Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #2701 of 3515 Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Generally the Disney channel or even CNBC is not "clear QAM". Clear QAM(unscrambled) are the only channels something like the iView will tune. Does your TV get all the channels you want? The iView won't get any channels a TV with a digital tuner will get, possibly even less since the iView doesn't have a analog tuner and your TV more than likely does.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3515 Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yes I get disney and cnbc on the tv just with the tuner they are not scrambled here ,part of basic cable in the building
post #2703 of 3515 Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I know whats going on then, are Disney and CNBC on channels that are whole numbers(eg 2.0 or 23.0 or even just 23)? if so they are analog channels which the iView will not tune. The iView only has a digital tuner and as such can only receive channels like 2.1 or 23.2

If your channels are analog you'll need a DVR with a analog tuner, which are getting harder and harder to find.

post #2704 of 3515 Old 12-29-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 16
I like the option to adjust the amount and turn off transparency with 120113_V12_physical, but with it are a couple of new problems:

-Now, when I hit the pause key, it goes directly to the files in the hdpvr (or whatever) directory, instead of the Music/Pictures/PVR/etc. menu.. This is not so bad, a shortcut if you will.
-To enter timeshift mode, I must hit the play key, whereas before it was the pause key.
-When in timeshift mode, pressing the stop key immediately ends the timeshift mode, no menu prompt. I remembered there being a confirm prompt, could be mistaken.
-Time is screwed up again, I have to enter -6 hours instead of what it should be, -5 hours.
-After entering USB on remote, it lands on the 1st option, not where I last used it, being the PVR. A minor quirk, I just wonder why they change so many things back to the old, broken versions when performing a few tweaks?

Anyone else experience these issues with the 120113_V12_physical version?

Perhaps they are working with different revisions?

Gonna try V13a_122713 and see what that does.

Ay any rate, I am glad they are releasing different versions, at least we have a choice. Impressive for a $40 product. I love it.
post #2705 of 3515 Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 PM

OK, a few things wrong with my previous post:

I was using the file from post 5, V13a_122713.zip, (V13a_122713.bin) which reads as SW Version: 20131213 aV13, NOT version 120113_V12_physical, as I stated in previous post.

rant

By the way, file 120113_V12_physical.bin reads as SW Version: 2013112 V12 on my iView-3500STB.

Is there a good reason why these files are named differently than they show up when flashed and read from menu if iView?

Why name a file V13a_122713.bin if it is 20131213 aV13? Isn't 1227 different than 1213? WTF?

fknwpejrkjsnvnsmrgsidfvomsonv. sepogrnipandofnaornfpoanrgnapongr,12984315n1kjbr987qdn3iuh

I think the alternative software names of monkey, doorway, skylight, etc. might be easier to follow.

I suppose my remote issues are due to my unit being an STB, not STBII.

/rant
post #2706 of 3515 Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

OK, a few things wrong with my previous post:

I was using the file from post 5, V13a_122713.zip, (V13a_122713.bin) which reads as SW Version: 20131213 aV13, NOT version 120113_V12_physical, as I stated in previous post.

rant

By the way, file 120113_V12_physical.bin reads as SW Version: 2013112 V12 on my iView-3500STB.

Is there a good reason why these files are named differently than they show up when flashed and read from menu if iView?

Why name a file V13a_122713.bin if it is 20131213 aV13? Isn't 1227 different than 1213? WTF?

fknwpejrkjsnvnsmrgsidfvomsonv. sepogrnipandofnaornfpoanrgnapongr,12984315n1kjbr987qdn3iuh

I think the alternative software names of monkey, doorway, skylight, etc. might be easier to follow.

I suppose my remote issues are due to my unit being an STB, not STBII.

/rant

The name of the files in post 5 is videobruce's naming, not iview's.

Your other post about the differences are all a result of your previously using original remote software and now using new remote software. You can always go back to using the original remote software if this version does not give you any additional benefits.
post #2707 of 3515 Old 12-30-2013, 02:08 PM

I recently got the 3500STB to try and get the normal free channels through the cable connections in my apartment. I've tried a lot of the different updates and had the auto search run in Cable mode, but have yet to find any channels. Should I just go buy some antennas and go OTA, or am I missing something in the process for QAM?

post #2708 of 3515 Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

More than likely your free channels are analog which the iView won't tune, an antenna would work, that or you'd have to find a DVR with a analog tuner.

