iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1981 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
jprc: Thank you so much, v7 fixed up both of my 3500's for now smile.gif No longer are they paperweights smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Let's try this again without any hardware issues listed. This is based on what I call V6a (since this is the 2nd version six). Straight numbering in order or importance.

Entries with a * should be simple name and/or menu changes.

Foremost of importance is a clear, well written full size manual available on the web site with screen shots.

1. Allow user to select station that has the correct time instead of the system selecting some random station,

2. Add the ability to save program listings when returning to a channel so you don't have to wait for the listings to appear again,

3. On CATV systems, the ability to skip all encrypted stations and display any 'in the clear' station with or without a virtual number when doing a scan,

4. Display the correct channel numbers on the display. If this isn't possible, display only two dashes. That irrelevant number is confusing.

5. Show "REC" on the display when recording,

6. Add an adjustable skip function for playback with adjustable skip periods,

7. When using 'Manual search' to save new channels, return back to the manual search screen after entry is saved instead of exiting. It's a real annoyance to re-enter the screen again to add additional channels,

8. Add a conformation step when using the 'Auto search' since it's easy to hit it by mistake and wipe out all your channels when you wanted to do a manual search,

*9. Remove the need for a password to edit channels and rename "Program" to "Channel". Then move this under the Channel tab, You are editing channels, not programs.

10. Remove that "PR" number from all CATV channels that don't and won't have the stations call letters displayed. It's a meaningless number that only confuses,

11. Remove “Radio” channels. This doesn't always see audio channels as “Radio”, placing many under the normal video. This just makes things more complicated and confusing,

*12. Activate the 'Quality” scale in the small Info box, not just the large box and don't time out that screen when it is called up manually to aid in antenna orientation,

*13. Remove those four choices for sorting the channels. They do not have any affect on channel order. Their labels are not common terms. The ability to move individual channels is already there,

14. Reduce the size of the pop up Info boxes (when using the Info button or anytime they appear) and make them transparent so one can see the video behind. They cover too much of the screen, especially the smaller box,

15. Move the “Resume/Exit” pop up box from the top of the playback list screen to the center and change the background color or emphasize it somehow to make it easier to see.

*16. Rename “Book” in the manual record screen to 'Schedule'. These aren't airline flights you are scheduling,

17. When scrolling through the recorded programs, use 'Play' to play the recording in full screen instead of that renamed “Schedule” key which is another confusing dual function button,
*18. Remove the “TV Format” entry in the menu since there is no “PAL” format in N. America,
*19 Rename “Movie” in USB mode to “Recordings”. These aren't always movies that are recorded
20. Add a 'space' entry when editing the program names to separate words,
21. Change the default HDMI audio to “Raw HDMI On”,
22. Volume & mute have no effect on the HDMI output when in Raw mode (for 5.1 audio),
23. Add a slow motion function,
24. During recording, when you click on 'Info', there are two entries that should be removed; “Max record size” which seems to be a duplicate of “Disk free space” and “Cur play size” which always shows “0KB”,
25. Is that above pop up suppose to display during playback? If so, it doesn't.
26. Remove all of those unnecessary digital wipe patterns when in the photos section. Add a simple 'dissolve' function in their place since that is the most useful. Digital patterns are distracting
27. Unable to return to Photo configure from Multimedia to change settings,
28. Use the l> l> and < l < l buttons to advance or go back in photo mode.

added the manual
whatsacubit likes this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1983 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,
Im new to the forums. Can you please tell me if this is the correct product for the following application. I want to watch basic Comcast cable channels (network channels) on my analog TV. I think I need a QAM tuner to do this. Will this product function as a DTV converter box (cant seem to find an inexpensive box that has a QAM tuner)? Being able to record will be a bonus. I have a newer digital flat panel in another room that is picking up these cable channels without any set top box, I assume because it already has a QAM tuner in it.
Thanks,
Ken
post #1984 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Posts 1 & 5 updated

KenS999;
Yes to your question, but be sure you read the last few pages here regarding QAM services.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1985 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 PM

Thank you. Maybe I should wait and see the results of the v10 upgrade before ordering one of these.

-Ken
post #1986 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 113
For anyone who's having trouble doing the software upgrade with the v6 file that videobruce posted in #5, you need to rename the file to take out the space in the filename.
VB - can you fix that when you get a chance. Thx.
post #1987 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
you need to rename the file to take out the space in the filename
or add a underscore between only & virtual. redface.gif

Fixed.

post #1988 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Liked: 21
To Evelyn... A Sugestion For the Engineers -> Larger Time Shift Cache Size Choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIEW View Post

Hi,
................................. Before we confirm with the engineers, do you have any other suggestions that we can add or remove from those two firmwares to help create a new firmware named "V10".

