Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3121 of 9203 Old 04-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 57
@slprp1 I googled a number on the bottom came up with MyBook.

It is an Elements, went into the DVR+ menus to get the exact correct info for you (what you quoted above). It's a full size drive, powered, not a small portable

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 9203 Old 04-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

@slprp1 I googled a number on the bottom came up with MyBook.

It is an Elements, went into the DVR+ menus to get the exact correct info for you (what you quoted above). It's a full size drive, powered, not a small portable

Thanks!.....
If you can, please note how long it takes to "sleep" after recordings have stopped.
You stated that it "hibernates" (right out of the box), so I'm assuming that you didn't make any changes in the settings.
post #3123 of 9203 Old 04-19-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

This has probably been covered already.....
Is it safe to assume that you tried disconnecting one of the two antennas?......
and then reporting your findings to CM?

I think that it's safe to assume that CM will automatically blame issues on antennas (and related equipment), hard drives, etc.
......rather than admit that there are inherent problems with the DVR+!!.....

Assuming that your DVR+ is older than 30 days, have you at least asked them if they would accommodate you with a refund (assuming that you initiated your complaints within the first 30 days)?......
It's certainly worth a try!

I already tried it myself on a 91XG and had more problematic channels than just ABC and it sub-station. I don't remember the results of just my C2V. It doesn't really matter because the C2V isn't able to pick up Fox. I don't really want to disconnect the two at this point because the customized AC7 combiner I purchased was rather expensive. http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-customer%20general%20hookup%20Info.pdf
post #3124 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

test top side of the DVR, is it hot that time when glitching ?

Happy Easter to all!.....
For the record.....
The video glitches occurred this morning almost immediately upon playback.
Unit was cool, as it had not been used for many hours and had just been powered up.
......so much for the heat theory!
post #3125 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

For the record.....
Unit was cool, as it had not been used for many hours and had just been powered up.
then in your case it is not; remove external HDD, run it from internal storage for a couple days
post #3126 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Thanks!.....
If you can, please note how long it takes to "sleep" after recordings have stopped.
You stated that it "hibernates" (right out of the box), so I'm assuming that you didn't make any changes in the settings.
Quote:

For the record.....

So you are blaming the DVR+ for glitchy recordings when you have reception problems with your antenna/location?

They can hardly help you with this problem if that is in fact the issue.
post #3127 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

So you are blaming the DVR+ for glitchy recordings when you have reception problems with your antenna/location?

if it's true, then we've been leading to wrong path frown.gif
post #3128 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:

Did I miss something? Where do you see that he has reception problems?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3129 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This is what slprp1 is talking about. I have the same issue after upgrading to 103r.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU
post #3130 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is a shame but It looks like the whole add-your-own-size USB external drive concept is going to bite them in the butt. From everything I have read this looks to be a transfer problem from the external HDD and inadequate buffering. The execution of that hardware interface doesn't appear to be robust enough to handle a wide variety of USB HDD's the way a PC can. Hopefully it is in fact a poor firmware issue and not crummy USB hardware. In any case, I'm starting to agree with others that the unit should have come with its own internal HDD with the option to add an external -- and that external interface should have been eSATA not USB. TiVo got this one right from the beginning.

The next firmware update has been advanced to 106R and supposedly should be out soon. If I were on the fence with this unit, I would wait until these issues were resolved before buying it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3131 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

... The execution of that hardware interface doesn't appear to be robust enough to handle a wide variety of USB HDD's the way a PC can. Hopefully it is in fact a poor firmware issue and not crummy USB hardware. In any case, I'm starting to agree with others that the unit should have come with its own internal HDD with the option to add an external -- and that external interface should have been eSATA not USB. TiVo got this one right from the beginning.

... If I were on the fence with this unit, I would wait until these issues were resolved before buying it.

You are describing me exactly. I've been checking out this forum to help me decide on whether to bite the bullet and get this DVR. After reading of some performance issues on Amazon, I decided to check out AVS forum and see what I could find out. My concerns where primarily around the performance noted here by some and that there was no internal HDD (at least to speak of beyond the 16GB).

Also considering this is a very newly designed and manufactured device, I thought it strange that the external HDD interface wasn't eSATA (or USB 3.0). So I've been watching to see how things improved as new firmware came out. But firmware can only do so much if the hardware part is letting things down.

I've pretty much decided to hold off at this point.  I'm hoping the firmware updates do the trick, because I really like the concept and DM seems to be the only one out their offering all the features I'm looking for (and with no subscription required).

Considering how new this product is, I just don't understand why they didn't use eSATA right off the bat.

post #3132 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

1st, this is not new, its original model HDT-610R exist at least two years, so count another 2-3 for design ..
2nd, USB 2.0 is good enough to handle one or two HD stream, see how e* sat ViP DVRs using EHD for play, and 411//211 IRD use it as system drive
3rd, eSATA would be best, I'm agree, but from marketing perspective, EHD with USB 2.0 is more widely available
4th, same for USB 3.0
5th, the CPU [SoC] doesn't support USB 3.0 and has one SATA port - should use it for internal HDD as HDT-610R
post #3133 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Did I miss something? Where do you see that he has reception problems?

Thank you, Kelson!.....
I didn't state that I had reception problems!!
.....in fact, I recently specified that my signal was 100/100 for the specific recording that was glitchy!......
I'm approx.10 miles from the source (Empire State Building) with a CM combination antenna pointed right at it!.....
could it be too strong a signal?......
shouldn't the DVR+ have some latitude (if, indeed strong signal is potentially an issue)?......
As I've stated before, if it's really that picky about reception (too strong....too weak....has to be just so!), then the unit will alienate far too many people!!
post #3134 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:

How did you interpreted my statements as reception related problems?......
By no stretch of the imagination did I indicate that!!
post #3135 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2NV View Post

You are describing me exactly. I've been checking out this forum to help me decide on whether to bite the bullet and get this DVR. After reading of some performance issues on Amazon, I decided to check out AVS forum and see what I could find out. My concerns where primarily around the performance noted here by some and that there was no internal HDD (at least to speak of beyond the 16GB).

