28Likes

post #2611 of 3677 Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadlenPK View Post

So I have the same problem where if I turn the box off, when I turn it back on, more likely than not, it no longer has a signal for any channels. I then have to unplug it and plug it back for the signal to come back. I do leave the box on all the time so usually this is not a problem. It when this other bug happens where if i switch my input on my TV to the other HDMI port to watch the AppleTV, then switch back to my HDMI port my 3500 is connected to, the picture is gone and just kinda flickers every 5-10 seconds. No Sound, No access to menus or anything. I then have to turn off the box and turn it back on to get it to come back up...

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Play "Musical Firmware" and see which set of annoying bugs you like best.

My EPG has totally gone off the rails.  Gives half descriptions of two different shows, tacked back-to-back.  After programming an event or three, it totally seizes up.  I've tried every version of trash firmware at least once.

I'm hereby declaring my STBII a "Piece of Junk"!

ANYthing but Cable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3677 Old 12-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveurban View Post

i'm a long time member, rare poster who's read all these posts and the posts of the much shorter homeworx thread, and will buy either this or the homeworx version very soon. my question: for someone just looking to record one ota hdtv show at a time (to be viewed later with no time shifting or record-and-watch at the same time) using one of these with an attached usb hard drive (either 2.5" powered by the device or a self powered 3.5" unit), is one "better" (less buggy, cooler running, better passtrough, etc etc) than the other? thanks for your time & helpful input.

If I had to pick one, I'd say go with the Homeworx.  Don't bother with the Passthrough.  Get a little powered distribution amplifier like God intended.

The firmwares for the Iview all seem to have been tampered with by a drunken baboon.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #2613 of 3677 Old 12-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Trying to reverse engineer improvements into the firmware is hardly economical for a box that wouldn't be very exciting even if its firmware were polished. A single-tuner DVR that doesn't allow watching and recording at the same time is nothing to write home about when there are more capable DVRs to choose from.

The only strength these units have is that they use unrestricted storage (unlike the new Philips units), but there are dual-tuner recording solutions which meet that requirement, too.

Am I the only one who has a TV with an RF input AND two HDMI inputs?  Oh, there's that cute little distrubution amp I've got.  Wouldn't live without that, either.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #2614 of 3677 Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

Nothing like they used to even just 5 years ago. Now TVs give a choice between switching among too few HDMI inputs that take a week to make each switch, or using an external switcher for the video devices accumulated over 2 or 3 decades that don't have HDMI outputs, but can be switched virtually instantly, feeding the sole analog input on the TV. It's as if the content producers remained the TV owners, permitting you to "buy" any TV you please, as long as it only has features the content providers choose to allow you access to rather than the ones you used to take for granted, and still would have if the producers weren't inhibiting manufacture of TVs designed to last more than a few years.

They also make little auto-switching HDMI multi adapters which change to the most recently activated device automatically.  And they have an override button.

About 13 bucks.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #2615 of 3677 Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopundit View Post

Am I the only one who has a TV with an RF input AND two HDMI inputs?  Oh, there's that cute little distrubution amp I've got.  Wouldn't live without that, either.

Well, yeah, for that EXACT configuration, sure, you might be in a minority...

Me, the TV has an RF input (actually works sometimes) and four HDMI connections, VGA, four component/composite connections, stereo analog RCA and digital RCA and optical audio connectors, USB port, and probably stuff I've forgotten about.  But I only use one TV HDMI because everything else is plugged into my surround sound receiver and the TV is connected to the receiver "TV OUT" HDMI.  And of course everything turns itself on automatically as device inputs are selected and mostly can be controlled with the TV remote...but your point is taken since I made it myself earlier, there is some value in a single-tuner cheap DVR if the freaker actually worked right...

I laugh at your puny distribution amp since I use a masthead antenna amplifier and a bunch of splitters to feed RF to count 'em EIGHT devices throughout the house, which results in upwards of 100 channels of OTA TV from my homemade antenna in the attic.  To avoid a real fight breaking out I won't mention the antenna is partially made from coat-hanger wire and works better than a "professional" multi-bay bowtie or a huge LPDA with like a 17-element Yagi section with corner reflector or any store-bought item for DIGITAL broadcasts...oh, and I really WON'T mention who made the antenna amplifier I've been using for over 30 years now with incredible results...

