post #1441 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I used to say that my Sony DHG was not a DVR, it was an adventure. This unit and the HW-150 are more of a hobby. On the bright side think how much people are learning.

Being defacto beta testers is interesting. I have a feeling that eventually these boxes will be quite funtional, but they certainly are "hobby boxes" at the moment. I'm hoping to see updated hardware, as well as firmware. You know, a 3501STB with upgraded tuner and power supply as well as the new remote.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Are you absolutely sure it is scaling up to 1080p or just accepting 1080p? I just hunted down manuals for this and saw nothing about scaling up. A brief internet search on TVs and 1080p says the standard is to accept 1080p. Nothing about scaling up to 1080p.

Any 1080p LCD/plasma TV has to scale up to 1080p to display the image, since the number of pixels on the screen is fixed. If the image wasn't scaled, then there would be black bars on all four sides of it. The only difference is how advanced the scaling process is: particularly cheap players may just stretch the image, better ones may use bilinear interpolation, even better ones might use Lanczos4 resampling, and the most advanced ones may add extra effects, such as the significant image processing that occurs on Oppo BD players when they're used to play DVDs. Using terms like "upscaling" is somewhat misleading, since there are so many ways to alter the resolution of a digital image, and most methods yield results of different quality.
post #1443 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Post 1 updated with the remote offer from iView.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1444 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought this converter. Everything works great other than I cannot get any of my HD channels(nbc, 3-1 abc 11-1, fox 41-1). I am scanning using cable auto scan. Manual scan did not work, maybe I didn't do it right. Using coaxial out of the wall and hdmi from converter to TV. Any suggestions?
post #1445 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you get channels if you plug the coaxial cable directly into the TV, or do you have to use a cable box? If your channels are encrypted, the iView is useless. It only tunes ATSC and clear QAM.
post #1446 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 04:22 PM

It is an older mitubushi hdtv. It doesn't have a hd tuner built in. Recieved HD channels from cable. So it needs a digital tuner. Is that what you are looking for?
post #1447 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodoe View Post

It is an older mitubushi hdtv. It doesn't have a hd tuner built in. Recieved HD channels from cable. So it needs a digital tuner. Is that what you are looking for?

How about this: do you rent the tuner from your cable company? What make and model?

post #1448 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Yes Motorola DCT5100
post #1449 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodoe View Post

Yes Motorola DCT5100

That's what we call a STB. It's possible you have no clear QAM channels. It's possible you have some clear QAM channels but the iView is having a problem. Parts of NYC, Canada and northern IL have all scrambled channels. Only positive proof is a second opinion from a QAM capable TV. You can check silicondust.com for your cable/zipcode to see if they have some channels listed. They are pretty accurate.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Good luck.

Just struck me that it's not common to have a TV with HDMI inputs but no digital tuner. But it's a big world.

post #1450 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to take a 1080i TV channel and attempt to view it at 1080p? Do you really think that you can make 1080i into 1080p?

I sometimes set resolution at 1080p so my hd movies on my HDD display at full resolution. Otherwise it is set for 720p because it allows me more options for scaling (TV stations still can't get their scaling correct, showing 4:3 inside a letterbox inside a pillarrbox!), and at 20 feet from the TV, I can't see the difference.

