X-1 Cabling Requirements - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone please explain to me how the Comcast X-1 is connected from the main box to the smaller boxes and then to each tv. I'm trying to figure out if this system is compatible with my rack mounted system and can't find a lot of information on the web outlining how the system works. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus303 View Post

Can someone please explain to me how the Comcast X-1 is connected from the main box to the smaller boxes and then to each tv. I'm trying to figure out if this system is compatible with my rack mounted system and can't find a lot of information on the web outlining how the system works. Thanks

If you think of it as your own personal home network, that would be a good start but if you don't have one setup maybe this will help. In the package depending on the number of tv's in the house you want to use the X-1 platform on on, you will have the main DVR (a hub , something similar to your main PC) which say goes in your main setup, it installs just like your existing dvr or cable box with hdmi . Now the rest of the set top boxes (referred to as stb around here) will go in each of the other rooms and all will have access to the main dvr (hub) in your main setup, they will have full functionality and access to all the recordings stored there and the ability to record as well as through the dvr itself is built into the stb's but its not as its in the main setup. All use the existing cable wire in each room. So all you need is one main X-1 dvr and as many stb for each room you accesses to it. smile.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. A few follow up questions.

1. My cable boxes are currently in a remote rack and connect via component to an A/V switch. From the A/V I have component to the TV. Can the main box output component to the A/V switch. If not how do I handle the fact that I have no HDMI cabling from the rack. If I put the box near a TV I'm concerned as to how I get a connection from the main box to the other rooms as all my coax run originate at the remote rack. Can the smaller box for each additional TV be remotely located in the rack. It's my understanding the remote use RF so they don't need to be pointed at the boxes.

Thanks again I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. A few follow up questions.

1. My cable boxes are currently in a remote rack and connect via component to an A/V switch. From the A/V I have component to the TV. Can the main box output component to the A/V switch. If not how do I handle the fact that I have no HDMI cabling from the rack. If I put the box near a TV I'm concerned as to how I get a connection from the main box to the other rooms as all my coax run originate at the remote rack. Can the smaller box for each additional TV be remotely located in the rack. It's my understanding the remote use RF so they don't need to be pointed at the boxes.

Thanks again I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Yes it does have component outputs.

One question do the other rooms have a coax cable installed there?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

All rooms have coax run originating from the remote rack in the basement. None of the rooms have an HDMI run from the remote rack to the TV.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All rooms have coax run originating from the remote rack in the basement. None of the rooms have an HDMI run from the remote rack to the TV.

Is there a way to get hdmi to those tv's if the stb are near them? how are they currently receiving the signal?
post #7 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I can get HDMI runs to them as they are one to two floors away and on the other side of the house. Currently the main sets get component for HD signal form the AV switch. For non main TV's and non HD signal coax goes to each TV. HDMI wasn't s standard when the house was built
post #8 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think I can get HDMI runs to them as they are one to two floors away and on the other side of the house. Currently the main sets get component for HD signal form the AV switch. For non main TV's and non HD signal coax goes to each TV. HDMI wasn't s standard when the house was built

Hmm! I'm not sure I follow , are you saying all the tvs in the house are fed from component in the basement and have no coax in the rooms? if this is the case how many tuners do you have?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

I have two cable boxes in the basement with two tuner each. These boxes are only hooked up to the three main TV's in house. These three TV's have coax and component cabling from the basement.

The other TV's in guest rooms and room that don't get used often are just getting basic cable at the moment and are not hooked up to the cable boxes. These TV's just have coax runs from the basement to each room.

My goal is to get X1 on the three main TV's as well at least one of the secondary TV's (if possible)

Does that make sense.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-05-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have two cable boxes in the basement with two tuner each. These boxes are only hooked up to the three main TV's in house. These three TV's have coax and component cabling from the basement.

The other TV's in guest rooms and room that don't get used often are just getting basic cable at the moment and are not hooked up to the cable boxes. These TV's just have coax runs from the basement to each room.

My goal is to get X1 on the three main TV's as well at least one of the secondary TV's (if possible)

Does that make sense.

Much better , are the two boxes HD Dvr's?
post #11 of 14 Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yes they are both comcast/motorola hd dvrs
post #12 of 14 Old 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes they are both comcast/motorola hd dvrs

Cool , I had a similar setup . what they will do is replace the two HD dvr's with one with a 500gb hard drive and if I were you get 3 stb as the additional cost will be less than $10 or go with the main dvr and 2 stb for the same price you have now with the benefit of the third now having access to all the dvr functions. all you need to do now is give them a call as it sounds like you have all you need for the installation.

good luck and post back if all went ok smile.gif
post #13 of 14 Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help
post #14 of 14 Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 PM