JRoderickG likes this.
post #2709 of 3515 Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be picking up some antennas today.
post #2710 of 3515 Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 PM

Liked: 13

I'm personally unconcerned about the numbering scheme.  However, I installed V13 on my STBII.  Quite happy with the variable menu transparency.

Scared to death this new FW is going to break something else.

So far, A-OK.  The red light even lights when the unit is off, and the green LED, when it's on.

Amazing!

ANYthing but Cable!
post #2711 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 AM

I will be sticking with the most stable firmware I have used so far with my 3500STB and old remote: From the iView website support/firmware location, I choose the file "IVIEW-3500STB-upgrade" (not the other one, "IVIEW-3500STB-remote-upgrade" which is "usb_upgrade_all_flashVR.bin") with a size of (listed) 3.2MB and a date of (listed) 10/14/2013. Upon download said file is named "usb_upgrade_all_flashV6.bin" and Windows Explorer shows it as 3231KB, and when viewing the file properties shows an exact size of 3,308,156 bytes. When flashed, the SW Version is listed as 20130806 V3 in the 3500STB menu. Here we go again with the version naming inconsistencies.

Now that all that is as clear as mud, I can say this version (20130806 V3) has been the most stable for me. And I've used several of them. While I liked v13 with the translucent menus, (seems to me there was another, previous version or 2 that had translucent menus, but they weren't adjustable?) not having the new remote caused too many issues, and it just wasn't stable on my unit. Random freezes and the dreaded black flashing when changing channels happened a few times in addition to the remote issues. My hardware is ATSC 7816XD-01. I only use the OTA channels, but have tested the QAM channels.

And Harmony has 2 different versions of the 3500 software. As I have the old remote, I used the 3500STB, not the 3500STBII. Don't feel like doing any more beta testing with the remote, as even though the harmony software mostly works, there are still a couple functions it needs to learn and/or relearn.

So I'll be sticking with this version for now. Videobruce, where did all these other versions you posted in post 5 come from? The iView website only has 2 at this time.

At any rate, thanks to all for all the information and tips. Hard to believe you can have so much fun with a $40 device. It's way cool and I have recommended it to a few friends.
post #2712 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopundit View Post

I'm personally unconcerned about the numbering scheme.  However, I installed V13 on my STBII.  Quite happy with the variable menu transparency.

Scared to death this new FW is going to break something else.

So far, A-OK.  The red light even lights when the unit is off, and the green LED, when it's on.

Amazing!

I too like the variable menu transparency of V13 and have loaded it on both of my iViews.  V13 firmware appears to work equally well on both the model 1 and model 2, at least for OTA.

post #2713 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 121
chazdole;
You could of saved yourself a lot of time by just reading post 5.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2714 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quick question. I only have OTA signal. Which one should I get to record my shows Iview or Homeworx. Is there a option to record in 3 different modes? Thanks!

post #2715 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

chazdole;
You could of saved yourself a lot of time by just reading post 5.

I did read post 5. The firmware info in post 5, while your hard work is appreciated, is a bit lacking. Things such as which firmware is for the STB vs. STBII. What fixes are in this version. What this version breaks. I realize this is a volunteer site, but to tell me to "save myself a lot of time by reading post 5" seems a bit rude when very little info about the firmware is actually in that post. And what info is there seems to not be accurate. For instance, the file in post 5 "080813_V3a.zip" which decompresses to "080813_V3a.bin" reads as 20130806 V3 on my machine after flashing, the same as when I flashed from the file from the iView site, "usb_upgrade_all_flashV6.bin." Both files have the same size, 3231KB, so I am wondering about that issue? Are they the same? What has changed? Where do these files in post 5 even come from?

I don't think a single firmware file I have used (from this site or the official iView site) has actually corresponded to the name of the file after I flash.

Maybe it's just me.
post #2716 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

The iView cannot tune the NTSC (analog) channels that your ancient TV can tune. smile.gif

So I'm supposed to plug this directly into the wall outlet? I don't care about the premium channels, I just wan't the basic channels. Comcast broadcasts those un encrypted right, so it should be able to pick those up?
post #2717 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumun View Post

So I'm supposed to plug this directly into the wall outlet? I don't care about the premium channels, I just wan't the basic channels. Comcast broadcasts those un encrypted right, so it should be able to pick those up?

If your ancient 20-year-old TV is picking up the channels straight off the Cable line then those channels are ANALOG. The iView will NOT tune analog channels.
Quote:

I guess I don't understand why that is. The coax line from my cable box plugs directly into my 20 year old tv, and gets a signal (on channel 3), if the iView can find a billion other channels, why can't it see this one? Are you saying it might work if I plug the iView direct into the wall outlet, and bypass the cable box all together?