Now if somebody would just make a single-tuner DVR with the same quality, or the same quality as my 24-year-old Mitsubishi CRT sitting below my big flat-screen in the living room, that I use as a cheap PIP or actually preferentially watch for non-hidef content because it has a better picture than a 1080 LCD...

post #2616 of 3677 Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopundit View Post

They also make little auto-switching HDMI multi adapters which change to the most recently activated device automatically.  And they have an override button.About 13 bucks.
I bought a 5X1 HDMI switch last year for about $40 or so intending to replace a fully manual 4X1. The seller failed to mention its auto switching feature. I returned it for refund soon as I found out how auto-switching malfunctions in my environment - switching here has to be 100% manual. I have zero tolerance for an automatic change that occurs because I choose to turn the switch or a device on or off. 6 of my 11 HDMI outputting devices in my A/V center are intended to be kept on 100% of the time. Several record on timer and can't be prevented from turning off when a timer completes except via manual intervention at timer end, or by having it play a program that will end after the timer ends, so need to be turned back on when I notice an off state. More than one needs a power cycling event as often as twice a day due to firmware limitations.

I have an A/V amp with 6 HDMI inputs, but it's all but useless in a PIP/POP environment like mine, which needs ability to select audio independently of video. An amp as a PIP/POP selector, or a dedicated PIP/POP selector like the ancient MultiVision 1.1 instead of the TV, would be great if I could find such a thing, and as long as it didn't have any restriction on source combinations, and featured 3 each of composite and component inputs in addition to 6 or more HDMI inputs.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #2617 of 3677 Old 12-16-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Technopundit;
Those four posts could of easily been combined into one.
jazzy01 likes this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2618 of 3677 Old 12-16-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I wish I was the forum moderator! Please keep this forum about the IVIEW and quit the off subject discussions!
jazzy01 likes this.
post #2619 of 3677 Old 12-16-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post

Well, yeah, for that EXACT configuration, sure, you might be in a minority...

Me, the TV has an RF input (actually works sometimes) and four HDMI connections, VGA, four component/composite connections, stereo analog RCA and digital RCA and optical audio connectors, USB port, and probably stuff I've forgotten about.  But I only use one TV HDMI because everything else is plugged into my surround sound receiver and the TV is connected to the receiver "TV OUT" HDMI.  And of course everything turns itself on automatically as device inputs are selected and mostly can be controlled with the TV remote...but your point is taken since I made it myself earlier, there is some value in a single-tuner cheap DVR if the freaker actually worked right...

I laugh at your puny distribution amp since I use a masthead antenna amplifier and a bunch of splitters to feed RF to count 'em EIGHT devices throughout the house, which results in upwards of 100 channels of OTA TV from my homemade antenna in the attic.  To avoid a real fight breaking out I won't mention the antenna is partially made from coat-hanger wire and works better than a "professional" multi-bay bowtie or a huge LPDA with like a 17-element Yagi section with corner reflector or any store-bought item for DIGITAL broadcasts...oh, and I really WON'T mention who made the antenna amplifier I've been using for over 30 years now with incredible results...

Now if somebody would just make a single-tuner DVR with the same quality, or the same quality as my 24-year-old Mitsubishi CRT sitting below my big flat-screen in the living room, that I use as a cheap PIP or actually preferentially watch for non-hidef content because it has a better picture than a 1080 LCD...

And I won't mention the 20 year old sofa on my front porch!

ANYthing but Cable!
post #2620 of 3677 Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoxsee View Post

Sadly even if we had US businesses that would be willing to attempt to design a decent DVR, with our wonderful patent/copywrite/DMCA issue's it could never be built in this country. I honestly feel lucky that there are some Chinese businesses that can see the untapped market for such devices builds them or we would get our choice of the cable company DVR or a TIVO and that is it.

