DVR to file? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I need to take HD video from my DVR and get into a compressed video file on my laptop that I can edit. What is the easiest way to do that? I have a firewire port on my macbook, and a mini-dvi but no hdmi (although I have ordered a converter).

While it is a macbook, I am using windows 7 on it via bootcamp (because the software I'm using only works on windows).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Only SOME DVR's on SOME Cable Systems record via (SOMETIMES WORKING) IEEE-1394 Interface to either PC or MAC and SOMETIMES both....but the cable companies don't make it easy and even when you stumble onto a combination that works, it probably will need frequent reboots to keep it working. Good luck recording (try both Live & Time Shifted) and editing a file protected with COPY FREELY/ONCE/NEVER Flags:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/689665/howto-record-via-1394-firewire-to-apple-mac
http://www.avsforum.com/t/386740/how-to-macos-x-firewire-hdtv-recording
http://www.avsforum.com/t/269141/apple-firewire-news-soon-more-av-c-support
http://www.avsforum.com/t/403695/how-to-record-via-ieee-1394-firewire-to-windows-xp
http://www.avsforum.com/t/593271/recording-to-pc-from-a-sa-8300hd-via-firewire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #3 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, how do most people who put youtube clips of TV shows do it? I see people do it all the time, I assume there's got to be an easy way to do it.

Here's what I need it for. I have a website where I breakdown certain college football games and analyze their gameplans. In order to put it into the game film software I need the tv broadcast on my computer in a standard video file (these games are 4 hours long so it will need to be compressed).

What would you recommend I do?
post #4 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
You will need a video capture device like a Hauppauge 1512 that will take the analog output of your DVR (component for HD) and encode it into a digital stream and send it to your PC via USB. Most will encode to H.264 and this is a real-time process. There are many threads here for capturing from a DVR.

Alternatively, if you can settle for SD you can buy a Magnavox DVD recorder. This is an analog capture device but only for the SD composite or S-Video outputs from your DVR. It will capture to its internal HDD where you can edit and burn to DVD. It's a relatively cheap way to go if you are not picky about quality -- lots of discussion recently about crushed blacks.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, as I look into it SD would be better than HD (go figure) since the game film software is struggling with HD.

So, if I could unplug where the DVR goes to the TV and plug it into the computer instead (like the DVD recorder you mentioned) that would be great. Except, I need it into the computer where it is saved as either an avi or a wmv. It does me no good to go to DVD.

What do I need to get in order to do this? Obviously there's no place to plug into my PC instead of the TV.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Then look into the Hauppauge 1512. You would use the composite or S-Video output from your DVR to send it an SD feed and go from there. The editing software should let you save it in any of the popular formats.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 12 Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Also, if you are using cable for your TV provider (and not satellite) you could think about getting a tuner card for your computer so you can just record all future games directly to your computer, so you don't have to go to the extra step of transferring them from your DVR to your computer.

I hope you have permission from the colleges and channels you are doing this for, otherwise you are flirting with copywright infringement posting game photage online like this.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 03:01 AM

Liked: 12
Depending on your needs the $45 iView-3500STB might work. It would make what you want to do easy since you could save your recordings on a thumb drive.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Don't try using flash drives in a DVR. Many of them are too slow, and NAND memory isn't designed for frequent write operations, anyway. Even if it works, you'll wear out the drive quickly. A USB HDD would be better.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I looked at the hippo PVR 2 and amazon reviews said the compression wasn't great and there were problems with the encoding. Is this the best pass-thru PC recorder?
post #11 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodleehoo View Post

I looked at the hippo PVR 2 and amazon reviews said the compression wasn't great and there were problems with the encoding. Is this the best pass-thru PC recorder?

I'm agree with Kelson and with Beerstalker. Is that, or you will need to buy a TiVo (DVR) with LifeTime, which let you to send your games (without CP Flags) directly to PC/MAC...
post #12 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

I'm agree with Kelson and with Beerstalker. Is that, or you will need to buy a TiVo (DVR) with LifeTime, which let you to send your games (without CP Flags) directly to PC/MAC...

A TiVo won't work for recording from a video game console. The Hauppauge! PC DVR is one of a very short list of options that will work for that application. I think the BlackMagic Intensity board will work as well, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It uses HDMI only, as I understand it, so if HDCP gets turned on for any reason you're boned. But I think the OP's situation doesn't involve games, though if the video can't be re-acquired with the TiVo (if it's not re-aired?) then a TiVo wouldn't solve that specific problem either, as it doesn't have component or HDMI inputs.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page