598Likes

post #3091 of 6642 Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

I recall, Samsung had some good AV drives before merging with WDC... and a few Hitachi ...

I was under the impression that there was a merger between Hitachi and Samsung but I could be wrong..... (who can keep up with all of these mergers/acquisitions?).
Regardless, Samsung's reputation for hard drives leaves a lot to be desired (from what I've read anyway)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 6642 Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 PM

Is there anybody out there?......

Is this thread undergoing maintenance of some sort?
(since there's been no activity for some time now)
post #3093 of 6642 Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 136
just no more issues ... owners of the DVR enjoying it smile.gif
partsman_ba likes this.
post #3094 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:

just no more issues ... owners of the DVR enjoying it smile.gif

So it's suddenly become an overnight sensation?......
Would either yourself or others please be kind enough to comment and/or make suggestions regarding my post on the previous page (#3090 - regarding alternatives to the questionable "portable" EHD's)......it will be a helpful discussion for others as well.
Thank you!
post #3095 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

As far as delay, that depends on design. When I match my TiVo Roamio against the TV in the kitchen playing directly from the antenna, there is a barely perceptible delay in the Roamio.

It should be noted that anytime I've used two TVs or converter boxes from different manufactures there is a sight delay between the two. I have to assume the difference is in processor speeds. Digital isn't like analog where the analog signal was simply passing through the tuner with no digital decryption going on and therefore no time delay.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #3096 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

I'm curious (since I've personally had no experience with this WD AV drive).....
Using such a drive/enclosure with the DVR+, is it safe to assume that it would require it's own power supply?.....
Yes, it's highly recommended do not to power from DVR.
If so, is there any issue with using a independently powered drive/enclosure with the DVR+ (as opposed to USB powered.....as CM recommends)?.....
No issue, in opposite using DVR powered HDD
Additionally, is it possible for these type of drives/enclosures to spin down ("sleep"/"standby" mode) if the DVR+ isn't in use for a lengthy period of time?.....
I wouldn't recommend employ the feature - so far FW is not checking HDD status and will fail recording if the the drive is spin down
Is there a way of programming the "sleep" function prior to using it with the DVR+?
Yes, just connect to PC and an utility from the mfg's site
One more thing.....would there be any disadvantage in simply using a (pre-fabricated) WD AV external drive (such as the one that's intended to be used with cable company DVR's)?
I would say it's an advantage, but not seen AV-GP drive in ready-to-go enclosures
Sorry if this has been covered already..... but in light of these recent video "glitches", I'm concerned that it may somehow be related to these "portable" drives (although it seems unlikely.....after having the same issues with six of them!).
Thanks!
See answers in BOLD above
post #3097 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would like to know if anyone is successfully using the DVR+ utilizing a two antenna setup because you have towers in separate directions. If so, please share your setup including antennas being used.
post #3098 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman View Post

I would like to know if anyone is successfully using the DVR+ utilizing a two antenna setup because you have towers in separate directions. If so, please share your setup including antennas being used.
there is nothing new, IMO
just use proper combiner device, you can find/build it in Internet or by reading proper AVSforum antenna's forum
post #3099 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:

there is nothing new, IMO
just use proper combiner device, you can find/build it in Internet or by reading proper AVSforum antenna's forum

I am combining an Antennas Direct 91XG and Antennas Direct C2V with this device: http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-customer%20general%20hookup%20Info.pdf

My TV fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3D5b940f11af42d0

I'm asking because I just got the AC7 combiner installed but am experiencing quite a bit of "signal quality" fluctuation on my local ABC stations (KSPR and CW) and as a result some picture and sound issues. I had held onto my unit thinking the combiner would solve the problem but I am still seeing it. Sometimes the signal quality will stay at 100% for a while before the fluctuations start up again.
post #3100 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I would try to eliminate multipath issue (if your signal of the channel normally stay at 80-100 for SS and SQ) by slow rotating particular antenna left/right during these periods of signal's fluctuations
Theducksfan2010 likes this.
post #3101 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have found real world antenna pointing can be many degrees different than what tv fool lists. Even found stations broadcasting from the same mountain can have there best signals many degrees apart. Using a compass to aim is a good starting point, but @P Smith is right: best idea would be to fine tune your antenna during those problem conditions.

Josh
post #3102 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Mulliganman - What single channel are you trying to feed through with the combiner, and did you get the correct combiner for that particular channel?

