post #2341 of 3708 Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by msho View Post

What happens if you run low on memory, does it record to the end of memory, delete files, and/or skip the schedule not even attempting to start the recording even though it might catch part of the program?

It will give message that there is no room left to record. It happened to me. It's not a problem. I removed the drive , put it in pc, and it played the files no problems. Now, the very last program might not record the whole show, I can live with that. You can always reformat the drive and stick it back into the iview after you watch the shows. I didn't watch the shows using the iview, I like skipping over commericials and as I'm watching one drive full of shows, I put a different hard drive in the iview and keep recording.

Now, I am keeping it super simple, I just record continously for 24 or 48 hours straight. On my homeworx device it makes one continous file, and sometimes many 500meg files. I'm still testing why it does that. The iview usually makes 500 meg segments, which I like now, and depending on the bit rate of tv show can be 7 mins each or 25 mins each. The one continous file which is 24 gig's for around 24 hours, is also nice because it takes less space. With the iview 144 gig's can be used in 24 hours, whereas having the 1 file only 24 gig's for 24 hours. So I'm testing both methods.

Usually with OS hard drive it's not good to have it so full, but the os is not on the hard drive on the iview. So I think it's safe. Also for PC use, with OS on it, I don't like to fill the other drives full either. So I agree in theory, you shouldn't fill up hard drive all the way. But in this case, I don't think it will have bad effect on drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3708 Old 11-13-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
If I may ask, why would you want to record continuously for a day or more instead of recording the programs you want to watch individually? Is that your solution for not being able to schedule timer recordings without a clock, or have you found the timers to be so unreliable that you aren't comfortable with using them?
post #2343 of 3708 Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

If I may ask, why would you want to record continuously for a day or more instead of recording the programs you want to watch individually? Is that your solution for not being able to schedule timer recordings without a clock, or have you found the timers to be so unreliable that you aren't comfortable with using them?

Good question. I bought a iview unit and a homeworx unit a few days ago. I did practice doing show recordings, and it worked ok. But it took time for me to program them. So I am experimenting with continious recordings to see how it works out.
It seems to work pretty good so far for me, I have 2 machines recording 2 different channels. And using PC, it's easy using vlc to put all the files from hard drive on playlist, and just skip though all the crappy stuff, and find a few good shows or segments. Also it's a good way for me to watch tv news, or stuff I might never even know about, as I scan and skip through those files. It's quick and easy to skip ahead 1 hour or 3 hours, and then if I find something go back to when the show started.

If you just want to watch a few shows, then doing the programming should work. I have homerun tuner on my win8 media center working if I need to record 1 show. But I can't record continiously with the win8 media center, so I thought this might be cool way to record and let it run and run and run.
post #2344 of 3708 Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

This has nothing to do with iview vs homeworx, the files are split on FAT32 storage vs NFTS formatted storage devices. The total size for 24hrs of recordings is also dependent on what channel you recorded, 1080i, 720p, 480i, and how much compression your affiliate is using.

Sounds right to me, I have been experimenting between exfat , fat32, and NFTS, so that is why it's segmenting them or not. Thanks.

Have you done much with continious recordings, seems like maybe if it starts out in low format it might keep that since over the course of 24 hours, I'm sure some shows on that station would be higher bit rate. If it's in segments, then it will probably auto record at different bit rates based on show, I'm still experimenting.
post #2345 of 3708 Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I've got v7. For QAM on Comcast, it is unreliable. Breaks up and getting only a few of the channels. There is also a flashQAM on iview servers under dowloads, which I believe is v7. I will be using it with OTA.
My system is rather quirky. Sometimes it finds channels, other times for other firmwares it doesn't. This is under both Antenna and Cable. I believe I may have to reboot, restart, switch between Antenna and Cable to replicate, but this is not promising. It's a big headache because it takes so long to scan.

