35Likes

post #2791 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Not sure what you are saying or trying to confirm. The IView is a converter box with DVR ability. If you are passing an RF signal to your TV it is converted from digital to analog ...yes? I think what people want is to have the IVIEW able to record and at the same time watch HD programming. That doesn't happen as far as I know.

Not sure I like your condescending tone, but in the event that you are from the east coast I'll presume you are just being direct. I know what the iview is, bub. I own one and use it. Do you? I'm not so sure after reading your post.

Wrong on a few counts. If you are PASSING a signal (loop thru) it is the signal from the antenna, there is no "conversion" going on. As in, "here, pass this down to the next person." If you are SENDING a tuned station or recorded video thru the coax to ch3/4 it IS being converted from digital to analog. See the difference? I don't know how else to phrase it.

I thought I was clear, perhaps not. Regional dialects and phrasing often creates misunderstanding on the interweb, I have found.

So, YES, the iview CAN record one show while passing the antenna signal to your HD TV via coax cable. Note the iview must be in "Loop Thru" mode via menu. So you in fact can be recording a show on the iview while simultaneously watching another via the "antenna in" coax input on the TV.

That was the whole point of my post., that on MY UNIT, that is the case. Some posts made remarks that the iview more or less wouldn't do pass thru. This is not true in all cases. And I can't believe mine is the only unit that performs in this manner.

Also, the antenna signal was not degraded appreciably (no more than you would expect from 30' of coax and a couple more connections, perhaps 10%) WHETHER THE UNIT WAS OFF OR ON. Some have had issues with no loop thru unless iview was on, or a severely degraded signal when turned off.

So now you know. Let me know if you need further clarification. Always glad to help when someone doesn't understand.
jjeff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMETT View Post

I tried going right and left and that gave me  1  more channel,  Hoping to get this figured out, the only reason I bought this was for the dvr function.  For firmware are you talking about post 5.

Yes, the versions I have tried are all from Post 5 and the iview website.  But have not tried v12 and 13 yet.  The one that works pretty well for me is 130618 v7 on cable.  Since cable does not generate date and time info to use, this version at least keeps time when in standby.  Some versions go to 0:00 every time it is switched off.  Have had good luck recording with multiple times and all the channels show up on the schedule page.  Some channels have fallen off and one keeps popping back up after deletion, apparently a spurious encrypted channel and comes back multiple times.

post #2793 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Chazdole,

I'm just being direct. No need to get your back up. I am not familiar with the term you are using and how you are using it.

I currently own 2 Iviews. I split the signal to the TV with both of them with an external splitter. It is my understanding that the IVIEW only passes a analog signal via the RF out jack. I would like to be able to not split the signal to the TV and watch HD TV while the IVIEW is recording. From many posts on this forum I never read that anyone has been able to do that.

I also own 2 PALDVRS and they pass through the HD signal even when they are not on. This is what I was looking for in the IVIEW.
post #2794 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Chazdole,

I'm just being direct. No need to get your back up. I am not familiar with the term you are using and how you are using it.

I currently own 2 Iviews. I split the signal to the TV with both of them with an external splitter. It is my understanding that the IVIEW only passes a analog signal via the RF out jack. I would like to be able to not split the signal to the TV and watch HD TV while the IVIEW is recording. From many posts on this forum I never read that anyone has been able to do that.

I also own 2 PALDVRS and they pass through the HD signal even when they are not on. This is what I was looking for in the IVIEW.

The iview is supposed to work like your paldvrs but in practice fails for most of us. Chazdole apparently has ideal circumstances with frequencies and reception for it to work for him. The iview should pass through the signal untouched to the TV if you have loop through selected in the menu and should work whether on or off. It does not work when off for the vast majority of people and it weakens the signal when on for many people to an extent that a splitter works better. You can try it for yourself and see if you happen to have the magic circumstances for it to work well. For those who have not bought yet, you should expect it NOT to work since that is the majority experience and if you get lucky and it does, then it is a bonus.
post #2795 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

.....So, YES, the iview CAN record one show while passing the antenna signal to your HD TV via coax cable. Note the iview must be in "Loop Thru" mode via menu. So you in fact can be recording a show on the iview while simultaneously watching another via the "antenna in" coax input on the TV.

That was the whole point of my post., that on MY UNIT, that is the case. Some posts made remarks that the iview more or less wouldn't do pass thru. This is not true in all cases. And I can't believe mine is the only unit that performs in this manner.

Also, the antenna signal was not degraded appreciably (no more than you would expect from 30' of coax and a couple more connections, perhaps 10%) WHETHER THE UNIT WAS OFF OR ON. Some have had issues with no loop thru unless iview was on, or a severely degraded signal when turned off.

So now you know. Let me know if you need further clarification. Always glad to help when someone doesn't understand.