For most situations, I'd have used a simple two antenna combiner rather than a specialized single channel one.
post #3103 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

Mulliganman - What single channel are you trying to feed through with the combiner, and did you get the correct combiner for that particular channel?

For most situations, I'd have used a simple two antenna combiner rather than a specialized single channel one.

Fox KRBK 49.1 through the combiner. Yes it is the correct combiner for that channel.
post #3104 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

I was under the impression that there was a merger between Hitachi and Samsung but I could be wrong..... (who can keep up with all of these mergers/acquisitions?).
Regardless, Samsung's reputation for hard drives leaves a lot to be desired (from what I've read anyway)!

As I recall, Seagate merged with Samsung. IBM sold it's drive technology to Hitachi which was later acquired by WD. There is a direct linage of the XXXXStar drives from IBM through to WD. Hitachi had it's own AV drive line called CinemaStar (originally from IBM) that seems to be mainly oriented to the commercial security type of DVR systems, it's hard to find someone actually selling them. IBM used HDD technology such as glass platters and ramp loading that made it superior (but more expensive) from a reliability and data density metric from the other guys. AV drives are optimized for streaming video by playing with the internal drive calibration and error correction. They are also designed for cooler operation and 24/7 operation. The smooth streaming features are intended to operate best over SATA (or eSATA) interfaces, I'm not entirely sure how that translates through to a USB protocol conversion but the enhanced reliability is definitely a benefit by itself. WD makes a 2.5 in. AV-GP drive that should complement the DVR+ nicely if you want to make your own. I'm guessing due to the lack of posts that the internal SATA interface is not active. That's too bad.

As an aside, the 610R euro version of the DVR+ had it's own issues with video jitter and audio dropouts that were apparently fixed by firmware updates albeit they use a different front end and encoding scheme.
reacheks likes this.
post #3105 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I would try to eliminate multipath issue (if your signal of the channel normally stay at 80-100 for SS and SQ) by slow rotating particular antenna left/right during these periods of signal's fluctuations

Thanks for the suggestions. I may try it before dumping the unit altogether.

I did get a call from Steven from Channel Master support. He said they do not recommend two antenna systems, so this could be problematic for some potential owners with broadcast towers in different directions. He made mention of using a multidirectional or omnidirectional antenna and adding a preamp.

It is quite frustrating that the DVR+ is having issues with my signals. I held onto my unit hoping that after having the AC7 customized combiner any issues would have disappeared. The Roamio I have is having zero issues with the same signals. Given my TV fool report, does anyone have any suggestions that the DVR+ might play better with:

www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b940f11af42d0%26t%3dALLTV%26n%3d8
post #3106 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post

As an aside, the 610R euro version of the DVR+ had it's own issues with video jitter and audio dropouts that were apparently fixed by firmware updates albeit they use a different front end and encoding scheme.

Thanks for your insight!.....
"610R"?......."euro version"?.......so why isn't this (potentially major) issue being addressed here?.......especially if it can be resolved?
.......rather than have customers returning (potentially many of) their units......
fix the problem!!
post #3107 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

it's HDT-610R, it was referred a few time here...
post #3108 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 PM

FYI.....
I recorded "The Crazy Ones" (CBS 2 - consistently 100% for both SS and SQ). Initially, the playback had (what have become) typical glitches (primarily video "stuttering" or intermittent skips and freezes). At times the playback was normal and at times glitchy but certainly frequent enough to be of concern.....and certainly abnormal!
Just for the heck of it, I decided to start watching it again (after watching "live" TV for a period of time). I accessed it from my list and started playback.
Low and behold.....it was completely normal (start to finish) this time! Not a single imperfection!!
This is not a hard drive issue, nor us it a reception issue (CM has blamed it on either....or both), insofar as I'm concerned!
Any clue as to why this is happening?
......it's sooo frustrating!!!
post #3109 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

test top side of the DVR, is it hot that time when glitching ?
post #3110 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

Not just top side. Check the bottom also.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3111 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:

