iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2521 of 3372 Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

At some point in time, I would really like to see people post an honest review on this piece of junk. Tell it for what it really is, garbage Iview shouldn't of started selling until they had fixed all the problems it has...and quite a few it does have....geeezzz:mad:

You buy something and expect it to work, fresh out of the box....wrong. 

3500STB v3 cheesy remote(NewEgg), fine so we order the new remote because the one that comes with it is a joke and Iview should be ashamed of packaging that with the box....  Gee the new one is bigger, a lil heavier, and you think you are good to go....nope.  It becomes non-responsive, just like the cheapie one.....

Now let me get back to the box from hell....

First off it reboots or turns itself off and back on out of the blue

Manually saving channels can be tedious, I know they exist and are there.  Depending on the 'mood' of the box is how quickly you can get through that part of it.  Sometimes it saves them other times not. 

It takes some time to get it to save all the channels manually (OTA),  and there are many here in this area that are attainable (40+)... v 7 saw signal on almost every channel even where nothing existed and it would save nothing.....even though the dots were there all the way across the board.  Or, it assigns some oddball, insane number to the channel eg. 189-34, or a batch of consecutive numbers usually 5 or 6 of them.  How's about 3 or more versions of the exact same channel?

At random times the box decides it doesn't like a specific channel and its subs, and *poof* all gone!  There's no rhyme or reason to this, it just randomly deletes them.  I could be in the middle of watching something or turn it on the next day and batches of channels have pulled a disappearing act on me.  Delete channels that are useless like paid programming or the hispanic channels and they reappear....

Recording, pfff, it  stops in the middle of trying to record...signal for the channel is strong... says it's recording at the top of the screen but guess what?!

I check the recording on the laptop and the piece of crap, although it had the recording meter at the top of the screen, only recorded less than 4 minutes of an hours worth of the show...needless to say I am beyond fuming by now....Scheduling something to record and it doing it?  too funny  I have a better chance of hitting the powerball than getting a complete recording of something, clean without hiccups...  The dvr functionality of the 3500 was not why I bought this unit, I only assumed it would be an added bonus...

Oh, did I forget to mention I have tried every single version of the firmware?  and all of these issues have happened in each version. 

It makes >zero< difference which version of the firmware it gets upgraded to, ALL have around the same result....every one has issues and there is not much difference from one to next.   Their 'support' leaves little to be desired, and is almost totally non-existent....good luck with that end of it

RIght now, at present, the 'box' is back at v3, with a transparent menu, (pain in the *** by the way), and it 'thinks' it's a 3500STBII as per the 'info' screen..........

.Reality sets in, I wish I had NEVER bought this thing and should of gone with the other one I was looking at....

I've truly about had it with this piece of ****, and will leave an 'honest review' or rather a 'warning' to potential victims on NewEgg. I don't care whether they have a %off promo, or not, it is NOT worth the aggravation.  Asides, NewEggs return policy sucks as it is same for same within 30 days,  at least amazon is decent with theirs.  So, if any potential victim is doing research on this forum, please do yourself a favor and don't waste your time and $....   or my sympathies!  You buy something in good faith that it should WORK out of the box, and end up with something like this?  pfff.....reminds me of an old Ford I had....the hood was up more than 'down' and rolling....lol ;)  Have A Good Evening guys!

jazzy01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3372 Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 PM

Liked: 13

A lot of streaming video looks OK to me.  But I know it's compressed half to death.  I'm just digging around for all the program variety I can scrape up. As for using all that bandwidth for video, I understand there's still quite a bit of dark fiber buried around.  We only get the bandwidth they're willing to throw at us.  But the clarity of these little OTA iview and Homework boxes has prompted me to buy three of 'em!

ANYthing but Cable!
post #2523 of 3372 Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 PM

You forgot to mention it costs about as much as a steak dinner.  Sure it's a toy.  Funai/Magnavox/Philips has a new HD OTA product coming out.  A little over 200 dollars. Compared to cable: Cheap!  If the reviews are even half way decent, I'm THERE!

The entire OTA HD DVR catagory is functionally challenged.  So until something breaks loose, I stumble through the menu's, load up the Iview OTA schedule with programs, kick back, and see what happens. It's kinda fun.

ANYTHING but Cable!

ANYthing but Cable!
post #2524 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
At some point in time, I would really like to see people post an honest review on this piece of junk.
I already have if you had read the firsdt five posts which you obviousely haven't.

I must be missing something here. Was the price raised to $400 to warrant all of that??
This isn't the 50's 60's or maybe the 70's. Consumer products that have next to no flaws don't exist anymore.

