TWC Los Angeles - Which HDTV DVR box should I keep - DCH3416 or DCX3400-M?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently called TWC because the audio was intermittently dropping out for a second or two while I was watching TV. I've also noticed in the past when I'm watching a movie I've recorded on my DVR that there will be glitches in the movie - exactly like when you're watching a scratched DVD or Blu-ray disc. My current HDTV DVR is a Motorola DCH3416.

The guy brought me a somewhat trashed DCX3400 which I instantly didn't like due to it's non-conventional size and shape (the old box is the same width as my Yamaha Blu-ray player so they fit nicely together in my entertainment center). The DCX3400 has a larger HD (I THINK they said the DCH3416 was 160GB and the DCX3400 was 250GB) and faster video processor (800xx Mhz vs. 1Ghz). However, not being a MoCA box, it had the same old guide (which, I figured, was a bad thing) and I could not use the remote features of the iOS apps.

Not knowing any better, I requested a DCX3400-M. I guess it also has a 1Ghz processor and, according to the hidden settings menu, something like a 465GB HD. Pretty sweet - except for the fact that it has the horrible new user interface.

Because I couldn't decide which box to keep, they let me keep all three for a few days until I could figure out which box I wanted to keep. Aesthetically (not that important, but I do have to look at the thing every day, even when it isn't on) I much prefer the original box - the lights are dimmer and match those of my other components, and the size/shape is much better. Functionally, while it has a slower video processor (is there a big difference between 800 Mhz and 1Ghz?) and much smaller HD, it DOES have the older guide, which is much easier to use, has color-coded programming, etc., proper search functions, etc.. Assuming that the audio and video issues I was having were caused by a bad HDMI cable and not a problem with the box itself, I'm tempted to keep the old box.

The DCX3400-M is tempting, due it it's huge HD and remote functions. It also lets you filter my favorite channels - and remembers that setting across sessions, which is great. Other than that feature, however, the new guide is a DISASTER. For example, if I want to search for all sports currently on live TV, it will only come up with 3 channels; if I search for movies currently on live TV, it only gives me HBO, which I don't even subscribe to. Additionally, the FF and REW feature is a mess - instead of speeding through in real time, it displays single frames in different increments and doesn't stop when you tell it to. lastly, all programming is in black and blue - no more green for sports, purple for movies, etc. I could go on and on. That being said, according to TWC, they will eventually be phasing out the old guide, which means I'll be forced to use the new guide - probably on a new-style box like the DCX3400 or 3400-M - anyway, at some point. Problem is, they can't tell me when that will be - could be in 2 or 3 months, could be in 18 months, etc.

I've narrowed my choice down to the original DCH3416 or the DCX3400-M (the non-MoCA DCX3400 is pretty trashed) but I'm still not sure which one to keep. Should the larger HD or faster processor of the new box make it a no-brainer - despite the horrible new guide - especially if I'm going to have to make the switch at some point in the further anyway? OR should I hang on to the older box with the preferred guide and aesthetics for as long as I can?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated :-)

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Really? No opinions or advice??
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

Really? No opinions or advice??

Generally, the DCX3400 is a newer and better DVR. It supports H.264 video. The DCH3416 does not. The DCX3400 has 1GHz tuners. The DCH3416 only has 864 MHz tuners. The DCX3400 should have a bigger HDD and more RAM. Some people like the look of the DCH3416 better. Some like the DCX3400 better.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/02/motorola_dch3416_440.jpg
http://www.tcc.coop/images/Equipment/dcx3400.jpg

I've never used either. My DVRs have been SA/Cisco. I'd go with the DCX3400.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 03:26 PM

I just got TWC TV yesterday and they me the Motorola DCH3416 Box. After installing it, I was immediately disgusted at what the Menu Guide looked like. It was so pixelated, worse than watching SD TV on my HDTV. And the navigation was not user friendly at all. Then I downloaded the manual and saw that it came out in 2007. I can't believe they would give a new customer this crappy obsolete box. I used to have DirecTV service and loved their Guide and Navigation, but cancelled because they kept jacking up the price. So today I returned the Motorola DCH3416 Box and they gave me Motorola DCX3400. I'll install it today and I hope it's not worse than the DCH3416.

Last edited by rcp1981; 06-13-2014 at 09:32 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I hate to tell you, but all Moto boxes have pretty much the same 1980's interface. Coming from DirecTV, the only way to get a comparable interface is with a cable card device (WMC with Ceton or Silicon Dust, Tivo or Samsung). Several providers supposedly have a modern interface in the pipeline, but nothing released yet except on Comcast (Xfinity), Uverse and a few others. FWIW, below is what my WMC interface looks, if you'd consider that option. Saves me a ton of money in equipment and DVR fees and is far better than any cable company DVR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM

So They gave me the DCX3510-M box and the guide is much much better. It's also faster and user friendly. Since no one at TW could help me, I had to research which boxes had the new guides and request it the store. I requested one of these boxes:
Motorola - DCX3200-M, DCX3400-M, DCX3510-M
Samsung - 3260, 3270, 3262, 3272, 3362
Cisco - 464x, 864x, 474x, 874x

Here's a link to what I found:
http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5...highlight/true

And in response to John's first post, I like the new guide way way better compared to that pixelated old one. I don't see how you can even consider the old box unless you don't have an HDTV. This is a no brainer for me, I would go with the DCX3400-M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	114017  

Last edited by rcp1981; 06-13-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the 3510 guide still 4:3 on an HD display? Last time I pulled my 3510 out of the closet and hooked it up, it still had a 20-year old looking SD interface.

That 3400 guide posted above looks pretty good.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Hi mdavej,
You have to make sure you have a box with the "-M" at the end. I had the Motorola DCX3400 earlier this week and it had the old Guide. Now I have the DCX3510-M and it looks great as seen in the picture of my last post. I'm sure the DCX3400-M would look the same. I went to 4 different Time Warner Stores in 4 days to finally get the box I wanted. So if you have an old box, just go to the store and request one from the list I posted. Don't try to call them since they have no idea of the box inventory of each store.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Just wanted to satisfy my curiosity. I use WMC and Ceton InfiniTV and have no plans to use any cable DVRs on a regular basis. They're far too limited and expensive, even with an improved guide. But I am glad to see progress finally being made.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page