iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #181 of 3802 Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AND I forgot to mention: If I start the recording manually, it will record until I shut it off (or until the HDD fills up, I guess). It's only shutting down prematurely when recording via the timer setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3802 Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Do you another HDD you could try? How about another enclosure?
Run a diag. program on that drive in case to see if it turns up any errors..

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #183 of 3802 Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am just going this thread today and I am considering this. Despite all of the problems, is it worth the modest price?
post #184 of 3802 Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I am just going this thread today and I am considering this. Despite all of the problems, is it worth the modest price?
You'd have to make that determination yourself, for me I thought it was such a value that I purchased a second one as a spare(they are down below $40 now) smile.gif
It's biggest issues are the weekly bug(best to not rely on weekly events rather one time events) and midnight bug(where events spanning midnight record forever) which can be worked abound by programming 2 events, one ending at 23:59 and the next starting at 00:00 to the end of your event.
Other than that you'll just have to deal with it's crummy remote(which I guess you can use a universal) it's single page PSIP guide(which you can work around with online sources like Titan or Zap2it) and it's inability to record a new event while watching a old event. Also events can only be programmed by start/stop times, no programming from it's crummy PSIP EPG.
The single driving force behind this box is it's very low price, that and it's nice to be able to play your recordings(or copy them to a PC) in a standard format, not like some other DVRs. Oh it's also nice it can use a standard USB HDD or thumb drive.
post #185 of 3802 Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For $40, why not? Something to play around with. wink.gif

Test tuner:
Reception problems in another locating,
Confirming availability of stations,
Discovering physical channel numbers,
Small signal level indicator for antenna orientation where there ability was not available.
Etc.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #186 of 3802 Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 AM

Liked: 16
Since I found the weekly twelve day bug last week, I've also found that if you set a daily timer it records every six days. It's only good for one time recordings until we get new firmware.
post #187 of 3802 Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is a e-mail I just received from iView;
Quote:
Hi Bruce,
The IV-4000stb will not be under production. We are trying to improved the IV-3500STB at this moment will hear me soon once I got the new firmware.
Best Regards,
Technical Support
Robert Chui
robertchui@iviewus.com

post #188 of 3802 Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Liked: 16
Good to know they are working on new firmware to fix the problems. Like jjeff I also purchased two when I got mine about a month ago.
post #189 of 3802 Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Actually, I think it is a "hard drive overheating" issue; I was checking it last night while it was recording and it just abruptly shut off after about 45 min. of recording. I checked the hard drive enclosure and it was approximately the same temperature as the surface of the sun (or thereabouts).....

seriously, though, it was HOT. I ordered an enclosure with a built-in fan (as mentioned elsewhere in the forums) and I'll give that a try.
post #190 of 3802 Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Leave the enclosure open and try it. HDD's do get really hot these days. It seems as it is a accepted situation. rolleyes.gif
Since you don't need a 7200rpm drive, I would suggest a 2 1/2" 5200 RPM Laptop drive in a separate enclosure.

post #191 of 3802 Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM

I noticed the small recordings - if you have the "timeshift" set to 512MB, it will record in 512MB chunks. You'll have to copy them together if you want to use them as a full file. If you set at 2GB, you can get about 30 minutes.

This really seems odd; you'd think it would just make the file as large as it needs to be, but be aware that if you record 30 min and it's set in timeshift to 512mb, you will get a group of files, .mts, .mts1, .mts2, .mts3