Your findings are the same I've found on my original iView3500 with the newest firmware, this was not the case with the original firmware which severely attenuated the signal when OFF. To the OP, of course to use the RF passthru feature you probably need a TV with a digital tuner, that is if you want to watch a digital channel on your TV while recording a different digital channel on the iView.

edit: a couple of posts while I was posting, IMO it's best to just use a quality RF splitter and avoid the RF passthru on the iView. True it requires a splitter and a  short RF cable and will attenuate the signal ~3.5db but at least you know it  will always work, I guess you could try the passthru first and if you had issues then go the splitter route.

chazdole likes this.
post #2796 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Your findings are the same I've found on my original iView3500 with the newest firmware, this was not the case with the original firmware which severely attenuated the signal when OFF. To the OP, of course to use the RF passthru feature you probably need a TV with a digital tuner, that is if you want to watch a digital channel on your TV while recording a different digital channel on the iView.

I still only get one channel on the latest firmware with the box off and so does a friend of mine. We live in the same city so maybe it depends on frequencies. And that one channel is a channel we both get with no antenna connected at all.
post #2797 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Chazdole,

No harm done. I would just try it and see if it works with your version of hardware/firmware. On mine it loops thru the antenna signal, which is digital ATSC, as intended, and as your PALDVRs do. We don't know how many different versions of hardware are out there, so that's why I am posting my results.

My HW is: ATSC7816XD-01.
SW: 20131213 aV13
post #2798 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90

edit: a couple of posts while I was posting, IMO it's best to just use a quality RF splitter and avoid the RF passthru on the iView. True it requires a splitter and a  short RF cable and will attenuate the signal ~3.5db but at least you know it  will always work, I guess you could try the passthru first and if you had issues then go the splitter route.

Added the above to my post, sounds like from what others are saying I wouldn't count on the passthru to work, if it does good, if not you may need to go the splitter route :) These boxes are a wonder for their cost but they tend to be a bit "quirky"

post #2799 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Okay, not about the PVR aspect, but something a bit different: picture quality...

I just got the 3500stbII, and hooked it to my cable for clearQAM viewing. After some manual reading and button pushing, I scanned, skipped, and got it all set up- but the picture is terrible. I have horizontal lines slowly moving up the screen no matter what channel I am on. It seems that the output of the 3500stbII is faulty...

Anyone else encounter this issue? I'm afraid I may have received a bum unit...

post #2800 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Try another cable, try another input, try another TV. How about the component out?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2801 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 11:25 PM

The pass-thru not working well, wouldn't it be a hardware problem instead of a software problem? How would the software fix that? Can it be that the newer version of the box's pass-thru work better because of a design improvement or are all the version of the boxes have the same hardware design?

I originally bought a converter for $75 and it worked good, I could get some station that were 100 miles from where I live and they came in loud and clear, so a 3500STB at $50 with a DVR sounds like a great deal.

post #2802 of 3782 Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post

The pass-thru not working well, wouldn't it be a hardware problem instead of a software problem? How would the software fix that? Can it be that the newer version of the box's pass-thru work better because of a design improvement or are all the version of the boxes have the same hardware design?
I originally bought a converter for $75 and it worked good, I could get some station that were 100 miles from where I live and they came in loud and clear, so a 3500STB at $50 with a DVR sounds like a great deal.

People with both hardware versions have reported problems with it and at least jeff above had the problem with all previous firmware but not on the latest fw on the same hardware. A splitter is really not a bad solution. If you otherwise want the box, then buy it and try the passthrough and if it doesn't work in your case then buy a splitter. They're small enough to be easily unobtrusive and if you are just splitting the signal once, most people don't notice any difference. If you have a channel that goes in and out easily, you may be in the small percentage that would notice a difference - a signal has to be right on the cusp of not coming in for a 2 way splitter to weaken it enough to not being received.

If the other issues with the box don't put you off or aren't issues for your circumstances, then buy from someplace with an acceptable return policy (instead of just exchange policy) and you don't really have anything to lose except a bit of your time testing it out.
post #2803 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 AM

M. JPRC

Why do you say "if you otherwise want the box, buy it" is there another option? Do tell, 

I had a spliter before and there was one channel that I had problem with so I had to add a booster so I guess a spliter wouldn't hurt. 

post #2804 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post

M. JPRC

Why do you say "if you otherwise want the box, buy it" is there another option? Do tell, 
I had a spliter before and there was one channel that I had problem with so I had to add a booster so I guess a spliter wouldn't hurt. 

Not sure I understand your question. The other option would be to not buy it....
post #2805 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 AM

I thought that you were referring to other similar product.

The only place that I know, that sells it, has a lousy return policy. I once bought a web cam that didn't work and I returned it 30 minutes later and they wouldn't take back.

If I knew of another store that sells it, I would get it there.

post #2806 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Added the above to my post, sounds like from what others are saying I wouldn't count on the passthru to work, if it does good, if not you may need to go the splitter route smile.gif These boxes are a wonder for their cost but they tend to be a bit "quirky"

OK...where in the menu is this option to "loop" through (pass through). I never saw it and just looked today and I don't see anything for that feature so perhaps that is why I questioned this from my earlier post.
post #2807 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Try another cable, try another input, try another TV. How about the component out?

