Record on computer-stream to TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm an electrician and I've been wiring my parents new house.

They'll have 3 TVs and a computer. Each TV will have a receiver and so will the computer. I want to use the computer as a PVR and then stream recorded TV shows to each TV. They're looking at getting Samung Smart TVs.

I have all the wires ran but I'm wondering about what software will be able to do this. My parents still use VHS to record and I'm upgrading them from the 80s smile.gif.

Basically I'm trying to set things up so they can set up the computer to record and then they can watch it on any TV rather then have a PVR at each TV. Is there certain software that can save in a file format that smart TVs can play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
What is their program source? Cable, OTA or satellite.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174

First, you have to start with their viewing habits (beyond the above question)...

• Do they watch TV live?
  • Do they watch commercial delayed (start viewing partially into the show)?
  • How bullet-proof do you want it to be?

Assuming a little (wanting it be flexible and trouble free) I would more than likely give up on the Smart TV approach. I'm sure it could be done via DLNA or other means but I simply don't think it would be worth it for a variety of reasons. As to an actual solution as few more details should help.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Satellite. They will watch TV live. The point to having the computer PVR is to share the same content to multiple TVs, also share photos, music etc.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWasTaken View Post

Thanks for the replies.

Satellite. They will watch TV live. The point to having the computer PVR is to share the same content to multiple TVs, also share photos, music etc.

Watching TV live or watching live TV is somewhat confusing since you first said a PVR. As for smart TV's, that usually means they are a DNLA client. So your computer would have to be a DNLA server. I have no experience in the capture of dish content, but distribution of 1080p content could be a challenge. Access to photo or stored music via DNLA is very easy with WMC and Windows7 (if supported by the smart TV). There is also housekeeping since one hour of 1080i content needs about 8GB.

I'm sure others will have alternatives. It's a big world and there must be a better solution. (Hopper?)

post #6 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I guess I mean DVR, I don't have either so I'm getting mixed up, TV live/Live TV.

I've always used my Playstation 3 to stream 1080p, photos and music from my computer to my TV. I have a server setup on my comp - ps3 media server. My LCD is 4 years old and this setup works for me.

This other setup is taking the PS3 out of the picture. Whatever software it is that I need, it has to be able to save in a file format that the TVs can read.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 87

I understand better now. If it was just two TVs, smart or not, then it would be easy. My sister has a dish and one DVR/receiver and one STB.

I've exhausted my insite though. I don't have a dish, PS3, and only two TVs. I understand the PS3 is a great server and I know it's almost alone with 1080p content delivery ability. I wish you well on your quest and hope you find a solution.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWasTaken View Post

Thanks for the replies.

Satellite. They will watch TV live. The point to having the computer PVR is to share the same content to multiple TVs .
Satellite is the most "closed" of the pay TV options. There are no consumer recording devices you can plug a satellite feed into -- you need a satellite STB that has been activated by the carrier. I know of no satellite tuner cards for PC's which means you cannot run the satellite feed to a PC and use it as a stand-alone satellite DVR. Your options are limited, but here are a couple that come to mind:
  1. Whole-home DVR: If your satellite company offers a whole-home DVR solution you would get a multi-tuner sat. DVR for your main viewing room and standard sat. STB's for your additional TV's. The sat. STB's on the remote TV's would play live TV from the sat. feed or stream recorded content from the main sat. DVR.
  2. Haupauge/PC: A Hauppauge HD-PVR is a recording box that inputs the component outputs of an STB, attaches to a PC via USB and is controlled by the PC recording software. The HD-PVR has an IR-blaster that will change the channel on a STB. You would dedicate a sat. STB to the HD-PVR/PC and use recording software on the PC to schedule recordings -- the HD-PVR would control the STB. The PC will also be running a DLNA server application to publish the recordings so your Smart TV's can stream them. The PC will be running 24x7; recordings will have to be scheduled at the PC; you are limited to a single tuner; no remote TV without a sat. STB will be able to watch anything direct from the satellite feed (i.e. live TV).

Option 1 is by far the better option for integrated ease of use. Option 2 is painful.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174

Frankly, it's not an option on several levels. OTA and cable there would be a few possible options but still having to drop the Smart TV aspect for any degree of usability. Looks like the Hopper (via Dish) would cover you with the added benefit of being able to skip commercial on networks shows... if you waited until the next day to view them.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page