Thank You,
Evelyn

Would be nice and very useful to be abble to increase the TimeShift Cache amount to something much larger..
I've had several problems running out of cache space and you end up loosing a big portion of the program content. 4 GB does not go far with HD programs,

We have the ability to utilize HDD's as big a 1TB (or bigger") so our choice for larger cache amounts could be and should be implemented.
post #1989 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 20
Hi,

I have posted the firmware that corresponds to the remote on the website "http://iviewus.com/newsRead.php?id=103&catId=257". Please let me know if you have any problems with it. For those who were wondering about the capability of storage, we have tested the converter box and it works with 2TB. Regarding the time set, unfortunately that is a hardware issue, so we cannot change or modify the 3500STB or 3500STBII, but this problem has been emphasized so the next version of the converter box will hopefully have an internal clock. I have sent your suggestions to the engineers and hopefully we can have the "V10" in a couple of weeks. For those who purchased or received a new remote, please let me know your feedback or if any problems arise.

Evelyn
post #1990 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 45
cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIEW View Post

Hi,

I have posted the firmware that corresponds to the remote on the website "http://iviewus.com/newsRead.php?id=103&catId=257". Please let me know if you have any problems with it. For those who were wondering about the capability of storage, we have tested the converter box and it works with 2TB. Regarding the time set, unfortunately that is a hardware issue, so we cannot change or modify the 3500STB or 3500STBII, but this problem has been emphasized so the next version of the converter box will hopefully have an internal clock. I have sent your suggestions to the engineers and hopefully we can have the "V10" in a couple of weeks. For those who purchased or received a new remote, please let me know your feedback or if any problems arise.

Evelyn
It's understood there isn't an internal clock, but can we have the option to pick a specific channel that becomes the only one that the iView will extract the time from?

Edit: Is proper closed caption support possible?

--
(this space for rent)
post #1991 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

6. Add an adjustable skip function for playback with adjustable skip periods,
23. Add a slow motion function,

6. Don't forget an adjustable "Replay" function to go with it.

23. As an addendum to this, a 1.5x playback speed would be great... with audio ON for both of these speeds.

--
(this space for rent)
post #1992 of 3900 Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 PM

Liked: 12

For Evelyn and the technical team:

OK, no manual set of clock for a specific time because the hardware won't take input from an external source.  I understand this. 

Maybe this is a workaround for people on cable.

Add a separate "clock offset" menu that works similar to the time zone offset, with an allowance for hours and minutes adjustment.  In theory, a separate menu that differentiates between guide data and the STT table could also straighten up the guide info if that is also offset - as the program information I get on my cable system is also 6 hours old on the iView, regardless of what time zone I select.

Since the time zone can change the clock, why can't a function be programmed to offset the system clock for people like myself, who have the same wrong time on every cable channel?

It's not so important if the guide doesn't work, or doesn't show up with cable - it's a nice feature but every cable company and broadcaster will screw it up differently. I don't expect you could find a universal "fix".  What I and others just want is a way to set an accurate time, even if it's indirectly corrected so we can program cable recordings accurately - or at least closer to accuracy with the many local cable situations.

In the Canada setup, there is a 3 1/2 hour offset.  I think what I propose, to make the time offset have plus/minus hours, as well as minutes, is entirely possible to code.  It may not "appear" to a new user as an easy setup.  But I don't think anyone whom is looking for an STB with this kind of versatility would want this box to be a plug and play type of device without setup options that can work around local cable system differences.  This would seem like an easy fix.

You could make it inclusive/exclusive for cable/air. 

Please --- please present this to the code developers.  Thanks for your help, whatever you can push through :)

post #1993 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Regarding the 3TB drive not being recognized.

Might be because the enclosure allows the drive to spin down. Once the drive spins down the IView will probably not recognize it. Just like my PALDVR behaves. I had to get a different enclosure to use 1 TB drives with it. Or you could modify the drive parameters with the HD Parm utility to NOT allow it to spin down..
post #1994 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 05:53 PM

Wednesday September 18 was an active day for FW V6. It showed up in post #5 as 0913_v6a_QAM_only_virtual.zip prior to 8:20 PM EDT/5:20 PM PDT. The - - -_virtual.bin file size is 3,228 KB, the same size as the usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin dated 9/10/2013.

