Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by John ODonnell View Post

Silly question...

Do the firmwares attached to post #5 apply only to the 3500STB or also the 3500STBII?

TIA,

John

Theoretically they apply to both, but people have had trouble running v6 (and possibly v3) on the II box, so you may want to avoid those if you have the "II" but it shouldn't harm anything to load it and try anyway if you should want. Nobody bricked their box by loading v6 - it just didn't work properly - but they had no trouble upgrading to a different version from there so it's nothing to worry about. There is a slightly differently remote layout from v6 on because of the combined pause/play button but all versions can be used with either remote as long as you are aware of the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3682 Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

If the courts take pity on us stubborn people who are tired of being screwed by Big Cable, Aereo will soon be our alternative...

ANYthing but Cable!
post #2883 of 3682 Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopundit View Post

If the courts take pity on us stubborn people who are tired of being screwed by Big Cable, Aereo will soon be our alternative...

On screens > 50", I do not see how Aereo quality holds a candle to OTA-HD

post #2884 of 3682 Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I would reduce that to probably 40" or less.
I can't believe so many think their Internet streaming is true HD. Of course when you are watching it on your surgically implanted idiot phone with tis; 4" screen, who cares. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2885 of 3682 Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopundit View Post

I actually hope not. At the moment people dumb enough to pay for cable are paying for my OTA habit. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif I'm concerned that the networks will follow through and pull content (sports, etc.) from OTA if Aereo wins (I doubt it though, that is that Aereo will win).

P.S. I should note that I do generate most of my income from the cable industry.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #2886 of 3682 Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Liked: 10
Newegg has the iView-3500STBII on sale for $34.99 with free shipping.

http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/N82E16882037002
post #2887 of 3682 Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 PM

I am new to this site but have recently acquired a 3500stbll.  Here are my questions: First, the manual says its program guide is a seven day series. I can only access one day. How does one access the guide a few days in the future? Sorry it was not obvious to me.  Also, is there any way to turn the 24 hour program indicator to a 12 hour AM PM indicator? Seems like the unit is working fine and I updated the hardware with the recent download V9.  Thanks for you help, in advance.

post #2888 of 3682 Old 01-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmitten View Post

I am new to this site but have recently acquired a 3500stbll.  Here are my questions: First, the manual says its program guide is a seven day series. I can only access one day. How does one access the guide a few days in the future? Sorry it was not obvious to me.  Also, is there any way to turn the 24 hour program indicator to a 12 hour AM PM indicator? Seems like the unit is working fine and I updated the hardware with the recent download V9.  Thanks for you help, in advance.

You can only get what program info each station sends, which is usually 12-24 hours. No, you cannot change the clock.
post #2889 of 3682 Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I'm in the NY Market and contacted about 8 stations and requested they change the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) that they send out with their broadcast stream. I actually had one station change their EPG from 1 day to 7 as a result of my request. So it does pay to communicate with your OTA stations. You never know what the response will be. I'm still working on the other 7 by the way. The problem seems to be getting to the station engineers who understand what EPG is. Other people will suggest where you can get the guide info online (2 of the 8 did this).
post #2890 of 3682 Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 AM

I just received a Stellar Labs DT-800 which seems to have the exact same menu as the iView 3500STB. Just wondering if anyone has tried updating the firmware on one of these with the iView firmware?

Stellar Labs is a brand of MCM Electronics. MCM was selling a Channel Master digital tuner which had serious failure rate issues. I have around 16 of them in a project and they have all had problems. Some of them were able to be repaired by replacing some capacitors. Then MCM began selling a digital TV tuner under their private label - Stellar Labs. The DT-1200 seems to be identical to the iView 3500STB and the DT-800 which is smaller and does not allow for recording. The DT-800 is perfect for most of my projects as I do not need to record.

I will try loading the iView firmware on the DT-800 later today and post what I find.
post #2891 of 3682 Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM

My other question is -- what is the antenna power referring to in the menu? I attempt to turn it on and it turns itself back off again.

post #2892 of 3682 Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It supplies power to a preamp if one is there. I don't believe anyone has tried using it. Leave it off.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2893 of 3682 Old 01-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoonz View Post

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I purchased it from Meritline.com. The unit was only $40 shipped, but it cost me another $10 to ship it back for a replacement unit. Hopefully the new one will work correctly, or it will get real expensive real fast...