Too true!

And I also find it interesting that the Chinese seem to be using a "Whack-a-Mole" business strategy. Many small vaguely-defined companies (iView, Mediasonic etc.) all using the same chip with slight FW variations. Charging throw-away prices,  ~$50,  they can expect to actually sell a lot of units while keeping their costs down with minimal investment, clunky antiquated UI, poor documentation. But I must say that Mediasonic/Homeworx are at least trying to provide good customer support for FW upgrades through their website and email.

Presumably this makes them a difficult target for TiVo's overly-aggressive lawyers. If TiVo attacks one, it could just fold and pop up somewhere else. I too am grateful to the Chinese. As a recent cord-cutter I was surprised to find the limited choices available. If the business and regulatory environment in N. America were fair and open it would be possible to get say, a name-brand Blueray player, or game box with OTA tuner(s) built-in for well under $100.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #2621 of 3677 Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Does this output a signal simultaneously on HDMI and component?

Sorry if this has been asked already. I did a search but did not find an answer.
post #2622 of 3677 Old 12-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riktar View Post

Does this output a signal simultaneously on HDMI and component?

Sorry if this has been asked already. I did a search but did not find an answer.

yes
Riktar likes this.
post #2623 of 3677 Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Post 5 update with V12
Since the focus has been on CATV, I did a scan and it recognized both encrypted and non-encrypted stations with their physical channel numbers. I will venture a guess that is the best they can do. This way you should get everything that is in the clear, but not by the virtual number displayed. Just get use to the actual CATV channel numbers. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2624 of 3677 Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 PM

Bruce,
Is there no way to get it to show virtual channel numbers?
post #2625 of 3677 Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Virtual channel numbers are assigned through PSIP for OTA signals or through some proprietary method that only a cable box can understand with many cable providers. Unless your cable company uses PSIP, the iView doesn't know what the virtual number should be. The best iView could do would be to enable arbitrary channel remapping, so that users could specify their own virtual numbers, e.g. making channel 21 appear as channel 3 "because I said so". Users could then define their own channel maps, regardless of what the physical numbers are or what the cable box thinks the virtual numbers should be.
post #2626 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The best iView could do would be to enable arbitrary channel remapping, so that users could specify their own virtual numbers, e.g. making channel 21 appear as channel 3 "because I said so".
Something the TiVo morons don't seem to grasp. rolleyes.gif
There are only a couple that allow this. The easiest way is to make up a chart of the conversion from one to the other.

post #2627 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Well I have to say thanks to all of you especially VideoBruce. I ordered my i-view 3500 II last Tuesday had it shipped with basic shipping but because of the time of year it was delivered Thursday instead of the 5-7 days, I think it is great and again thanks to all of you I knew what I was getting into before it even got here. I have one question I have read and searched this forum to find out how I can get the recordings to start 1 or 2 minutes before the start of the program guide time besides changing the record start time set by the epg.

Thanks,

John
post #2628 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcinc View Post

Well I have to say thanks to all of you especially VideoBruce. I ordered my i-view 3500 II last Tuesday had it shipped with basic shipping but because of the time of year it was delivered Thursday instead of the 5-7 days, I think it is great and again thanks to all of you I knew what I was getting into before it even got here. I have one question I have read and searched this forum to find out how I can get the recordings to start 1 or 2 minutes before the start of the program guide time besides changing the record start time set by the epg.

Thanks,

John

Why are you trying to find a way besides changing the record start time? That's how you do it.
post #2629 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post

The IR remote codes could be the key - there has to be a table in both products to decode the IR commands - AND the codes for the remotes are different but functionally equivalent.

BTW - has anyone documented the IR codes except for the big remote guys?
Here you go. Both are plain vanilla NEC1, Device 1 for iView and 128.255 for HomeWorx. Looks like the Homeworx shares some OBCs with its STB siblings, but a different device.subdevice. NEC1 is a very popular protocol since it's royalty-free.Thousands of models use it.

