Can I record Dvd from Tivo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All of my channels are about to be encrypted. I have avoided cable boxes and the cable co. dvr. I have a low def
dvr. I can play .mp4 or hi-def files on a blu-ray player using a standard dvd or on a flash drive with a usb port.

So can I use a cable box or tivo with a way to export files and save them to a standard dvd. What, if any, are the ports on the back to export files?

And I would rather not use a computer if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycej@truman.ed View Post

All of my channels are about to be encrypted. I have avoided cable boxes and the cable co. dvr. I have a low def
dvr. I can play .mp4 or hi-def files on a blu-ray player using a standard dvd or on a flash drive with a usb port.

So can I use a cable box or tivo with a way to export files and save them to a standard dvd. What, if any, are the ports on the back to export files?

And I would rather not use a computer if possible.

The USB ports don't support hard drives or USB flash devices, only the TiVo 802.11g adapter and a special Bluetooth adapter for the Slide remote. If you want to download shows from the TiVo, a computer will be required. This can be done via WiFi (with the appropriate adapter) or wired Ethernet. The resulting downloaded content is an MPEG-2 program stream containing MPEG-2 video and either AC-3 audio (for native digital content) or MPEG-1 layer 2 audio (for encoded analog content). The files can get pretty large, particularly for HD shows, so you'd need something that supports HFS+, NTFS or exFAT, if you're not transcoding them to burn to DVD.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

So is it "and's" or "or's"?

With a Tivo and wired internet connection (or wifi) can I record (and actually keep them) shows on my computer?

Do I need capture software? I actually do that now for stuff over the net.

So does Tivo have an ethernet port that I can hook up to my computer? Then what next? Capture software? Or another tuner with my computer? With or without a cable card slot to unencrypt?

What's the simplest way to do this?

Thanks. At least you've got me started to think how I am going to do it.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Already I use mp4 files and mpeg2 and put them on a flash drive and watch some stuff on my blu-ray player that has a USB port. Beside a flash drive, I can also use an external hard drive. And yes, the mpeg2 are very large in size. Typically 4-5 gigs per hour.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 265
You don't need to use a capture card. The TiVo will let you transfer the recordings it makes directly to your PC over your home network, provided that they aren't set to restrict copying. Whether a certain channel refuses to let you copy the recordings you make to a PC depends on your cable company. Most cable companies will at least restrict premium networks like HBO, whereas others will restrict even "basic" cable networks, thus preventing you from archiving any cable content. You're at the mercy of your cable company. If you can provide us with your location and the cable company you use, other people from the same area might be able to give you an idea of which channels' programs you won't be able to archive to your PC.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

I have avoided cable boxes and the cable co. dvr. I have a low def dvr.
What does this mean? Do you mean you are currently using a DVD recorder?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

So is it "and's" or "or's"?

With a Tivo and wired internet connection (or wifi) can I record (and actually keep them) shows on my computer?

Yes, you can, as long as your cable operator doesn't flag everything as "copy once" or "copy never" - most don't, but certain cable operators like Time Warner are particularly bad about that. As Aleron mentioned, if you can point out roughly where you are and what cable operator you're using, someone can probably find out if that will be a concern or not.
Quote:
Do I need capture software? I actually do that now for stuff over the net.

The easiest way to download shows is using kmttg. It will download shows from the TiVo for you, and can automatically use tivodecode to decrypt them while or after it downloads. (The Windows binary of tivodecode can be downloaded here.) Once you download the show, you can either copy it directly to the desired media, or you can use something like Handbrake to transcode it into an MPEG-4 AVC video, which will be more compact and easier to move around.
Quote:
So does Tivo have an ethernet port that I can hook up to my computer? Then what next? Capture software? Or another tuner with my computer? With or without a cable card slot to unencrypt?

Yes, the TiVo has a built-in Ethernet port. It uses it for downloading guide data as well, so when you install it, you'll need to have it hooked up to the Internet anyway. As Aleron also mentioned, you don't need a capture board or anything like that, just the software I mentioned above for downloading and decrypting.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Here's what I do now. I don't have a cable box or a cable dvr. I have my own dvr/dvd player/writer made by Philips or Magnavox (Funai).

Then with basic cable, I get a very few hidef channels (right now they have increased the number of hidef channels--but several months later Cable One is going to encrypt everything).

I have 3 dvr/dvd writers (as mentioned above) and I suspect they will become bricks.

So with a dvd writer, I can record to dvd in lodef.

But sometimes friend give me a hidef file in .mp4, mpeg2, mkv (for example, a recent football/baseball game). Now I don't want to argue copyright law here. No one is selling it, no wide distribution. Not that it makes a difference (although it does to me). I am not sure how they do this. I would rather do it myself. This what I learn how to do for myself particularly when encryption becomes the norm.

Then absolutely no copyright violation (Sony Betamax case).

So then, say with a hidef .mp4, mpeg2, mkv file, I can copy it to a standard data dvd or flash drive and put into a newer blu-ray player with a USB port and play the game in hidef on my flatscreen. I want to do it for myself. I would to keep a program for myself--long term. People today fill up the hard drive of a dvr and they they have to delete stuff. I consider that ridiculous. Why can't I keep something longer? I know Hollywood and the cable cos. don't like that. They don't like time shifting much and they don't like people keeping stuff.

I don't want to get into a copyright discussion.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Here's what I do now. I don't have a cable box or a cable dvr. I have my own dvr/dvd player/writer made by Philips or Magnavox (Funai).

Then with basic cable, I get a very few hidef channels (right now they have increased the number of hidef channels--but several months later Cable One is going to encrypt everything).

I have 3 dvr/dvd writers (as mentioned above) and I suspect they will become bricks.

So with a dvd writer, I can record to dvd in lodef.
If you don't want to use a PC in the process then you could rent the cable co DVR and off-load from the DVR to your DVD recorders for burning to disk and archival storage. See the fuani thread in the DVD recorder forum for a lot of information from people who do it now. Every other choice available to you will involve a PC.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

What does this mean? Do you mean you are currently using a DVD recorder?

Philips and Magnavox DVDR.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475637/are-all-your-qam-channels-scrambled/0_50#post_23510442

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page