iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #2071 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the new remote. They are a definite improvement over the last one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msayer View Post

When did AVS become so hostile? Evelyn asked for feedback and I reacted to the new information she provided about not being able to provide a firmware fix to the clock offset. My clock is not even in the same year as we are because none of my stations provide the signal for which the iView is looking (or my cable provider strips it out). So my box thinks it is hours and minutes later than it is in August of 2011.

I can get the hour close with the time zone setting but find it hard to believe that a similar setting couldn't be added for minutes, day/date. I am not whining, just saying that if that's something that will require new hardware to support I will wait for that.

I went ahead and purchased the new remote and I must echo everyone's praise, it is a vast improvement. I do share the play/pause concern already expressed but please let's all be a little more accommodating to one another.

Sent from my DA220HQL using Tapatalk 4

Its the WOW factor .In the first post it talks about how someone discovered all this 40$ Iview will do .Then they started comparing it with a 500$ Tivo.
Joe
post #2073 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 03:36 PM

I just got my NEW remote and it makes a big difference. I would've considered returning the unit then waiting for the newer version. I also decided to update my firmware but now my QAM tuner is dead. I cannot get any channels above 13-2.  Using the QAM tuner on my Samsung TV I get about 20 channels but now the iview3500 QAM tuner is having problems.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm using version v6. The iview website appears to have been updated.

post #2074 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
In the first post it talks about how someone discovered all this 40$ Iview will do .Then they started comparing it with a 500$ Tivo.
iView wins hands down. wink.gif

davetek;
Change your firmware versions. The one I have in post 5 will only let it see stations with virtual channel numbers. The others allow any encrypted station, but those don't skip encrypted stations.
Are you sure you have it set to CATV, not antenna (OTA)?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2075 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM

yes, I have it set to CABLE and not Antenna (Air). Do I need the "flash.bin" file as well? I will use the "0913_V6a_QAM_only_virtual.bin" to try and restore QAM capability. Evelyn was supposed to send me the older flash but she still hasn't sent me any firmware.

post #2076 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 137
That version will not show any station (channel) that only has a physical channel number (no virtual numbers as in the number a OTA station uses based on their old analog number). Prior to that the other versions will list just about everything including most/many of the encrypted channels which means you will have a sore finger "skipping" all of those (depending on your system) unless you do a manual channel add (assuming you know the physical channel numbers your MSO uses for your OTA (and any other) in the clear stations (which most would not know).

Confused?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2077 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetek View Post

yes, I have it set to CABLE and not Antenna (Air). Do I need the "flash.bin" file as well? I will use the "0913_V6a_QAM_only_virtual.bin" to try and restore QAM capability. Evelyn was supposed to send me the older flash but she still hasn't sent me any firmware.

You don't need the flash.bin. Here is version 7 in post #1260: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread/1200_100#post_23580255
Version 3 also has QAM problems according to others (I don't have cable) so the consensus seems to be to use v7.
post #2078 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 PM

I too have to thank Evelyn and the iView team for the new remote. I got mine a few days ago and it's a nice improvement over the original. I had been using the Homeworx remote and v12 firmware, which was adequate. But this is better with the new remote and firmware. I didn't do a factory reset, so I still have all my QAM channels, although I am sticking to OTA for now. I have noticed that since I switched back to iView and their latest firmware, the signal strength of my OTA channels seems much stronger. I don't know how the firmware can affect that or if it's just false readings, but most of my stations show at much closer to 100% than with the Homeworx firmware. I haven't moved the antenna at all.