Then about an hour later IVIEW posted firmware "that corresponds to the remote" on the iviewus.com web site: v6flash18.bin and v6usb_upgrade_all_flash18.bin. I tried several times downloading it for a better result than a v6usb_upgrade_all_flash18.bin file at 0 KB and a v6usb_upgrade_all_flash18.bin.part file at 1,023 KB, but got the same result every time. I figure these files aren't going to work based on file size, so I haven't tried to use them, and have been waiting for others to report. Are these just a corrupted version of the same FW V6 (V6a)?
post #1995 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovadon View Post

Wednesday September 18 was an active day for FW V6. It showed up in post #5 as 0913_v6a_QAM_only_virtual.zip prior to 8:20 PM EDT/5:20 PM PDT. The - - -_virtual.bin file size is 3,228 KB, the same size as the usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin dated 9/10/2013.

Then about an hour later IVIEW posted firmware "that corresponds to the remote" on the iviewus.com web site: v6flash18.bin and v6usb_upgrade_all_flash18.bin. I tried several times downloading it for a better result than a v6usb_upgrade_all_flash18.bin file at 0 KB and a v6usb_upgrade_all_flash18.bin.part file at 1,023 KB, but got the same result every time. I figure these files aren't going to work based on file size, so I haven't tried to use them, and have been waiting for others to report. Are these just a corrupted version of the same FW V6 (V6a)?

Are you using the links at the top of the page where is begins "Download and copy..." or at the bottom of the page. The bottom links are junk files. The top links work. The iview site is notoriously slow and your download is probably getting interrupted before it completes. I downloaded both yesterday and today from the top links and the upgrade file is size 3228KB. I haven't loaded it on because I loaded it from videobruce's link earlier. If you have that one, which it sounds like you do, there's no reason to bother with the slow download from iview. I checked and they have the same file hash.
videobruce likes this.
post #1996 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know why they are still posting both files. The "flash" file is NOT needed in spite of the text in red. It's the "upgrade_all_flash" you need. Notice in the instructions the file that is chosen to flash wink.gif The two links at the bottom of the page are dead links.
The file in post 5 is this file. As I stated , to make things clearer I names it V6a since it is the 2nd version 6 (just as there were two V3's). Better that than coming up with another number V8 or V9 or something.

BTW, I added a well written manual at the top of the list.

whatsacubit likes this.

post #1997 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know why they are still posting both files. The "flash" file is NOT needed in spite of the text in red. It's the "upgrade_all_flash" you need. Notice in the instructions the file that is chosen to flash wink.gif

I especially don't understand why they don't get rid of the flash file when their server is so painfully slow. The flash file is bigger than the upgrade file and people can't even get that downloaded. Not to mention just simplifying the process. Anyway, thanks for posting it in post 5 to make it easier.
post #1998 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I asked about the "flash" file and was told a couple of months ago something about that being what the flash file is derived form (or something like that). It didn't make much sense to me. confused.gif

post #1999 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Evelyn said the flash file is only used by the developers and not actually needed for the upgrade, which is when I stopped using it. So, it makes no sense to have people download it and to stress in the instructions to make sure to download both files.

I hope they upgrade their server when they put up the new website. I know it's not a matter of user load because not that many people are downloading from that site 24 hours a day.
videobruce likes this.
post #2000 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Are you using the links at the top of the page where is begins "Download and copy..." or at the bottom of the page. The bottom links are junk files. The top links work. The iview site is notoriously slow and your download is probably getting interrupted before it completes. I downloaded both yesterday and today from the top links and the upgrade file is size 3228KB. I haven't loaded it on because I loaded it from videobruce's link earlier. If you have that one, which it sounds like you do, there's no reason to bother with the slow download from iview. I checked and they have the same file hash.

These don't work for me on Qam the first one records fine and then erases all of other daily and weekly recorder settings .I thought these were new for the new remote. I had already tried last ones before with the same result so i will go back to V7 which work for me
Joe
post #2001 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobedo View Post

These don't work for me on Qam the first one reorders fine and then erases all of other daily and weekly recorder settings .I thought these were new for the new remote. I had already tried last ones before with the same result so i will go back to V7 which work for me
Joe

Yes, this firmware corresponds with the new remote. You can use it with the old remote as long as you keep in mind the changes. The main one most people will probably not be aware of, so I will post here to avoid a bunch of posts about it being broken, is that the Pause button is no longer used to start timeshifting. The Play button should be used if you are on v6 with an original remote. That also goes for pausing playback - use play instead.