Cache Valley, UT TV news: http://cachefreetv.blogspot.com
post #1451 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
Last time after the official version 2 (aka v8) was released, I was one of the first poeple to bash it and declare it a failure. I want to take this opportunity after the release of the official version 3 to thank Iview for their effort and for listening to the AVS community. I can confirm that the daily recording is now fixed for me. I don't use midnight recording so I didn't test that. I also don't use QAM so I can't speak for that either. They have also fixed the bug that allowed you to chang channels while a recording is on going. if you try to change the channel now while recording, you will get a message telling you that you are in a record mode and ask you to press ok if you want to stop recording or press exit to cancel. This is a really good option that would prevent you from accidentally changing channels while recording. it also gives you the same message if you press the menu while recording. I noticed that the Guide now populate at least one day and the box seems stable (no freezing on guide). I did find one issue with the CC. I turned it on and the unit froze and then rebooted. After that the CC worked ok. I also noticed that if I keep turning the unit on and off multiple times within a short period of time, I lose signal and I can only get it back by unplugging the unit and plugging it back. The swapping of the functions of the buttons info and repeat can be somewhat confusing for someone who hasn't been following this thread. However, I salute Iview and thank them for offering the new remote for free to make up for that inconvenience. one feature i would like to see it added is to set a timer after pressing the record button. If this already exists, please someone show me how to do it. Sometimes i start the recording manually but I don't want to sit there until the show finished to press stop. Overall I am happy with V3 and I prefer it over the homeworx firmware I was using before it because now I can tell when the box is on or off even if the tv is off. Thank you Iview team for fixing some of the major bugs and this version earned a thumbs up from me for what I am using the box for.
post #1452 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good ideal they could add easy. A timer for manual record could be set up like a old vcr. hit rec one time to keep recording hit it aging 30 min aging 1 hour and so on and so on. Also have not played with manual rec at all can you pause it like a vcr and then just hit play pause or rec to start it aging or does it brake up the file?

I would try it but mine is in rec right now. Also using homeworx firmware till new remote gets here.
post #1453 of 3868 Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by troydog View Post

Good ideal they could add easy. A timer for manual record could be set up like a old vcr. hit rec one time to keep recording hit it aging 30 min aging 1 hour and so on and so on. Also have not played with manual rec at all can you pause it like a vcr and then just hit play pause or rec to start it aging or does it brake up the file?

I would try it but mine is in rec right now. Also using homeworx firmware till new remote gets here.

It behaves like a dvr, not vcr, when you record and hit pause. This means it goes into timeshift mode while it keeps recording.
post #1454 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Any 1080p LCD/plasma TV has to scale up to 1080p to display the image, since the number of pixels on the screen is fixed. If the image wasn't scaled, then there would be black bars on all four sides of it. The only difference is how advanced the scaling process is: particularly cheap players may just stretch the image, better ones may use bilinear interpolation, even better ones might use Lanczos4 resampling, and the most advanced ones may add extra effects, such as the significant image processing that occurs on Oppo BD players when they're used to play DVDs. Using terms like "upscaling" is somewhat misleading, since there are so many ways to alter the resolution of a digital image, and most methods yield results of different quality.

This is over my head I guess. I have 2 TVs that can do 1080p. When I watch TV (OTA) there are no bars and they (The TV info buttons) tell me the channel is 720p, 1080i or even 480i/p. Are you telling me these TV's are scaling the picture up to 1080p? This goes against everything I have previously read on AVS Froums.

On the other hand when I play BLUE RAY DVDs and feed the TVs they tell me 1080p.
post #1455 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Minor inconvenience for a backup DVR but again something I'd miss if it were my only DVR. bSWme9
post #1456 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Vic View Post

I sometimes set resolution at 1080p so my hd movies on my HDD display at full resolution. Otherwise it is set for 720p because it allows me more options for scaling (TV stations still can't get their scaling correct, showing 4:3 inside a letterbox inside a pillarrbox!), and at 20 feet from the TV, I can't see the difference.

I almost never have an issue with letter box unless the station is not HD. In the NY metro area there are few non HD stations.
post #1457 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

This is over my head I guess. I have 2 TVs that can do 1080p. When I watch TV (OTA) there are no bars and they (The TV info buttons) tell me the channel is 720p, 1080i or even 480i/p. Are you telling me these TV's are scaling the picture up to 1080p? This goes against everything I have previously read on AVS Froums.

On the other hand when I play BLUE RAY DVDs and feed the TVs they tell me 1080p.