And I don't see much cheaper ways to add DVR functionality, this little box only cost 30 bucks, AND it converts the coax to HDMI (another feature I want the iView for).

The Channel-3 output from your Cable Box is ANALOG. The IView will not tune it, even though your ancient 20-year-old TV can.

IF you connect directly to the Cable coming from your wall you will only be able to receive unencrypted channels. If you have Comcast you are probably SOL . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #2718 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM

^ No I do actually need to use a cable box, the signal coming out of the wall is digital (I'm pretty sure there was a law passed years ago that says all cable signals must be digital).

The problem is, my cable box has no dvr, and no hdmi out, so that's why I thought the iView would help me.

So I just tried plugging the iView direct to my cable outlet, and it DID seem to find something when scanning. I let it run for like an hour, but when I came back, as I flip through the channels they all say 'scrambled'.

Has anyone else gotten this to work with basic comcast cable service? I didn't think they would scramble the basic channels... maybe there is some setting I am missing?
post #2719 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Thread Ender

You're probably not missing anything. Comcast has been scrambling all channels in more and more cities. Where are you located?

Joe's thread....

They consider THIS
post #2720 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 11:47 AM

Located in Colorado Springs. Just called Comcast, and the guy I talked to was pretty sure they ARE being scrambled (even the basic channels), however he was not 100%. He did suggest I might be able to go to my local office and get a 'cable card', that would descramble the channels? Is that going to work with the iView? I'm guessing no.

Damnit... If this thing could just pick up the output signal AFTER it's run through the cable box, it would work PERFECT for my needs... Maybe there is some way to configure the comcast cable box (the basic motorola one you get with xfinity service), so it outputs a digital signal that the iView can digest?

*** ooooh, is THIS the one I should have gotten? Says it has analog pass through... thats what I need right?

http://www.amazon.com/3500STBII-Digital-Converter-Pass-Through-Capability/dp/B00GOILYB6/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388519559&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=iveew+3500

only two bucks more... can anyone confirm this will do what I want?
post #2721 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

^ No I do actually need to use a cable box, the signal coming out of the wall is digital (I'm pretty sure there was a law passed years ago that says all cable signals must be digital).

The problem is, my cable box has no dvr, and no hdmi out, so that's why I thought the iView would help me.

So I just tried plugging the iView direct to my cable outlet, and it DID seem to find something when scanning. I let it run for like an hour, but when I came back, as I flip through the channels they all say 'scrambled'.

Has anyone else gotten this to work with basic comcast cable service? I didn't think they would scramble the basic channels... maybe there is some setting I am missing?
You don't need a cable box or an iView. You need a cable card tuner (Samsung, Tivo, Ceton, Silicon Dust).
post #2722 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Located in Colorado Springs. Just called Comcast, and the guy I talked to was pretty sure they ARE being scrambled (even the basic channels), however he was not 100%. He did suggest I might be able to go to my local office and get a 'cable card', that would descramble the channels? Is that going to work with the iView? I'm guessing no.

Damnit... If this thing could just pick up the output signal AFTER it's run through the cable box, it would work PERFECT for my needs... Maybe there is some way to configure the comcast cable box (the basic motorola one you get with xfinity service), so it outputs a digital signal that the iView can digest?

*** ooooh, is THIS the one I should have gotten? Says it has analog pass through... thats what I need right?

http://www.amazon.com/3500STBII-Digital-Converter-Pass-Through-Capability/dp/B00GOILYB6/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388519559&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=iveew+3500

only two bucks more... can anyone confirm this will do what I want?

No that box will not work. It's the same as the one you have with a different remote and power reconfig for the usb.

Analog passthrough means it will allow analog signals to pass through to the TV untouched. The iview does not do anything with them. It does not have an analog tuner period.

If your cable channels are analog, this box is useless to you for cable no matter what you do.
If your cable channels are scrambled, this box is useless to you for cable no matter what you do.
Again, like I said before, this box will not record anything from your cable box. It can only record what it tunes in itself.

