Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #91 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks JJEFF and all for responding,
Yes basically use it as a tuner to the PC. I would think it would not be a problem playing back a recording through VLC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 AM

Thanks Videobruce,

I presently use a small digital tuner and feed the video to a Star Tech converter which outputs to the usb port for viewing in VLC. It would be nice to use the higher resolution from the Iview tuner and skip the lower resolution Star tech converter.
post #93 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Sounds like a lot of trouble just to watch TV.
If you just want to watch TV on your PC, get a tuner card.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #94 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I can try running a USB cable to my PC this evening, found a 10' cable at work that I'll bring home for the testing.
post #95 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM

Well..................I already had the tuner and three Star Techs from another project and if the iView would work it would be a lot more versatile and less expensive than a good HD tuner card.
post #96 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I can try running a USB cable to my PC this evening, found a 10' cable at work that I'll bring home for the testing.

In VLC check: Media - Stream - Capture Device - Capture mode

Thanks
post #97 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrw2 View Post

Thanks Videobruce,

I presently use a small digital tuner and feed the video to a Star Tech converter which outputs to the usb port for viewing in VLC. It would be nice to use the higher resolution from the Iview tuner and skip the lower resolution Star tech converter.

Correction, not viewing in VLC software but the Star tech software and which can record and take snapshots.
post #98 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

In VLC check: Media - Stream - Capture Device - Capture mode

Thanks

Thinking more...............Dangerous

If the iView can output a signal (video) to a hard drive thru usb, could it instead output the video to the usb to be viewed on the pc thru VLC when in the Record mode?? Most likely something is wrong with this thinking but....................................
post #99 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Thinking more...............Dangerous

If the iView can output a signal (video) to a hard drive thru usb, could it instead output the video to the usb to be viewed on the pc thru VLC when in the Record mode?? Most likely something is wrong with this thinking but....................................

Video is not output as a "signal", like composite or even HDMI. USB mass storage is a two-way protocol, and if you get a USB A-to-A cable and attempt to plug this device into your PC, you will almost certain fry it, and quite likely the PC you attach it to. USB doesn't work like Firewire, it's not a peer bus, so you can't just connect arbitrary devices in that fashion. Your PC won't (and doesn't know how to) present as a USB mass-storage device anyway, even if it weren't liable to fry devices.
post #100 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

Video is not output as a "signal", like composite or even HDMI. USB mass storage is a two-way protocol, and if you get a USB A-to-A cable and attempt to plug this device into your PC, you will almost certain fry it, and quite likely the PC you attach it to. USB doesn't work like Firewire, it's not a peer bus, so you can't just connect arbitrary devices in that fashion. Your PC won't (and doesn't know how to) present as a USB mass-storage device anyway, even if it weren't liable to fry devices.
eek.gif On second thought maybe I won't try it......besides I see my USB cable won't plug into both the iView and PC at the same time, the cable has different ends and only one end plugs into both the PC and iView and I don't have a gender changer. Thanks for the heads-up smile.gif
post #101 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I see my USB cable won't plug into both the iView and PC at the same time, the cable has different ends and only one end plugs into both the PC and iView
Done by design. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #102 of 3715 Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
After being pointed here from the Mag HDD DVR megathread and seeing the price of this, I expected I would be buying one. If there was any mention of black level on composite output I missed it. After reading most of this thread, I see too many feature problems for me to spend even $10 to get one, even after any possible firmware update to fix most known bugs, and I'm a 24 hour clock and internal PS lover. Among the obstacles and omissions, regardless of potential impact on price: no rear USB port; no eSATA; NTFS rather than FOSS HD filesystem; tiny physical size makes choosing or even finding a suitable location more difficult than if a conventional ~42cm width; no room or connections to put even a 2.5" HD inside; no ethernet; no period or dash; wacko remote and menu terminology; no hard data on tuner's lock and hold qualities; no RF signal pass through unless on. IOW, too many reasons to pass.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #103 of 3715 Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