In a strange twist of ironic luck, the new remote's better sensitivity has actually improved my remote interference problems. Some of you may recall me posting about the interference I had with the iView's remote and my Westinghouse TV. Well, the Homeworx remote had no such conflict, so in that regard it was a great solution. But I wanted to try the new and improved iView remote to see if the problem was still there. It was. However, because the new remote is so much more sensitive, I don't have to aim it directly at the box, so it's easy to avoid hitting the tv at the same time. As a bonus feature, I've figured out how certain buttons impact the tv and use it to my advantage. For example, pressing ch. 1 powers my tv on/off. Ch. 2 changes input to DVI, what I need for my blu ray player. Ch. 5 changes input to YPBR1, which is what I need for watching tv. So for me at least, the universal functionality of the new remote is even better!
post #2079 of 3682 Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
In a strange twist of ironic luck, the new remote's better sensitivity has actually improved my remote interference problems. Some of you may recall me posting about the interference I had with the iView's remote and my Westinghouse TV. Well, the Homeworx remote had no such conflict, so in that regard it was a great solution. But I wanted to try the new and improved iView remote to see if the problem was still there. It was. However, because the new remote is so much more sensitive, I don't have to aim it directly at the box, so it's easy to avoid hitting the tv at the same time. As a bonus feature, I've figured out how certain buttons impact the tv and use it to my advantage. For example, pressing ch. 1 powers my tv on/off. Ch. 2 changes input to DVI, what I need for my blu ray player. Ch. 5 changes input to YPBR1, which is what I need for watching tv. So for me at least, the universal functionality of the new remote is even better!

I remember your discussion on the board about this, it was your main reason for moving to the Homeworx FW.

I wonder if some of the same firmware code/coders worked on the Magnavox unit that you have, and used virtually the same remote code./signature.  It has nothing to do with Mstar per se, but the Westinghouse might very possibly also have an Mstar SoC, even when the Homeworx firmware didn't have this problem for you. 

Fsu1mike, What's the model number and system info of your Westinghouse?  Please post it - it may be chasing a rainbow, but it may provide some more insight if the Westinghouse also has an Mstar SoC.  A lot of sharp people here on this board...

At the time these were first being sold, the Westinghouse got the best bang for the buck vote. 

post #2080 of 3682 Old 09-28-2013, 06:14 AM

Whatsacubit:

My Westinghouse model is LTV-32W1.

Not sure what other information is needed, but under system info it lists the following:

Source: YPbPr 1
Resolution: 1920 x 540
H. Frequency: 33KHz
V. Frequency: 60HZ
Date: 2005-4-12
Version: 1-12
post #2081 of 3682 Old 09-28-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 12

fsu1mikeg

I wonder if there's a Harmony remote code for the Westinghouse that would affect the iView similar to like you are describing.  Do you have one?  I can't recall if you went to the Homeworx FW to fix your problem or just moved the box.  If not, maybe someone else can try it.

I just did an image search on the system board, but all found was a fuzzy picture.  I'll poke around a bit more, but it probably has nothing to do with the iView SoC.  Thx

post #2082 of 3682 Old 09-28-2013, 11:12 AM

I don't have a Harmony remote. I did get the Homeworx remote to use the better (at the time) firmware and also to eliminate the interference issue. It worked well enough. I think I can live with the quirks of the new iView remote with my Westinghouse, because it is overall a better experience for me.
post #2083 of 3682 Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Liked: 13
I am interested in this unit so I went to look at it on iviewus site odd under iview box it has gorilla box then you have a choice of looking at iview 3500stb and 3500stbII

What difference if any between the two and why the gorilla box?
post #2084 of 3682 Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

I am interested in this unit so I went to look at it on iviewus site odd under iview box it has gorilla box then you have a choice of looking at iview 3500stb and 3500stbII

What difference if any between the two and why the gorilla box?

The "II" box has an updated (better) remote and is supposed to have a slightly dimmer LED display (the original one is very bright). That is the only difference that we've been told. No one here (unless someone has beta tested and couldn't mention it) has the 2nd version yet so we don't know if the LED really is dimmer or if there are any other differences. Iview just updated their website this weekend. They never did tell us why they were calling it Gorilla either.