If you want the command byte, look at the OBC column and convert it to hex. Sometimes that will correspond to the command codes used in serial or IP comms as well. You will see that other than the protocol, there is no correlation between the iView and HomeWorx.

The iView was already in the JP1 database. I added the HomeWorx just now using signals I captured from a Harmony. I don't have either device myself.

iView: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12190
HomeWorx: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12205

I can post the pronto hex upon request.

Enjoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2630 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcinc View Post

Thanks,

John

Unlike Tivo or maybe some other more full featured DVRs the iView doesn't have the ability to start a program early or run late when using the PSIP guide for programming, it's one reason I basically program every event manually, with START and STOP times.

post #2631 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Unlike Tivo or maybe some other more full featured DVRs the iView doesn't have the ability to start a program early or run late when using the PSIP guide for programming, it's one reason I basically program every event manually, with START and STOP times.

Well you can still use the epg for scheduling recordings and just adjust the time however you wish. You don't have to start from scratch unless you want to.
post #2632 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Well you can still use the epg for scheduling recordings and just adjust the time however you wish. You don't have to start from scratch unless you want to.

True but since I generally program my events several days in advance, and PSIP in my area generally only goes out 12 or so hours, I don't really bother with the PSIP guide. But you are correct, if the event was in the guide it would probably be easier to just modify it after clicking on it in the PSIP guide :) 

post #2633 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 PM

I'm interested in getting it to work with the xbox one as well, but it's unclear to me if this was ever resolved.  Did an answer ever get posted?

post #2634 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburer View Post

I'm interested in getting it to work with the xbox one as well, but it's unclear to me if this was ever resolved.  Did an answer ever get posted?

No one ever posted that the iview codes were in the database. I don't have an xbox one so can't check for myself but if you have one you can check. It is confirmed to work with the Homeworx firmware however. I don't know if the xbox one has a learning or programming capability, but you can see if the IR code info posted just a few posts ago can be programmed into it.
post #2635 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

No one ever posted that the iview codes were in the database. I don't have an xbox one so can't check for myself but if you have one you can check. It is confirmed to work with the Homeworx firmware however. I don't know if the xbox one has a learning or programming capability, but you can see if the IR code info posted just a few posts ago can be programmed into it.

Forgive me, this is all new to me ... Seems like there are two things I could chase:  A firmware upgrade and "teach" the xbox one the IR codes.  That correct?

I did follow the firmware upgrade trail but am having trouble finding the actual HW-150PVR firmware file.  It appears that all links (those to the mediasonic forum listed in the AVS thread and any third party download sites) have removed the file.  Not sure what's up with that.

The firmware upgrade seems an easier route to me.  Does anyone have a copy of that firmware they could send me?  (Or is that better asked over on that forum?)

As for the other, I'm not sure what I'm looking for or what I should do.  Do I take the iView rmdu file and look for a way to copy off a USB stick?  (Like M$ will give me that kinda file system access.  ;))

Thanks for the reply and any additional help!

post #2636 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you are looking for a Homeworx FW, best to look in that thread.

post #2637 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburer View Post

Forgive me, this is all new to me ... Seems like there are two things I could chase:  A firmware upgrade and "teach" the xbox one the IR codes.  That correct?

I did follow the firmware upgrade trail but am having trouble finding the actual HW-150PVR firmware file.  It appears that all links (those to the mediasonic forum listed in the AVS thread and any third party download sites) have removed the file.  Not sure what's up with that.

The firmware upgrade seems an easier route to me.  Does anyone have a copy of that firmware they could send me?  (Or is that better asked over on that forum?)

As for the other, I'm not sure what I'm looking for or what I should do.  Do I take the iView rmdu file and look for a way to copy off a USB stick?  (Like M$ will give me that kinda file system access.  wink.gif )

Thanks for the reply and any additional help!

You can load the homeworx fw and get it to work. There are even multiple videos in the Homeworx thread showing you how. However, if you do not have either a homeworx or harmony remote and are not sure you're going to be able to get the xbox working properly with it, then I would advise against it since you will no longer be able to control the box with your iview remote.