The recordings look great and they're easy to work with, but sure hoping with new firmware these bugs will be resolved. To me the fiile should be as large as it needs to be. Is anyone getting the box to record in larger files? Maybe I'm making an error.
post #192 of 3802 Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds as you are going about this the wrong way. Timeshifting is temporary, just for watching 'live TV', not to save.
If you want to save something, you either manually schedule something or hit the record button, then stop it afterwards.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

post #193 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been missing probably 1/2 my events lately mad.gif I wake up and the iView is on(which is my first sign things didn't go right, normally it should be off) and nothing has been recorder. All I can think of is that I'm forgetting to change the STUPID default view option to record. Now why and the heck whoever programmed this thing would default a programming screen to VIEW(and not record) is beyond me confused.gif I'm going to have to pay more attention to that last line to see if thats the case or if for some reason it's just not recording correctly. The next morning the event is gone off the list so I can't tell anything from that.
I'm also getting tired of the midnight bug, Kimmel is supposed to run until 12:02 am in my market but because of the iView I have to stop the recording at 11:59pm unless I want it to run all night rolleyes.gif
post #194 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Now why and the heck whoever programmed this thing would default a programming screen to VIEW(and not record) is beyond me
I also complained about that to him. My list has removing the entry entirely. Same goes for the TV/Radio button and entry. This was designed to be a tuner. The DVR is a option and a only a 2nd thought.

If it any consolation, none of my "Daily" recordings have recorded either. New bug: 'Daily' only records once. What was the deal with "Weekly" recordings??

post #195 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is the 2nd revised 'fixes' list. Scrutinize this and add your comments. (I didn't include a re-written manual since I know that is in the works);

1. Display the actual channel numbers on the display and all of the on screen menus. No four digit numbers unless all four digits are required (example: 23.12) This is very confusing and not user friendly to see C0012 shown when it actually is channel 47.1 (for example),
2. Add ability to initiate a record entry directly in the Guide instead of redirected to the manual scheduling screen. This defeats the purpose of the Guide. This is a huge disadvantage,
3a. Remove "Channel Type", "Channel No." and "Mode" from the manual schedule screen.
3b. Rename "Channel Name" to "Station",
3c. Add "Daily" (M-F) to the choices for recording,
4a Many times, only a few listings appear for each station when you scroll through the guide.
4b. When you switch back and forth between channels in the guide, the listings till appear for the previous channel. If you enter the guide from a channel, the full listings appear. Switch to another station, the same problem, listing from that previous channel show, or limited entries for the new station will show,
4c. A maximum of 11 program listings per station show, no matter how many the station is actually providing,
5. Add a manual method to enter the correct time. Relying on stations time isn't always accurate. There is also a problem using the GMT offset which can be off by one hour.
6. Switch to 12 hour clock format. Or provide a choice of both,[/B]
7. Daily scheduled recordings record only for the 1st episode. Weekly recordings for 12 days
8. On CATV systems, all the channels are labeled "0-0". 1/3 of the encrypted channels are not 'skipped', and on some systems, few if any 'in the clear' channels show,
9. Recordings that span midnight will not allow any additional scheduled events to be added. Also, the recording will not stop when it should,
10. Display is too bright. It would be hard to use this in a bedroom or any dark room. Fast fix, add a sheet of gray or colored film to reduce brightness and/or change the color to something other than red,
11. Add a record indicator on the display. You can't tell if it is recording or not if the TV is not on.
12. Add the ability to enter a 'dash' for sub channels,
13. The info banner stays on screen to long. It's also too large. Reduce 10 sec. down to 4 sec or add adjustable timeout options.
14. The selection and playback process is confusing. Normally, using the navigation keys, then pressing either play or select starts playback in full screen,
15. Editing program names and station call letters,remove those four non characters on the keyboard which are useless. Replace with a 'space', 'dot' & 'dash',
16. Remove all references to “Radio” This isn't a FTA receiver. That only makes things more complicated,
17. Rename "Program" to "Channel" in all of the menu screens. These are channels, not programs,
18. Add a conformation step when using the 'Auto search' since it's easy to hit it by mistake and wipe out all your channels when you wanted to do a manual search,
19. Add a confirmation when using 'Manual search' to save new channels. Return back to the manual search screen after entry is saved instead of exiting. It's a real annoyance to re-enter the screen again to add additional channels.
20. Remove those four choices for sorting the channels. They do not have any affect on channel order. Also, those labels are not typically used. The ability to move individual channels is already there,
21. Rename “Book” in the manual record screen to 'Schedule' and remove the “Book Info” since both do the same thing.
22. Volume & mute have no effect on the HDMI output when in Raw mode (for 5.1 audio),
23. Remove the need for a password in the menu. It's not necessary.
24. When in the menu, do not use the term “boot” on the display.
25. Change the default HDMI audio to “Raw HDMI On”,
26. Rename “Movie” in USB mode to “Recordings”. These aren't always movies that are recorded.
27. There is no slow motion function,
28. Change time zone names of cities to 'standard time” designations: EST, CST etc.
29. Remove the “TV Format” entry in the menu since there is no “PAL” format in N. America
30. During recording, when you click on 'Info', there are two entries that should be removed; “Max record size” which seems to be a duplicate of “Disk free space” and “Cur play size” which always shows “0KB”,
31. Is that above pop up suppose to display during playback? If so, it doesn't.
32. There is no mention of the term “ATSC” in any of your literature or in the on line manual. References to “DVB-T” should be removed,
33. Revise the features on page 3; change DVB-T FTA to ATSC OTA, remove that incorrect “400 channel capacity”, change 570i & p to 480i & p.
34. Revise the specs on page 18; change frequency range to 57-803 MHz, bandwidth to 6 MHz, add "ATSC" to demodulation and remove “DVB-T”.
35. Remove all of those distracting, unnecessary digital wipe patterns in the photo viewer. Add a simple 'dissolve' in their place,
36. Unable to return to Photo configure from Multimedia to change settings,
37. Use the lower two of the forward and back buttons to advance or go back in photo mode.

