Tivo Premiere Problem...what's going on??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,
I have had 2 new Tivo Premires over the past two months. Both have given me the same problems. I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what/why these problems are happening.

My first problem is that when I hit the 9 button, the Tivo goes to 9.1. And 7 goes to 7.1. That's want I would expect. However for channels 4, 5 and 26, the Tivo actually goes to the 4, 5 or 26 (black screens), not the digital 4.1, 5.1, 26.1. Channels 4, 5 and 26 are not even in my Channel List. I have to hit the up-channel button to get to the proper channel. When I am in the Channel Strength mode, if I hit 4, 5 or 26, it goes to the digital channel, unlike when I am in the simple TV viewing mode. Why does it not work in the TV viewing mode when it works in the Channel Strenght mode????

My other problem is with the ability of the Tivo Premiere to hold the channel. I don't have a problem with channel 7.1 or 9.1. However, when I view or record a show with the Premiere on 4.1, 5.1 or 26.1, it is virtually impossible to watch because the signal is constantly breaking up. However, when I watch these same channels directly on my TV or recordings from my other DVR (DTVPal), I don't have this problem. I don't get the signal breakups.

Tivo techs just sort of shrug their shoulders and can not come up with any ideas or fix. I have tried 3 different antennas. No change.

Any ideas????
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The channel number thing might be an RF issue? I have not tried direct RF tuning to see if it goes to the displayed channel. My Panasonic TV does that, when I hit RF 9 it goes to channel 52-1. If I hit 11 it goes to 11-1, also if I hit 19 it goes to 11-1. So the point is at least check the RF number for the channels in question.

The TiVo tuner is not the best in the world; but check out your cables and splitters etc very carefully. Seems the TiVo can be picky with those things. Also, go to DVR Diagnostics and look closely at the info for both tuners. For the "problem" channels breaking up, look closely at Signal strength, SNR, and RS corrected and uncorrected, those may help you track down some of the problems. Also, the "last" RG6 cable you have in the chain of cables as it enters the TiVo at the back..............just try another one, some owners have reported even the length on the wire in the connector has prevented the tuner from holding on to a channel like it should.

Basically, if the RS uncorrected is getting "high" (it should be "0"); then that implies the TiVo box is not getting a good signal like your other equipment is - that is a general statement (not an absolute truth).

Also, there are some bugs in the latest release firmware on the signal strength meter - It may not even report correctly and hang up, each time it does you have to unplug and reboot.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

The channel number thing might be an RF issue? I have not tried direct RF tuning to see if it goes to the displayed channel. My Panasonic TV does that, when I hit RF 9 it goes to channel 52-1. If I hit 11 it goes to 11-1, also if I hit 19 it goes to 11-1. So the point is at least check the RF number for the channels in question.

The TiVo tuner is not the best in the world; but check out your cables and splitters etc very carefully. Seems the TiVo can be picky with those things. Also, go to DVR Diagnostics and look closely at the info for both tuners. For the "problem" channels breaking up, look closely at Signal strength, SNR, and RS corrected and uncorrected, those may help you track down some of the problems. Also, the "last" RG6 cable you have in the chain of cables as it enters the TiVo at the back..............just try another one, some owners have reported even the length on the wire in the connector has prevented the tuner from holding on to a channel like it should.

Basically, if the RS uncorrected is getting "high" (it should be "0"); then that implies the TiVo box is not getting a good signal like your other equipment is - that is a general statement (not an absolute truth).

Also, there are some bugs in the latest release firmware on the signal strength meter - It may not even report correctly and hang up, each time it does you have to unplug and reboot.
======================================
Greetings,
I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say "...check the RF number for the channels in question." Can you explain a bit more. But I took a look at the Channel List. The 2 channels that work correctly when the channel is selected with the remote are 7 and 9. When I look in the Channel List, the 'Digital Frequency' shows 7.1=7 and 9.1=9, respectively. However, for the other channels that don't go to their respective digital channel are the following with their indicated 'Digital Frequency'. They all go to their non-digital channel (though not listed in the channel list):
4.1=48; 5.1=36; 26.1=27; 14.1=15; 20.1=35; 30.1=24; and 32.1=33, for example. I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem???

When I went to the Diagnostic screen, all it had was the title but no information, as it has in the past. The tech people told me to reboot the Tivo and it came back to normal. I looked at the RS Uncorrected for channel 4 andit was '0' and it was getting a good reception at the time. However, I looked at channel 5 and the RS Uncorrected was over 400,000 and counting. It was getting a bit of breakup in the signal. But it comes and goes so I don't know what is making it fluctuate...sometimes not too bad, other times really bad (coming through the Tivo). The TV and the Tivo get the same signal because the antenna cable is split right at the TV and Tivo..

