post #151 of 3791 Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Apparently whomever designed this has no clue about American CATV systems. .

That's pretty common among these manufacturers..The amazing thing to me..is when someone who does understand American CATV systems... offers to send recorded streams with an offer to help make their product better.. they always seem to not be interested..rolleyes.gif

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3791 Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
You made this offer directly to iView?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #153 of 3791 Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello to the few and the dedicated. I have a question, I hope, the owners can answer. Does this box output 1080i/720p over component output? My HDMI inputs are filled and I was hoping to play with this interesting box.
post #154 of 3791 Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes, because of a lack of HDMI inputs I'm also using component set to 1080i and it works just fine.
post #155 of 3791 Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

All five selections should be available for component as they are for HDMI.;
480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i & 1080p

Updated post 3.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #156 of 3791 Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

That's pretty common among these manufacturers..The amazing thing to me..is when someone who does understand American CATV systems... offers to send recorded streams with an offer to help make their product better.. they always seem to not be interested..rolleyes.gif

They don't want to invest any time or money (new tuner/firmware) just to improve a product. I mean if the mighty Apple didn't care about the lack of usb ports on the iPad, why Mr. Wong will think different?
post #157 of 3791 Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yes, because of a lack of HDMI inputs I'm also using component set to 1080i and it works just fine.

Thank You.
post #158 of 3791 Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:

All five selections should be available for component as they are for HDMI.;
480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i & 1080p

Updated post 3.

Than You Also; enjoyed your and jjeff's reviews on Amazon.
post #159 of 3791 Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone else noticed that when you set a weekly timer it records every twelve days instead of seven? By the way it will work with a 1.5TB hard drive. It shows around 250 hours of recording time. Here is the link to the one I am using.
http://us.toshiba.com/computers/storage/portable/canvio-3/HDTC615XK3B1
videobruce likes this.
post #160 of 3791 Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't really played with anything other than one off events, I'm only using it for a overflow tuner when I've got things scheduled on both my of my Tivo's tuners, but it wouldn't suprise me if the iView has a weekly bug to go along with it's midnight bugrolleyes.gif
I can see how a 12 day week wouldn't be too handy, makes one wonder if anyone has actually tested these prior to sale.....
Nice to know one can add a HDD larger than 1TB, now days you don't really save much getting smaller HDDs, at least up to 3TB which seems to be the best bang for the buck. I also looked at that Toshiba HDD, seems to be quite popular and very competitively priced. The largest USB HDD I have is 1TB so I knew at least that would work, wonder if there is actually a limit and why the manual says 500GB max....I kind of thought it was because of current draw but if one used a HDD with a external power supply(like my 1TB) the USB draw would be minimal.
My only complaint about the USB3 HDDs(as my 500GB Hitachi is) is the cable is so short and thick, makes routing it difficult. I also like the activity LED to be on the long edge so I can see it stacked or along the iView, many HDDs seem to place the activity LED on the top which is all but impossible to see unless one stands over the HDD.
Maybe videobruce has played with weekly events.....
post #161 of 3791 Old 05-01-2013, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that when you set a weekly timer it records every twelve days instead of seven?
No. New bug added.
Quote:
it will work with a 1.5TB hard drive. It shows around 250 hours of recording time.
Can we try for 2 TB?? I changed the max drive size.
Quote:
makes one wonder if anyone has actually tested these prior to sale.....
Obviously not. mad.gif
Quote:
Maybe videobruce has played with weekly events.....
Nope. I only tried a few recordings on the same day.

After a number of conversations, the following has come out;
1. This was marketed for the masses as a cheap tuner,
2. This is their first DVR,
3. Whatever testing was done overseas, it had to very minimal,
4. Their people here had no input on any of this. The products are sent over and their people here have to sort through all of it, then sell it.

Design something based on their assumptions and life style with no or little input from the actual market it is destined for. This seems to be the standard for China. Crank out mass quantities of "stuff' to send abroad. This surely will never be an enthusiast's DVR. It's too bad, since the potential is there. Far more potential than they can realize.
The only hope is a version two that is designed as a true DVR, after they start listening to the customer in the targeted market.. wink.gif

post #162 of 3791 Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 114
VideoBruce

What is needed is an American to put together a design for a DVR (YOU?) and then send the specs to whoever built this one to build it and send a prototype back to you for testing and working out the bugs so that you can then order a large quantity for sale on AMAZON and then you become VideoBruce the multi-millionare!

Gee sounds so simple!
post #163 of 3791 Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Almost any of the regulars in this forum could do the same thing. Compose a list of 'wants', but getting stubborn, narrow minded people in another country to listen is another thing.

BTW, no one would ever get rich in this very limited market.

post #164 of 3791 Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

VideoBruce

What is needed is an American to put together a design for a DVR (YOU?) and then send the specs to whoever built this one to build it and send a prototype back to you for testing and working out the bugs so that you can then order a large quantity for sale on AMAZON and then you become VideoBruce the multi-millionare!

Gee sounds so simple!

In fact, something like that (but in a very small scale) was done with the Funai Co. and their Magnavox SD/DVD recorder.
post #165 of 3791 Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20

So far I've noticed that the tuner has pretty good picture quality.

post #166 of 3791 Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

So far I've noticed that the tuner has pretty good picture quality.
So you got your iView then?
Yes my only complaint on the picture quality is when the iView has to scale the picture to a different resolution than it started out as, otherwise displaying a 1080i at 1080i or 720p at 720p look good. Native would have been a nice option but at this price point probably more than could be expected.
post #167 of 3791 Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

In fact, something like that (but in a very small scale) was done with the Funai Co. and their Magnavox SD/DVD recorder.

Yes, and it has it's own set of bugs and issues..of which I took one of mine back because wifey would not tolerate the flakiness.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #168 of 3791 Old 05-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all - I just bought one of these the other day, and am only now finding the forum. I have to say, I'm really amazed with this box! Usually things that are too good to be true don't exist...this is at LEAST good! I agree with most of the shortcomings listed, but for 40 bucks, I simply can't complain...you can't even find a standalone tuner that cheap anymore - let alone one with HDMI, Component, Composite, Svideo and RF outs. The menus are even fairly logically organized and self explanatory. Most things seem to work as you'd expect.

Mine seems to have shipped with V3 of the firmware (dated 130326), and so far so good. I have hit a few bugs here and there, and I'm setting up timers now. I've also played with a few different smaller drives and they all work. I even yanked an old 160G drive out of an old Asus Netbook and left it formatted as is (4 partitions, two logical drives and 2 Asus recovery partitions), and the iView found both logical drives and made them usable to me. I can even see all the files in the active windows partition. Again...simply amazing for 40 bucks...

A few questions:

1. The bar that's displayed when you hit info once....what is it? It doesn't seem to correspond to the signal strength you see when you hit the info button twice. It also doesn't seem to correspond to how far through the show we are. What the heck is it?

2. I still haven't completely figured out how to use the timeshift mode. I know I can hit pause and it will enter the mode and start recording, however, once I go live again, I can't figure out how to rewind later (even assuming I don't hit stop and exit timeshift mode). I also don't know how to read the blue/red bar - or get it back after I've cleared it.

So...that said, anything else I should know? I think I've read the entire thread here now. Are we sure that V3 is newer than V4 of the firmware?

Mike
post #169 of 3791 Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There are two 'info' screens, the 1st shows the programs, the 2nd has the signal level indicator.

The only two changes were reversing the function of the two front panel LED's and changing the default RF out to ch. 3 which was a problem with old school 'TV sets" (non monitors).

corrected info screen comment

post #170 of 3791 Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNE View Post

2. I still haven't completely figured out how to use the timeshift mode. I know I can hit pause and it will enter the mode and start recording, however, once I go live again, I can't figure out how to rewind later (even assuming I don't hit stop and exit timeshift mode). I also don't know how to read the blue/red bar - or get it back after I've cleared it.
I know it can be done but I'm not positive right now. I think the key to being able to back up again once you've caught up to live is to NOT push PAUSE again. I believe doing so will reset the buffer, I think to get back to the buffer you should instead just search backwards. AFA you second part, doesn't the INFO button bring the bar back?
My iView isn't currently available, otherwise I'd test it for you. It should be available by next week for testing things.
post #171 of 3791 Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:

There are two 'info' screens, the 1st shows the programs, the 2nd has the signal level indicator.

The only two changes were reversing the function of the two front panel LED's and changing the default RF out to ch. 3 which was a problem with old school 'TV sets" (non monitors).

corrected info screen comment

Thanks - so do we know what the bar represents on the first info screen then?

I just found the weekly timer bug (recorded something then it set the next date for 12 days later. This is a major bug - I'm hoping they come out with some new firmware soon.

Thanks,
Mike
post #172 of 3791 Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I know it can be done but I'm not positive right now. I think the key to being able to back up again once you've caught up to live is to NOT push PAUSE again. I believe doing so will reset the buffer, I think to get back to the buffer you should instead just search backwards. AFA you second part, doesn't the INFO button bring the bar back?
My iView isn't currently available, otherwise I'd test it for you. It should be available by next week for testing things.

