post #2431 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemdeel View Post

Purchased a 3500STBII from Newegg.com for the purpose of Cable QAM tuning. This will be utilize for the HDMI IN function on the new Xbox One.

I currently allow the LG to perform the "in the clear" tuning, thus I have the channel numbers mapped. After reading the numerous posts on the matter, jumped into the MANUAL tuning. I entered in a tuned channel number, saw the signal meter jump and pressed OK. This resulted in no marked channel. I then proceeded to let the unit perform an AUTO scan with no results.

The unit was setup to CABLE and USA. It currently operates V9 software and after reading the posts, I will be downgrading to V7 later this evening and will post back the results.

Any feedback on the matter will be appreciated.

So glad I found this thread, I purchased the 3500STB a few days ago for the exact same puropose you did, QAM tuning, then HDMI out from iView to HDMI in on the XB1. Currently my samsung plasma tunes my cable signal and I get about 70-80 channels.

I was expecting to be able to simply plug in my coax cable to the back of the iview and choose an "autotune" function that would tune in all of the available channels, but it seems like I might have issues doing this with the current V9 firmware?

Also, does the iView have proprietary IR codes? I am hoping the IR code database that the kinect 2.0 uses has IR codes for iView devices..... it seems as if Harmony has IR codes for iView produects, MSFT would have included iView codes in their database as well.

I'll be sure to post impressions of the unit using the XB1 on Friday.

Also, is there much of a difference between the STB and STBII?
zeemdeel likes this.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Post 5 updated with V9

Like the previous version, it retains the "virtual" channel format. It 'sees' channels that have virtual channel numbers assigned by the local CATV operator. As mentioned many times, this can cause problems with certain systems. If you don't see what you think you should try a "physical" firmware version instead, but beware you will probably get bombed with tons of 'blank' channels depending on your system. You are best to do a "manual" channel add instead of a full scan so not to add all of those encrypted channels.
I see they they are showing September for the month of V9. This couldn't of been out that long has it?? confused.gif

Someone with that problem will have to report back as the problem doesn't exist on my system.

The transparent menu is on this version which I don't like. It's too transparent making it hard to see certain text in the menu depending on the active video. They need to go back to where they had it before and reduce the overall size of the menu. It's just too large for the limited text on the screen.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2433 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Bruce, you loaded v9 on your original 3500 without any problem or did you get a II box? Thanks.

Edit: I just loaded it now so you don't have to answer that. I'll report back if I see any significant difference between v6 and v9.

Also, your question about it being from September. The box wasn't out and being sold until very recently but the firmware would have the original date the finalized version was created before it was placed on it in the factory. It's typical for firmware dates to be months before a new box is first available to consumers.
post #2434 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11

Just a follow up post on using my version II box with a self powered external hard drive (specifically a USB3 Fantom Greendrive). Without doing the hardware mod, the external drive does go into standby and spin down. It is kind of hard to tell on the Fantom, but touching it with the 3500STB II off and I can feel no vibration like I can when it's spun up.

On another of my many side notes, when I tested with my old PS3's 60 gig HD in an external case (not exactly a drive designed to use little power, has the dual USB plugins and I have PC's it needed them on) I never felt my 3500STB II get warm even though that drive never stopped spinning with the DVR on or off.

Next test is to see how easily I can "use" the recordings in WMC by just plugging Fantoms USB cable into my normal HTPC setup. If it all works as planned, I should just have to plug the cable into something that is 6" away and WMC should be able to add them to the library and play them.

post #2435 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Also, does the tuner on the STBII running the V9 firmware it ships with still have the double searching "hiccup" on channels that the original has.

Version 9 still has this problem. I don't have an STBII but the v9 firmware on my 3500 so far seems to be no different than v6. I have not done a factory reset and/or rescanned for channels because it's not a good time for me to have to re-program all my recordings right now. When I'm able to I will do this to see how the tuner functions without having the channels already programmed from the previous version.
post #2436 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 PM

Liked: 12
V9 is working fine so far with the old 3500 box right now.
post #2437 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIEW View Post

Hi,

For all those who are currently own the IVIEW 3500STBII and want to have the V9 firmware, I have attached it to the forum. Please email me at evelyn@iviewus.com if you have any other questions or need anything else. Please let me know any feedback on this version or if any problems arise. V10 will be available shortly and please email me if you wish to test it before we confirm the final version.