LenL.. the SOURCE is 720p, 1080i, or 480i/p. What is displayed on the LCD/Plasma screen (from a 1080 source) is always 1080p (if the TV has 1080 lines of resolution). CRT screens are different, and typically have 540 lines which are displayed alternately (interlaced). That's where the "i" comes from. Why would you ever want to interlace when the LCD/Plasma screen can display all 1080 lines at once?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1458 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Hello,

I installed the 3500STB (with latest Firmware from IView website) 2 days ago and had some problems and found this forum. So I'm hoping you all can help me resolve the issues so I won't have to return the product.

Background: Toshiba HDTV LCD,6+yrs old, internal tuner is acting up and would not receive digital channels, only analog channels are showing. Input is basic cable from cable company (no box rented from company) so nothing should be encrypted. Checked silicondust website and the channels I should be receiving are all QAM256. Using the cable from wall (signal from cable company) into coaxial input, HDMI output from the device to an HDMI input of TV. Used both autoscan and manual scan features to find channels. To doublecheck, I have a cheap LCD HDTV in the house running on same cable and it receive all the digital channels perfectly.

So here are my problems:
1) Several of the channels have audio, but the screen is blank with message "No Service". These channels are FOX, ABC, and PBS. I can hear the audio perfectly, but no video except message. Checked the signal quality screen, and all channels show 60 percent or better.
2) Intermittently, some of the channels that normally work fine, exhibit problem #1. Then several minutes later, the channel reappears perfectly.

When the above problems appear, I checked the cheap LCD HDTV to see if the problem is coming from the cable company, and everything is fine.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.
post #1459 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedDTuner View Post

Hello,

I installed the 3500STB (with latest Firmware from IView website) 2 days ago and had some problems and found this forum. So I'm hoping you all can help me resolve the issues so I won't have to return the product.

Background: Toshiba HDTV LCD,6+yrs old, internal tuner is acting up and would not receive digital channels, only analog channels are showing. Input is basic cable from cable company (no box rented from company) so nothing should be encrypted. Checked silicondust website and the channels I should be receiving are all QAM256. Using the cable from wall (signal from cable company) into coaxial input, HDMI output from the device to an HDMI input of TV. Used both autoscan and manual scan features to find channels. To doublecheck, I have a cheap LCD HDTV in the house running on same cable and it receive all the digital channels perfectly.

So here are my problems:
1) Several of the channels have audio, but the screen is blank with message "No Service". These channels are FOX, ABC, and PBS. I can hear the audio perfectly, but no video except message. Checked the signal quality screen, and all channels show 60 percent or better.
2) Intermittently, some of the channels that normally work fine, exhibit problem #1. Then several minutes later, the channel reappears perfectly.

When the above problems appear, I checked the cheap LCD HDTV to see if the problem is coming from the cable company, and everything is fine.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.

When you said "doublechecked", did you physically use the same cable that feeds the iView & TV? Or stated differently, did you move the cheap TV that works or did you run a line from the bad TV to the good TV?

I have two feeds from the trunk outside. One feeds a cable modem & TiVo. One feeds everything else (3 DVR, 2 TV and a VCR).

Just a thought: my cable signal is 95 or better. 36-37db SNR. I would move the iView to the cheap TV and see how it works,

post #1460 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Some very good news on cable QAM, It only pick up the correct channels and the epg works now
Joe
post #1461 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well, I confirmed that the iView 3500STB still won't record the stations that have the double "searching" hickup, if you don't leave it on tuned to the channel. Some of these tuning problems must be firmware related, because KOAA 5 (on RF channel 42) now has a glitch where the tuner has problems finding it. KOAA is the station that V7 wouldn't tune at all. Somehow I think it must have something to do with blocking the encrypted channels like "update TV" on RMPBS. The HomeWorx firmware didn't have any problem tuning KOAA, but the encrypted channels showed up on the scan and had to be deleted. Somehow, I'd rather have the encrypted channels show up, than have a station that doesn't tune.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #1462 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

When you said "doublechecked", did you physically use the same cable that feeds the iView & TV? Or stated differently, did you move the cheap TV that works or did you run a line from the bad TV to the good TV?