Basic cable channels can be encrypted like anything else and more providers are choosing to go this route. If you think there is a chance some of your channels are not encrypted, then do a manual scan for those channels and you will find out.
post #2723 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 297
As others have said (and your own Comcast representative has confirmed), your cable feed is encrypted, which means you can only record your channels using one of the following methods:
  • Rent Comcast's DVR
  • Buy a TiVo and rent a CableCard for it
  • Build an HTPC with a HD HomeRun tuner and rent a CableCard for it
  • Buy a Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder to record the SD output of your cable box
  • Use a VCR to record the SD output of your cable box
  • Put a camcorder in front of your TV

The last two options are offered in jest, but technically they would work. wink.gif
post #2724 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You don't need a cable box or an iView. You need a cable card tuner (Samsung, Tivo, Ceton, Silicon Dust).

I already have a cable box, which descrambles the signal. If I pass that signal to the 'analog passthrough' version of the iView, wont it be able to record it, and send it on to my tv via hdmi?

And my comcast office said they would rent me a 'cable card' for $1 a month, but im assuming its a actual 'card' that plugs in somewhere? So it wont work with the iView itself? But in any case, wont my above solution (wall -> cablebox -> analog passthrough iView -> TV), work just fine?
post #2725 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I already have a cable box, which descrambles the signal. If I pass that signal to the 'analog passthrough' version of the iView, wont it be able to record it, and send it on to my tv via hdmi?

And my comcast office said they would rent me a 'cable card' for $1 a month, but im assuming its a actual 'card' that plugs in somewhere? So it wont work with the iView itself? But in any case, wont my above solution (wall -> cablebox -> analog passthrough iView -> TV), work just fine?

Repeating the question over and over is not going to change the answer. Like I told you when you first asked this and like I repeated just above, the iview WILL NOT record anything from your cable box. Period. Ever. It's impossible. Either buy something else or go without.
post #2726 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 03:21 PM

Ok thanks, it's just kinda confusing for the product to say it supports analog passthrough, but not be able to record that very signal as its 'passing through'.

And what about the cable card mdavej suggested. How would that work?

Or assuming that also would not work, can anyone please recommend a box that converts coax to HDMI, and has dvr capabilities? Something around the same price as the iview (40 bucks) would be nice.

Thanks
post #2727 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:

Ok thanks, it's just kinda confusing for the product to say it supports analog passthrough, but not be able to record that very signal as its 'passing through'.
And what about the cable card mdavej suggested. How would that work?
Or assuming that also would not work, can anyone please recommend a box that converts coax to HDMI, and has dvr capabilities? Something around the same price as the iview (40 bucks) would be nice.
Thanks

Pass-through means just that. In one connector, out the other. No stops, no processing, no nothing. Jus' passin' thru.

CableCards will work in a TiVo or other supporting devices. No $40 device will ever support CableCard.

Coax to HDMI is performed by a tuner. Adding DVR capabilties means you're talking about a TiVo. biggrin.gif

What you are looking for does not exist at anywhere near the lowball price you are looking to pay...

I'd like to buy a shiny new Mercedes with all the bells and whistles. Something around $500 would be nice . . . smile.gif

They consider THIS
post #2728 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 04:05 PM

So how much are we talking? Can you post any links?

I have an old tivo, but it does not have hdmi out...
post #2729 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 297
As I already said, you can rent a DVR from Comcast which has the lowest up-front cost. If you're going to subscribe for several years, eventually it will be more expensive than the other options. The second cheapest option is to buy a TiVo HD with lifetime on eBay, which would probably cost around $300. You just need to check the listing carefully to make sure that it already has a lifetime subscription to the TiVo guide service associated with it.

The HTPC route would probably cost < $500 if you selected the cheapest parts necessary to make it work, but it requires much more time to configure. Both the TiVo and HTPC routes require you to pay that $1 fee to Comcast to rent a CableCard. If you get Comcast's DVR, the monthly fee will probably be higher than renting just the CableCard.
post #2730 of 3515 Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM

You would think there'd be a simple box that does not require any service/subscription fees. All I want is to be able to pause/rewind whatever channel I am currently viewing. I dont care about scheduling shows/times/channels, etc...

The reason I jumped on this iView is that Amazon had it listed as Digital Converter Box that also records! It had coax in and hdmi out, and thats exactly what I needed. Alas, it was not meant to be.

There must be some cheap way record/pause/rewind live tv (and hopefully convert coax to hdmi at the same time).

** ok I guess what I want is a "PVR"? Not a DVR? Just to recap, it needs to take the coax output from my cable box, convert it to hdmi, and allow me to 'time shift' whatever channel I am currently watching. I Searched for PVR on amazon, but I am afraid of buying the wrong thing again, so any help appreciated!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page