I found more channels more consistently with V7 and Comcast by using manual scans:
- Write down the channel numbers you did got with AUTO scan
- do a factory reset
- skip the initialization scan by hitting the menu button
- got to CHANNEL SEARCH, select USA for country and Cable for Signal Type
- select Manual Search and enter each channel number one at a time - be sure to wait for the Quality bar to show a signal before hitting OK to run the scan
post #2346 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My system is rather quirky. Sometimes it finds channels, other times for other firmwares it doesn't. This is under both Antenna and Cable. I believe I may have to reboot, restart, switch between Antenna and Cable to replicate, but this is not promising. It's a big headache because it takes so long to scan.

I notice if I run into problems with my Iview, I have to physically unplug the unit and wait a few seconds and then plug it in, to get it to work right. (rebooting, restarting sometimes doesn't improve things.)

I too would like to know at this point, is homeworx firmware for OTA shows BETTER than iviews firmware. Less problems losing stations, scanning, etc. You guys that have experimented with most of the firmware on both devices, which do you have more confidence in. I'm leaning towards homeworx, but I only had both units a few days.
post #2347 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

I notice if I run into problems with my Iview, I have to physically unplug the unit and wait a few seconds and then plug it in, to get it to work right. (rebooting, restarting sometimes doesn't improve things.)

I too would like to know at this point, is homeworx firmware for OTA shows BETTER than iviews firmware. Less problems losing stations, scanning, etc. You guys that have experimented with most of the firmware on both devices, which do you have more confidence in. I'm leaning towards homeworx, but I only had both units a few days.

I have 2 units one runs perfect with iviews firmware . The other one loses the signal and has to be unplugged to reset it . I use the homeworx firmware for it and it works perfect .Remember the unit will not work with out a homeworx (harmony) remote .
Joe
post #2348 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobedo View Post

I have 2 units one runs perfect with iviews firmware . The other one loses the signal and has to be unplugged to reset it . I use the homeworx firmware for it and it works perfect .Remember the unit will not work with out a homeworx (harmony) remote .
Joe

Thanks for that.
With your 2 iviews, did you buy them at same time, can you give any background why one works and the other doesn't. Some of us are wondering if iview changed the newer iview3500stbii units. Do you have any sense why one works and one doesn't with same iview firmware.
post #2349 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked: 20
Hi,
It has been a while and I apologize for not posting sooner. I have read the post and I have relayed your concerns, suggestions, and comments to our manufacturer. We are waiting for a new firmware and the ETA they have given me is that it will be available next week. I will be posting it on the forum for those who wish to test it. We would appreciate any feedback especially for those who are using QAM. Regarding the clock situation, unfortunately, this new firmware will not have the capability to manually set the clock. I know that has cause many problems for our customers, but currently they cannot add a clock to the converter box. Regarding the website, the IT department is working on it daily and they are trying to find a way to make it easier for the customers to download the firmware. We will be removing the flash.bin file from our website. The new firmware will be just one file, so that will eliminate the confusion on the website. I will also add clear instructions on how to install the firmware and what has been improved. In other news, we are currently working with Logitech in order to have the 3500STB and 3500STBII work with their universal remotes. I will keep you posted on the Logitech situation as I receive news.
I do not monitor the Forum daily, but I do frequently and I try to catch up as soon as I do. If you wish to contact me for any questions just email me directly at evelyn@iviewus.com or call 909-627-9888 ext 204 Monday-Friday 9 am-5:30pm Pacific time.

-Evelyn
videobruce and troydog like this.
post #2350 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Really great move concerning Logitech. Also, on removing those unnecessary FW files.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2351 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that.
With your 2 iviews, did you buy them at same time, can you give any background why one works and the other doesn't. Some of us are wondering if iview changed the newer iview3500stbii units. Do you have any sense why one works and one doesn't with same iview firmware.