mrmazda, I can understand your points and they are all valid, AFA black level I'm happy to report that they are the correct level for N. Amercia; SD output(composite) is +7.5 IRE and HD outputs(component/HDMI) are 0 IRE smile.gif
I can see some of your points but AFA size of the unit, in my case it's kind of a plus. It sits atop my CM-7000 CECB and is the exact size so they stack quite nicely, I have a very short USB cable running to a very small 80GB HDD which is sandwiched between the sides of a stack of my equipment and the side of my rack. The USB HDD sits on it's end with the USB cable coming out the top and running to the iView and lastly the blue LED of the HDD is visible from the front which tells me it's on and flashes when playing or recording. I understand it might be nice if it had been the standard 42cm width but it seems like more and more things(DVD and BD players in particular) are going more to the 1/2 width size.
post #104 of 3715 Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

mrmazda;
Golly, you expect a lot for $45. For $200 that still would be a lot. eek.gif

no rear USB port; agreed. A front port is nice, but a rear port should of been 1st priority.
no eSATA; very few have this, even the more expensive models
NTFS rather than FOSS HD filesystem; never heard of a "FOSS HD" file system. Whats' the deal with that? confused.gif
tiny physical size; as stated, it's perfect for a area with a small TV and/or a location that has a shelve space premium.
no ethernet; again, not at this price. That's secondary anyway, not a basic function.
no period or dash; they are aware of this and it is on my list. You can still go to the major channel and toggle to a sub channel. It's only a couple of extra button pushes,
no hard data on tuner's lock and hold qualities; no sure what you mean here?? Explain.
no RF signal pass through unless on; most that have this, which are few, this is usually the situation. Surely not any issue, just use a splitter.
Quote:
If there was any mention of black level on composite output I missed it. After reading most of this thread,
There wasn't any until jjeff's post. Again, at this price point, not many would care or even know what you were talking about. wink.gif

post #105 of 3715 Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Black level issue
There wasn't any until jjeff's post. Again, at this price point, not many would care or even know what you were talking about. wink.gif
The black level issue mainly comes into play with SD outputs. N. American standard is +7.5 IRE while the rest of the world is mainly 0 IRE. The problem is with cheaper Chinese designed devices if they don't take this into account(as they have not done with several DVDRs I can think of) things will look too bright or too dark from the composite outputs. A simple IRE mismatch can be easily corrected with your brightness control but the bigger problem is if they use the wrong range of dark and light, if they've done that there isn't really anything that you can easily do to correct it but again I'm happy to report that the iView was correctly designed for our N. American black level and range smile.gif
Black level problems aren't really a price issue but rather a lack of knowledge in how N. American black levels work.
I not a expert by any means but I do know what things look like when using something in N. America not designed for our market.
post #106 of 3715 Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 345
@ videobruce

FOSS stands for free, open-source software. He's complaining that the iView uses Microsoft's proprietary NTFS, as opposed to an open filesystem like Linux's ext1/2/3/4.
post #107 of 3715 Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I was playing with the feature(if you can call it that) where you can change channels while it's recording. It's very odd......The recording continues the whole time, I found that if the channel I changed to was the same physical channel as the one I was recording the recording continued fine but if I went to a different physical channel it would pause the image(but keep recording) that first channel. Oh also when tuned to a different physical channel you get a big box in the middle of the screen with the word RECORDING(this box is not visible when on the same physical channel). After about 5 minutes of being on another channel I stopped the recording and went back to play what had been recorded. I found again while I was on the same physical channel as the one being recorded that everything went fine but when I had changed to another physical channel that the image paused but even odder was after about 4 minutes of the paused screen it started recording the channel I had stopped at confused.gif
I think it's kind of cool how one can be recording one channel but viewing another(albeit the same physical channel) but it's kind of hokey how the screen pauses but recording continues when tuned to a different physical channel(but this is understandable as the device only has one tuner). Personally I think they should stop channel changes when recording, the way it is is rather odd to say the least. I mean who wants to continue recording a paused screen and then have it change to the one you are watching after some time.....
post #108 of 3715 Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Aleron Ives;
Thanks. I just never saw reference to that for a file system. I would be the last to argue that point about M$. wink.gif It's just it makes things easier to access those recording in your PC. redface.gif
Quote:
where you can change channels while it's recording. It's very odd......The recording continues the whole time, I found that if the channel I changed to was the same physical channel as the one I was recording the recording continued fine but if I went to a different physical channel it would pause the image(but keep recording) that first channel.
You better take a closer look. It stops recording on the channel you started recording while you 'surf'. It continues when you return.

