Backup recordings from DirecTV genie to external drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone point me to a tutorial or give me some advice as to how to copy or backup programs that I have saved on the internal hard drive.
I have all of the UL Cardinal basketball games of this season stored on my genie and would like to back them up to an external drive so that I can free up space on my genie. Is this even possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Sorry It can't be done
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh. That's a major disappointment.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Can't be done the way you stated the problem, but certainly can be done other ways.

- Realtime playback to DVD or blu-ray recorder
- Realtime playback to video capture device on a computer

Back when I had DirecTV, I would typically pop in a blank DVD, start playback, go to bed, and my disc is done the next morning. I backed up hundreds of recordings that way. If you're so inclined, you could then rip the DVD and store on your PC for remote viewing DLNA or some other means. I rarely bothered doing that. But if you do, you could even reuse the same DVD-RW over and over.

I think DVD is usually sufficient even for HD. Making and SD DVD from an HD source results in PQ on par with commercial DVDs. All my backups look very good.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Can't be done the way you stated the problem, but certainly can be done other ways.

- Realtime playback to DVD or blu-ray recorder
- Realtime playback to video capture device on a computer

Back when I had DirecTV, I would typically pop in a blank DVD, start playback, go to bed, and my disc is done the next morning. I backed up hundreds of recordings that way. If you're so inclined, you could then rip the DVD and store on your PC for remote viewing DLNA or some other means. I rarely bothered doing that. But if you do, you could even reuse the same DVD-RW over and over.

I think DVD is usually sufficient even for HD. Making and SD DVD from an HD source results in PQ on par with commercial DVDs. All my backups look very good.

OK . This is great! Any suggestions on a video capture device or dvd-r. My ultimate goal would be to save each program in a container that I could play back via my boxee box. Even better would be a file that I could edit in a video editing program to cut out the commercials.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
The PC option is the way to go then. Check out Black Magic.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

This is what I am doing for now and I'm getting pretty good results.

I purchased a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 1512 and connected it to the Directv Genie with the included component video cable and adapter and analog stereo cables. The Hauppauge is one of the few devices that I could find that will capture HD. Using the included ArcSoft Showbiz software I am capturing the programs that I have previously recorded and saved on the Genie as I play them back in real time. I am saving them as .mp4 files which I then run through VideoReDo to cut out the commercials. VideoReDo has an 'Ad-Detector' that automatically scans for and cuts out commercial breaks. After editing, I can play my files with my BoxeeBox. The quality seems excellent so far. Pretty happy overall. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ash View Post
This is what I am doing for now and I'm getting pretty good results.<br><br>
I purchased a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 1512 and connected it to the Directv Genie with the included component video cable and adapter and analog stereo cables. The Hauppauge is one of the few devices that I could find that will capture HD. Using the included ArcSoft Showbiz software I am capturing the programs that I have previously recorded and saved on the Genie as I play them back in real time. I am saving them as .mp4 files which I then run through VideoReDo to cut out the commercials. VideoReDo has an 'Ad-Detector' that automatically scans for and cuts out commercial breaks. After editing, I can play my files with my BoxeeBox. The quality seems excellent so far. Pretty happy overall. Thanks for all the help.
Would this method of using the Hauppauge 1512 also work to save 3D movies from the Genie DVR?