Thanks

Well- the replacement 3500STB II arrived from Meritline yesterday. The same issue exists with the replacement as did with the first one I bought: horizontal line interference running slowly up the screen on the RF output. It doesn't happen on the rca video out, but the tv I bought this for only has RF input...

I have a Motorola box that I subbed in it's place, and the interference disappears, using all of the same cabling.

If I had to guess- the RF output circuit is either poorly shielded, or not shielded at all from the rest of the circuit on the PCB, and it's picking up it's own power supply interference...

Essentially- the RF output is totally useless, making the box totally useless for my needs.

Meritline made me pay to ship the first unit back, and I'm sure they'll make me pay for this one, too. That equals out to half of what I paid for this stupid thing...

Live and learn...

Bottom line- if you need the 3500STB's coax RF out- don't buy it...

post #2894 of 3682 Old 01-28-2014, 04:46 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

....... Bottom line- if you need the 3500STB's coax RF out- don't buy it...

Unless I missed it, seems like you are the only one with this issue? And 2 boxes with the same defect? Sounds like the issue is in your setup. Not that you have done anything wrong, but your equipment doesn't like the setup.

Could be marginal cables or other interference. Don't recall your setup details and what you have tried, it's been a while, but I would try it with different cables, no hard drive, further away from TV, etc.

If this were universal to all STBIIs I would think we would have others with the same issue, no?
videobruce likes this.
post #2895 of 3682 Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90

I'd also think others would have reported it but maybe very few are using the channel 3/4 output?? I know I'm not and have never tested it. I've seen with other devices what your are describing and it sure sounds like some kind of shielding issue. Note if you had(or purchased) a simple RF modulator(I see them all the time at pawn shops for <$5 used or can usually be purchased for <$20 new) you could use the iViews composite and convert it to channel 3/4. If you got a used one it wouldn't add to much to your costs, less than shipping charges for sure.

post #2896 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Unnecessary posts removed. Stick to the topic.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2897 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 AM

Liked: 12
Nope, jprc. It wasn't meant to put someone down. Even though you don't have enough of a clue to be able to realize it, it actually did make a real point.

And why do you give a crap, anyway? Are you the one I responded to originally? Uh, NO.
videobruce likes this.
post #2898 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 AM

Liked: 12
I did stick to the topic, AVS Don: someone was talking about a supposed "USB bus," and I just made the point that there's only the USB, not a "universal serial bus bus."
videobruce likes this.
post #2899 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ttoonz;
It's clearly a "RF" problem with your setup. A possible issue with whatever your TV is and this tuner. After all, a remodulated "RF" signal has always been poor. Additional precessing. wink.gif

post #2900 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'd also think others would have reported it but maybe very few are using the channel 3/4 output?? I know I'm not and have never tested it. I've seen with other devices what your are describing and it sure sounds like some kind of shielding issue. Note if you had(or purchased) a simple RF modulator(I see them all the time at pawn shops for <$5 used or can usually be purchased for <$20 new) you could use the iViews composite and convert it to channel 3/4. If you got a used one it wouldn't add to much to your costs, less than shipping charges for sure.

I've gone through all of the troubleshooting stuff, both on my own (the "idiot" check), and with iview. I've used different cables, different electrical outlets, moved it up, down, left, right, right side up, upside down, closer and farther from the television, etc. Absolutely nothing had any effect on the severity, speed, or directions of the lines moving up the screen. The RF output simply has noise in it, generated right inside of the box itself.

I can swap out a small little Motorola box and instantly, the issue is gone. Same cables, same outlets, everything.

Looking at the pictures of the inside of the unit on the first page of this thread- the RF output isn't shielded properly. A small "fence" exists, but other units I have seen have the entire RF I/O section boxed in- that's most likely the cause.

If I had to guess, not a lot of people are using the RF out. Anyone willing to try it? I've got two dud boxes so far, and I'm not interested in going for #3. Every time I send one back, it costs me $10 bucks...