Yeah, the info button doesn't bring the blue/red bar back. It just brings back the normal info screen. Also, I've played around with the timeshift mode, and think I've figured out it's use. It's a little weird - and describing the use cases is not going to be very straight forward. First of all, hitting pause once enters timeshift mode.

Then,
- Pressing pause again resumes play (time shifted) with the blue/red bar.
- With the blue/red bar up, pressing stop once will move you forward to live mode, BUT will stay in timeshift mode and keep recording.
- Pressing stop a second time will exit timeshift mode.
- Info removes the blue/red bar
- Pressing stop once AFTER removing the blue/red bar will immediately exit timeshift mode
- As long as you are watching delayed, you can rewind and fast foward.
- If you are watching live, but still in timeshift mode, in order to get access to the timeshift buffer that is recording, you need to hit pause for a couple of seconds so you are watching a delayed signal, then you can rewind the full buffer.

It seems to me that if you want to use the pause, rewind and fast foward features like a normal DVR, you should press pause, wait 5 seconds, then press pause again and press info to remove the blue/red bar. After that you can hit pause or rewind as you see fit. Just don't hit stop or forward all the way to live.

Hope this helps someone...
Mike
post #173 of 3791 Old 05-05-2013, 07:42 PM

Has anyone found a universal remote that will control the 3500STB without having to learn every function in a learning remote? Or perhaps found a universal remote code of another brand that also controls the IVIEW?
post #174 of 3791 Old 05-06-2013, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks - so do we know what the bar represents on the first info screen then?
Nothing. I guess it is just 'there'. The so called signal meter is generous. It will show a number of 'dots' from a weak signal.
Quote:
Has anyone found a universal remote that will control the 3500STB without having to learn every function in a learning remote? Or perhaps found a universal remote code of another brand that also controls the IVIEW?
Unless this emulates another common remote set of codes, it's doubtful there is something. It's not really hard to learn all functions. I have probably done it over a dozen of times with other devices. wink.gif

post #175 of 3791 Old 05-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Hi all,

Picked up three of these boxes, have one operational so far, but there's a "glitch" that I can't seem to fix. I have an external hard drive hooked up via the USB port for recording. I previously used a 32GB flash drive just for testing and it worked OK, but as you know there's not much time at all on that. So, I hooked up a 1TB hard drive.

I have formatted the HD both ways (FAT32 and NTFS), and have tried using both the timer record or just starting recording myself, but the HD does the same thing: it only records 4 to 5 minutes, then stops.

Everything *looks* OK, and it obviously works with the flash drive. Anyone have any issues with external HD's and the 3500? If so, ANY advice appreciated!

Otherwise, this little box rocks! Exactly what I was looking for without breaking the bank.

Thanks.....
post #176 of 3791 Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, welcome to AVS. You may not be aware but the protocol here is to use the existing thread for a product, only if one hasn't been created should a new one be made. The iView 3500 thread is here. The reason to keep everything in one thread is to make it a kind of one place stop and not have to look though various threads.
That said about your question, I'm sad to say I don't know what the difference between FAT32 and NTFS is, I've used a older 1TB WD drive and am currently using a Hitachi 500 GB USB3 drive. Both were just purchased off the shelf and hooked up and I've recorded quite a bit with both and haven't had any problems like your describing. Maybe someone else has an idea....
post #177 of 3791 Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Oops, sorry about that!

Since the flash drive works, maybe it's just an issue with the hard drive itself. I've got a couple of others I can try on it......
post #178 of 3791 Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 371
You can't use FAT32 with a DVR, as it only supports a maximum file size of ~4 GB, and HD programs can be as large as 8 GB per hour. NTFS doesn't have that restriction, which makes it a better choice. Is your USB HDD 3.5" or 2.5", and does it require an external power supply? It's possible that if it's a fast drive, it needs more power than the iView's USB port can provide.
post #179 of 3791 Old 05-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Well, things are weird...I checked my external hard drive (1TB Western Digital), and although it was formatted for NTFS the main partition was only about 100MB (which is why it was only recording for a few minutes, then shutting off -- it was running out of space!). I re-partitioned the drive to use the full amount, about 932GB, and I set it up to record a 1 hour show. It *appeared* to record just fine -- but then it recorded for only 13 minutes (using 293MB) and shut off again. I checked the drive space and there was plenty of space left (931GB+) -- I don't know why it just arbitrarily quit recording. The portion that *did* record was fine -- it just abruptly stopped for no apparent reason.

If anyone else has had this problem, or has more advice, let me know! Thanks.....
post #180 of 3791 Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 AM

BTW, HDD is 3.5" and has its own power supply....
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page