My son bought the 1st one off of eBay and that is the one that i have trouble with. It worked fine until the last firmware update .When you change the channel it goes to the channel fine but then the screen goes blank for a second like it is searching for the channel again and then comes back on. It works better if the unit is left on and its better on QAM then OTA but within a few day it always locks up with no signal found . The homeworx firmware works perfect all the time on that same unit.The other one i bought from Amazon a month later and has always worked fine.
Joe
post #2352 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM

I would be glad to test out any firmware updates on mine. My own experience is thus:

I tried to initially scan for QAM on Comcast with v9 firmware that came with the 3500stbii unit received last week from Newegg. It did not find anything. I then tried the other firmwares available from iview and this forum. v7 QAM seemed to have the most success, similar to Homeworx v13 QAM which I also tried. All of the others failed. I've found that even OTA auto scan success is spotty

One way I have verified whether the Cable is searching correctly is when I go into manual mode to see if I have a signal at a known channel. Even when successful with auto scan, the channels are quite a bit fewer than what my TV can find. I've had to resort to OTA for now, but it is not my why I purchased the unit.

Regarding Logitech, it is fairly simple to learn the remote commands. The remote itself is fine, but some of the commands don't really make sense for what is performed on the machine.

post #2353 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

I'm not sure why you want version 9 for QAM when the only person who has tried it with QAM said they could not receive any channels on it all and had to downgrade to version 7. Why don't you stay on the Homeworx firmware for now if that is working best for you?

No, there is no log.

I don't know for certain what happens when you run out of drive space - I could make assumptions - but regardless of how the iview handles it, you should really avoid letting that happen. It is always a bad idea to let a drive get completely full or very close to full. I would be more concerned about your drive than the recordings which are easier and cheaper to replace.

Partly due to the unreliability of the firmware and user experience not being able to be replicated, I would guess that the scan was not possibly successful due to either not being in the proper mode or not switching back to antenna and back previously or some other quirk, and even not having unplugged the unit. Regardless, it would be good to be able to test out other firmware, then put this back on later, similar to what I was doing. I mean, since I had to fall back to OTA and I hadn't really tested for OTA utility, perhaps OTA with v9 would somehow have been improved, so it would at least let me test that theory out.

post #2354 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:

I will have to test out the Homeworx one to find out and let you know. I'm not really happy with the reception I get with iview v7 firmware.

post #2355 of 3708 Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
FYI, Amazon is now showing the STBII (looks like a 3rd party vendor though).

--
(this space for rent)
post #2356 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe we can ponder how to put firmware on units to make sure it installed correctly.

We don't have a process in place that is standardised.

Before we begin updating, do a factory reset and then unplug unit, and let it be unplugged 1 minute to clear anything (like we would do for modem).

Plug it in and use 4 gig stick with fat 32 to put firmware on it.

Install new firmware. Unplug unit for 1 minute.

Do a factory reset again to clear out anything from past.

I know with some equipment, unless you go through a series of steps in order, you might corrupt the firmware, or not clear out info from the past, and it doesn't work right.
Maybe there are steps that you guys can think of , so , when we put on firmware, we have no problems.

Other areas are correct way to format hard drive and tips. The thing is we don't know if someone who is having problems, just didn't flash the firmware correctly or the problem is with hard drive format.

Someone who has flashed their unit so it works , and before they flashed it, it didn't work that great. Maybe they can think of the steps they did to insure it would work. I'm just throwing out some ideas.

p.s. Maybe we can find out if there is a reset switch somewhere on unit. It could even be done by holding 2 buttons for 10 seconds, or something else to clear the unit's memory. I don't know, but I know for many devices, there is such a feature. Ipad has it, modems have it. It would be nice to have info so we can finally install the firmware so we all experience the same working firmware. If one guy has it working and the other guy doesn't. What did the guy that got it working do?
post #2357 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:

Maybe we can ponder how to put firmware on units to make sure it installed correctly.

We don't have a process in place that is standardised.

Before we begin updating, do a factory reset and then unplug unit, and let it be unplugged 1 minute to clear anything (like we would do for modem).

Plug it in and use 4 gig stick with fat 32 to put firmware on it.

Install new firmware. Unplug unit for 1 minute.

Do a factory reset again to clear out anything from past.

