TViX DVICO R-2210, 720p ATSC HDTV OTA signal support, latest firmware version - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody,

I have just purchased the TViX DVICO R-2210 HDTV Tuner/Multimedia Player/PVR/DVR/Analog Video Recorder.

The unit works as supposed, but I have a problem with certain channels. I live in Canada (province of Quebec). In my area, most TV stations brodcast in 1080i. The R-2210 catch them normally. But I'm absolutly uable to catch the channels that brodcast in 720p, Radio-Canada (SRC) and Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). I'm in the Montreal area, and I absolutly need to get these two channels.

When scanning for channels, the R-2210 do detect SRC and CBC (2-1 CBFT-DT and 6-1 CBMT-DT), as I can select these channels with the remote control, but there is absolutly no image and I get a 'NO SIGNAL' message. I have checked my antenna and there is not any problem with it. It's a Digiwave ANT-2084. (When I use this antenna with an Access HD DTA1030 converter box, I catch perfectly ALL the available channels.)

My question is: Is the R-2210 supposed to be compatible with ATSC 720p ? (N.-B.: I'm really talking about the incoming over-the-air digital signal and NOT the HDMI output signal.)

It should be mentioned that in the HDTV settings of the R-2210, you have to select your country. Canada is not there, so I choose USA. In Canada, CBFT-DT broadcasts his signal on UHF channel 19 (virtual channel 2-1) and CBMT-DT broadcasts his signal on UHF channel 21 (virtual channel 6-1). I guess the R-2210 might not "understand" that it must take into account that in Canada channel 19 and channel 21 brodcast in 720p. I supect that the device is expecting to see a 1080i signal while it's a 720p one. Or, could the R-2210 be incompatible with ATSC 720p ???

I would like to know if this problem can be solved with a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't know what is the latest firmware available for my device, and I don't even know what is the version of my current firmware...

First, could somebody tell me how to check which firmware version I have ? (I know I have at least version 1.8.2 because I have the AUTO-TIMESHIFTING START function.)

Next, what's the latest firmware available for the R-2210 ? Right now, this site is down:

http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng

It was still there one or two months ago. The firmware could be downloaded but I don't remember the version number.

I also checked on this site:

http://www.jaymm.co.in/

It is reachable, but the Download section is down, and they seem to only provide support for the R-2200 anyway...

If you have any useful information about my problem described above or about the latest firmware, please give your input in this thread.

Thanks for your help !

Antony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Uh oh... the English TViX site is gone. Perhaps this is the death knell of DVICo products that we've been dreading.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to find much help here. Most of us who own a TViX have the M6620 dual-tuner model. I think TPeterson also has the single-tuner M3310 model, but the R models are, AFAIK, much older, due to their analogue functions that are not present on the digital-only models. It wouldn't surprise me if the R series has problems with ATSC, since IIRC they still have NTSC recording functions. The latest M-series firmware version is 2.1.0, but I doubt it applies to the R series.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Antony, as Aleron said, I do have an R3310. I also beta tested the R2210 back in the day when they were new. The 33xx and 22xx models have the same tuner and firmware and are totally compatible with all ATSC signals, so the fact that you're having trouble with two 720p stations is either coincidence or those two stations are both somehow violating the standard (perhaps in a way similar to the way many ION network stations are doing).

If you downloaded new firmware within the past five years you have the latest because there's been no development on that model for at least that long.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
the fact that you're having trouble with two 720p stations is either coincidence or those two stations are both somehow violating the standard

Well, SRC and CBC are Canada’s national television channels. Do you really think they can violate the standard ? These channels work perfectly with the Access HD DTA1030 and the Zinwell ZAT-970A converter boxes. No problem too with my Samsung HDTV. SRC and CBC are usually the channels that are the most easy to catch !!! Could my R2210 be defective ???

Regarding the firmware, I found out mine is 1.8.2. It is written in small characters on the System Setup page in the bottom right corner.

I was able to download firmware version 1.8.5 from the following page:

http://forumdvico.xooit.fr/t1064-TViX-PVR-2200-series-Public-Firmware-1-8-5.htm

It seems to be an official release. Would you recommend making the upgrade ? It seems risky...
post #5 of 6 Old 06-29-2013, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantony View Post

Well, SRC and CBC are Canada’s national television channels. Do you really think they can violate the standard ? These channels work perfectly with the Access HD DTA1030 and the Zinwell ZAT-970A converter boxes. No problem too with my Samsung HDTV.

It is certainly possible; many station engineers are either incompetent, lazy, or both. If the networks are indeed doing something non-standard, the likely reason that you only see the problem on the TViX is that DVICo is fairly notorious for its products' rigid adherence to standards and their poor error handling when they encounter something they don't like. Most tuners will just accept malformed signals and decode them as well as they can, whereas a TViX will either display nothing or crash (turn off without saving, its default behaviour when it encounters an error).

The "display something at all costs" mindset is something that became prevalent in web browsers, due to the variety of ways people can create malformed web pages, and since people don't like seeing error messages, the thinking became that it was a good idea to just display pages as best as possible for convenience. Unfortunately, this system of operation is also the cause for much of the malware that exists online, because browsers' tendency to display incorrectly designed pages allows for exploits that can allow viruses to infect computers. The safer and saner approach to malformed data is therefore to refuse to display it, thus preventing exploits, which seems to be the mindset held by the DVICo developers. It's annoying (and rather pointless for a DVR, since it would be pretty weird for someone to transmit a virus OTA), but about the only way you could trace and fix this problem would be to get another DVR or TV tuner card that can tune these channels, record them, and compare them to streams sent by 720p stations that work correctly.

If you can find the problem, you could inform the station engineers of what they need to fix, or you could even send them the files, if they are willing to look into the problem for you. If they care about their jobs, they should, because the argument of "some people can't tune your station, so they aren't going to watch it" is a compelling reason for them to fix the problem. The catch is that so few people are likely affected by the problem that they may not care.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 11
I have an R3300. I bought it used specifically for the analog recording but it's sitting on a shelf waiting for a harddrive. I remember the guy I bought it off explaining that a certain firmware version would not tune CBC. And a different version would tune CBC but not some other channel.

So if yours is anything like that, try other versions and find the one that gets the channels you want the most. I got the feeling he would switch back and forth.

But yeah, the 6620N is the best. Get one of those. The older TViXes have too many compromises.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page