post #3151 of 4528 Old 04-20-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
exACTLY!
why not try 'driverles's config ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 4528 Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

I'm not opposed to being a pseudo "beta tester" (since, even with all of my complaints.....I still think that these units have some potential)..... but let me remind you that these glitches have occurred on two units with a total of six hard drives (four of them the recommended Seagates)......
It reaches a point of utter frustration with this unit.....and sheer exhaustion!!

I still think you should try a full sized externally powered (NOT USB powered) HDD. Of all the issues I have with my DVR+, stuttering, audio/video problems have Never been one. I would lean more on the DVR+ not being the source of the problem, but the USB powered portable drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Channel Master recommends only the USB powered Seagate. 

I'm not sure where you get this, below is the link to the CM recommend drive...

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/expansion-hard-drive/?sku=STBV3000100

What's in the box

• Expansion external hard drive
  • USB 3.0 cable or USB 2.0 cable
  • Power adapter
  • Quick start guide
  • 1-year limited warranty

As you can see, it is NOT USB powered, as it comes with and requires it's own power adapter.

Do you have one (not USB powered) you can try, to see if it is the problem?

Kelson and osu1991 like this.

Josh
post #3153 of 4528 Old 04-20-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HAVE I BEEN STABBED IN THE BACK!? How did 103R get installed on my DVR+?

I don't mean to shout (perhaps I do), but I suddenly started missing the first five or six minutes of recorded programs. Searching in frustration in my settings, I discovered that the software version is now mysteriously 103R.

Also, in the "Date and Time" setting the time is now six minutes slow. (I can't figure out how to correct the time manually. It's set for "Auto.")

As those of you regularly reading this forum might remember, I have been defending the DVR+ because it was working almost perfectly for me.

Also, I've written that I was holding off installing 103R, because I didn't want to risk spoiling a good thing.

(a) Did I inadvertently install 103R in my frustration to get rid of those frequent large reminders that a newer version of the software was available? (I've been hitting cancel as fast as I can.)

(b) Did Channel Master take it upon themselves to "upgrade" the software for me? (If so, I may be joining those cursing CM.)

(c) Can I go back to 101R? (I'm quite sure this has been answered: NO.)

Help rescue a defender of the DVR+ (perhaps an endangered species).

--DawnSun

DawnSun
post #3154 of 4528 Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

I don't mean to shout (perhaps I do), but I suddenly started missing the first five or six minutes of recorded programs. Searching in frustration in my settings, I discovered that the software version is now mysteriously 103R.

Also, in the "Date and Time" setting the time is now six minutes slow. (I can't figure out how to correct the time manually. It's set for "Auto.")

As those of you regularly reading this forum might remember, I have been defending the DVR+ because it was working almost perfectly for me.

Also, I've written that I was holding off installing 103R, because I didn't want to risk spoiling a good thing.

(a) Did I inadvertently install 103R in my frustration to get rid of those frequent large reminders that a newer version of the software was available? (I've been hitting cancel as fast as I can.)

(b) Did Channel Master take it upon themselves to "upgrade" the software for me? (If so, I may be joining those cursing CM.)

--DawnSun

This exact thing happened to me several weeks ago....
I was holding on to 101 for dear life, as I wasn't ready to trust 103 (especially as CM was being so mysterious about it)!
The warning came up one night and it immediately downloaded the software.....without my confirmation!!
In fact (as someone else stated here)....it's quite possible that the video glitches that I (and others) have been experiencing may have actually started as a result of 103!!.....since I don't recall ever seeing them prior to the forced......"upgrade"?......no evidence whatsoever of it actually being an "upgrade"!!
.....BTW, is CM still being suspiciously mysterious about version 103?......Hmmm?
.....it's too bad that our connections didn't fail (when we really needed them to)!

Insofar as the time issue is concerned.....(in my case at least).....On "auto" it's been accurate.
Initially, I set it up on "manual" and it was off consistently.....I have no clue as to why!
.....wish I could be of more help with this issue.....anyone have advice regarding the time glitches?
post #3155 of 4528 Old 04-20-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

exACTLY!
why not try 'driverles's config ?

P Smith:
With all due respect.....please pay closer attention to your typing (as it's often difficult to understand what your trying to say!.....Thanks!

As to your question.....I always need to record for longer than two hours daily, so I never even considered this an option.
In addition, the glitches can be intermittent, so recording for two hours internally may not disclose anything.
.......I'll give it a try when I can work it out where I can record for a short period of time.......then check the entire two hours (as it tends to be intermittent).......then re-attach the EHD and resume normal recording......
It's not as simple and easy as it sounds to be a pseudo "beta-tester".....especially with a busy schedule!
.....perhaps others here can attempt this as well (and possibly sooner than I can)......there's no harm in multiple experiments!
post #3156 of 4528 Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

I still think you should try a full sized externally powered (NOT USB powered) HDD. Of all the issues I have with my DVR+, stuttering, audio/video problems have Never been one. I would lean more on the DVR+ not being the source of the problem, but the USB powered portable drive.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/expansion-hard-drive/?sku=STBV3000100

What's in the box

[*] Expansion external hard drive
[*] USB 3.0 cable or USB 2.0 cable
[*] Power adapter
[*] Quick start guide
[*] 1-year limited warranty

As you can see, it is NOT USB powered, as it comes with and requires it's own power adapter.