For all the Logitech Harmony Remote users, both the 3500STB and 3500STBII have been added to the Logitech Harmony remote database. Please visit myharmony.com to register your remote. You can find the 3500STB or the 3500STBII under “iView.”

-Evelyn
usb_upgrade_all_flash.zip 3026k .zip file

This is in my email to Evelyn: 

I flashed the unit with v9 software and found the results were the same as I described before: no QAM stations successfully scanned from my Comcast location, which has several stations I am able to receive through my TV. It actually got stuck at the saving screen for greater than 1 hour. Additionally, I am able to perform a manual scan, and stations are able to be identified, but they do not get saved and no list is populated (it remains empty).

A secondary issue is that when I am using OTA, I schedule a program to be recorded at 3-4 am, but no recording occurs. This has occurred twice, once on v7 and v9. It has successfully recorded at 7 am. I turn the unit off after scheduling, and it did not record anything. I am wondering if the program guide changes, does that impact the recording in any way? One thing I noticed was that the program guide had indicated a program at 2 am on v7, but when I upgraded to v9, the program guide indicated the time to start was 3 am. No recording was ever produced.

Are there any debug steps that I can proceed with to assist?
Do you have a step by step procedure that you would like to use to verify the functionality of your firmware with QAM?
Is there access to a log file?
Do you have updated firmware for me to test out?

Please respond so that I may assist in the workability of your product.
post #2438 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

After doing a factory reset on v9, I still have yet to find any difference between v6 and v9 on the original 3500. So as far as I can tell, there is no particular reason for anyone with that box to upgrade, nor is there any reason to not upgrade if you should want to. Of course people have different setups and use their equipment for different purposes, so there may be differences I haven't come across, but just letting people know my experience.

I don't have cable, but from previous posts, it doesn't seem like the cable functionality on v9 would be any better for those who are currently running v7 on the original 3500 because of issues getting channels on v6. So you're probably better off waiting for the upcoming v10 unless you don't mind having to switch back to v7 and manually input your channels all over again.
post #2439 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

So I just got the 3500stb and the auto search finds nothing. My tv was able to find over 80 channels.

SW version is 20130806 V3

I'm thinking I need to update the software?

post #2440 of 3669 Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

So I just got the 3500stb and the auto search finds nothing. My tv was able to find over 80 channels.

SW version is 20130806 V3

I'm thinking I need to update the software?

Your previous post mentioned QAM. If you also do not get channels when manually scanning, then you need to downgrade to v7. See post 5.
post #2441 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Bruce, you loaded v9 on your original 3500 without any problem or did you get a II box?
It was the original box. I only check the channel ID issue with CATV systems, no OTA testing since it appears they are concentrating on that aspect which is why I labeled it "QAM_virtual".
Quote:
Also, your question about it being from September. The box wasn't out and being sold until very recently but the firmware would have the original date the finalized version was created before it was placed on it in the factory
Makes sense. That seems to tell me that version has little, if any difference from V6a from the same time period.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2442 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 04:11 AM

Dear Forum,

I just ordered the iView-3500STB model, I am a little concerned about which Firmware version is the best for this little box. Which one would you recommend me? 

I am a technological newbie and I appreciate your expertise. Thanks in advance,

post #2443 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Dear HDMI2012,

It comes with firmware already installed!

You should use it out of the box as is and only if you are having issues do you need to see what firmware is installed and if there is a newer or in some cases an older version that will address any issues you may have.
hdmi2012 likes this.
post #2444 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Finally got the 3500 STB to "QAM" in some channels, although it was a lot less channels then what the QAM tuner in my Samsung TV picked up. No ESPN or other sport channels.