If you want to load the firmware, you have two choices - the one for the old box or the new box. You can find v10 (for the old box) in the HW thread in one of my posts where I uploaded it. This version does not have a dash key and will not work as well with the xbox one guide on the single digit channels. If you want the dash key, which works better with the one guide, you can load v14 (for the new box and new remote). I'm not going to link to it here but you can find the file in the xbox forums (not on avs, on xbox.com). I found it quite easily with the first search I did. Since it's not my file, and I don't have my own copy of v14 to compare it to, I cannot personally vouch for it's integrity. To get an official copy of v14, you would have to email mediasonic. They will give it to customers but you are not a customer of theirs so I will leave that between you and them.

As for the IR codes, like I said, I don't have an xbox one and do not know if your remote is programmable. That is something you should already know or easily be able to find out. I've already done enough research for you really. If it is programmable, you can program the iview IR codes. How you do this would depend on the remote and how microsoft has designed this function to work.
post #2638 of 3677 Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Liked: 12
Does this sound like a tuner getting rIt rund eady die.

I have had my 3500 since may 31/13 it runs 24 hours a day never turn it off. Today I had something I never seen before a ground of channels will not tune in. Power meter shows there at 75%. So using same cable and another tv all channels work fine. Back to box no go. All other channels work fine.

Other odd thing if I let the box set on the group of channels all in the 6.x rang it will tune it after about a hour. I have rest the box and still the same thing.

So does this sound like the tuner is going bad?
post #2639 of 3677 Old 12-19-2013, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Something your MSO did that only affects this.
Try a rescan.

post #2640 of 3677 Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troydog View Post

Does this sound like a tuner getting rIt rund eady die.

I have had my 3500 since may 31/13 it runs 24 hours a day never turn it off. Today I had something I never seen before a ground of channels will not tune in. Power meter shows there at 75%. So using same cable and another tv all channels work fine. Back to box no go. All other channels work fine.

Other odd thing if I let the box set on the group of channels all in the 6.x rang it will tune it after about a hour. I have rest the box and still the same thing.

So does this sound like the tuner is going bad?

Not really, although I'm not sure what a tuner going bad sounds like, even after experiencing some tuner failures, at least one of which was (and maybe all of them were) just temporary failure(s)... However, I can say from experience you will have all kinds of strange behavior from digital tuners, since they are not just IF mixer/amps like analog, but computer programs too, and as such you will experience quality (and difference) of implementation on both the broadcaster/cable and receiver sides.

With my iView I occasionally cannot receive a particular station, which just happens to be the strongest station in my area, so strong you don't even need an antenna to receive it, but the iView will show "NO SIGNAL" with the signal strength meter at 100% (whaaaaaa?), and all my other TVs receive it just fine.

Sometimes if I let it sit with the "NO SIGNAL" message for upwards of 15 minutes, all of a sudden it comes in fine (sound familiar?).

But I'm not surprised, since I have had a single TV not receive a particular channel but still show 100% signal strength before, for weeks on end, while all my other TVs received it fine, except minus program info (which may be a clue as to the problem, since when the program info reappeared so did the reception of the channel on the problem TV).

Weirdest and worst experience of all was one station was broadcasting something NONE of my TVs liked, and they all had different weird symptoms, but the God-blessed Sony in my living room locked up, started playing the audio from the TV speakers REALLY LOUDLY instead of from the surround sound system like it was set up, and didn't display a picture, but just the program info flashing on and off randomly at about an average of three seconds.  And when I say it was "locked up", I mean I couldn't operate it from the remote, or the buttons on the TV, couldn't turn it off, and best of all, pulling the power plug also would not reset the thing, when I plugged it back in, it was still locked on the same channel with the sound blaring.  That was one of several times I had to use the hard reset "feature" of the TV to regain control.  I called the station up and told them they were broadcasting something that was screwing up all my TVs, and didn't try using the Sony again until the other TVs displayed no symptoms.

Welcome to the magical age of digital TV...

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page