COMCAST ANY ROOM DVR – how much storage does the DCX3400M have? - AVS Forum
HDTV Recorders > COMCAST ANY ROOM DVR – how much storage does the DCX3400M have?
alexcomp's Avatar alexcomp 01:58 PM 04-05-2013
My two year cycle ran out and I got a whopping big bill with the reversion to standard price so I called Comcast and they talked me into a new bundle using the any room DVR with three additional boxes.

I like the idea of being able to see recorded programs on any box however I am replacing two freestanding HD DVRs, each having 500 GB. I worry that with only half as much storage I will run tight all the time. My wife records several home and garden TV shows and they can stack up and use the storage.

I seem to recall that one of the DVR devices I have had over the years was theoretically capable of having additional storage. Perhaps this was a DirecTV device. So my question is, "is there any possibility of plugging up an additional Sata drive with a terabyte or so"?

Finally, it seems that I investigated the any room concept at one point in time and there was a technological issue that stopped me from implementation but for the life of me I can not remember. What are the downsides to the any room concept as compared to my current installation which has two freestanding HD DVR's plus an additional non-recording set top box? (Plus I have a fourth TV set up to repeat from one of the DVR's using a radio remote transmitter for control – pretty slick).

I swear that there is something that backed me off when I looked at the any room concept before although, to be honest, it may have been DirecTV but actually it might have been Comcast. There's something that happens here but my senility must be kicking in his I cannot remember.

I wonder if it might have to do with inflexibility among the various TVs? For instance, if the main DVR is recording two shows and a watcher is looking at a recorded show, what capability does a viewer on a remote/slave box have? Can they watch a program off the cable?

Sonyad's Avatar Sonyad 08:36 PM 04-05-2013
I know the Cisco RNG 200 works with the 1TB dvr expander drive.
Up
Mobile  Desktop