Returning to Amazon today, juice wasn't worth the squeeze, even at $40. I'll just connect my Apple TV to the back of the XB1 and switch inputs for live TV.

Thanks for the help guys

post #2445 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know how to record a show with CC (closed caption)? I chose CC1 in configuration menu. I can see it in real time. But when I recorded a show, there is no caption when I played it back.
post #2446 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blust2 View Post

Does anyone know how to record a show with CC (closed caption)? I chose CC1 in configuration menu. I can see it in real time. But when I recorded a show, there is no caption when I played it back.

The captions are recorded on the iview but the iview will not play them back. You can view them on your computer using VLC or play them on another device that supports it.
post #2447 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Does the iView support SRT subtitles? If so, you can also extract the CC to SRT with CCExtractor and play them that way.
post #2448 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

This is what the recording contains, can CCExtractor open .mts or renamed to .m2ts files?

That's the whole point of the program. tongue.gif The question is whether the iView can use the SRT files it produces.

http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net

Try it and see what happens. To make the test as definitive as possible, I suggest using it on a recording that is only one file (not the mts1, mts2, mts3, etc. recordings broken into multiple files). Name the program and the SRT with exactly the same name, so you have program.mts and program.srt. If the subtitles don't play that way, you could try remuxing the episode into MKV to integrate the subtitles, but I don't know if the iView will play Matroska files.
post #2449 of 3669 Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

msho,

Have you tried setting the DST on off?

It was on off the whole time, and region set appropriately to Eastern. I thought it strange that one firmware version had a different showtime shown than the other. Well, I recorded last night and it actually recorded, but for the wrong time. I will try again with DST on this time.

post #2450 of 3669 Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Updated post two adding text concerning the QAM channel problem.

post #2451 of 3669 Old 11-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
videobruce
You have this as your sig.

Is it a joke or is it for real. You know how some guys put sarcasic stuff and funny stuff in their sig sometimes.

Especially the internet is no place for streaming video, really? I like streaming video, you tube, amazon, netflix, etc. It's a joke , right?
post #2452 of 3669 Old 11-22-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I always assumed it was serious. He doesn't like streaming, and neither do I. Buffering is obnoxious, and the slower your connection is, the more tedious streaming becomes.

You should probably have sent a PM about it, though, as this isn't really relevant to discussion of the iView. wink.gif
videobruce and LenL like this.
post #2453 of 3669 Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't joke about that. Ever wonder just how low a resolution image you are actually watching with your bandwidth restricted so called streaming?? rolleyes.gif

post #2454 of 3669 Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

I guess Bruce I can understand your first point, that especially with Digital OTA now available, I am getting many more stations than in the past when it used to be analog.

It was mostly the last statement that seems so OFF base, with how the tech world looks at this situation. Through the internet I can see streaming video of stuff happening in other parts of the world , ON DEMAND (when I want to) , and not be censured by local stations showing what the editor of station puts out.

Also, skype video chats, abc, nbc, stock market, You Tube stuff, etc are STREAMING their content to me and it looks great on my hdtv (and they have options at what resolution you want 480p/720p/1080p) . Are you saying the "quality" of the streaming is not as good, or the content is not as good as local OTA? Because doesn't it depend on how fast your connection is.

I sort of thought when I read the second line in your sig, your comment was like guys 100 years ago stating riding horses is more faster/better than driving in a car. And when cars were first made, yeah, a horse was more reliable. But, after a few years, cars were more reliable. I see that with streaming video. Also, we are in DVR room, where we are recording streaming video via OTA. Some recorders have different settings.

IN either case, I didn't mean to divert the forum room from the IVIEW. And it doesn't affect the great things you are contributing to these DVR forum rooms.

I sort of see you as tech guy, and so, your comment seemed like "old fashioned" guy , someone 80 years old not using a computer and writing letters by hand. And using the post office ONLY to communicate. Therefore I had a double take and was wondering where you were coming from. So you are serious. ok. And as I would say to 80 year old guy, not wanting to use a computer or smart phone or IPAD, ok old timer, watch your tv. (yeah, bro, I'm half joking, and if it wasn't for your cool guides and stuff, you seem so much more cooler than that second line in your sig) Peace.
post #2455 of 3669 Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 AM
tdx

Hi all,

has anyone tried this with the XBOX One yet? I'm going to be getting it so I can route OTA TV through the HDMI port but I want to make sure it works before ordering it.