These issues have been elevated to Level 3, they tell me. If I get any info, I'll pass it on here.
Thanks... Gary
post #4 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I just tested the RF selection on the TiVo and it does work exactly like it does on the Panasonic TV. As you have discovered if you punch in the RF number for a given station it will go to that station. For example here in Dallas I can punch in 19 (the RF that is ‘not’ in use for another channel) and it goes to 11-1. Or I can punch in RF 35 and it goes to 4-1. Etc. Short answer: sounds like it is working fine there too. You can go to TVFOOL or antennaweb. Org to get the RF assignments for your town. None of this is related to your channels breaking up.

If the RS uncorrected is getting high, then at least try the cable change out at the back of the TiVo box. You may also try direct connection by testing and eliminating splitters etc.

Something is not right somewhere with the signal the tuner in the TiVo is getting; there are endless possibilities so it may take some time to track down. Try switching the TV set connection with the TiVo connection etc.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just tested the RF selection on the TiVo and it does work exactly like it does on the Panasonic TV. As you have discovered if you punch in the RF number for a given station it will go to that station. For example here in Dallas I can punch in 19 (the RF that is ‘not’ in use for another channel) and it goes to 11-1. Or I can punch in RF 35 and it goes to 4-1. Etc. Short answer: sounds like it is working fine there too. You can go to TVFOOL or antennaweb. Org to get the RF assignments for your town. None of this is related to your channels breaking up.

If the RS uncorrected is getting high, then at least try the cable change out at the back of the TiVo box. You may also try direct connection by testing and eliminating splitters etc.

Something is not right somewhere with the signal the tuner in the TiVo is getting; there are endless possibilities so it may take some time to track down. Try switching the TV set connection with the TiVo connection etc.
==============================
There must be something in the software that is not correct. When I press 48, for example, it goes to 4.1. Same with the other 'Digital Frequency' numbers I mentioned above. The Premiere is not set to understand that 4 is 48 and should switch to 4.1. This applies to 7 of the channels in my area that do the same thing. Only channels 7 and 9 will go to the 7.1 and 9.1 when the 7 and 9 are pressed. Their digital frequencies are 7 and 9, respectively. I called Tivo techs today to make sure they pass it on to their engineers. It seems to be a simple software fix. I hope this is the answer. Too bad the poor tuner reception problem doesn't seem to be able to be fixed.
Gary
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I may have missed it; but what city are you in?

And I assume you are OTA?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I may have missed it; but what city are you in?

And I assume you are OTA?
==========================\
Reston, VA 20194, just ouside of DC. Yes, OTA. The TV stations are about 15 miles away.
Gary
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, this is what I did. I went to www.Rabbitears.info (can also use TVFool, FCC, or antennaweb.org etc)

“IF” the digital number is not already in use for another RF, then this is what should happen on your TiVo (and many TV brands do the same thing, like my Panasonic about 6 years old).

If you punch in the following RF numbers you should get its corresponding digital number (take into account the “IF” statement above).

RF = Digital Number
7 = 7.1
9 = 9.1
28 = 62.1
27 = 26.1
48 = 4.1
36 = 5.1
And so on and so on etc.

If you punch in 4 or 5 or 26 as an RF then there will be snow when looking for an analog, then a black screen when looking for a digital. If neither type of channel(s) are associated with that RF the TiVo will get nothing. Now in this case this is where my Panasonic TV would differ. If I punched in 4 on it, and lived in your area it would look up the RF of 48 and give me channel 4.1.

So on the TiVo in order to get 4.1 there will be two ways to get 4.1 directly.
Punch in 4.1
Punch in 48

If you punch in just 4 it will look first for analog 4 then any digital associated to RF 4, there is none so it gives you nothing; so then you have to hit “up channel” to get it OR enter the 4.1 or 48

Hopefully, you are now making progress on tuning into channels and working on a plan to help stop the channels from breaking up. In order to make the fastest progress you will want to “fine tune” the antenna system as best as you can to get the RS corrected and uncorrected as close to “0” as you can. Every time you see the “RS uncorrected” above “0” you will see break up. That fine tuning will include everything from antenna aiming to the cables (particularly at the back of the TiVo).

As others have said the TiVo tuner is not the best in the world; it could be a good deal better.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I was just experiencing this issue this morning. From the metro Detroit, MI area and I'm looking to upgrade my antenna so that I can get a better lock on CBC before the 2014 Olympics. The signal strength meter was reporting the same strength regardless of what channel I was on. As long as the TiVo detected a signal, it had a strength of 77---clearly not the case for some of my "fringe" channels. I repeated Guided Setup, which I was instructed to do by the TiVo support rep, but that fixed nothing. Tried unplugging and plugged it back in. Meter worked for about 15 seconds...then every channel had a strength of 100.

Emailed support and referred them to this thread to let them know that others are having OTA tuner issues.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page