9Likes

post #2161 of 3379 Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Have you verified your outlet is good? Unplug the iView and plug something like a light or radio into the SAME outlet. If it also does not work they do as suggested and call iView for a warranty replacement. It's rare but things do occasionally fail for no apparent reason. I doubt anything you could have done anything that would have caused it to up and die, other than maybe a power surge.

It's an old building... I hesitate to call any of the outlets "good". 

However, the unit was plugged into a beefy surge-protector along with the tv itself, a ps3, a vcr (yes), and my laptop at the time for some streaming purposes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jprc View Post

One time my box seemed like it died. No signs of life at all. I unplugged it for an hour and plugged it in again and it came back to life. Like others said, if you still are having problems, time to get that thing replaced while still under warranty. Or since you've only had this for at most a few weeks, if you are still within your return period with the seller, return it to them for a new one if you will not be charged restocking fees.

I purchase the box at a store i wasn't familiar with because i wanted to get the 3500 and there it was just staring at me in the face. It was a place that offered a no refund policy. I bought it anyway (at 80$ before taxes) and lost the sales receipt (unusual for me as i spend over an hour going through a box of receipts to find it). I'll have to see them in person and see if something can be done.

But to add a little salt in the wounds I dropped in to a small electronics liquidation shop this afternoon and they had a massive shelf stocked with the units for just 40$. Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsacubit View Post

As my own by-line states in my profile: 

"Nothing is pronounced dead without an autopsy".  :D 

Haha, that's awesome! But it would go the way of most of my hot wheel car "tune-ups" as a kid: in the trash with less wheels than it started with!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 3379 Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Did anyone ever solve this getting 3500 to work with the TIVO s2?

I have a lifetime subscription on it and I'd hate to have to retire the machine because I can't find a Digitial converter box that will work with it.

I can't find on-line the IR code for the 3500.  I emailed Iview and they indicated the device doesn't work with any universal remote.  Hope that doesn't mean it can't be taught to be compatible.

post #2163 of 3379 Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Assuming the S2 can record from its composite input, all you need to do is connect the iView to the TiVo with the three RCA cables and set the iView with viewing timers so it tunes to the correct stations at the correct times to let the TiVo record your shows.

There isn't much point in doing this, though, because you could just have the iView do the recording itself, which would preserve the HD quality (or at least the original quality, in the case of SD channels). The fact that you have to set timers on the iView also defeats the purpose of having a lifetime subscription on the TiVo, as the TiVo won't be able to use its guide data to figure out when programs are airing or to record only new episodes, which is, I would think, the whole point of having a TiVo.

Now that NTSC has been phased out (and will be completely gone OTA in less than 2 years, even for LP stations), a TiVo S2 is essentially useless. You need to either upgrade to the Roamio (in which case TiVo might give you a discount for already having lifetime, although the S2 may be too old to qualify for such promotions), you need to get a used S3 with lifetime on eBay, or you need to just use the iView to record, since you already have it. wink.gif

As for the remote control, there is no code for use with universal remotes. You must have a learning remote that allows you to program each function manually, i.e. by pointing the iView remote at the learning remote and pressing the buttons you want to map one by one.
videobruce likes this.
post #2164 of 3379 Old 10-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Re: recording to a microSD card.

I just tried this for the first time today and I'm curious if anyone else who has done this is getting the same result as I am. The recording itself plays back fine - no problems - looks and sounds great. But the thing I'm curious about is that the size and total time do not show during playback. If you press INFO during fullscreen playback (or just stay on the small screen where the same information is displayed) the Size says 0.0MB. The Time will show the playback time but not the total time, so if I was at the five minute mark in playback of a 60 minute recording, it will look like 00:05:00/00:00:00.

It does this on all my recordings to the microSD. I'm wondering if it is like this under all circumstances or if I may be seeing it due to the specific card or USB card reader/writer I am using. I realize this is not a supported recording device, so it's not an issue for iView. I just wanted to know if different hardware would make a difference in what I'm seeing and to let others know this may happen if they want to use a microSD. It's formatted FAT32 - didn't try NTFS because I didn't want to reformat it right now since I use it in my phone and was just using this to test how it worked.
post #2165 of 3379 Old 10-11-2013, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
You must have a learning remote that allows you to program each function manually, i.e. by pointing the iView remote at the learning remote and pressing the buttons you want to map one by one.
I do that for all my equipment whether the remote has the codes for the device or not. I only program function use, the others I don't waste time with. It saves internal memory doing it this way.
Yes, it initially takes longer, but the model I use is programed through a PC (NOT the Internet) and the files is stored locally unlike that other lame system.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2166 of 3379 Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM

Liked: 11
I picked up an iView-3500STB mainly to use as a tuner for clear QAM channels on my cable system. When I do a scan for channels it locates 29 channels, and identifies them by name or call sign. Thirteen of them are unusable, however. Three other sets in the house get those channels without issue using their internal clear QAM tuner, without cablecard. I have tried the firmware that came with the unit, version 3, I believe, and also the firmware 0913_V6a_QAM_only_virtual. Is there an earlier firmware that might make it possible to use the the thirteen missing channels? I wouldn't care if I had to manually delete hundreds of channels in order to do so. I had to do this on the TVs with internal tuners, anyway. Thanks for reading this.
post #2167 of 3379 Old 10-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Prowler View Post

I picked up an iView-3500STB mainly to use as a tuner for clear QAM channels on my cable system. When I do a scan for channels it locates 29 channels, and identifies them by name or call sign. Thirteen of them are unusable, however. Three other sets in the house get those channels without issue using their internal clear QAM tuner, without cablecard. I have tried the firmware that came with the unit, version 3, I believe, and also the firmware 0913_V6a_QAM_only_virtual. Is there an earlier firmware that might make it possible to use the the thirteen missing channels? I wouldn't care if I had to manually delete hundreds of channels in order to do so. I had to do this on the TVs with internal tuners, anyway. Thanks for reading this.

Try version 7 - post # 1260: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread/1200_100#post_23580255
PA_Prowler likes this.
post #2168 of 3379 Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Thank you. I gave that a quick try. It did find some of the missing channels at the expense of many others. I'll play with this more to see if I can manually enter the ones it didn't find.
post #2169 of 3379 Old 10-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you. I gave that a quick try. It did find some of the missing channels at the expense of many others. I'll play with this more to see if I can manually enter the ones it didn't find.

Cool, when you do the manual scan, make sure to use the physical channel numbers, not virtual.
post #2170 of 3379 Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Post #5 updated with all known firmware versions labeled by date, then modified version number ('a' representing the 2nd of the same number) to reduce confusion.

I welcome additional descriptions of the major differences of each other than the virtual/physical QAM channel numbers. smile.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2171 of 3379 Old 10-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Post #5 updated with all known firmware versions labeled by date, then modified version number ('a' representing the 2nd of the same number) to reduce confusion.

I welcome additional descriptions of the major differences of each other than the virtual/physical QAM channel numbers. smile.gif

From Post #5
Quote:
The file name has been shortened to MMDDYYYY and version number with the "a" version being the 2nd of that number.

VideoBruce, thanks very much for getting all the firmware versions in one spot as many ask for them. One very minor comment is that the files are named as 'MMDDYY' not as 'MMDDYYYY' as noted.
post #2172 of 3379 Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Corrected. redface.gif

post #2173 of 3379 Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM

I tried searching to see if this was ever suggested, but didn't find it, so I will ask here.

How about a way to save your scanned or manually inputted channels, and other preferences, to a file on a USB stick, so they could be rapidly restored in the event of an accidental automatic channel scan, or other type of scenario where everything is lost. These settings are obviously kept in some type of memory within the unit. Adding the functionality to back-up and restore would be an asset.
post #2174 of 3379 Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It has been discussed here and in the VRX thread. I never saw that ability with any DVR unfortunately. Settings isn't a big deal, the channel list is. Actually, I have never seen that with any tuner or TV either.

post #2175 of 3379 Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIEW View Post

Hi,
I just received news that the new remote will arrive next week and for those who requested the free remote and received a confirmation email, we will be shipping those out to you next week as well. If you wish to purchase a new remote, we will have a new promotion for one month only. You can purchase a new remote for $5.00 USD including shipping and handling. The promotion will start Monday September 16, 2013 and end October 16th, 2013 promotion code “IVIEW 9132013”. Eva will be taking your order for those who want to purchase a new remote. Please email Eva at eva@iviewus.com to place your order. We will be accepting credit card and money orders only. On the new remote the learning capabilities will be transferred using your old remote. The two options are for your choosing and you can call us if you need any help programming your device. There is a new manual that will correspond to the IVIEW 3500STBII which will include the new functions for the new remote.
Regarding the website, the new website will be launched in about a month. We are currently making sure everything is running smoothly on the new website. For now all the information including Firmware and manuals will be available on iviewus.com. The renaming of the firmware will be improved in the future, but at this moment we cannot change it. I do apologize for this inconvenience. The firmware that corresponds to the new remote will probably be uploaded to the iviewus.com website next week as well as instructions on how to program the remote.
Please email me directly if you have any questions or concerns my email is evelyn@iviewus.com.