Thanks!
post #2456 of 3669 Old 11-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 16
I sort of see you as tech guy, and so, your comment seemed like "old fashioned" guy , someone 80 years old not using a computer and writing letters by hand. And using the post office ONLY to communicate. Therefore I had a double take and was wondering where you were coming from. So you are serious. ok. And as I would say to 80 year old guy, not wanting to use a computer or smart phone or IPAD, ok old timer, watch your tv. (yeah, bro, I'm half joking, and if it wasn't for your cool guides and stuff, you seem so much more cooler than that second line in your sig) Peace.[/quote]

In reference to an 80 year old man and his desires, an 80 year old man was born at the end of the depression and chances are he went hungry at times, he saw his father, uncles, and relatives’ go off and fight in WW2, some never to come back, then the cold war, Korea, Vietnam, the recent wars and perhaps his sons and daughters went off to those as he did. He saw the beginnings of the jet age, space age, computer age, gadget age, he raised a family, sent them through 12 years of school and then through college at a toll on his health, all the time concerned about his family. At 80 he should have earned the respect of a man starting out on this journey not ridicule, he should be able to define his own wants as long as it does not affect others. Perhaps some of the younger generation will understand in 50 to 60 years.

VB is not near 80 but I almost am and I resent your definition of an 80 year old man.
My apologies to the group for the rant.
post #2457 of 3669 Old 11-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

johnnyrw2
I was just commenting on one LINE from Bruce's Sig. The Internet is no place for streaming video.
And at first thought that statement was a joke. But Bruce said it was not.
You do realize OTA are wireless signals that we pick up using an antenna, and we are WIRELESSLY recording streaming video via the IVIEW? smile.gif

Ironic, cable connection is seen to be NO place for streaming video but wireless feed is the right place for streaming video. smile.gif

Let's get back to IVIEW topic.
post #2458 of 3669 Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post

Hi all,

has anyone tried this with the XBOX One yet? I'm going to be getting it so I can route OTA TV through the HDMI port but I want to make sure it works before ordering it.

Thanks!

I would be very interested in knowing the answer to this too. It would be very cool if it worked, right? Let's hope so. We know the xbox one has a hdmi IN on the back, and it's suppose to work with cable tv. The Iview has an hdmi out. I'm thinking the xbox one would have to have the codes to changing the channels , because it has ir blaster built into the xbox. Maybe Iview can give MS the codes.

I guess we will know when first xbox one owner tries to use the iview with it.
post #2459 of 3669 Old 11-23-2013, 01:22 PM
tdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

I would be very interested in knowing the answer to this too. It would be very cool if it worked, right? Let's hope so. We know the xbox one has a hdmi IN on the back, and it's suppose to work with cable tv. The Iview has an hdmi out. I'm thinking the xbox one would have to have the codes to changing the channels , because it has ir blaster built into the xbox. Maybe Iview can give MS the codes.

I guess we will know when first xbox one owner tries to use the iview with it.

That will be me then. smile.gif I just ordered one and I will report back when I test it.
post #2460 of 3669 Old 11-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I've had mine for a while, and it seems like a pretty nice box. It has I think an August firmware on it that was only one version out of date, so I haven't bothered to flash it yet.

I do have a question, when I'm recording via a scheduled recording, and I start watching the show while it's still recording (say 30 mins into a 60 min recording), is there an easy way to jump to the beginning of the recording? I've tried everything and it seems like I have to rewind all the way.

Then after the recording ends, it kicks me out of the recording and returns to whatever channel it was on before the recording started.

Is the solution to go to the USB control panel and watch the show that way? Whenever I click that it tells me (I think) in engrish that it's going to end the recording. Or is that the way to do it so I can start from the beginning without issues?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page