I bought this specifically because it had an RF out; it's small footprint was also a consideration. Seems to me if the RF is worthless, it should just be removed from future revisions, or they should properly shield it in a future revision. Either way- it's not my setup causing this problem; it's a shortcoming of the design of the PCB layout, for sure.

I am exploring workarounds, but in all honesty- should I really have to? The device has an RF out on it- is it too much to ask that it work?

Edit: Just heard back from Meritline.com on my issue. They have *not* offered to pick up return shipping yet again, and in fact have not even offered to give me my money back- they offered me store credit only...needless to say, I can't recommend them or the 3500STBII's RF outs at this time...

post #2901 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm using RF out on both of my IViews with NO problem. Both in pass through and non pass through modes work fine for me.

So I agree with others that you have an issue with either your equipment or how you set it up.
post #2902 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 AM

I tried it on another tv just a few minutes ago. As soon as I turn it on, I get the same thing. I swap the Motorola box in it's place, and the lines disappear...

...It's the ivew box... maybe there is a bad production batch? Maybe Meritline sent me back the same one I returned? ...I didn't think to note the serial of the first box...

post #2903 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

While I agree it sounds like grounding or shielding may be the issue it doesn't sound like it effects everyone, maybe some TVs are not as sensitive as others?? Regardless with a product like the iView, of which I own 2, I personally have taken a kind of live with the quirks attitude due to the price. Sure I'd love it if everything worked the way it was supposed to but for $40 I personally am willing to overlook many things. Again if it were me I'd just pick up a cheap RF modulator(~$5 used, maybe $20 new) and live with it. It sounds like it's the iViews fault, since another device works on the OPs TV but again how much is it worth trying to fix a $40 box, I'd just chose to work around it. Of course if the OP doesn't want to thats understandable too, it's his choice.

I guess I would have done exactly what he did in the first place(especially since no one else had reported this issue) but now thats it's a known I think it's either return it and get a better more expensive box or just work around it which to me seems the easiest and possibly the cheapest solution.

OT rant:

I had a similar thing happen with a recent electronic purchase, a component-to-S-video converter. It was advertised as having "free" shipping($100 for product) so I ordered it. The product was defective, picture quality looked like crap. I was told my return shipping to them(BZB out of CA) would be on my dime, I wasn't too happy but I shelled out the $6 to mail it back to them. They received it and mailed me a replacement, which was also bad :mad: This one I'm quite sure had a bad solder joint as when I would wiggle the component input jack the picture would cut in and out. When it worked it looked fine but it would intermittently cut out. I contemplated taking it apart and fixing the possible bad solder joint but it had 2 tamper proof stickers that would have been impossible to remove without destroying them and if it wasn't what I thought it was they may have refused to accept it back. Having been twice burned I decided to just return the second box and not take a replacement and do without the box. Well it cost me another $6 to send the second bad one back($12 total) and to make matters worse they want to charge me $13 shipping since I didn't actually buy anything from them. They are saying shipping was free for orders but because I returned the items it was no longer free :mad::mad: I'm currently contemplating a complaint with the BBB as well as refusing to pay my Visa  charge but like the OP mail order isn't always what it's cracked up to be :( 

I agree, for anyone interested in this box who plans on using the modulated RF output they should be made aware that they may very well run into issues, I'll point it out for sure.

post #2904 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Looking at the pictures of the inside of the unit on the first page of this thread- the RF output isn't shielded properly. A small "fence" exists, but other units I have seen have the entire RF I/O section boxed in- that's most likely the cause.

First off, sorry you are having problems with your iview. It sucks when something we buy doesn't work the way we had hoped/the way it should.

From that post on page one of this thread, the last line before the first picture:

"Note, the last photo, the top shield for the tuner was removed for the photo."

I'm in the club that uses my 3500STB (original, not II version) on ch3 RF out with no issues. And I can verify the shield is in place.

Hopefully some of the STBII users can test this out on RF analog and report back?

