Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The WD My Book DVR Expander promises an easy way to add capacity to a TiVo, MOXI and other devices without much effort, but for me it's been a major disappointment.

Three of them, purchased within the past year brand-new, failed when used with TiVo and MOXI within a relatively short time for no apparent reason. If anyone can use them for parts or just to experiment with, send me a PM. All three are in excellent condition, complete with OBs, all cables, power supplies, and paper.

I can't sell them as working but maybe you'll have better luck. All three for $15 (at most, $20) shipping!

My Book AV DVR Expander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

The WD My Book DVR Expander promises an easy way to add capacity to a TiVo, MOXI and other devices without much effort, but for me it's been a major disappointment.

Three of them, purchased within the past year brand-new, failed when used with TiVo and MOXI within a relatively short time for no apparent reason. If anyone can use them for parts or just to experiment with, send me a PM. All three are in excellent condition, complete with OBs, all cables, power supplies, and paper.

I can't sell them as working but maybe you'll have better luck. All three for $15 (at most, $20) shipping!

My Book AV DVR Expander

Same experience on my TiVo. I'm saving it for parts. I decided to use a WD FreeAgent USB off a PC. No issues after a year. Good luck.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 154
That's why I stressed in the VRX thread not to buy one of these 'packaged', external enclosed drives. wink.gif
Especially those since I have read many reports of failures. Actually, HDD failures are increasing in the past few years. I received one as part od a package with a used TiVo. I immediately opened it up (after searching on how do do so) and removed the drive, then tossed the cheesy plastic enclosure. I did save the SATA to USB interface board for some future unknown use.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

Three of them, purchased within the past year brand-new, failed when used with TiVo and MOXI within a relatively short time for no apparent reason.
Interesting. I bought a WD DVR expander the same day I bought my TiVo because I didn't want to open it up to enlarge the internal HDD and void the warranty. From the complaints of others at the time, I figured it would die soon after a year had passed; the TiVo would be out of warranty and I could upgrade the internal HDD -- that was over 4 yr ago. The WD Expander sits on its side in a well-ventilated open air rack so that it is barely warm to the touch. Perhaps that has something to do with its longevity.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 5 Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

Three of them, purchased within the past year brand-new, failed when used with TiVo and MOXI within a relatively short time for no apparent reason.

Interesting. I bought a WD DVR expander the same day I bought my TiVo because I didn't want to open it up to enlarge the internal HDD and void the warranty. From the complaints of others at the time, I figured it would die soon after a year had passed; the TiVo would be out of warranty and I could upgrade the internal HDD -- that was over 4 yr ago. The WD Expander sits on its side in a well-ventilated open air rack so that it is barely warm to the touch. Perhaps that has something to do with its longevity.

FWIW;

One expander I bought is still working, mounted vertically, with an S3 and has never caused a problem.

The second was originally connected to another S3. I disconnected that S3 after a few weeks without problems. Like the first, that expander was mounted vertically with air free to circulate around it.

I then connected a 3rd expander to a TiVo HD which I'd set up to test its OTA tuner. The expander was mounted vertically in the same location as when the 2nd was connected to the 2nd S3.

I also moved the 2nd expander, mounted it vertically in a location where air could circulate around it and connected it to a MOXI. Within a month the MOXI failed.

I connected a 4th expander, laid on its side, to another S3. After a few weeks the S3 began spontaneously to lose its connection with the expander. I got it back OK, but it dropped the connection again after about 3 hours. I got it back again, but only for another 3 hrs.

I contacted TiVo support and they emailed me detailed instructions how to enable TiVo's Kickstart HDD analysis program. I could not get Kickstart to initialize after following the detailed instructions repeatedly. I then disconnected the 3rd expander from the HD and swapped its eSata cable with the one from the 4th expander and repeatedly attempted to get a connection from theS3 to the 4th expander without success. It would neither connect nor initialize Kickstart.

After spending way too much time on this nonsense I opted for the only thing still left to try and succeeded in getting the S3 to disconnect from the 4th expander. As soon as it did the S3 operated normally and still is.

Perhaps in my location a vertical mounting works better than horizontal but who really knows? I can't prove it of course but because of everything that happened I suspect that the 2nd expander had something to do with the MOXI's failure.

I was suspicious at first when learning that Weaknees advised against using WD external HDDs but now believe that there's more to their advice than merely promoting sales of their own pre-formatted HDDs.

The HDD fallibility issue, ultimately affecting all HDDs will, IMHO, within 10/15 years result in all DVR (as well as other) designs relying on spinning discs to become as obsolete as VCRs.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page