Joe,
I physically used the same cable that feeds the iView and the cheap TV. No splitter, doubler, amp, or additional connector in the line.
post #1463 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedDTuner View Post

Joe,
I physically used the same cable that feeds the iView and the cheap TV. No splitter, doubler, amp, or additional connector in the line.

Well, except for the low signal level I can't think of anything else to try. Sorry.

post #1464 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroc73 View Post

... I want to take this opportunity after the release of the official version 3 to thank Iview for their effort and for listening to the AVS community. I can confirm that the daily recording is now fixed for me. I don't use midnight recording so I didn't test that. I also don't use QAM so I can't speak for that either. ...
I too want to commend iView for the v3/v9 firmware. I am on (clear) QAM so I can address some of these aspects.

The population of channel names and virtual numbers works properly and appears to be stable. I had a problem with v7 where all the virtual channel numbers changed to 7-x. I'm on Bright House Networks (BHN) cable and never received EPG, so I can't comment there.

However, I still have the odd problem with booked recordings. There's something with the data that BHN sends which ends up confusing the firmware. Here's the scenario in detail in the hopes that it will help identify the problem.
  1. Load v3/v9 firmware
  2. Perform factory reset & set for cable
  3. Manually re-program available channels. Physical channels: 79,80,81,83,86,87,121
  4. Move virtual channels 65-1 and 6-1 to positions C001 and C002, leave others unchanged (full channel list [3])
  5. Enter manual booking screen, attempt to add a booking for channel 6-1 but it's not listed... confused.gif (List of available channels [1])
  6. Move virtual channel 6-1 to position C001, 65-1 is now in C002.
  7. Enter manual booking screen, channel 6-1 is available for bookings. (New list of available channels [2]) Also, all pre-existing bookings for 65-1 (WRBW My) are now listed as 6-1 (WKMG CB), and they record on that channel.

I've made a similar observation before, but it seems like there's a pointer or linked-list problem with the booking screen. In my opinion, the booking channel should be independent of the order of the channels in the channel list.

-Paul

[1] List of available channels for booking.
List using the right arrow: 65-1 -> 65-1
List using the left arrow: 65-1 -> 6-2 -> 2-2 -> 2-1 -> 65-1

[2] List of available channels for booking after moving 6-1 to the head of the list:
List using the right arrow: 6-1 -> 6-1
List using the left arrow: 6-1 -> 6.2 -> 2-2 -> 2-1 -> 6-1

[3] List of channels from item 4 above:
  1. 65-1 WRBW My
  2. 6-1 WKMG CB
  3. 2-1 WESH NB
  4. 2-2 WESH Me
  5. 6-2 WKMG RT
  6. 9-1 WFTV AB
  7. 13-1 CFNews1
  8. 18-1 WCKF CW
  9. 18-2 WCKF Th
  10. 18-3 WCKF Es
  11. 24-1 WUCF PB
  12. 24-2 WUCF Cr
  13. 24-3 WUCF UC
  14. 24-4 WUCF V-
  15. 26-1 WVEN Un
  16. 27-1 WRDQ HD
  17. 27-2 WRDQ An
  18. 35-1 WOFL FO
  19. 43-1 WOTF Un
  20. 45-1 WTGL
  21. 47-1 BH Spo
  22. 49-1 Brighth
  23. 52-1 WHLV TB
  24. 56-1 WOPX IO
  25. 62-1 WTMO Te
  26. 68-1 WBCC
  27. 68-2 WBCC CI
  28. 68-3 WBCC NA
  29. 68-4 WBCC Fl
  30. 86-1 iNDeman
post #1465 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 161
When you are in the "Add event" screen, when you use the left or right navigation buttons, does the list include all the channel numbers in your channel map, or are some or many missing?
I had a initial quirk (no idea what happened), out of a dozen channels (QAM), only three showed. I cleared the channel map by starting a full scan, then stopped it. I then used the "Find channel" function to add just the physical channel numbers I wanted/needed.
(I had to use the tuner in the VRX to obtain the physical channel numbers since TWC played musical channels again and changed everything. This wouldn't show the virtual numbers afterwards. mad.gif )

