9Likes

post #2251 of 3368 Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

If you have a way to set the system clock to enable timed recordings on cable feeds that don't send the current time, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to hear it.

I don't know if this has been discussed or not and second I have not researched it enough that I should not even be posting it and third I will most likely regret doing so but;

What about using a digital modulator with an antenna, hopefully able to get an OTA channel and somehow use that as the time sync with cable use?

Thinking later, I guess it would need another tuner also. I would try it if I had cable, just for a project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3368 Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Funny......first thing first though and that's trying to get past the pixel issue. Tried doing manual channel searches, deleting scanned channels with no picture, and just about anything else I can think of.

I'm not sure FW would have a handle on the tuner profprmance. I would ask for an exchange.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2253 of 3368 Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

If you have a way to set the system clock to enable timed recordings on cable feeds that don't send the current time, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to hear it.
Anyone else agree Homeworx made a wise decision to NOT support QAM?? I for one kind of think they did.
While QAM may work for some, for a goodly number of people(especially the majority of the people on the few major cable companies) users are bound to be disappointed frown.gif
I'm OTA only but do have occasional access to a raw Comcast feed, if I only had that cable feed I would have returned my iView a long time ago. Comcast and the other majors must have people who's whole job is to discourage people from using clear QAM and especially their moneymaker DVRs. They DON'T want something like this to work with their feed and do everything possible to discourage it. Using my iView for OTA it works quite well and consider it money well spent, NOT for Comcast QAM mad.gif
post #2254 of 3368 Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Anyone else agree Homeworx made a wise decision to NOT support QAM?? I for one kind of think they did.
While QAM may work for some, for a goodly number of people(especially the majority of the people on the few major cable companies) users are bound to be disappointed frown.gif
I'm OTA only but do have occasional access to a raw Comcast feed, if I only had that cable feed I would have returned my iView a long time ago. Comcast and the other majors must have people who's whole job is to discourage people from using clear QAM and especially their moneymaker DVRs. They DON'T want something like this to work with their feed and do everything possible to discourage it. Using my iView for OTA it works quite well and consider it money well spent, NOT for Comcast QAM mad.gif

If iview or homeworx had included the ability to set a clock, like they should have in the first place, then this wouldn't even have been an issue. I gave up cable years ago because I hate their tactics and prices, but the cable companies wouldn't have been able to stop scheduled recording ability if the makers of these boxes simply included this very basic and necessary function. They caused their own problems in this regard. And for some of us with OTA only, it is a problem as well.
post #2255 of 3368 Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

If iview or homeworx had included the ability to set a clock, like they should have in the first place, then this wouldn't even have been an issue....
I totally agree but considering they did not include the clock function(and we've been told they can't for this hardware) one has to go off that and on that point QAM operation will be iffy at best for a majority of cable users frown.gif
post #2256 of 3368 Old 10-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you don't want to use these boxes for QAM then DON'T!
What is with the cable cronies here trying to prevent people from even attempting to try QAM?
If you are morally outraged that iView supports QAM, buy a Homeworx and get out. You are in no way benefiting the discussion on this thread.

--
(this space for rent)
post #2257 of 3368 Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

If you don't want to use these boxes for QAM then DON'T!
What is with the cable cronies here trying to prevent people from even attempting to try QAM?
If you are morally outraged that iView supports QAM, buy a Homeworx and get out. You are in no way benefiting the discussion on this thread.

I have to agree with you. If the box didn't support QAM I wouldn't have bought it. There is absolutely no line of sight from this area to any television transmitters, hence, no television whatsoever without cable or satellite. Shoud I bash the fact that the box has an ATSC tuner that is useless to me? I don't think so. I applaud iView's attempt to reach out and support all users. Not just those who are fortunate to be in the footprint of terrestrial broadcasters. smile.gif
DoctorM likes this.
post #2258 of 3368 Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

I think it's good they included clear QAM - I just think they should have done the most basic amount of testing or even the slightest amount of research to get it done in a workable way. There have been a lot of very unhappy QAM customers and this could have been easily avoided. A simple inexpensive clock would have made a lot of unhappy QAM and OTA customers much happier with the device. And the latest firmware updates that broke QAM tuning for many people is another example. I don't think getting rid of QAM tuning is the answer - I think doing the most basic, simple things right is the answer. As they've found out now, doing things wrong often ends up being more expensive than the little bit extra you would've spent up front doing them right in the first place. Cutting corners doesn't always cut costs - it often adds to them, like it did in this case.
post #2259 of 3368 Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 106
What's with you people who have cable? If I had cable I would spend a few more dollars and get a cable DVR from the cable company. You are being ripped off anyway by the cable company why not go all the way?

Us OTA people don't have the DVR options you cable folks have. And guess what.....even though I can get cable TV I prefer the picture and price of OTA.
post #2260 of 3368 Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

What's with you people who have cable? If I had cable I would spend a few more dollars and get a cable DVR from the cable company. You are being ripped off anyway by the cable company why not go all the way?

Us OTA people don't have the DVR options you cable folks have. And guess what.....even though I can get cable TV I prefer the picture and price of OTA.

rolleyes.gif I hardly consider $13.96/mo for cable "being ripped off". I'm getting what I'd get from OTA in a decent location, and then some. For some, cutting the cable just isn't an option. BTW, I never complained about recording issues. I have done time recordings without any problems. The virtual channels on Cablevision Optimum Broadcast Basic tier seem to be compatible with the box. I know in the five boroughs, supposedly due to high theft, even clear QAM is encrypted, but they are at least capable of receiving OTA signals. You can't paint everyone with the same broad brush. I really don't think this type of dialogue adds to the thread, and I will not be commenting off-topic any further.
post #2261 of 3368 Old 10-31-2013, 05:50 PM

Liked: 14
Is there any word on the progress of version 10?
Somebody in the know, throw us a bone.
post #2262 of 3368 Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I see the QAM support as having value to support things like the ZeeVee even if the cable company won't play nice.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2263 of 3368 Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 AM

Just got a sale email from Newegg- iView 3500STBII, $35.99, free shipping, no tax for most and (includes NEW style remote!) smile.gif
jprc likes this.
post #2264 of 3368 Old 11-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy01 View Post

Just got a sale email from Newegg- iView 3500STBII, $35.99, free shipping, no tax for most and (includes NEW style remote!) smile.gif

Thanks for letting us know. I bought a second unit as a backup recorder or useful just as a video player.

post #2265 of 3368 Old 11-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy01 View Post

I just came over here to post that. I don't need another one but I know a few people were waiting on it. The discount lasts till Nov 7 - just look for the code on the product page for the $7 discount. Also B&H Video has them in stock now - regular price $39.99. No Amazon so far, but that's great you can get the "II" model for cheaper than most of us got the original. It's also in stock on the iView page but for much more money and they don't have secure ordering for credit cards so I would avoid that.
jazzy01 likes this.
post #2266 of 3368 Old 11-01-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

Thanks for letting us know. I bought a second unit as a backup recorder or useful just as a video player.
Or it's nice to have a second for conflict recording(2 or 3 things on at the same time) although the same remote codes become a issue if they are placed near each other.
post #2267 of 3368 Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Or it's nice to have a second for conflict recording(2 or 3 things on at the same time) although the same remote codes become a issue if they are placed near each other.

Know what you mean.  I will have to remember to block the IR sensor on the unit I don't want to control. But that's nothing new - I can't tell you how many times I forgot to select the right device on my universal remote before changing something I didn't want to change. :)

post #2268 of 3368 Old 11-02-2013, 09:57 AM

Liked: 10

Here's an update for all. Sorry, for the delay but sometimes work gets in the way.

So a few things have changed. Got a new box from Amazon to see if it was indeed the box. For whatever reason, if I try to scan cable first, I get nothing. However if I let it scan through ANT, then do a cable scan, channels are added.

Quality on the channels is EXCELLENT.

In addition to getting the new box, Cox also came to do a professional install so I can try out their Cable/phone/internet package. Not sure if I'll keep it but it was free install and I got a month to cancel. Anyway, it turns out that the signal coming to my house was very weak. We had the basic internet with them before and we were always having connection issues.

Anyway, with that fixed I will test out the old box before sending it back to see if indeed it was a dud or it was just my stupid signal to begin with.

Main thing is channels were added and they look great. Still a lot of channels that were added that have nothing on them (not sure why that is) so I will be deleting them one at a time. Will then go on to testing the PVR stuff.

So far, the interface (as a lot have complained) is lacking and doesn't seem too user friendly.

post #2269 of 3368 Old 11-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't know why people go nuts of the New Egg sales. Okay, yes, they have the model II, but they also charge $5 shipping.

$41 is more expensive than Amazon's regular price with their free shipping on the model I.

--
(this space for rent)
post #2270 of 3368 Old 11-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

I don't know why people go nuts of the New Egg sales. Okay, yes, they have the model II, but they also charge $5 shipping.

$41 is more expensive than Amazon's regular price with their free shipping on the model I.