Another one time poster.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2525 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Updated issues list: (Corrections welcome)

Entries with a * should be simple name and/or menu changes.

Foremost of importance is a clear, well written full size manual available on the web site with screen shots.

1. Allow user to select station that has the correct time instead of the system selecting some random station,

2. On CATV systems, the ability to skip all encrypted stations and ID all 'in the clear' stations (channels) with or without a virtual number without switching back and forth between firmware versions,

3. Add the ability to save program listings when returning to a channel so you don't have to wait for the listings to appear again,

4. Display the correct channel numbers on the display. If this isn't possible, display only two dashes. That irrelevant number is confusing.

5. Show "REC" on the display when recording,

6. Add an adjustable skip function for playback with adjustable skip periods,

7. When using 'Manual search' to save new channels, return back to the manual search screen after entry is saved instead of exiting. It's a real annoyance to re-enter the screen again to add additional channels,

8. Add a conformation step when using the 'Auto search' since it's easy to hit it by mistake and wipe out all your channels when you wanted to do a manual search,

*9. Remove the need for a password to edit channels and rename "Program" to "Channel". Then move this under the Channel tab, You are editing channels, not programs.

10. Remove that "PR" number from all CATV channels that don't and won't have the stations call letters displayed. It's a meaningless number that only confuses,

11. Remove “Radio” channels. This doesn't always see audio channels as “Radio”, placing many under the normal video. This just makes things more complicated and confusing,

*12. Activate the 'Quality” scale in the small Info box, not just the large box and don't time out that screen when it is called up manually to aid in antenna orientation,

*13. Remove those four choices for sorting the channels. They do not have any affect on channel order. Their labels are not common terms. The ability to move individual channels is already there,

14. Reduce the size of the pop up Info boxes (when using the Info button or anytime they appear) and make them transparent so one can see the video behind. They cover too much of the screen, especially the smaller box,

15. Move the “Resume/Exit” pop up box from the top of the playback list screen to the center and change the background color or emphasize it somehow to make it easier to see.

*16. Rename “Book” in the manual record screen to 'Schedule'. These aren't airline flights you are scheduling,

17. When scrolling through the recorded programs, use 'Play' to play the recording in full screen instead of that renamed “Schedule” key which is another confusing dual function button,
*18. Remove the “TV Format” entry in the menu since there is no “PAL” format in N. America,
*19 Rename “Movie” in USB mode to “Recordings”. These aren't always movies that are recorded
20. Add a 'space' entry when editing the program names to separate words,
21. Change the default HDMI audio to “Raw HDMI On”,
22. Volume & mute have no effect on the HDMI output when in Raw mode (for 5.1 audio),
23. Add a slow motion function,
24. During recording, when you click on 'Info', there are two entries that should be removed; “Max record size” which seems to be a duplicate of “Disk free space” and “Cur play size” which always shows “0KB”,
25. Is that above pop up suppose to display during playback? If so, it doesn't.
26. Remove all of those unnecessary digital wipe patterns when in the photos section. Add a simple 'dissolve' function in their place since that is the most useful. Digital patterns are distracting
27. Unable to return to Photo configure from Multimedia to change settings,
28. Use the l> l> and < l < l buttons to advance or go back in photo mode.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2526 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 106
For Angelfire1,

I own 2 of these and I spent under $80 including shipping.

I use them for OTA and they work quite well for me. I have a few complaints but for the most part I LOVE my IVIEWs. The original remote was bad but better replacements can be had easily and they are inexpensive!

I don't know if you got a LEMON or you are simply a bad owner (AKA it's you not the box who has a problem) but this box is NOT for everyone and if you read through the posts expecially the first 5 or 6 you would know what you were getting.
post #2527 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

For Angelfire1,

I own 2 of these and I spent under $80 including shipping.

I use them for OTA and they work quite well for me. I have a few complaints but for the most part I LOVE my IVIEWs. The original remote was bad but better replacements can be had easily and they are inexpensive!

I don't know if you got a LEMON or you are simply a bad owner (AKA it's you not the box who has a problem) but this box is NOT for everyone and if you read through the posts expecially the first 5 or 6 you would know what you were getting.

LenL, I feel the same way about the 3500STB.  I also own two of them which I use for OTA.

One unit I use exclusively for scheduled recordings.  On that one, in order to reduce the chance of dropped schedules and channels, when not recording I always keep it "parked" on a channel that has an accurate clock and a strong signal. And I don't channel surf with that unit.

I use the other iView for playback (just swap the hard drive with the other one) and for an occasional recording of a duplicate time slot program.