If you were going to order directly from iView, I would go with the "II" version since both versions are selling for the same price and everyone seems to agree that the new remote (which some of us do have) is much better than the original one. However, the original box is for sale for much less at amazon and newegg and other places. So, if you don't care about the remote, you can save money by buying the original. I assume that eventually the 2nd version will be for sale on other sites as well, but if you want to buy right now, I don't see it any place else. I do not know whether when it shows up on amazon or elsewhere if it will be the same price or higher than the original.
post #2085 of 3682 Old 09-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Big fail on the new iView website. Downloads are broken. Both the old firmware and new firmware fail. Very bad English all over the site. Broken links all over the site. Text links that are supposed to be hyperlinks that are not. Filler material left in all over the place, including fake phone numbers and ads for non-existant and un-related products. Everything is disjointed. Dozens of other problems as well and that's just taking a quick look. Not ready for prime time iView.
jazzy01 likes this.
post #2086 of 3682 Old 09-29-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Big fail on the new iView website. Downloads are broken. Both the old firmware and new firmware fail. Very bad English all over the site. Broken links all over the site. Text links that are supposed to be hyperlinks that are not. Filler material left in all over the place, including fake phone numbers and ads for non-existant and un-related products. Everything is disjointed. Dozens of other problems as well and that's just taking a quick look. Not ready for prime time iView.
Just wonder what Browser you are using? Please try it with Chrome or Firefox. I seem to work a better for me.
post #2087 of 3682 Old 09-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by png5 View Post

Just wonder what Browser you are using? Please try it with Chrome or Firefox. I seem to work a better for me.

No, it's not a browser problem - all the things I mentioned, and the things I didn't mention as well, are still broken in any browser.
jazzy01 likes this.
post #2088 of 3682 Old 09-29-2013, 02:16 PM

you are correct. www.iviewus.com is completely update with a lot of issue.
You can see some version of FW at http://www.iviewus.com/download/firmware/
I don't see any reference to 3500.
Evelyn can help to clearify where is IV3500STBII FW

There are 3 version FW at http://www.iviewus.com/download/firmware/
usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin ======> V3
usb_upgrade_all_flashV7.bin ======> V7
usb_upgrade_allflashQAM.bin ======> some version of V7
post #2089 of 3682 Old 09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by png5 View Post

you are correct. www.iviewus.com is completely update with a lot of issue.
You can see some version of FW at http://www.iviewus.com/download/firmware/
I don't see any reference to 3500.
Evelyn can help to clearify where is IV3500STBII FW

There are 3 version FW at http://www.iviewus.com/download/firmware/
usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin ======> V3
usb_upgrade_all_flashV7.bin ======> V7
usb_upgrade_allflashQAM.bin ======> some version of V7

I checked those files earlier and the hashes don't match with the versions given to us so people should be aware of that before loading them.
post #2090 of 3682 Old 09-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

I checked those files earlier and the hashes don't match with the versions given to us so people should be aware of that before loading them.

I download and test those file on my IV3500. Those file can do firmware update and get to Menu and run with existing configuration. I have not reset back to factory default setting. Now I am back to latest V6.
post #2091 of 3682 Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1mikeg View Post

I have noticed that since I switched back to iView and their latest firmware, the signal strength of my OTA channels seems much stronger. I don't know how the firmware can affect that or if it's just false readings, but most of my stations show at much closer to 100% than with the Homeworx firmware. I haven't moved the antenna at all.

Did the new firmware improve or fix the "double searching" tuning hiccup that some OTA channels have. That is the main factor in recording reliability (other than the clock) that I've had (as long as I stay away from those channels everything records fine). If that issue has been fixed, then it will be worth my while to switch back to iView firmware from the Homeworx firmware.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #2092 of 3682 Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Did the new firmware improve or fix the "double searching" tuning hiccup that some OTA channels have. That is the main factor in recording reliability (other than the clock) that I've had (as long as I stay away from those channels everything records fine). If that issue has been fixed, then it will be worth my while to switch back to iView firmware from the Homeworx firmware.

No, that's still the same. Mine does it in triple on a couple channels.
post #2093 of 3682 Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Can you explain this a little more as I don't quite follow and it may be because I had no issues with the firmware ever with tuning.
post #2094 of 3682 Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM

I just received the new remote which I find far superior to the old one that came with my box. I find the programmable buttons on the remote very useful, the layout much better, and the range of the new remote much better.

The most annoying thing about the box is not being able to set the clock manually.  There are 3 stations (OTA) that are owned by the same company that broadcasts a time that is consistently gaining time.  I have written and talked to the offending parent company on many occasions and while they do reset it accurately, the clock seems to gain a few minutes a week (right now all three stations are about 6 minutes fast).  The rest of the stations in Erie seem accurate and are able to maintain that accuracy.  A previous post in this thread recommended that if the device cannot be programmed to manually set the clock maybe the device can be programmed to pull the time from only one source instead of changing depending on what station it is on. I think this idea would be the next best thing then having the ability to set the clock manually. The difference in time between the stations make it impossible to record from one station to another not knowing which station it will set the recording to.