Sincerely,
Evelyn
Just a last minute warning, Wednesday is the last day for us iView owners to get the much better replacement remote for our 3500s. I really like the new remote and kind of forgot about my "spare" 3500 I had tucked away so I'll be ordering one for that DVR. Too bad I forgot about it during the "free" replacement period but $5(shipped) is almost as good smile.gif
post #2176 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 106
JJEF,

Great reminder! The new remote is a must have! No question!
post #2177 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM

I was a little late to the party and just found out about the remote control offer last week. I sent an email to "Eva" on the ninth and have not heard back thus far, so I am getting a little nervous. I sent another email this morning to Eva and a cc to Evelyn, and hopefully will hear back this time.
post #2178 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 AM

New remote is much better than the old one. Like that PVR button. Easy to program the bleu tv section.smile.gif
post #2179 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was a little late to the party and just found out about the remote control offer last week. I sent an email to "Eva" on the ninth and have not heard back thus far, so I am getting a little nervous. I sent another email this morning to Eva and a cc to Evelyn, and hopefully will hear back this time.
I sent a email to Eva last night and as of yet nothing.......I know your feeling. If nothing by tonight I'll .CC Evelyn as well.
Now that all the fall programs are in full swing I find myself using my iView more and more as both tuners on my Tivo are occasionally occupied. The iView is much nicer to use with the improved remote and latest firmware, for sure worth the price I paid smile.gif
post #2180 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I sent a email to Eva last night and as of yet nothing.......I know your feeling. If nothing by tonight I'll .CC Evelyn as well.

Update: I found it! I did an advanced search on the website using the key word "remote" and it pulled it up. Using the string "remote control" yielded no results.

I did hear back from Eva after .CC'ing Evelyn. I'm more confused than ever, though. She said to purchase the remote from www.iviewus.com, and to use the promo code at checkout. I've been all over that page, and cannot find the remote, so I can't add it to my cart, and thus cannot check out. My wife couldn't find it either, me thinking I'm just not seeing it. I see three other remotes, but none of them is meant for the 3500STB. I tried emailing back. . . the message was read, but not replied to. I hope you have better luck than I did.
post #2181 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I did hear back from Eva after .CC'ing Evelyn. I'm more confused than ever, though. She said to purchase the remote from www.iviewus.com, and to use the promo code at checkout. I've been all over that page, and cannot find the remote, so I can't add it to my cart, and thus cannot check out. My wife couldn't find it either, me thinking I'm just not seeing it. I see three other remotes, but none of them is meant for the 3500STB. I tried emailing back. . . the message was read, but not replied to. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Is this not it?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #2182 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Yes, that is it. I couldn't find it until I did an advanced search. Where was the link, or am I just going blind?
post #2183 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Under Accessories then Remotes then scroll down slightly . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #2184 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM

Oh, it's definitely there now, but it wasn't there an hour ago. There were just the three silver remotes. I emailed this to Eva, maybe it was pulled prematurely, and she got it fixed. The promo is supposed to end tomorrow. Thanks for your help, but I was definitely there several times since this morning. I feel like I'm losing my marbles. rolleyes.gif
post #2185 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

mad.gif
Does the promotion code "IVIEW 9132013" work for anyone else?
I just tried it and got "Coupon code "IVIEW 9132013" is not valid". mad.gif
This thing that was supposed to promote customer good will is turning out to be a PIA! and no I STILL have not heard back from Eva!
I emailed both this afternoon, hopefully.........someone will respond from iView......
post #2186 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

mad.gif
Does the promotion code "IVIEW 9132013" work for anyone else?
I just tried it and got "Coupon code "IVIEW 9132013" is not valid". mad.gif
This thing that was supposed to promote customer good will is turning out to be a PIA! and no I STILL have not heard back from Eva!

Take out the space.
post #2187 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Take out the space.
Thanks, that worked smile.gif
How in the world did you know that? I just did a copy/paste from Evelyn's original post which showed the space, if it wasn't necessary she should have not included it....
Oh and did anyone else notice when entering a CC number the symbol for a secure site did not show up in the address bar? Kind of worry about that, I've read one should always look for that symbol when ordering online with a CC. Seemed to go through OK though, $5 shipped.
post #2188 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, that worked smile.gif
How in the world did you know that? I just did a copy/paste from Evelyn's original post which showed the space, if it wasn't necessary she should have not included it....
Oh and did anyone else notice when entering a CC number the symbol for a secure site did not show up in the address bar? Kind of worry about that, I've read one should always look for that symbol when ordering online with a CC. Seemed to go through OK though, $5 shipped.

Most coupon code fields do not accept spaces. When Evelyn posted that the code was being used over email so it didn't matter then.

I personally would not use my credit card or banking info on any non-ssl site. I didn't order a remote but if the url did not start with "https" (emphasis on the "s"), then iView needs to fix that immediately. That's the least of the security measures they should be taking if they are accepting credit card information directly. If they give you a choice to use Paypal, go with that if you can so that the info will not be sent via the iview website.
post #2189 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 267
PayPal also has the advantage of not requiring you to provide credit card numbers to the vendors you buy from.
post #2190 of 3379 Old 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes PayPal was a option(which I've never used) and no the screen where one entered the CC# did not have the "s" or any indication it was a secure connection frown.gif Maybe I should check into PayPal, I mainly deal with Amazon which has a secure connection. Some sites even let me have them bill it to my Amazon account which I always chose if it's an option.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page