And yes, that wire going out of the back of my unit is a USB dongle. Pulled the connector from the board and used a cable/connector I had laying around. I found that an internal CD audio wire connector, the white one, is a perfect match. Presto, rear USB. Created small notch for wire to go thru rear. Too lazy to mount jack at rear, that would involve cutting a slot and drilling 2 holes. There is another jack the same size/type on the board, but it didn't power my USB drive. Not sure what it is for.

videobruce likes this.
post #2905 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

From that post on page one of this thread, the last line before the first picture:

"Note, the last photo, the top shield for the tuner was removed for the photo."

I'm in the club that uses my 3500STB (original, not II version) on ch3 RF out with no issues. And I can verify the shield is in place.

...I stand corrected on the shield. I looked with a flashlight into the top of the unit, and it is indeed capped with a piece of tin or aluminum. It's not helping, though. The odd thing about the noise on the RF- it is constant and unchanging. Changing cables does absolutely nothing. Moving the box anywhere, or in any orientation does absolutely nothing. Plugging the device into a different electrical circuit does absolutely nothing. Different TV- still there... No matter what I do, it is there, it is at an absolute constant strength and speed. I'm 100% convinced that the noise is being generated and introduced into the RF output inside of the box...I truly wish it weren't so, but it is what it is. The fact that I can sub the little Motorola box with the same cabling and have no noise whatsoever says a lot...
post #2906 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I'm 100% convinced that the noise is being generated and introduced into the RF output inside of the box...I truly wish it weren't so, but it is what it is. The fact that I can sub the little Motorola box with the same cabling and have no noise whatsoever says a lot...

The older I get, the less I am 100% sure of anything. Swapping the Motorola box might just say that it has better shielding, filtering, or is otherwise more tolerant of noise, not necessarily that the iview is generating the noise. Beyond a reasonable doubt has become my criteria when troubleshooting odd electronic issues and condemning a component.

Try unplugging your antenna and disconnect the hard drive from the iview and go into the menu. Still have the noise? Move the iview into another room and run a long coax to the tv, or use another tv. Run the coax thru another box, after the iview, like your Motorola box (prob not possible?) or old vcr. (anybody still have those?) Lots of things to try before condemning the iview. I have an AM radio that has buzzing interference, but only in one room. I tried to locate the source of the noise unsuccessfully. So, I can't use the radio in that room. Sux, but such is life.

I still think the noise is coming from somewhere else besides the iview. But I am not 100% sure. Good luck in tracing down the issue. Don't give up yet. At any rate, let us know the final result of your efforts. If it is the STBII, which I am not convinced, people need to be warned.

On edit: Do you have a powered antenna by any chance? Have you tried a different antenna?
post #2907 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got back from my local Pawn America pawn shop, sure enough saw several RF modulators(composite in RF channel 3/4 out) starting at $2.99 :D just sayin'.....as mentioned a old VCR would also probably work but that might be kind of Rube Goldberg and might not pass the WF ;)

post #2908 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried it on another tv just a few minutes ago. As soon as I turn it on, I get the same thing. I swap the Motorola box in it's place, and the lines disappear...

...It's the ivew box... maybe there is a bad production batch? Maybe Meritline sent me back the same one I returned? ...I didn't think to note the serial of the first box...

Have you tried different cables from the IView to the TV? Are you using Rg6, 58? 59? It could be a problem with the cable or the connectors?
post #2909 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 AM

I've read most of this thread in several segments over the past year or 2 and am finally ready to buy something. But, it's not clear to me which version of this box is considered the "best". I don't mind spending a few more bucks to get a much better remote and/or firmware. Is the Homeworx box the best option?
post #2910 of 3682 Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 AM

Seems like the Homeworx box is a bit more stable, but there also are less firmware choices=less options with that unit. Both have issues, but there is nothing (to my knowledge) out there that can touch either box for bang for the buck. I would read both threads and buy the one that best fits your needs.

Or, you could do what I did, and buy one (or more) of each! If you wait for sales on Amazon or Newegg, you could get one for $33 shipped! Or, buy the iview, buy the Homeworx remote, (not necessary if you have a Harmony remote) and you could have either via firmware flash. Be advised some functions are not working on different firmware versions. Buyer beware.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page