I also have no real use for the games that are in this current iteration of the firmware and think that the programming space can be better used else ware.

post #2095 of 3682 Old 09-30-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevron2 View Post

A previous post in this thread recommended that if the device cannot be programmed to manually set the clock maybe the device can be programmed to pull the time from only one source instead of changing depending on what station it is on. I think this idea would be the next best thing then having the ability to set the clock manually.

If the supposition that the iView uses PSIP to reset its clock every second is correct, then even that wouldn't work, as the iView is forced to use the clock of whatever station it's currently tuned to. The only way to overcome these limitations is to get better hardware for the next model, which hopefully will include multiple tuners along with an independent clock.
post #2096 of 3682 Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
LenL: Can you explain this a little more as I don't quite follow and it may be because I had no issues with the firmware ever with tuning.

It's when the channel says that it is "searching" then goes blank, then says that it is "searching" again. Those channels are my problem channels that don't record. I'm not sure if it is PSIP or multipath. I have the problem with several Colorado Springs channels and one Denver station. All have strong signals. My weakest channel will record fine. That is the one issue that I hope that iView can resolve, so that I can recommend the box to my friends in the OTA universe. Fix that one problem, and I can sell a 1000 of these.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #2097 of 3682 Old 10-01-2013, 05:30 AM

I hope I haven't missed where this was discussed already. I've been using my iView OTA for over 4 months now and I just noticed something this past weekend. It appears that when a channel's signal is too weak, that the channel and it's sub channels dissappear from the channel line up completely. When the signal gets stronger it returns. Have other OTA users noticed this?

Jman
post #2098 of 3682 Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's when the channel says that it is "searching" then goes blank, then says that it is "searching" again. Those channels are my problem channels that don't record. I'm not sure if it is PSIP or multipath. I have the problem with several Colorado Springs channels and one Denver station. All have strong signals. My weakest channel will record fine. That is the one issue that I hope that iView can resolve, so that I can recommend the box to my friends in the OTA universe. Fix that one problem, and I can sell a 1000 of these.

You need to explain more. What are you doing when you get the searching message. Are you changing channels? Or what?

OK...never had that issue. Not sure it is an IView issue either.
post #2099 of 3682 Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanolinsky View Post

I hope I haven't missed where this was discussed already. I've been using my iView OTA for over 4 months now and I just noticed something this past weekend. It appears that when a channel's signal is too weak, that the channel and it's sub channels dissappear from the channel line up completely. When the signal gets stronger it returns. Have other OTA users noticed this?

Jman

No...never had this issue. Then again any really weak channels in my area are not anything I want to view so I either delete or ignore them. Not sure how you are set up with antenna and amp equipment but that may be your issue and not the IView. I have some marginal channels with signal strength around 50 to 60 and the IVIEW locks on them much better than my SHARP TV tuner. As far as I can see the IVIEW tuner does a bang up job capturing signal. It may not be the greatest but it works (I own 2) better than my 2 Sharp TV tuners.
post #2100 of 3682 Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Len,

Thanks for the reply. Although it doesn't pertain to this question,I have three TVs running off of one roof top antenna with an amplifier and splitter.

Any other TVs or STB I have used, onced the channels are scanned for and found, keeps the channels in the line up and if the signal gets too weak, simply says "No Signal" when tuned to said channel. This past weekend I was scrolling through the channels and a set of channels that was there when I scrolled up, disappeared when I scrolled back down. Later in the day they were back again. I have not experienced this before and I wondered if it was normal for the iView and I just had not noticed it. Anybody?

Now that I think about it, I have had channels break up pretty badly or even freeze and the iView still displayed them. Hmmm, I hope my iView is not messing up.

I think what dkreichen1968 above is referring to is sometime when you switch to certain channels with the iView, it says searching, locks in and displays the channel, then goes blank again and says searching again, once again locks in and displays the channel and then continues to work as expected. When this happens while a recording is being made, it stops the recording process.

Is that right dkreichen1968?

Jman
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page