I know with some equipment, unless you go through a series of steps in order, you might corrupt the firmware, or not clear out info from the past, and it doesn't work right.
Maybe there are steps that you guys can think of , so , when we put on firmware, we have no problems.

Other areas are correct way to format hard drive and tips. The thing is we don't know if someone who is having problems, just didn't flash the firmware correctly or the problem is with hard drive format.

Someone who has flashed their unit so it works , and before they flashed it, it didn't work that great. Maybe they can think of the steps they did to insure it would work. I'm just throwing out some ideas.

p.s. Maybe we can find out if there is a reset switch somewhere on unit. It could even be done by holding 2 buttons for 10 seconds, or something else to clear the unit's memory. I don't know, but I know for many devices, there is such a feature. Ipad has it, modems have it. It would be nice to have info so we can finally install the firmware so we all experience the same working firmware. If one guy has it working and the other guy doesn't. What did the guy that got it working do?

Okay, so one thing I neglected to mention is that when I initially tried all the other firmware, I immediately went to scan cable after the firmware was installed. I was unsuccessful on all available firmwares to be able to scan for QAM.  I had read in a previous post that switching from cable back to antenna, scanning, and switching back was required. It also states in the 5th post of this forum that you may not necessarily need a factory reset. I also read about plugging and unplugging. Well, I tried all that, and it was not successful, on v7 and some of the others. I even tried manual, but was unable to get any channels going through all the frequencies and waited a long time for each, but couldn't be certain I was doing it right. The only thing that let me scan successfully was putting on the Homeworx v13 QAM firmware, then I got the physical channels that I needed to do a manual scan. I then was going to try to do that manually, and hoped that I would get more channels going back to v7 or some other iview firmware. When I went back to v7, without doing a factory reset, my channels were still there. I performed an autoscan to see if I could get any more, and the results were the same. I performed autoscan on the other firmwares and did a factory reset, and the results were empty. One thing I figured out was that if the manual scan was unsuccessful, the autoscan would not come up with any stations.

So, maybe the Homeworx fixed something, or maybe I screwed up something in my firmware process, but it seemed to help resolve my problem with no scans. That could be another step in the process to check out. In loading the Homeworx, oddly, it would not load from one USB that I was loading everything else on, it just rebooted immediately. I did another one with it separately, and the load screen came up.

Oddly, after I had resigned myself that I could not get many channels from QAM, I scanned for OTA on an older firmware, and got no results. I then went to v7 and scanned and got results.

post #2358 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

yeah, it seems to me that homeworx firmware did something to fix my iview too. (but if someone doesn't have homeworx remote or harmony remote DO NOT install homeworx firmware... I want to make that very clear)

Now, if homeworx didn't have firmware that worked, then I could cut Iview some slack, but, homeworx does have firmware that works. Maybe iview can have 2 versions of firmware, one that works 100 percent for OTA stuff, and experimental firmware for those trying to get QAM to work.
post #2359 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How small are they going to get these?? eek.gif

Guess they aren't the same board;

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2360 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 112
The iview will show you the same info when recording. I'll be curious since the firmware is older if the daily/weekly recordings perform properly or like iview and homeworx originally did.
post #2361 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

I'll be interested to see how he likes version 9. Man, I hope iview gets the latest version on their website, so I can go back to iview firmware version 9. smile.gif
post #2362 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

iview V9 says it is from 091813

What was the daily weekly recording problem on the original firmwares?

I meant your naxa box.