BTW, although the iView will record DD5.1, when you play back the recording as an .mts file it is only DD2.0 BUT what I have found is that when I use VideoReDo to edit out commercials in the program and save it as a .ts file, when you then play the edited program on the iView it plays it in DD5.1.

post #2528 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Love would be a bit strong, but it does work. You need to understand it, but it records HD and it costs less than $40. Do I wish it was more reliable? Yes, but what can you say for $40.rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #2529 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Love would be a bit strong, but it does work. You need to understand it, but it records HD and it costs less than $40. Do I wish it was more reliable? Yes, but what can you say for $40.rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

I agree.  I also own an MDR513 video recorder and it has the advantage that it can record from other video sources, not just OTA or cable, but unlike the iView it doesn't record in HD, doesn't record in DD5.1, and you can't get the recorded file off of the hard drive (although you can burn the video to a DVD).  Even with the newer Philips model HDR5710 which does record in HD and can use an external hard drive, it's not clear if the recorded file is encrypted or not.

post #2530 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

You are right my "LOVE" comment was a bit over the top! However, being the old coot that I am I sometimes use the wrong adjective. When I really mean "like" I may say love. I do love my 2 PALDVRs though.
post #2531 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

BTW, although the iView will record DD5.1, when you play back the recording as an .mts file it is only DD2.0 BUT what I have found is that when I use VideoReDo to edit out commercials in the program and save it as a .ts file, when you then play the edited program on the iView it plays it in DD5.1.

To be clear, the iView may downmix 5.1 to 2.0 upon playback as part of a firmware bug or hardware limitation, but the original 5.1 is still there, as the iView can only record what a station sends. Playing the recording on better hardware should enable 5.1 support without any editing.
post #2532 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

To be clear, the iView may downmix 5.1 to 2.0 upon playback as part of a firmware bug or hardware limitation, but the original 5.1 is still there, as the iView can only record what a station sends. Playing the recording on better hardware should enable 5.1 support without any editing.

Yes, the original .mts file recorded by the iView can be played on other hardware as DD5.1 (I verified this on a PC using the VLC media player).  And actually, all you need to do is change the file extension from .mts to .ts and the iView will play the same file (under the Movie menu) with DD5.1.

post #2533 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

You are right my "LOVE" comment was a bit over the top! However, being the old coot that I am I sometimes use the wrong adjective. When I really mean "like" I may say love. I do love my 2 PALDVRs though.

Yes, I have a high degree of affection for my Pal DVR also. Of course, even with the 1TB drive, the iView cost 1 third what I paid for the Pal. But, when it comes to reliable recording of all my channels the Pal wins hands down. The advantage the iView has is that I can just keep buying and filling up drives. wink.gif

post #2534 of 3372 Old 12-03-2013, 07:30 PM

Liked: 10
confused.gif

Well... nothing is perfect but I can tell you it's a great little dvr for OTA. I have been using it for many weeks and never had ANY problems with it.
I have great OTA TV signals here in Montreal ( Canada) including USA northern states. For me, I have never had trouble receiving, recording
scanning, fading etc. with this machine and I use it every day. I update it from time to time

Can't use (qam) for because the only local cable company V*d*otrooooon has very few ( so far) clear channels and most channels are analog crap

I can also tell you I sell them and they are flying of the selves here at $60 a piece plus tax and no customers come backs or complaints so far.smile.gif
post #2535 of 3372 Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 AM

I just bought one of these of Amazon for $40. I have a couple of questions

1) My HDTV's coax input broke off and I just wanna hook up an antenna to it to get OTA HD channels. I was told this was the cheapest option or me (coax in, HDMI out). So will my TV be able to pick up channels with the iView 3500 and a little antenna? For right now I'm not really worried about things like recording. As long as I can surf through a couple of local channels I'm fine.

2) Will I have to use two different remotes? One for TV and one for the iView? Is there a way to combine into one remote?

post #2536 of 3372 Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

Yes and no.......the new iView(3500II) has a somewhat universal remote that will control your TVs volume,  power, AV input select and two other programmable options. So technically you could control the major functions of your TV with the iView II remote. If you get the original iView with the crummy little remote you'd have to use your TVs remote along with the iView. Note both iView remotes do have a volume control that controls the line output level of the box, which could act as a volume control but I feel it's best to actually change the volume on your TV vs line output but you may be OK with either.

Some TV remotes also control things other than the TV but probably not something like the iView.

