iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #2881 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoonz View Post

I tried it on another tv just a few minutes ago. As soon as I turn it on, I get the same thing. I swap the Motorola box in it's place, and the lines disappear...

...It's the ivew box... maybe there is a bad production batch? Maybe Meritline sent me back the same one I returned? ...I didn't think to note the serial of the first box...

Have you tried different cables from the IView to the TV? Are you using Rg6, 58? 59? It could be a problem with the cable or the connectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read most of this thread in several segments over the past year or 2 and am finally ready to buy something. But, it's not clear to me which version of this box is considered the "best". I don't mind spending a few more bucks to get a much better remote and/or firmware. Is the Homeworx box the best option?
post #2883 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Have you tried different cables from the IView to the TV? Are you using Rg6, 58? 59? It could be a problem with the cable or the connectors?

Tried it with several different cables, tried it in 3 different rooms with 3 different TV's, tried it on the same electrical circuit, tried it on different electrical circuits...

I can plug just the box into the TV with just one short piece of coax, and it still has noise on the RF out, with absolutely nothing else plugged into it- nothing on the input, no drive in the usb, nada...

I can repeat the above on all 3 TV's in 3 different rooms, using any piece of coax.

Moving the box anywhere, or in any orientation does not change the speed or intensity of the horizontal lines moving up the screen. It is exactly the same in every room, on every TV, using any coax...

I can sub the little Motorola box in the same fashion, on any of the TV's, using any piece of coax, and the picture on the RF out is perfect.

...It's the RF on the ivew.

post #2884 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 115
ttoonz, does the place you purchased from have the original 3500 or the homeworx that you could try? Will they only give you store credit if you pay for the return? I wouldn't try another II box either in your circumstances if you have to keep paying fees to exchange. Maybe you can try selling your iview locally on someplace like craigsllist so that you won't have to pay shipping fees anywhere and then use that money to buy one of the similar (but the not same) boxes. I don't have a problem using the RF out on my original 3500 but don't have a 3500II.
post #2885 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

ttoonz, does the place you purchased from have the original 3500 or the homeworx that you could try? Will they only give you store credit if you pay for the return? I wouldn't try another II box either in your circumstances if you have to keep paying fees to exchange. Maybe you can try selling your iview locally on someplace like craigsllist so that you won't have to pay shipping fees anywhere and then use that money to buy one of the similar (but the not same) boxes. I don't have a problem using the RF out on my original 3500 but don't have a 3500II.

I purchased it brand new online from meritline.com

They don't pick up return shipping, even on defective items.

They didn't offer a refund after the second defective unit; only "store credit"

Needless to say, I can't recommend them, and won't be doing business with them again.

I am very wary to list this box on Craigslist or eBay, as it has an issue, and I don't want to spread the grief around...

Overall, this has been a very frustrating experience. I guess for $40 dollars, you can't expect miracles- but the selling point for this item was that it had RF out, making it compatible with older televisions. If the RF doesnt' work, in my opinion, that makes the box worthless, all other features aside...

post #2886 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoonz View Post

I purchased it brand new online from meritline.com

They don't pick up return shipping, even on defective items.

They didn't offer a refund after the second defective unit; only "store credit"

Needless to say, I can't recommend them, and won't be doing business with them again.

I am very wary to list this box on Craigslist or eBay, as it has an issue, and I don't want to spread the grief around...

Overall, this has been a very frustrating experience. I guess for $40 dollars, you can't expect miracles- but the selling point for this item was that it had RF out, making it compatible with older televisions. If the RF doesnt' work, in my opinion, that makes the box worthless, all other features aside...

Try contacting iView directly and see if they will do anything for you. They may not (or they may require you to pay something too) but it won't hurt to ask anyway.
post #2887 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 PM

2 different brand new rg6; one perfect but older rg59. No high voltage lines anywhere near here, no cell towers. No ground loops- I am well versed in that area.

On- and no slip-ons. Nice, clean, tight connections on good coax.