Remote;
1. The remote is way too small. Buttons are too close together. Text is hard to read,
2. Move the number pad to the bottom and the keypad layout to the conventional telephone layout,
3. Rename “Hold” to “Schedule” and “Recall” to "Return”,
4. Add dedicated channel up/dn buttons and leave the up/dn navigation keys for a single purpose,
5. Remove the duplicated volume up/dn from the left/right navigation buttons,
6. Add a separate button for timeshifting. Leave pause by itself.

revised #23

post #196 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Sounds as you are going about this the wrong way. Timeshifting is temporary, just for watching 'live TV', not to save.
If you want to save something, you either manually schedule something or hit the record button, then stop it afterwards.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Thanks!

All I know is once I changed this to 2GB, the files I was recording were no longer broken into 512MB chunks on the hard drive. Now, I am often taking the drive out and watching them on something else, but they were broken into smaller pieces that I had to copy together in order to view the whole thing.

I am not using timeshifting live, just making recordings from the schedule. I'll keep playing with it and report back, going to record a longer event tonight and see if when it gets to 2GB if the files are broken into pieces still.
post #197 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM

For firmware fixes; fix weekly recording to record every 7 days instead of 12 days, and daily recordings to record every day instead of every 6 days.
post #198 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the 2nd revised 'fixes' list. Scrutinize this and add your comments. (I didn't include a re-written manual since I know that is in the works);
Looks great smile.gif
post #199 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 14
I received my 3500 a few days ago and have been fooling around with it some.
Found one problem in regards to setting a scheduled program recording from a CBS affiliate channel that does not transmit program listings in their signal.
If I program a recording time and then power off the device, what happens is it will turn itself on at the proper time but will not initiate a record mode.
Then it doesn't turn itself back off at the end time that is set, instead it stays on.

It will however record this station if after a scheduled program recording time is set and I don't turn off the unit, it will record correctly and then with prompt box "Power Off? Yes/No..
It then turns itself off if No isn't selected.

All other channels work for a scheduled program recording and they have program listings transmitted in their signal.

This sort of sucks as this is the only CBS station I am able to get.
Yet despite this, even with all its quirks, I really like this device.
None of the other quirks are that bad for me but I do wish there was a way to change bitrates for recordings...I doubt that will happen though.