I've noticed that it gets quite warm in general when it's been powered up for some time (not hot, though).
Ambient temperature is certainly going to influence this though. Temperature in room (approx. 75 degrees) and unit was the same during glitchy playback vs. normal playback.
Interesting.....Are these units overheating?......
Is the operating temperature really relevant?
Just wondering.....if, indeed, temperature is an issue, then perhaps using rubber bumpers on the bottom (to elevate unit) would be helpful (it certainly wouldn't hurt).
If operating temperature were an issue, shouldn't they have provided ventilation slots?
post #3112 of 6642 Old 04-18-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

if you'll look at pictures of open device, you'll see on top of CPU is small flat heat-sink, on top of it a small rectangle piece of soft-gel type layer what should conduct a heat from CPU to top panel; the panel is made as big aluminum heat-sink and a cover same time;
if the 'sandwich' is not correctly assembled then CPU will overheat and become glitchy

bottom cover is not touching anything now; it could dissipate heat from internal HDD though
post #3113 of 6642 Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 AM

@slprp1 I am using a WD Elements 2 TB external USB 2.0 HDD. It has it's own power supply and has performed flawlessly on the DVR+.

A question, are the drives you are using USB powered, or do they have there own power supply?

Josh
post #3114 of 6642 Old 04-19-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

@slprp1
 I am using a WD MyBook 2 TB external USB 2.0 HDD. It has it's own power supply and has performed flawlessly on the DVR+.

A question, are the drives you are using USB powered, or do they have there own power supply?

The ones that I've used are both Seagate and WD USB powered "portable" drives.
Channel Master recommends only the USB powered Seagate. I'm curious as to why you chose the WD "My Book" instead?
Also.....does the WD that you're using spin down after a period of non use?
If not, can it be set to do so?
I realize that some prefer that a drive runs constantly (especially when used in this scenario) but I'm concerned about these "portable" drives, since there really not designed for 24/7 use and aren't as reliable (long term) as the full size models.
The Seagate will run 24/7 whereas the WD "sleeps" after 30 mins. (This appears to be the default setting right out of the box). I understand that the Seagate can be set to "sleep" as well but haven't attempted to change the setting.
There have been no issues whatsoever with the WD "waking up" to make recordings, so this might contradict the theory that's it's better for a DVR+ drive to run constantly.
post #3115 of 6642 Old 04-19-2014, 03:20 AM

The Seagate I bought for it died within 3 days, so dead that even using Linux,the drive was undetectable. I had the WD sitting around, so I transferred everything off of it and gave it a try. Very, very pleased with it.

You might want to try a drive that is Not USB powered.

Yes, the WD automatically "hibernates" out of the box after a preset period of inactivity (no power button). It has performed very well, no problems with it "spinning" up even with the DVR+ in standby for scheduled recordings.
osu1991 likes this.

Josh
post #3116 of 6642 Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I am using a WD MyBook 2 TB external USB 2.0 HDD. It has it's own power supply and has performed flawlessly on the DVR+.

I'm new to this forum.  Just recently decided to cut the cord with my cable company and go to OTA TV.  My reception is great, but I miss the DVR.  So I've been checking out this forum as I've been looking at getting a OTA DVR.

I really want to record two OTA programs as once, so the Channel Master DVR+ came to my attention.

I have a WD My Book and was planning on using it with the DVR+ but was a little concerned that CM had 3 Seagate (and only 3) HDD's recommended.  So your post about using your WD MyBook caught my attention.

What model specifically are you using?

Mine is a 1TB #WDBABT0010HBK-NESN.  I'm wondering if you have the same model and only the size is different.

Thanks.

post #3117 of 6642 Old 04-19-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I also have a WD My Book but I don't know the model.  It works great with the DVR+.

post #3118 of 6642 Old 04-19-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2NV View Post

...Mine is a 1TB #WDBABT0010HBK-NESN.  I'm wondering if you have the same model and only the size is different....
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankkasten View Post

I also have a WD My Book but I don't know the model. It works great with the DVR+.
you'll need obtain exactly model by connecting to Windows/Linux/OSX PC; LA2NV,your number is marketing ID, not the drive exactly
post #3119 of 6642 Old 04-19-2014, 11:23 AM

My HDD model is Western Digital Elements HDD 1021 2TB

@slprp1

Josh
post #3120 of 6642 Old 04-19-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

My HDD model is Western Digital Elements HDD 1021 2TB

@slprp1
Originally you described it as a WD "My Book", not an "Elements". Is this a "portable" drive or a full size drive?.....
I would also be curious as to exactly how long it takes for the drive to "sleep" after you've powered off the DVR+ (or after it finished making the the last recording). Please time it.
Thanks!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page