The electric in my house is up to code perfect.

With no antenna or cable connected to the unit at all- just sitting there, bare naked- I can put any coax you'd like between the iveiw box and the tv, and get noise.

Do the same thing with the little Motorola box, and it works perfect.

...it's the box.

post #2888 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Try contacting iView directly and see if they will do anything for you. They may not (or they may require you to pay something too) but it won't hurt to ask anyway.

I contacted them as soon as the 2nd box came and demonstrated the identical issue. They have not responded...

post #2889 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

Seems like the Homeworx box is a bit more stable, but there also are less firmware choices=less options with that unit. Both have issues, but there is nothing (to my knowledge) out there that can touch either box for bang for the buck. I would read both threads and buy the one that best fits your needs.

Or, you could do what I did, and buy one (or more) of each! If you wait for sales on Amazon or Newegg, you could get one for $33 shipped! Or, buy the iview, buy the Homeworx remote, (not necessary if you have a Harmony remote) and you could have either via firmware flash. Be advised some functions are not working on different firmware versions. Buyer beware.

After using both boxes ... iview 3500ii with v13 firmware and pvr-150 with v1 firmware I've seen absolutely no evidence that the homework Is any more reliable than the iview.

If anything I actually prefer the iview as the remote is better and has direct buttons for pvr, schedule and you get the translucent menus !!

For me both boxes didn't work out for clearQAM cable but that's my cable provide not so much these boxes. I got my iview for $30 and use it with a 64gb USB thumb drive and OTA. Absolutely bargain. To think what I had paid for my tivo a couple of years earlier
post #2890 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone from iview is listening -- please -- please give me away to tell your hardware to stop deciding that some of of my QAM video channels are 'music'. Or change however it is that you are incorrectly making that decision. Or at least give me a way to tell your hardware after a scan that they really are video channels.

My LG tv has no problem scanning, finding and tuning them as video. My SiliconDust hdhomerun tuners have no problem scanning, finding and tuning them as video.

I simply cannot understand why this hardware decides that 112.1 -- my most-local NBC affiliate out of Philadelphia -- is a 'music' channel. It has no problem with 90+ other QAM channels. It has no problem with the most local ABC and CBS video channels.

If I scan 112 manually, I get five circles of 'light blue' -- the same near max strength as all the other channels which do work -- yet all it finds in 112 are three 'music' channels -- and taunts me by playing the audio without the video which I know is there.

Please -- just give me a switch to tell it NOT to try to second guess what the content actually is.

I have seen this complaint from the beginning of this thread -- is there really nobody who understands this problem?

[rant off]
post #2891 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 815
The iView developers don't really care if QAM works, since the box was designed for OTA. The Homeworx developers dropped QAM support completely in the public firmware just so that they would stop getting complaints about QAM not working correctly. I'm afraid you're fighting an uphill battle to get anyone to help with QAM (and both iView and Homeworx seem to have ceased releasing updates of any kind at this point, regardless of whether you use OTA or cable).
post #2892 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

Rumor has it that clear QAM will be going away completely in the not too distant future.. Not sure which thread, but many were reporting a company, Comcast maybe, that is slowly eliminating unencrypted QAM, nationwide.

The whole thing is kind of a mess right now, but slowly getting better, what with some TVs not formatting properly when tuned to a 4:3 station vs a 16:9 one. At least these boxes do that well, with the "Pillar box" or whatever setting. When using my Magnavox DVR, I have to manually set my TV to either 4:3 or "Full" depending on the channel to avoid a stretched image. I'm sure some TVs handle this better than others?

This is correct. At the start of this year, the laws were changed so that cable providers no longer have to provide unencrypted channels. Most of the large cable providers have already started scrambling channels. It is unlikely that small companies will scramble them just because its more work. But I doubt there will be many places with QAM channels by the end of this year.