Sort of a side question, has anyone here tried to author to BD or AVCHD disc?
If so, how are the results?
post #200 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post

Found one problem in regards to setting a scheduled program recording from a CBS affiliate channel that does not transmit program listings in their signal.
If I program a recording time and then power off the device, what happens is it will turn itself on at the proper time but will not initiate a record mode.
Then it doesn't turn itself back off at the end time that is set, instead it stays on.

It will however record this station if after a scheduled program recording time is set and I don't turn off the unit, it will record correctly and then with prompt box "Power Off? Yes/No..
Interesting, I've missed several scheduled events but chalked it up to not changing the last line from VIEW to RECORD, are you sure you did that or you quite positive it relates to missing listings? The scenario you described of being ON in the morning is exactly what I'm getting when my event did not record, if it recorded the iView will be OFF.
I find it odd that missing listings should have any effect on it recording or not since the iView doesn't really use the listings but rather events are scheduled with ON/OFF times but I guess I'll pay closer attention to the listings for events that don't record for me.
post #201 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Hey guys,

I have one of these ordered from Amazon, but they are temporarily out of stock. If it doesn't ship soon, I'll get one from another vendor there that has them available now. I've read this thread through and I can't believe no one commented about no digital audio optical/RCA out. Lots of the TVs sold back in the day without HD tuners didn't have HDMI. My RPTV has DVI and component only, which would be fine if I could connect audio from the 3500STB to my A/V receiver by way of an optical/RCA digital connection. That said, I look forward to getting the converter and may not be able to wait for Amazon to restock. I chose to wait for Amazon to restock for a couple of reasons. One is Amazon's great customer service and the other is in hopes of getting the latest build which may have some improvements.

Jman
post #202 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It does have coax audio out but not optical, which I haven't personally used. The coax audio out is near the RF connectors.
post #203 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Then the system isn't turning itself back on. Never thought of that scenario yet.

But, are you saying, it's only that station and all the others are recording more than once if the box is off?? confused.gif

post #204 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

All I can think of is that I'm forgetting to change the STUPID default view option to record. Now why and the heck whoever programmed this thing would default a programming screen to VIEW(and not record) is beyond me confused.gif

One novel purpose for using "watching" timers on DVRs like this which normally turn themselves off after making a recording is to prevent them from doing so. If you want it to remain on after it finishes a recording, you can set a "watching" timer after the recording event to keep it from shutting down. It is, of course, better if the default timer type is for making recordings, though.
post #205 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Interesting, I've missed several scheduled events but chalked it up to not changing the last line from VIEW to RECORD, are you sure you did that or you quite positive it relates to missing listings? The scenario you described of being ON in the morning is exactly what I'm getting when my event did not record, if it recorded the iView will be OFF.
I find it odd that missing listings should have any effect on it recording or not since the iView doesn't really use the listings but rather events are scheduled with ON/OFF times but I guess I'll pay closer attention to the listings for events that don't record for me.

Yes, I have repeated it with the same results over 5 times.
My guess it is keying on the program listing...at least one line of info
before it gives a go-ahead to record.

Like I mentioned in other post, if the unit is already on, it allows record mode then turns off
at the stop time.
And it doesn't affect instant record mode.

Perhaps this won't affect others but who knows?
If when the unit turns on and it doesn't get any reading off the program listing for whatever
reason, it could affect whether the unit goes into record mode.
post #206 of 3802 Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Then the system isn't turning itself back on. Never thought of that scenario yet.

But, are you saying, it's only that station and all the others are recording more than once if the box is off?? confused.gif

Yes, all other stations, it seems to be working correctly, that is if I schedule a recording session and turn off unit, it will turn itself on at appropriate time, record, then turn itself back off correctly. ( haven't had time to try and record all of them yet)
The recording will be in folder on hard drive.

There could be another explanation for what is happening, I notice it doesn't even have the call letters for that CBS station.
post #207 of 3802 Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 AM

Ok, I was wrong, I accidentally set a program to record and forgot to change the program to the station I desired and left it on the CBS station...the one without call letters or program listings and it recorded it.
I set it for an hour, the tests that I had performed earlier were smaller segments, one 15 minutes, a 10 minute and I forget the length on the others. (on the "problem" channel)

Clearly something isn't quite right, perhaps it doesn't like my hard drive...but it should since it seems to record other channels as I set them...even short segments like above.
It is a seagate goflex external 500 2.5 drive.
I haven't had any problems with this drive in a variety of other functions, as copying and even using it as a high def. video server.

As I record program on various channels, I will keep a tally of how it goes and if it does record or not and which channels.

Still for what little it costs and for what it does, I am not disappointed and perhaps through trial and error can find out what is does IRT this.

Hopefully the company will be willing with feedback to make it a better product and if they do well, they can release a better one in the future.

There is a lot to like to like about this 3500.

Can it work with a self powered 3.5 drive?
I could add a powered usb port between it and the 3500 if that would help...
Though I like the idea of using a 2.5 and allow it to draw power to turn it off and on.
post #208 of 3802 Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
All I know is once I changed this to 2GB, the files I was recording were no longer broken into 512MB chunks on the hard drive.
Sounds as it was a hard drive formatting and/or type issue. What drive models are they??

Quote:
One novel purpose for using "watching" timers on DVRs like this which normally turn themselves off after making a recording is to prevent them from doing so. If you want it to remain on after it finishes a recording, you can set a "watching" timer after the recording event to keep it from shutting down. It
I was under the impression that this would only just turn the box on and change the channel if off, or provide a on-screen message that a program was beginning when you were watching something else.
Remember, this was primary designed as a 'tuner'. wink.gif

Quote:
I find it odd that missing listings should have any effect on it recording or not since the iView doesn't really use the listings but rather events are scheduled with ON/OFF times
There is no connection to the manual schedule screen and the Guide. It shouldn't be any different if you schedule a recording from the guide, or just open the manual scheduling screen. Both do the same thing.

I see another easy way to make a mistake other than not changing that last entry from "view" to "record". Not changing the channel number, since it always reverts to the lowest channel no matter what channel you are on. (I'll add that to the list)

corrected 2nd last sentence

post #209 of 3802 Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ok, I was wrong, I accidentally set a program to record and forgot to change the program to the station I desired and left it on the CBS station...the one without call letters or program listings and it recorded it.
Is this 'blank' station the lowest channel in your channel map? You realize you can edit call letters and/or station names don't you?? wink.gif

Take a look here. What I have done is add the virtual channel number to each station so it shows up correctly no matter what screen you are in. Though, it probably would be better if the number followed the call letters. Since there is no space, dot or dash, you have to use the comma to separate numbers from letters. The 1st pic shows the 1st channel w/o editing, the next two channels have been edited. The 2nd pic is where this really helps.

Especially note, behind the "add event" pop up box, the added channel numbers & those unneeded, confusing entries (channel type, channel number & mode);

post #210 of 3802 Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see another easy way to make a mistake other than not changing that 1st entry from "view" to "record". Not changing the channel number, since it always reverts to the lowest channel no matter what channel you are on. (I'll add that to the list)
But if that were the case then I should get a recording but just the wrong channel.... I'm not even getting a recording and that also wouldn't explain why the iView hasn't turned itself off on days it misses the event.
I agree about not liking that it defaults to the lowest channel all the time, every other recording device I've used defaults to the channel you are actually tuned to, makes it handier to be able to bypass that option. As it is I generally tune to the channel I want to record and when I get to the part where it wants the channel number I just enter the number that is currently displayed on the front of the iView.
BTW the channel and program I'm generally trying to record is Jimmy Kimmel on ABC(C006 in my market) and it does have a channel name on the iView(KSTPDT1) and I believe has program listings for Kimmel but I'll try and pay more attention next week when I try and record it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page