Lastly if you get the original iView you can also purchase the new remote for $10 PP from iView, I strongly suggest it as the original remote really sucked. To see the difference check out page 1 of this thread, Videobruce has some pictures including both remotes.

post #2537 of 3372 Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyCrayons View Post

I just bought one of these of Amazon for $40. I have a couple of questions

1) My HDTV's coax input broke off and I just wanna hook up an antenna to it to get OTA HD channels. I was told this was the cheapest option or me (coax in, HDMI out). So will my TV be able to pick up channels with the iView 3500 and a little antenna? For right now I'm not really worried about things like recording. As long as I can surf through a couple of local channels I'm fine.

2) Will I have to use two different remotes? One for TV and one for the iView? Is there a way to combine into one remote?

Ha I guess were are both on the same boat. This is certainly the cheapest option I found as well. I too accidentally broke off the coax antenna input on my Vizio LED and was forced to use this little box to watch TV OTA. That's until it suddenly stopped working...the thing will not pick up any channels during the scan process and I tried just about everything from power resetting to flashing all the different firmwares listed in this forum. Still no solution. Unfortunately my 3500stb may have some sort of hardware defect as one user here mentioned. Great little box otherwise when it worked for those 3 weeks. I will be buying the 3500STBII soon hopefully this time i don't receive a dud. 

Oh yeah and as for the remote...well I strongly suggest you buy the "new" remote that is if you bought the 3500STB (OLD) as opposed to the 3500STBII (Newer). The new remote does have learning capabilities, so it can control your TV Power and Volume + -, in addition to 2 other functions or buttons of your choice. The old remote on the other hand is a piece of trash. But you get what you pay for so i'm not complaining too much. I'll just buy another one since they are very cheap. Good Luck.

post #2538 of 3372 Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

iview-pic.jpg 36k .jpg file Got mine today. Did auto scan,it is on the saving, please wait screen for 10 minutes!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iview-pic.jpg (36.4 KB, 25 views)
post #2539 of 3372 Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

Got mine today. Did auto scan,it is on the saving, please wait screen for 10 minutes!!

This has happened to me. I think I had to pull the plug to shut it down, but when it rebooted the channels were actually saved before the lockup.
post #2540 of 3372 Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFire1 View Post

Oh, did I forget to mention I have tried every single version of the firmware?  and all of these issues have happened in each version. 

You could try the Homeworx firmware. I have had good luck with it, but it will not support QAM. But OTA, it has worked great for me on my iview. I then even bought another Homeworx for another room.
post #2541 of 3372 Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

On further reading and research looks like the internals like soc in I view is more than 7 years old. Are their similar players with better soc inside?
post #2542 of 3372 Old 12-05-2013, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Got a kick out of this "very cheap box";

http://videostrong.en.alibaba.com/product/1532561454-218487470/very_cheap_dvb_t2_set_top_box.html

post #2543 of 3372 Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Does this work in the US?
post #2544 of 3372 Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does this work in the US?

The DVB T2 box would not work in the US. They are essentially the same as the iView, Homeworx, etc., but not designed for US broadcasting standards. But, the are "very cheap boxes."biggrin.gif

post #2545 of 3372 Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

NT-52 doesn't look like it has hdmi out.
post #2546 of 3372 Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

It doesn't.
post #2547 of 3372 Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Quote:

It doesn't.
It looks to me like those $40 Federal converter coupon boxes, intended as tuner for a CRT TV with no digital inputs, only way cheaper, and without feature restrictions imposed. They should be good for quality old TVs that have already outlived or will soon be outliving their first generation converter boxes, and feeding older DVRs lacking digital tuners.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #2548 of 3372 Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
On my Samsung F5500 I don't even have to rename it to play.
post #2549 of 3372 Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 PM

I found the super brite LEDs can be muted by putting a few layers of window tinting film over the top.  (I happened to have a roll on hand.)  And it just sticks electrostatically and can be easily peeled off at any time.  Just keep it right over the display and do not cover the IR sensor.

post #2550 of 3372 Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

I agree.  I also own an MDR513 video recorder and it has the advantage that it can record from other video sources, not just OTA or cable, but unlike the iView it doesn't record in HD, doesn't record in DD5.1, and you can't get the recorded file off of the hard drive (although you can burn the video to a DVD).  Even with the newer Philips model HDR5710 which does record in HD and can use an external hard drive, it's not clear if the recorded file is encrypted or not.

Just got my Philips HDR5710 today.  Seems like a nice solid appliance.  Isn't as versatile as an Iview, but doesn't have nearly as many quirks, either.  I posted my preliminary review in the appropriate avsforum area.  BTW, you can hang a whole FLOCK of external drives on it.  Eight of 'em.

ANYthing but Cable!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page