I've tried all the simple stuff for emf and rf interference, including cabling. Swapping the 3500 out for the cable company provided set top box clears it right up, using same TV, same RF output, same cabling. I don't have the option to use anything other than the RF out on either device. Moving the 3500 closer, further away, or in any other orientation makes absolutely no difference on the speed, behavior, or intensity of the lines- they are just there, and they are *very* annoying. I'm about 99.999% certain the device is defective in some manner, picking up it's own interference internally

Anyone else ever experience this issue? I need to know whether I should try a replacement unit or just return it for a refund.

Thanks

post #2808 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

OK since I could not find any menu items I just ditched the splitters and hooked my 2 IViews to the TVs via the RF out from the IView and I get HD TV when the IVIEW is off. When the IView is on there is NO pass through and reception is lost via RF.

However for my use that is OK.
post #2809 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK since I could not find any menu items I just ditched the splitters and hooked my 2 IViews to the TVs via the RF out from the IView and I get HD TV when the IVIEW is off. When the IView is on there is NO pass through and reception is lost via RF.

However for my use that is OK.

Third tab of the menu, labeled channel search, last item "modulation."
post #2810 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks jprc! I learned something new today! Never knew this existed!

I just updated both of my Iviews and they both pass through the HD signal via the RF out while either OFF or ON now.

I haven't checked for signal loss etc yet but it would appear that most of my channels are coming in fine.
post #2811 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks jprc! I learned something new today! Never knew this existed!

I just updated both of my Iviews and they both pass through the HD signal via the RF out while either OFF or ON now.

I haven't checked for signal loss etc yet but it would appear that most of my channels are coming in fine.

You're welcome. Apology accepted.

So that is 3 (3 people, 4 boxes) with "ideal circumstances with frequencies and reception." How many are needed for a "consensus?"
post #2812 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Chazdole,

I thanked JPRC as he pointed me to something specific that I needed to know. I thank you too for causing me to revisit this topic and see that there was another feature I was missing out on! I hope this makes you feel better!
post #2813 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 AM

It's all in fun. Glad you are getting more use out of your iview.
post #2814 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 149
ttoonz;
Just ask for an exchange.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2815 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Chazdole,

I get results similar to yours. I just purchased a 3500STB for my sister for her Christmas present and tried to set it up with the pass through (loop through) to her TV set's antenna in. It did not work. The unit came with the latest firmware that is posted on iView's support page (20130806_V3 I think, I am going by memory). The version of firmware you were using looked like it was probably newer (2013122 aV13) so I found a link to it in one of VideoBruce's original posts. That fixed the problem, mostly. I can now get the signal to pass through when the box is on, but when it is off it either severely attenuates the signal or scrambles it somehow so that the TV cannot decode it. One strange observation: when the iView is powering up or powering down it does the pass-through flawlessly, even if it won't pass through a signal when the unit is fully on.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
post #2816 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPaul View Post

Chazdole,

I get results similar to yours. I just purchased a 3500STB for my sister for her Christmas present and tried to set it up with the pass through (loop through) to her TV set's antenna in. It did not work. The unit came with the latest firmware that is posted on iView's support page (20130806_V3 I think, I am going by memory). The version of firmware you were using looked like it was probably newer (2013122 aV13) so I found a link to it in one of VideoBruce's original posts. That fixed the problem, mostly. I can now get the signal to pass through when the box is on, but when it is off it either severely attenuates the signal or scrambles it somehow so that the TV cannot decode it. One strange observation: when the iView is powering up or powering down it does the pass-through flawlessly, even if it won't pass through a signal when the unit is fully on.

That actually agrees with my experience and my friend's and a couple other posters on here experiencing the same thing, not chazdoles. There are obviously variables affecting whether this works or not. I maintain that anyone who has not bought it already, should not buy it expecting it to work properly. It may work properly but it just as well may not and if it doesn't there is nothing to do about it at present other than buying a splitter.
post #2817 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 PM

I suspect the issue is the quality or strength of the signal. If you have a strong signal, pass through may work with the iView off. If not, then when the iView is on and modulation is in Loop Through mode pass through works at least for the latest version of the firmware. The latest version of the firmware can be found in post #5 of this thread (V13a_122713.zip). Apparently some of the earlier versions of the firmware also worked, but the version currently posted at the iView support page does not.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
post #2818 of 3782 Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM

It would be handy if you guys could post your's and your "friend's" hardware versions. Then maybe we could pinpoint this problem to particular builds.
post #2819 of 3782 Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My Info and loop through is working great for me:

Model: iView -3500STB
SW Version: 20130806 V3
HW Version: ATSC7816XD -01
post #2820 of 3782 Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Mine works also:

Model: iView-3500STB
SW Version: 20131213 aV13
HW Version: ATSC7816XD -01

Two or three of my friends and a couple other people I heard about tell me theirs is working also, all night long. Don't have any SW or HW info at this time.

Hows about chiming in here with some specs jprc, PCPaul, jjeff?

Just to clarify, there is a loop through setting in the menu, third tab from left, under "Modulation." This should be set to "Loop Through."
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page