EDIT: Here is a link to the FCC ruling. Take a look at the introduction paragraph: http://www.fcc.gov/document/commission-relaxes-cable-encryption-prohibition
post #2893 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM

Hi,
I just purchased one of these units from Newegg. It will not scan any QAM channels but does scans ATSC fine. When I attempt to upgrade the firmware, I choose the one I downloaded to my flash drive, clicked OK and it reboots the unit. I don't get the progress bar as shown in post #5 of this thread, and the version number on the information screen does not change. What am I missing? The USB drive is FAT32. The version I have now says 20130918 V9. The Harddware Version is ATSC7816XD-01.

Thanks.
post #2894 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdb27 View Post

Hi,
I just purchased one of these units from Newegg. It will not scan any QAM channels but does scans ATSC fine. When I attempt to upgrade the firmware, I choose the one I downloaded to my flash drive, clicked OK and it reboots the unit. I don't get the progress bar as shown in post #5 of this thread, and the version number on the information screen does not change. What am I missing? The USB drive is FAT32. The version I have now says 20130918 V9. The Harddware Version is ATSC7816XD-01.

Thanks.

What file did you download? Make sure there are no spaces in the filename. Make sure it is an unzipped bin file but not a flash.bin file (meaning that should not be the full name "flash.bin"). Make sure the file downloaded fully - try downloading it again if you are not sure. If all that is correct, some people have had to try a different flash drive - for some reason some drives don't work.
post #2895 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:

What file did you download? Make sure there are no spaces in the filename. Make sure it is an unzipped bin file but not a flash.bin file (meaning that should not be the full name "flash.bin"). Make sure the file downloaded fully - try downloading it again if you are not sure. If all that is correct, some people have had to try a different flash drive - for some reason some drives don't work.

No spaces. These are the ones I tried. The first one was from the iView web site.
usb_upgrade_all_flashV9.bin
091813_V9_QAM_virtual.bin
120113_V12_physical.bin
V13a_122713.bin

None of them seemed to install (no progress bar screen and the version number installed didn't change).
post #2896 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No spaces. These are the ones I tried. The first one was from the iView web site.
120113_V12_physical.bin
V13a_122713.bin

None of them seemed to install (no progress bar screen and the version number installed didn't change).

The first two you have listed are the same version you already have, so nothing would change if you loaded those. But since the last two didn't work either, I would try a different flash drive.
post #2897 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:

120113_V12_physical.bin
V13a_122713.bin

So, I tried another flash drive and the upgrade worked. Strangely, this one, according to Windows, was formatted as FAT(16). Everything I have read says the USB drive must be formatted as FAT32. Oh well. The upgrade succeeded and it is now scanning in my QAM channels.

Thanks jprc, for the suggestion.
post #2898 of 4258 Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, I tried another flash drive and the upgrade worked. Strangely, this one, according to Windows, was formatted as FAT(16). Everything I have read says the USB drive must be formatted as FAT32. Oh well. The upgrade succeeded and it is now scanning in my QAM channels.

Thanks jprc, for the suggestion.

Cool. Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for which flash drives work according to the people who have had trouble with theirs - different sizes, ages, speeds, brands, etc. Glad you found one that worked.
post #2899 of 4258 Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 PM

I have just installed a 3500STBII with USB_upgrade_all_flashV9.bin firmware. Connecting to Cablevision, a New York area cable provider, I receive channels 2,4,5,7,9,11,13 and 21 with some additional channels such as 11-2 and 11-3. I would like to receive the full compliment of channels that I pay Cablevision to deliver to me. Is that possible with this unit?
post #2900 of 4258 Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsweet View Post

I have just installed a 3500STBII with USB_upgrade_all_flashV9.bin firmware. Connecting to Cablevision, a New York area cable provider, I receive channels 2,4,5,7,9,11,13 and 21 with some additional channels such as 11-2 and 11-3. I would like to receive the full compliment of channels that I pay Cablevision to deliver to me. Is that possible with this unit?