The daily recording after the first recording was done would record next in 5 days and the weekly would add 12 days.
post #2363 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll be interested to see how he likes version 9. Man, I hope iview gets the latest version on their website, so I can go back to iview firmware version 9. smile.gif

Why haven't you asked them for it? You keep posting about how much you want it but you're just going to wait for it to possibly maybe (or just as likely not ever) be posted on their website? We've been waiting many months for older versions to be put on their website that still haven't been posted even though we were explicitly told it would be months ago. If you want it, then ask them for it directly like I suggested you do before. You have the direct phone number extension and email of their rep plus the regular iview support email and phone number. If I wanted it, I would've done this as soon as I realized that and I'd either already have it or I'd at least have an answer about it by now.
post #2364 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Why haven't you asked them for it? You keep posting about how much you want it but you're just going to wait for it to possibly maybe (or just as likely not ever) be posted on their website? We've been waiting many months for older versions to be put on their website that still haven't been posted even though we were explicitly told it would be months ago. If you want it, then ask them for it directly like I suggested you do before. You have the direct phone number extension and email of their rep plus the regular iview support email and phone number. If I wanted it, I would've done this as soon as I realized that and I'd either already have it or I'd at least have an answer about it by now.

I did call her and talk to her, she is very nice person, very helpful.

I just received email, right now, saying she could have the firmware by tonight or I guess monday. Great news. I can pass it on to you guys or I'll ask her if she wants to post it. Good news.
post #2365 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sadly the naxa does have this problem, just finished first weekly recording and it scheduled next one for 12 days later instead of 7.

Yeah that's what I expected. Their website looked pretty empty when I glanced at it the other day so no idea if they are providing any ongoing support. But maybe they can give you fixed firmware if you contact them. Unless you didn't care about bricking the box, I'd be a bit hesitant about flashing iview or homeworx firmware because of the hardware difference. But you can always use it for backup recording, scheduling one show at a time, or for manual rec or time shifting.
post #2366 of 3708 Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

The main boards including the homeworx seem to be the same size, You can even see on the naxa the spot where a HDMI could have been added.

The internal power supplies on the iview and homeworx require the extra space.
What STB is in your photo?
It doesn't look like the iView on page 1 of this thread, which has only one power supply board.

The Naxa unit looks like a cost-reduced version. "Cost reduced" means lower cost to manufacture, not necessarily a reduction in quality.
Looks like there's only one circuit board in the Naxa. The PCBs for the front panel and power supply are gone, as well as the wire harnesses to connect these boards. That reduces both parts costs and assembly time/costs.
Quote:
I wish we could get a look at the firmware code
There's probably no chance that you/we will ever see the source code for the application, but pressure does need to be applied to these "manufacturers"/importers who do not comply with releasing the GPL code that is used in their products, i.e. U-Boot.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/330#post_23778414

Regards
post #2367 of 3708 Old 11-16-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

satpro;
Have you read through the first 5 posts?? That info screen is shown in post 4.
When I commented about the size, I was referring to the enclosure, not the size of the board. The important thing is the board layout is different.

blue_z;
The reverse shot of the chassis is deceiving with the angle it was shot at. It's the same unit.

post #2368 of 3708 Old 11-16-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

satpro;
Can you take some more shots of the board without a flash, using some external light instead to eliminate the reflection problems? I always take at least 4 or 5 shots of the same item, especially with macro shots which is what was done with the closeup posts at the start of the thread.
It took a dozen or so to get a readable one of those damn chips, especially of the ones inside the RF enclosure. wink.gif

post #2369 of 3708 Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

What STB is in your photo?
It doesn't look like the iView on page 1 of this thread, which has only one power supply board.

The Naxa unit looks like a cost-reduced version. "Cost reduced" means lower cost to manufacture, not necessarily a reduction in quality.
Looks like there's only one circuit board in the Naxa. The PCBs for the front panel and power supply are gone, as well as the wire harnesses to connect these boards. That reduces both parts costs and assembly time/costs.
There's probably no chance that you/we will ever see the source code for the application, but pressure does need to be applied to these "manufacturers"/importers who do not comply with releasing the GPL code that is used in their products, i.e. U-Boot.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/330#post_23778414

Regards
The chassis has been modified in this picture, here is what was changed:

post #2370 of 3708 Old 11-16-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Evelyn,

Please consider the following change for the IVIEW3500.

Pass through in standby the digital signal to the TV via the RF output. Many of us do not want or need Analog anymore!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page