Also considering this is a very newly designed and manufactured device, I thought it strange that the external HDD interface wasn't eSATA (or USB 3.0). So I've been watching to see how things improved as new firmware came out. But firmware can only do so much if the hardware part is letting things down.

I've pretty much decided to hold off at this point.  I'm hoping the firmware updates do the trick, because I really like the concept and DM seems to be the only one out their offering all the features I'm looking for (and with no subscription required).

Considering how new this product is, I just don't understand why they didn't use eSATA right off the bat.

Good points!.....
However, it seems very likely that they wanted these units to mate with the cheaper, cuter "portable" drives and it's also likely that they were able to offer the Seagate "portable" drives based upon a "deal" that they made with Seagate (profits vs. quality being the bottom line!!). Therefore, e-sata was never even a consideration (since it serves no purpose with these particular Seagate drives).
As it's been stated many times (not just my opinion).....they blew it!.....these units should have had built in drives (like the euro version) with the option of expansion (and perhaps
e-sata)!....
Poor design is coming back to haunt them.....and really agitate their customers!!
post #3136 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.....these units should have had built in drives!.....poor design is coming back to haunt them.....and really agitate their customers!!
the design is good enough of original box [-610R] but someone in US HQ did decide to remove the drive when eventually changed tuners from DVB-T2 to 8VSB type for US model [K77] frown.gif
post #3137 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:

the design is good enough of original box [-610R] but someone in US HQ did decide to remove the drive when eventually changed tuners from DVB-T2 to 8VSB type for US model [K77] frown.gif

Foolish move!!
post #3138 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:

if it's true, then we've been leading to wrong path frown.gif

Not true!.....no reception problems!
post #3139 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:

then in your case it is not; remove external HDD, run it from internal storage for a couple days

Seems pointless!.....
If the unit can't function properly with a (recommended, no less) external drive.....
Then it's "back to the drawing board"!!
post #3140 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:

This is a shame but It looks like the whole add-your-own-size USB external drive concept is going to bite them in the butt. From everything I have read this looks to be a transfer problem from the external HDD and inadequate buffering. The execution of that hardware interface doesn't appear to be robust enough to handle a wide variety of USB HDD's the way a PC can. Hopefully it is in fact a poor firmware issue and not crummy USB hardware. In any case, I'm starting to agree with others that the unit should have come with its own internal HDD with the option to add an external -- and that external interface should have been eSATA not USB. TiVo got this one right from the beginning.

The next firmware update has been advanced to 106R and supposedly should be out soon. If I were on the fence with this unit, I would wait until these issues were resolved before buying it.

I sincerely hope that "106R" doesn't do more harm than good!!
post #3141 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems pointless!.....
If the unit can't function properly with a (recommended, no less) external drive.....
calm down ... it's a test proposed .. to see if your drives+enclosures are not in par with the DVR
osu1991 likes this.
post #3142 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Seems pointless!.....

Quote:

calm down ... it's a test proposed .. to see if your drives+enclosures are not in par with the DVR

I second the suggestion. Divide and conquer to trace the root of the problem.

- kelson h

post #3143 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:

I'm not opposed to being a pseudo "beta tester" (since, even with all of my complaints.....I still think that these units have some potential)..... but let me remind you that these glitches have occurred on two units with a total of six hard drives (four of them the recommended Seagates)......
It reaches a point of utter frustration with this unit.....and sheer exhaustion!!
post #3144 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Besides.....shouldn't CM be tracing the root of the problem (since I'm one of many experiencing these glitches)?......
Is it even a consideration at this point?.....or will we be left to suffer.....beyond 106R?
post #3145 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I was reunited with my DVR+ this Easter Sunday as I visited my in-laws for the first time since gifting the DVR to them. I was pleased to see both individual and series recordings on the DVR. There happened to be another cable cutter in the room. He was blown away by the guide.
post #3146 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Does the TIVO Roamio with 4 tuners support OTA? I was of the belief that it did not support OTA which is the whole purpose of developing the CM DVR+..

post #3147 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfitztx View Post

Does the TIVO Roamio with 4 tuners support OTA? I was of the belief that it did not support OTA which is the whole purpose of developing the CM DVR+..

Yes...

https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio
post #3148 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 08:28 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:

Here is a lovely thread all about the Roamio. This thread, on the other hand, is about the DVR+. Don't worry - it's a common mistake around here, not limited to newbies.
kwg likes this.

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #3149 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not opposed to being a pseudo "beta tester" (since, even with all of my complaints.....I still think that these units have some potential)..... but let me remind you that these glitches have occurred on two units with a total of six hard drives (four of them the recommended Seagates)......
It reaches a point of utter frustration with this unit.....and sheer exhaustion!!

Quote:

Besides.....shouldn't CM be tracing the root of the problem (since I'm one of many experiencing these glitches)?......
Is it even a consideration at this point?.....or will we be left to suffer.....beyond 106R?
Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
wizwor likes this.

- kelson h

post #3150 of 9203 Old 04-20-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There are a number of DVR options that support OTA. They range from very cheap and limited functionality (iView / Homeworx) to more expensive and full-featured (TiVo). The DVR+ was designed to be a mid-range DVR in both price and feature set.
Theducksfan2010 and SirCrow like this.

- kelson h

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page