It can't do want you though it could. It only has one tuner. wink.gif I believe I mentioned this somewhere. I only found this by accident as you did. Yes, it's very odd.

post #109 of 3715 Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I did play with it extensively and I can say for a fact that the recording continued but the screen was paused. What I did:
Pushed REC while on a channel, used the channel up and down to surf to various channels noting that the whole time(with the INFO screen on) the recording time continued to increment.
When I played back the recording I found that as long as I was on the same physical channel my recording went fine but as soon as I had tuned to a different channel the picture paused(but the recording time continued). After about 4 minutes of a paused picture(again while the recording time kept moving) my recording changed to the channel I had stopped on and motion started again.
Very odd indeed but if I learned one thing it is, while recording one channel I could change to a different channel(as long as it was the same physical channel) and watch something totally different, this could be kind of handy, especially for a single tuner recorder.
post #110 of 3715 Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This only has one tuner. How can it record one channel and allow you to view another?
When I did it here, I noted where the current channel was (scene) and when I returned, where the current scene was. Everything in between was not recorded.

post #111 of 3715 Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Even though it only has one tuner it must be possible to split a physical channel into it's various sub channels. IOW record 2.1 and watch 2.2 which is part of the same physical channel.....again I've never seen this on any other tuner but it must be possible because at least on mine I noted the recording continued in the background while watching something different live smile.gif
post #112 of 3715 Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
it must be possible to split a physical channel into it's various sub channels
Never even entered my mind, nor have I ever read anyone else bringing this up. That may be a different story. I'm talking about different whole channels, not different sub-channels. never even thought about trying that as a option. Sub channels are not much of a issue in this market.

post #113 of 3715 Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Of course it's possible to split a physical channel into its various sub-channels. If it wasn't, recording any channel with sub-channels would result in a massive file containing multiple programs. Most tuners split the current channel you're watching out of the TS and record only that, to save space.
post #114 of 3715 Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM

Liked: 19
I got my iView 3500STB today and have played a little with it.

I can confirm the strange smell out of the box that jjeff noted. I hope it goes away!

I was initially concerned about the time setting because my Maggies don't get a time signal (on cable). The iView is connected OTA and gets the time. My cableco must be removing the PSIP data.

It appears that my TV must be turned on before the iView for the HDMI connection to work. If I can borrow some component cables I'll see how that connection works.

I did a test timer recording using a flash drive but the playback wasn't the best. Another test using an externally powered HDD was much better. I have a WD My Passport USB3 1TB drive that is USB powered that I'd like to use but am a little leery because of Bruce's temperature readings on his iView's power supply. I'm wondering if the instructions call for a max 500GB drive because of possible power supply issues using bigger USB powered drives. I don't have an infrared thermometer to check the temps myself.

I can add a new bug to the list. I have one station that has a bad clock, 10 minutes slow. I scheduled a timer recording for the station with the bad clock and also had the tuner set to that station before I shut it down and the recording started using the bad time. I scheduled another recording for that station but had the tuner set to a station with a correct clock when I shut it down and the recording started using the correct time. Both recordings were set for 10 minutes and both ended up being 10 minutes so the bad clock didn't effect the duration of the recording.
post #115 of 3715 Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I got my iView 3500STB today too. I bought it for an older DLP set that has no HD tuner.Mostly just got it for something to play around with, since the price was right. I've read through this thread quickly. I saw a mention of newer firmware, but I don't see it on the iView site. Am I missing something?

BTW, my smells funky too.
post #116 of 3715 Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Isn't that the neatest smell?? biggrin.gif
I laugh every time I hear that since it reminds me of a comment made over at Amazon that referenced the smell to a Harbor Freight store. When I read that comment before I got mine, I thought it was odd until I opened the box up.
Don't worry, after a day or two, the smell disappears. wink.gif
Quote:
It appears that my TV must be turned on before the iView for the HDMI connection to work.
Typical HDMI handshake issue. You won't have that with component.
Quote:
I did a test timer recording using a flash drive but the playback wasn't the best.
Extremely typical. They aren't made for this application (except for a few expensive, top end versions).
Quote:
I have a WD My Passport USB3 1TB drive that is USB powered that I'd like to use but am a little leery because of Bruce's temperature readings on his iView's power supply.
I assume it is a full size 3 1/2" drive. Don't even think of it. In fact, I doubt it would even work as those are externally powered.
Quote:
I'm wondering if the instructions call for a max 500GB drive because of possible power supply issues using bigger USB powered drives.
Capacity of the drive has (or should have) no effect of power consumption. Size and speed will.

post #117 of 3715 Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post

It appears that my TV must be turned on before the iView for the HDMI connection to work. If I can borrow some component cables I'll see how that connection works.