And yes, if you are having QAM problems, you should remain on v7. Hopefully v10 will resolve this but we never know until it happens.
videobruce likes this.
post #2002 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Yes I used the links at the top of the iviewus.com web page. That the download probably got interrupted makes sense to me. Since it is the same as the 9/10/2013 that videobruce emailed me on 9/13, I will keep that earlier one until something better comes along, meanwhile I am running FW V7 which probably won't work with the new remote. So that something better is likely to be FW V10.

Thanks for the response and explanation
Quote:

I don't know why they are still posting both files. The "flash" file is NOT needed in spite of the text in red. It's the "upgrade_all_flash" you need. Notice in the instructions the file that is chosen to flash wink.gif The two links at the bottom of the page are dead links.
The file in post 5 is this file. As I stated , to make things clearer I names it V6a since it is the 2nd version 6 (just as there were two V3's). Better that than coming up with another number V8 or V9 or something.

BTW, I added a well written manual at the top of the list..

I don't understand what list locates the well-written manual - post #5, near where the firmware is posted?.
post #2003 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
 Evelyn said the flash file is only used by the developers and not actually needed for the upgrade, which is when I stopped using it.
Quote:
 I asked about the "flash" file and was told a couple of months ago something about that being what the flash file is derived form (or something like that). It didn't make much sense to me. confused.gif

Some of the people here probably suspect this same thing.  I'm making an old school guess and I think the file is a total prom FW layout, including dead space filled with nulls/zeros.  Not that there's any way you'd pull the chip and replace it, but most proms need a full address/data table to complete to program. The file they provide as "all flash.bin" runs a "fill with x" at the end of the code.  It's a reference to the size of progammable area, as well - 4096KB (appx 4 MB).  How convenient that the file size is a power of 2.

So, for all the options we all want, ALL of the code needs to squeeze into 4 MB.  Tight code helps, but often patches are added to fix problems from the original code with whatever room is left...  So choose your features carefully :D 

post #2004 of 3900 Old 09-19-2013, 09:37 PM

As a follow up to my last post, if the games are in the code, iView, they can go if they reside within the programmable firmware memory space.  Be my guest and blow them away..Anyone object?

post #2005 of 3900 Old 09-20-2013, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Evelyn said the flash file is only used by the developers and not actually needed for the upgrade,
Robert said about the same thing. I ask for it to be removed.

Quote:
Yes, this firmware corresponds with the new remote.
For the um-teenth time, you can use either remote.

Innovadon;
Why don't you just use the file in post 5??

Quote:
So choose your features carefully
Get rid of those silly games and those annoying wipe patterns in photo viewer.

post #2006 of 3900 Old 09-20-2013, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For the um-teenth time, you can use either remote.

You seem to have only read the first line of that post. The following line is: "You can use it with the old remote as long as you keep in mind the changes." That's important to keep in mind because it does correspond to the new remote and buttons and functions have changed.
post #2007 of 3900 Old 09-20-2013, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
the Pause button is no longer used to start timeshifting.
And from your post, that was the only change as far as the remote is concerned. The other changes happened a few FW versions ago.
So you can use this with the old remote. The few changes from the 1st version do not cripple operation.

post #2008 of 3900 Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And from your post, that was the only change as far as the remote is concerned. The other changes happened a few FW versions ago.
So you can use this with the old remote. The few changes from the 1st version do not cripple operation.

Well, the pause button now acts as a pvr button as well. I already said twice you can use this with the old remote so I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me. I'm just trying to help people out who would otherwise think the software broke the timeshifting and pause functions by telling them to be aware of the changes.
post #2009 of 3900 Old 09-20-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

I followed Evelyn's link to the new firmware and downloaded it with no issue as far as download speed. Less than a minute. I'm on slow cable too. I will not load it until I get the new remote. I'm happy with the current firmware so far and not sure the 6A firmware will benefit an OTA user.

Maybe I did my download before the IVIEW owners got on all at once and overwhelmed their servers! biggrin.gif
post #2010 of 3900 Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 PM

I would like to be able to hook up an external USB hard drive to the iView and my PC at the same time so I don't need to unplug the iView and plug the drive into the PC to transfer or watch files on the PC. Is there a cable or USB switch that will allow the iView to write to the USB drive and also allow the PC to read from the USB without moving cables each time? Thanks.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page