You cannot receive any encrypted channels nor any analog channels - only clear QAM. You can try version 13 to see if you get anymore channels but you will still not be able to get anything but clear QAM.
post #2901 of 4258 Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

The simple answer is no. You will need a DVR (or HTPC) that supports CableCard.

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #2902 of 4258 Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM

If I do a manual scan looking for a local channel, will that override what has been established with the automatic scan?
post #2903 of 4258 Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I do a manual scan looking for a local channel, will that override what has been established with the automatic scan?

No (if by override you mean erase). But an auto scan will erase previously saved channels.
post #2904 of 4258 Old 02-01-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Ok. Since it is "raw" it is a unprocessed signal that can't be altered. Now that makes sense.
I have the pdf version from their site. I never even bothered looking at the leaflet that was in the box. rolleyes.gif

I updated posts 3 & 4.

Need a link for the PDF please. I've looked all over their site and haven't been able to find it. Disregard, I found it! Appears they don't have a separate one or the 3500II?

post #2905 of 4258 Old 02-01-2014, 10:45 AM

I've run a channel search using my TV tuner and found quite a few digital channels. I use the New York City area Cablevision service. Most of these are of no interest but a few are. I tried using the manual search on one of them but it didn't seem to work. I'm using a 3500STBII with USB_upgrade_all_flashV9.bin firmware. Is there some way that I can detect these channels?
post #2906 of 4258 Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

I've run a channel search using my TV tuner and found quite a few digital channels. I use the New York City area Cablevision service. Most of these are of no interest but a few are. I tried using the manual search on one of them but it didn't seem to work. I'm using a 3500STBII with USB_upgrade_all_flashV9.bin firmware. Is there some way that I can detect these channels?

If you have cablevision then you have a Cablevision box that feeds your TV an unscrambled signal unless you are trying to steal service. Therefore you should get a Cablevision DVR to do your recordings. The IView will only work with unscrambled signals. You should have read the fine print or this forum before you bought one.
post #2907 of 4258 Old 02-02-2014, 01:59 PM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

I've run a channel search using my TV tuner and found quite a few digital channels.

Did you run the channel scan with your TV connected directly to the Cablevision coax... no box connected?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #2908 of 4258 Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm on Cablevision, too, on the Branchville, NJ system. You should be able to get most of the channels in the Broadcast Basic tier. Using firmware 111813_V9_ QAM_virtual.zip in post 5, I was getting around 22 channels. I have since switched to using V13a_122713.zip, and I'm getting pretty much the whole Broadcast Basic lineup. I can't seem to locate CBS HD, but I get the SD version of it. It was rather a pain in the neck, though. I did an auto scan and then had to manually skip all of the encrypted channels. There were over 400 of them if I recall. Then I moved them into their proper order, edited their names, and saved the results. If you choose to go this route it's going to take some time, so be forewarned. Further, Cablevision likes to shuffle their lineup. Especially when they have added new channels to one of the other tiers, or for whatever reason. When this happens some of your saved channels may disappear, and you'll have to rescan, reorder, and reedit. You'll have to decide whether or not it is worth the effort.

Before anybody accuses me of being a thief, let me state right now, I am a Broadcast Basic subscriber who can't justify paying through the nose for so-called premium channels, and then on top of that, rent their equipment. Unfortunately, I am in an RF black hole as far as terrestrial television propagation is concerned, or I would cut the cord completely in a heartbeat.
post #2909 of 4258 Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 PM

I am merely attempting to view with the iVIEW what I am already able to view with the TV tuner directly connected to the cable. Cablevision has changed the set top box user interface so that the box can no longer be programmed. By doing this, a user's existing DVR can no longer select a channel to be recorded. It was so considerate of Cablevision to obsolete my equipment and then offer me the opportunity of renting theirs.
post #2910 of 4258 Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the response. It would seem that the manual selection would be an easier route but I was unable to get that ot work. I may have been making some mistake. Where is the V13 firmware to be found? When I went to the iVIEW website all I found was V7 and V9. When I installed V7 the process took so long thta I had to terminate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders