AVS Forum banner

Comcast X1 box - how to use old remote control

66K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  cadeternie 
#1 ·
they just installed the new Comcast x1 system, and it seems to work fine.

but everything I read says the old Comcast remote controls work with this box, but mine don't

I have the silver with red 'ok' button version

any ideas? does it need to be reprogrammed?

I cant get another x1 remote since they are in such short supply here, so I NEED to get the old ones working

thanks!

mark

#27 ·
30 second skip:

The page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. You can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds, or any length of time reprogrammed.

Using the Xfinity XR2 remote, tap the "Exit" button 3 times, then enter 0030.

The default is 0300 (seconds or 5 minutes). If you want to make it 1 minute, tap Exit 3 times then enter 0060. For 2 minutes, it would be 0120, etc.

To verify:

Start playing a recorded program on your DVR, then press the "pg up" button. It should now skip 30 seconds.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsokphilly  /t/1469894/comcast-x1-box-how-to-use-old-remote-control#post_23494604

0500 (500 seconds) would be 8 mintues and 33 seconds

5 minutes is 300 seconds, so use 0300.
That always confused me!?!

#31 ·
Can anyone else confirm this? For me only 30 seconds and 5 minutes work on the page up/down command.

#32 ·
I have ordered the x1 boxes (one dvr and two satellites) and expect them to be delivered next week. My current set up has all of the boxes located out of site in a closet. They are all controlled by a URC RF remote, which of course broadcasts its signal to a RF receiver which then converts the signal into IR, and delivers these via flashers. I understand the new XR2 remote is RF (and IR as well, I assume). Can the X1 box receive directly the RF command from my URC remote, or will I still have to convert that signal to IR like I presently do?

Thanks

#33 ·
I think the X1 RF function would only work with supplied remote.

Note this too, the RF only works with the DVR STB's. It's a shame they didn't include that in the satellite PR150's. But they do have an IR port on the back for IR receivers.

I hope you like X1. I do.

They need to add more discrete IR commands, though for those of that use custom remotes. Like for my Harmony One, there's no DVR, Live, skip forward (30 sec) buttons on the XR2, and XR5. They got rid of a lot of buttons from the old remote.

#34 ·
Thanks Capt. In reading the posts here, it looks as if you can switch the 5 minute skip to a 30 second skip by reconfiguring the DVR box. Right now, my DVR is a SA8300 which I think only has the 5 minute skip. Another missing command is discrete power on and off commands. Does the X!/XR2 have this. Right now I just never "power" it down, although that creates issues if there has been a power outage or sum such.

If you don't have a guide command, how to you access it. From a menu I assume. Perhaps you can create a macro to simulate the guide button?

How do you get to the DVR page if there is no button. Again, can a macro be created to simulate this button.

Sounds like there might be a lot of programming work and angst to get this setup working!!

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris200  /t/1469894/comcast-x1-box-how-to-use-old-remote-control/30#post_23512437

Sounds like there might be a lot of programming work and angst to get this setup working!!
There are no discrete power commands.

You access Guide, DVR, On Demand, Apps, Search, and Settings by toggling the Menu key. I don't think a macro would work. Because it doesn't always go back to a set point.

Edit: Sorry, there is a Guide button.

#37 ·
I have been able to set my X1 DVR box to skip forward 30 seconds when page+ is pressed. However, I have been unable to do this on the X1 satellite boxes. What this means is that the skip forward is 30 seconds when you are watching a recording on the DVR, but 5 minutes when you are watching a recording on a satellite box. Anyone out there know a work around for this. Exit, Exit, Exit, 0,0,3,0 does not work on the satellite box.

#38 ·
I don't think it works on the satellite boxes ;(

#39 ·
I've been reading through this thread because I have the same aim: control a Comcast X1 box with an old silver (red OK button) Comcast remote. It's my understanding that the program code is 01982 for the X1 box. I've programmed buttons separately in the past, so I know what's that about, but I'd rather not search through 255 functions to find what controls CH+ and CH-, let alone power.

For my box, 01982 on my silver remote does nothing in terms of controlling the X1 unfortunately. Any other suggestions? Appreciated.

#40 ·
The posted EFCs have been confirmed by some to work. My guess is you don't really have it on 1982. Many cable remotes come code locked. If you don't get 2 blinks, it's locked. Follow the manual instructions in my wiki link to unlock it, then try again. There are 2 sets of EFCs posted. The second one is probably your best bet (the Spoiler one), unless someone can confirm which set is good. If someone could confirm exactly what works, that would be very useful.

#41 ·
OMG I just realized that while I was going through this forum, I had 2 tabs/threads going, and I had accidentally replied to the wrong one... Here is my original post:
Quote:
First time poster here...

First of all, I want to say, ALL YOU GUYS ROCK! I learned so much on this thread and was able to accomplish what I thought was only a dream! I was really worried I was gonna be stuck using 2 remotes (one for tv/dvr, one for volume/receiver/input) and/or having to shell out for a fancy shmancy univeral remote. They put a lot of thought into the X1 dvr stb, but apparently not into the design of their remote (what, we don't run our tvs through a receiver or anything?!?!).

Onto my question... I am still trying to wrap my head around identifying the EFC code finder thing(?) for a specific button, and without getting far figuring it, I figured maybe I can ask you pros, experts, and knowledgeable ones and ask what the green D button on the x1 remote's EFC code is and/or how else I can transfer it to my old silver/black/red OK button comcast remote? I figure I'd like to assign it to the FAV button, Help button, or any of the picture-in-picture buttons. It's really the only thing missing,

actually...one thing I noticed that I was a bit disappointed with is the waste of the button of "MyDVR." I would rather try and make use of it, but I can't imagine where to begin and maybe you experts might have an idea. Maybe a macro of some sort...but pressing the menu/xfinity button doesn't start in one spot (just the last spot you were looking at).

and I just wanted to confirm (i intended to ask this to the xfinity rep to confirm about my programming tomorrow), is there no way to watch standard definition channels any longer??? (the HD channels in my area are in the 700's, but when I try and see channel 2, it goes directly to 702) It does this spouting "based on your video preferences" goes automatically to the HD version of this...

in any case, I appreciate any attention/consideration given and thank you guys in advanced...

P.S. Just confirming that there is a blank on my output resolution as well, after inputting 1080p60HD. But, confirming it on my TV, at least it actually is displaying at 1080p versus 1080i!

and
Quote:
So...just updating...It seems that I had inadvertently turned on a certain setting that I was unfamiliar with (auto-tune HD) that didn't allow me to watch a SD channel...

But i'd still like to see if I can't EFC apply the D/Green button to my old Comcast remote...

Thanks again in advanced!

#42 ·
The lack of a My DVR or list command on the X1 is deplorable.

You're right, I don't think it's possible to build a macro for that as the Xfinity Menu never starts in the same place.

I've begged Comcast to add this functionality for custom installs/universal remote users.

But considering they didn't even include a TV input button on the new remotes, I don't think we can count on that anytime soon.

The remote design team should be horse whipped

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalheaven  /t/1469894/comcast-x1-box-how-to-use-old-remote-control/30#post_23626266

I've been reading through this thread because I have the same aim: control a Comcast X1 box with an old silver (red OK button) Comcast remote. It's my understanding that the program code is 01982 for the X1 box. I've programmed buttons separately in the past, so I know what's that about, but I'd rather not search through 255 functions to find what controls CH+ and CH-, let alone power.

For my box, 01982 on my silver remote does nothing in terms of controlling the X1 unfortunately. Any other suggestions? Appreciated.

I had this same problem. I've discovered that the newer remotes that Comcast issues with the "Xfinity" brand do not work with the X1. Try to acquire a remote that is "Comcast" branded and it will work. The remote must have "Comcast" written near the bottom of the remote instead of "Xfinity." The Silver and gray "Comcast" remotes both work with the X1 using code 01982. There is one difference though. The gray ones work fine. On the silver ones the exit button does not work. The exit button on the silver remote, however, can be made functional with code 39877. To learn how to key map and whatever I use this source: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote

Hope this helps.

#44 ·

Quote:
original post

anyone know how to EFC code the yellow A button to the old silver remote?

I'd really appreciate it...thanks!

If anyone wishes to know (through complete luck and even if it is listed as a "guide" button), the EFC code for the yellow A button is 18885; you can test it by pressing Setup18885.

Hope this helps those like me...

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1469894/comcast-x1-box-how-to-use-old-remote-control/30#post_24208044

Thanks, but I posted that code, among others, 7 months ago in post #10. To find all other functions, one only needs to try each code. But nobody in this thread cares enough to spend half an hour to try them all.

Ah, so you did. Sorry about that...overlooked the spoiler tags. It would've saved me a lot of trouble...

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsokphilly  /t/1469894/comcast-x1-box-how-to-use-old-remote-control#post_23494604

0500 (500 seconds) would be 8 mintues and 33 seconds

5 minutes is 300 seconds, so use 0300.

Sorry, for clarity I need to correct the statement quoted above.

The entry is in seconds, i.e. 0030 = 30 seconds, 0500 = 500 seconds etc. 500 / 60 = 8.333 minutes, NOT 8 Min. and 33 Seconds. To avoid confusion 0500 = 8 minutes and 20 seconds (0.333333 * 60 = 19.99999) 19.99999 rounded up is 20 seconds.

However, unless something has been discovered of which I'm not aware, the only 2 options for programming the skip are 0030 for 30 second skip and 0500 to return the box to it's original setting of 5 minutes. Whether or not 0500 actually causes the box to skip exactly 5 minutes, I am unable to ascertain. From the latest info I could find, nobody has offered proof of any other code working...e.g.. that 0045 would skip 45 seconds and so on.

Please let me know if there is recent news on programming the skip.

Thanks

#48 ·
Re: X1 Remote and IR / Harmony Remote.
Options

‎02-24-2014 10:49 PM

***** Solution *******

There are two options to update your Harmony One Remote, one worked for me the other didn't::

1) Downloaded software (Version 7.0.0 or something)

2) Online remote software on the Logitech website (Support -> Harmony Online Support) 

When adding a device using option 1 the system didn't recognize the DVR no matter how I entered it. I tried Xfinnity X1, PACE, ect...nothing worked and I got an error saying "none of your devices can change a channel. 

Solution: Use option 2 online and simply enter the device manufacture as "Xfinnity" and model as "X1". It recognized it immediately, populated ALL of the commands, and works perfectly. 

So...the software doesn't work but the online updating program works! 

#49 ·
I have tried without success to gate my Silver Comcast (red OK) Remote to work fully with my Pace X1 DVR Box. I have the Silver Remot working with my Pace X1 DVR using the 01982 code but the "Exit" button does not work. I have tried using the 39877 EFC code, got the remote to blink twice, but still have not gotten the "Exit" button to work........anyone have anyother ideas on how I can get the "Exit" button to work?

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdstu  /t/1469894/comcast-x1-box-how-to-use-old-remote-control/0_100#post_24464895

I have tried without success to gate my Silver Comcast (red OK) Remote to work fully with my Pace X1 DVR Box. I have the Silver Remot working with my Pace X1 DVR using the 01982 code but the "Exit" button does not work. I have tried using the 39877 EFC code, got the remote to blink twice, but still have not gotten the "Exit" button to work........anyone have anyother ideas on how I can get the "Exit" button to work?
What's your procedure exactly for assigning that EFC to Exit?

#51 ·
This is the procedure I used.....and the EFC I used was 39877.... and after fiddiling around with it again I was able to get the EXIT key to work!

Remap a Key[edit]

This is the general procedure for remapping. Several common mapping options specific to the Motorola DVR are listed below.

(Option) Press and release the device key to make it the default. (I press the Cable Button)

Press and hold the "Setup" button until a device key blinks twice.

Type in the code 994. A device key will blink twice.

Press the key to get the code from. This can be:

Another button with an existing code or,

Press and release "Setup", then type in a 3- or 5-digit code. The code is called an 'Extended Function Code' (EFC). Most of the silver remotes use 5-digit codes. Most others use 3-digits. In most cases, you just add '00' to the front of the 3-digit code to get a 5-digit code (00173 = 173).

Press and release the button you want to put the code on. (I press the Exit Button)

If the remap is successful, a device key will blink twice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.