WUCF has six sub-channels in addition to their main channel?? Must be the worst looking video out there. rolleyes.gif (It would help if you put your town under your user name.)

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1466 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 PM

Liked: 12
I am useing the homeworx firmware. But found out when you are in the screen of the shows you have recorded. You can hit play and it will go right to full screen
post #1467 of 3868 Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

When you are in the "Add event" screen, when you use the left or right navigation buttons, does the list include all the channel numbers in your channel map, or are some or many missing?
I had a initial quirk (no idea what happened), out of a dozen channels (QAM), only three showed. I cleared the channel map by starting a full scan, then stopped it. I then used the "Find channel" function to add just the physical channel numbers I wanted/needed.
(I had to use the tuner in the VRX to obtain the physical channel numbers since TWC played musical channels again and changed everything. This wouldn't show the virtual numbers afterwards. mad.gif )

WUCF has six sub-channels in addition to their main channel?? Must be the worst looking video out there. rolleyes.gif (It would help if you put your town under your user name.)

The list of numbers available is enumerated in the order they're available. It's quite limited based on where the entry for 6-1 appears... So with the list in the order listed, it starts on 65.1, goes to 6-2, then 2-2, etc as listed back to 65.1. There are probably other combinations of channels that limit the channels available for booking, but with the list I have, it's not likely I'll enumerate them all...

My cable provider has many encrypted channels, so now I only do manual entries since I know what physical channels are available to me.

I don't watch a whole lot of WUCF so I haven't really noticed. I'm on Central Florida BHN, though there are some days I miss Buffalo. Mostly in the summer smile.gif
post #1468 of 3868 Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is over my head I guess. I have 2 TVs that can do 1080p. When I watch TV (OTA) there are no bars and they (The TV info buttons) tell me the channel is 720p, 1080i or even 480i/p. Are you telling me these TV's are scaling the picture up to 1080p?
If they weren't, the image wouldn't fill the screen. Of course most 480i channels don't fill the screen even when they're scaled, because they have a 4:3 aspect ratio. As such, they get scaled to 1440x1080, rather than 1920x1080, and you get pillarboxing. Some channels do show anamorphic 480i (in the same fashion as DVDs), and those get stretched and scaled to 1920x1080. The hardware in a Blu-ray player likely would do a better job of scaling than a TV would (and a DVD would likely have a higher bitrate that would help to improve the video quality as compared to a 480i sub-channel), but the process is essentially the same.
Quote:

BDs and DVDs are not the same. They use different disc materials with different pit sizes and different laser wavelengths. Most Blu-ray players will use their hardware to IVTC and upscale DVDs to 1080p and then feed that improved video to the TV, rather than feeding the raw 480i video to the TV and letting the TV stretch the image itself.
post #1469 of 3868 Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I'm not sure where you found six. PBS is poor, so it's understandable. My SD 480i cable channels are 10 per main channel. I seldom record any of them.

WOPX is ION and Wiki says it carries qubo and runs 56-1 to 56-5. Rabbitears doesn't show an AirBox channel in the Orlando area. Closest is Ft. Myers but to see if it affects the strange behavior I would remove WOPX as a test. Some devices don't like AirBox.

post #1470 of 3868 Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM

To those who have requested a new remote, how long has it taken Evelyn to confirm she's received your e-mail? I just sent my request yesterday afternoon. I don't want to spam her, but I haven't received a confirmation that she's received the request and the deadline is Sunday.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page