a good deal for $200 and that is why the IView for $50 is nothing to brag about. I'm ok with paying $50 as it is just what it is. It is not a quality or serious DVR. It has lots of issues and I am not going to give it a pass because it is $50. The firmware should be programmed to fix as many issues as possible and I don't see the owners of this company being reputable at all selling a product that hangs up or has totally bogus displays and functionality. If this product was reviewed by Consumer Reports it would get blasted. This would never get the Good HouseKeeping Seal etc..

Sure compared to some others it works. But since when are we satisfied with products that are really poor quality? We all suffer if we let companies off the hook for selling crap.

Consumer Reports would blast it? They wouldn't even review it, what would they compare it to? We don't have many choices, do we? Really, the only other viable option available in the USA is the Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - which is currently unavailable, costs nearly $400, and has its own set of problems. I don't need anything fancy, I just need a "Digital VCR".

If iview could just fix the recording timers - a simple firmware fix - I could live with the other shortcomings. And a universal learning remote takes care of all the complaints you have about the remote.
climber92 likes this.

Cache Valley, UT TV news: http://cachefreetv.blogspot.com
post #747 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I installed a 5vdc miniature relay, used the +5vdc feeding the USB to operate the relay coil and energize the fan.
Still using the 5v feed or the 14v?

post #748 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Still using the 5v feed or the 14v?

The connector from the power supply circuit board has five wires, two black, two red (5vdc) and one white wire (13.14vdc). I would definitely not put anything on the white wire 13.14vdc. The fan is 5vdc.
btw I am running a test, I am recording and plan to record for about 8 hours. So far the temperatures are such:
The hottest hole outlet I can find is where it would be expected, on a side opening of the power supply about middle of the enclosure, not on the top.
The air coming out of the openings on the processor side are only running about 8-9 degrees above ambient, not a factor at all.
The amperage rating on the hard drive I am using is .60 amps.

Here are the readings so far on the P/S side:

................. amb(in)... out
+15 min.....81.1........94.7
+30 min.....81.3....... 97.4
+60 min.....81.7....... 98.8
+90 min.....81.9....... 98.4

You can see the fan is keeping it cool, almost just the temperature of your hand. I doubt any of the components are over 110 degrees.
I believe the temperatures have stabilized and will not change much at all unless I let the ambient increase.
post #749 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 05:51 PM

I posted this question a couple of time already.
No one has commented on this one yet.
I'm wondering if it needs to be added to the list of problems.

Can You Delete Sub-Channels?
Do you have problems deleting sub channels under a main channel you want to retain? Only on certain stations can I get this to work correctly. On the other stations they get deleted but always come back into the channel line-up. I'm not certain if this is common to only OTA reception or not. Seems rather strange that different stations behave differently
On any other ATSC tuner I have, this is not the case. I delete and they are gone.

Anyone else notice this happening?

Any one with cable experience this happening?
post #750 of 3868 Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Power Supply Heat Concerns

That large diode I keep talking about should not get as has hot as it does. Something is under rated That diode is rated at 100V volt 3 Amp One would think that with that rating there would not be a over heating problem.
Especially considering what is being powered.

I will let you know the outcome of changing out the original diode when it arrives next week. The higher ratings on the replacement diode should help on it's own without needing a heatsink or a fan.

A fan on a device has it's place. But when a single component like this diode, gets hotter than it should there is another problem (possibly due to a wrong component being spec'd as in being being under rated). and with adding a fan, the original problem is not being addressed.

Adding a relay to the 5 volt output of the USB port might not be a great idea. The current supplied by the USB 2 connector seems to be barely adequate for running a SATA 2.5" HD. and the SATA to USB converter circuit. It's a shame that we don't have USB v3. Even better would be a direct SATA data and power connecter on the main board. Two more items for the "Wish List" wink.gif

Dust Bunnies Anyone
I work in an industry where I service many Closed Circuit PC based DVR's and NVR's. These run 24/7, 356 day a year and not always in the best of environments, They are in commercial rack mount cases with a large case fan, a filter and a heavy duty PC power supply. It is amazing how much dust can accumulate inside these cases. Not sure if it a static charge or what, but for some reason dust is attracted to and adheres to everything in the case. This happens In spite of the filter and that the air flows through the case in an engineered manor. Dust retains heat and heat is detrimental to electronics.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page