I didn't go nuts but I did wait for the sale on the model II so I could get the new remote and a little lower price.  New Egg's shipping is free for the iView if you choose 4-7 day delivery so I ended up paying $35.99 for the unit delivered. The sale is good until Nov. 7.

post #2271 of 3368 Old 11-02-2013, 11:30 AM

Don't forget that this iView Newegg price includes free 2-day shipping if you are a ShopRunner member.........

also free returns with ShopRunner smile.gif
post #2272 of 3368 Old 11-02-2013, 01:05 PM

I always use Newegg's free shipping option when it's available. I'm fortunate that I'm only about 80 mi from their Edison, NJ warehouse, in a neighboring state (PA). If I get my order in before 3:00 PM, I usually receive the item the next day. Like 90% of the time. No tax, either, since I am out of state. If you have a Newegg account you can create an alert for an item, to tell you when free shipping is available, or for a certain price threshold you specify for the item to fall to, and it will send you an email to inform you. Just passing this on as a tip. If you're a similar distance you might get similar service. smile.gif
post #2273 of 3368 Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
With the offer from New Egg, I've ordered one to try out. smile.gif

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2274 of 3368 Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Personally, I am waiting to see the aledged firmware that they are supposedly working on before recommending the box to my friends and family regardless of any sales. With the current firmware problems this box makes an adequate converter box, but substandard DVR. As it is, I don't trust it's recording capabilities as it has missed several recording events because of clock issues and the double search problems. Iview has not releases any updates on any new firmware versions and what problems the new firmware versions will fix. I baught this because my DVD recorder does not record HD and the DVDs limited space. I currently use OVA and a few of the stations here broadcasts very inaccurate time. I have contacted the offending stations which only results in the stations resetiing their clock (as the clock adds 1.5 minutes a day resetting the clock is only temporary at best). If you are just looking for a decent OVA converter box I think this is a good buy, but if you are looking for a reliable DVR I would wait to see if they fix the problems with the current firmware before jumping on any sales. Iview has been very quiet as far as fixing the bugs in this box.
post #2275 of 3368 Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

It's my strong belief we won't really see any significant changes to this box, only minor firmware tweaks if that. What I'm hoping for is a upgraded model(maybe around the $100 PP) that will have the ability to play one event and record another at the same time, that and a second tuner and a manual clock set option would be nice. Again we've been told with the current chip this box has we wouldn't be able to have any of the things I mentioned.
post #2276 of 3368 Old 11-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Wondering if anyone else saw this or it was just coincidence. Right after the time change last night, my iview froze, rebooted, and reset all settings to default. My iview was on at the time, so don't know if people who had the box off would've had the same problem. Since this is the first time change since they implemented the Daylight Savings setting, I'm wondering if it's a bug. Well, clearly it is a bug either way, but I'm wondering if it is a DST bug. Did anyone else who has the Daylight Savings setting set to On, experience the same thing? Was your box on or off during the time change? Were you actively using it at the time if it was on? And what software are you running. I'm running the latest v6.

Edit: So, I now notice that the DST setting does not function the way you would expect and the way it does on most electronics - can't say I'm surprised unfortunately. Setting it to on does not make it automatically adjust the time when the time changes. It just adjust the offset an hour when you set it. You have to shut it off this time of year to get the correct time again. So, the iview would not have been trying to change the time itself to adjust for the offset. So, it either was coincidence or maybe if the station was sending clock change information and the iview didn't know what to do with it, that may have caused it. Those of you using the DST setting who live someplace that changed time overnight, make sure to go turn it off now so your shows record properly.
post #2277 of 3368 Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 PM

My box was off during the time change. I turned it on to check if the DST setting automatically adjusted the time, but as you noted it, it did not. I had to untick the DST setting. My box turned on normally.
post #2278 of 3368 Old 11-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Wondering if anyone else saw this or it was just coincidence. Right after the time change last night, my iview froze, rebooted, and reset all settings to default. My iview was on at the time, so don't know if people who had the box off would've had the same problem. Since this is the first time change since they implemented the Daylight Savings setting, I'm wondering if it's a bug. Well, clearly it is a bug either way, but I'm wondering if it is a DST bug. Did anyone else who has the Daylight Savings setting set to On, experience the same thing? Was your box on or off during the time change? .
My iView was off, and thus there was no reboot.

I wasn't aware I needed to change the Daylight Saving Time from yes... to no. So my regular timed recording for my 6-7AM hour program did not happen. Instead the iView taped a whole hour of some dumb infomercial. Took me a few minutes to figure out what had gone wrong.

I now have a note on my calendar to add the iView to the clock change list. I'd rather make the correction myself, then let the unit stay on to do a reboot.
post #2279 of 3368 Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 AM

My daughter at college has analog cable tv. She would love the ability to record some of her shows to watch when she wants.. Does this thing support analog cable or only digital signals?
post #2280 of 3368 Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappascw View Post

My daughter at college has analog cable tv. She would love the ability to record some of her shows to watch when she wants.. Does this thing support analog cable or only digital signals?
Only digital, no analog tuner and AFA daylight savings, my box was OFF and when I turned it on Sunday morning the time was still the old time and I had to manually turn OFF the DST.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page