I did a test timer recording using a flash drive but the playback wasn't the best. Another test using an externally powered HDD was much better. I have a WD My Passport USB3 1TB drive that is USB powered that I'd like to use but am a little leery because of Bruce's temperature readings on his iView's power supply. I'm wondering if the instructions call for a max 500GB drive because of possible power supply issues using bigger USB powered drives. I don't have an infrared thermometer to check the temps myself.
1. At first I was having odd HDMI handshake problems but I chalked it up to a iffy HDMI cable, after I swapped it out for another it worked very well for a week of testing. That said in it's permanent home I now have it hooked up with component cables as my TV I'm already using all 4 HDMI inputs(one even has a HDMI 4x1 switcher hooked to it) but it did have a open component input.

2. I believe power consumption may have very well been the reason for the 500GB limit on HDD size. Just last weekend I purchased a tiny 500GB USB powered HDD(USB3 but I don't think it matters in this case) and it seems to be working just fine. I think I will dedicate this drive to the iView. My 1TB drive is wall wart powered but I just don't have room for it in my rack.
post #118 of 3715 Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post

..... I can add a new bug to the list. I have one station that has a bad clock, 10 minutes slow. I scheduled a timer recording for the station with the bad clock and also had the tuner set to that station before I shut it down and the recording started using the bad time. I scheduled another recording for that station but had the tuner set to a station with a correct clock when I shut it down and the recording started using the correct time. Both recordings were set for 10 minutes and both ended up being 10 minutes so the bad clock didn't effect the duration of the recording.

This is interesting. I wonder what happens if you start with a correct clock, record a previously scheduled recording on Channel "A" (which has a 10 minute slow clock), and then proceed to record a previously scheduled recording on Channel "B" immediately following. Does the recording on Channel "B" miss the first 10 minutes of the show?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #119 of 3715 Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I saw a mention of newer firmware, but I don't see it on the iView site. Am I missing something?
Yes. It wasn't much of a update. Actually the version number went from V4 to V3.7 confused.gif
Only two issues were addressed; changing the default RF out to ch 3 and swapping the functions of the two panel LED's around. Green is now standby, red is now 'on'. No other change that I found. They sent it to me via e-mail. They were getting a lot of returns due to that RF out being set to passthrough when the customer connected to to a old school 'TV set' with no video inputs and got no picture since he couldn't access the menu to activate anything. wink.gif
Quote:
I have one station that has a bad clock, 10 minutes slow. I scheduled a timer recording for the station with the bad clock and also had the tuner set to that station before I shut it down and the recording started using the bad time. I scheduled another recording for that station but had the tuner set to a station with a correct clock when I shut it down and the recording started using the correct time.
Interesting. I esquired about the clock setting. It's unknown exactly when and where the clock gets set. The 1st channel it sees, or the channel it is on. He (Robert Chui) didn't know.
The limited time I have used this, the clock setting has been correct. It may be off by a few seconds, but not a few minutes. Amazing in this day and age how a broadcast station can that far off. rolleyes.gif

I assume you know which station is the offending station? Say, you have the correct time, when you switch to that station with the bad time, how long does it take to change? Also, the same for the reverse. Problem is, with no clock on the front panel (usually a benefit, but this time not so) there are only two places to see the current time and I don't believe those would auto refresh without closing and opening those screens again which would be a pain.

post #120 of 3715 Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Just last weekend I purchased a tiny 500GB USB powered HDD(USB3 but I don't think it matters in this case) and it seems to be working just fine.
What size drive is it (not capacity but physical size)? 3 1/2" or 2 1/2"?? Sounds as you have a 2 1/2" which are made for Laptops with size, power consumption and heat in mind.
1TB or 500GB of the same form factor and speed would consume the around same from the same manufacture. Larger physical drives and faster drive spin speeds consume more. wink.gif

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page