They originally (and last time I checked) were recommending only the Seagate portable expansion drives (all USB powered).
The drive that you mention above appears to be a recent addition......interesting!.....
this could simply reflect an availability problem.....however.....they still recommend (and/or sell) the Seagate 1 TB expansion drive (USB powered).....it's a bit confusing as to why they now recommend both types of drives (USB powered and externally powered).
......any thoughts from anyone on this?
post #3157 of 4528 Old 04-20-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

They originally (and last time I checked) were recommending only the Seagate portable expansion drives (all USB powered).
The drive that you mention above appears to be a recent addition......interesting!.....
this could simply reflect an availability problem.....however.....they still recommend (and/or sell) the Seagate 1 TB expansion drive (USB powered).....it's a bit confusing as to why they now recommend both types of drives (USB powered and externally powered).
......any thoughts from anyone on this?

I pulled the link off their site tonight http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_Plus_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?gclid=CJDQ5an-8L0CFZWSfgodf3QA-A.

Maybe they are noticing that powered HDD's have less problems???

Josh
post #3158 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:

I pulled the link off their site tonight http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_Plus_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?gclid=CJDQ5an-8L0CFZWSfgodf3QA-A.

Maybe they are noticing that powered HDD's have less problems???

Not sure about that.....as I stated, it could simply be an availability.....or profit issue.
Consider the fact that theyre still recommending/selling the USB powered drive as well!
post #3159 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 AM

Curious.....
Has anyone tested an HDMI to either S-Video or RCA video/audio converter box with the DVR+?
I'm wondering if this would be an alternative for copying shows to a standalone DVD recorder.....
as opposed to going through the process of migrating files on a PC.
I realize that it's SD video but it may be a useful option to consider!
Any thoughts?......
post #3160 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If it's difficult to avoid a buggy software update, why not disconnect the DVR's Internet access until a better firmware is available? Surely a limited PSIP guide is better than an Internet guide combined with a firmware that makes recording and watching your programs unreliable. It won't help anyone who's already been suckered into updating, but it might help the few who still have 101R and want to keep it.
post #3161 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

--DawnSun

DawnSun,

I too was having problems with the time being about 5 minutes behind, regardless of the time setting (automatic versus manual).  I contacted support.  Their response was "The time comes from the broadcaster and so what is happening is the time that is being broadcasted is off when it comes to the software on the DVR+. To help this you can try and change the zip code on your DVR+ settings and then rescan the channel. I would suggest using the zip code nearest the broadcast towers."  I didn't bother resetting the ZIP code since I'm rather close to the towers anyways.  However, a rescan of the channels fixed the problem for me.  FYI, if you change the ZIP code, the DVR+ will erase and re-download the electronic guide listings.  Not a problem, just thought I'd give you a head's up.  The good news is that the DVR+ will remember any scheduled recordings you've set up.

As to the firmware update, I too have been frantically hitting "Cancel" on those annoying "nagware" update notices.  :eek:  Just a thought - Have you tried contacting support to see if they can make the 101R firmware available for you?

post #3162 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Curious.....
Has anyone tested an HDMI to either S-Video or RCA video/audio converter box with the DVR+?
I'm wondering if this would be an alternative for copying shows to a standalone DVD recorder.....
as opposed to going through the process of migrating files on a PC.
I realize that it's SD video but it may be a useful option to consider!
Any thoughts?......

I've used such devices and unless you have a small 13" SD tube TV I don't think you'd be happy with the picture quality. None that I tested equaled native SD(even composite let alone S-video) resolution lacked and black level was elevated. While those devices do what they are advertised as doing(convert HD HDMI to SD composite or S-video) they do a rather poor job of it. Lack of a native SD output is what held me back from ever seriously considering a DVR+ which is really shortsighted on CMs part as adding such a output couldn't have cost more than a dollar or two :confused:

post #3163 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

What's in the box

[*] Expansion external hard drive
[*] USB 3.0 cable or USB 2.0 cable
[*] Power adapter
[*] Quick start guide
[*] 1-year limited warranty

While I agree with your suggestion to try an external HDD with it's own power supply, the 1TB disk sold by CM (STBX1000101) is USB powered. Only the 3TB disk has it's own power adapter.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3164 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:

While I agree with your suggestion to try an external HDD with it's own power supply, the 1TB disk sold by CM (STBX1000101) is USB powered. Only the 3TB disk has it's own power adapter.

As I stated earlier, it's more likely that it's a availability and/or profitability issue with CM.
If they suddenly discontinue and/or stop recommending/selling the USB powered drive, it could be interpreted as an admission.
They're not about to recall all of the drives that they've sold.....and have to deal with the potential grief from all of the DVR+ users that took their advice and then purchased the USB powered Seagate elsewhere!
Perhaps "Theducksfan2010" got lucky with his unit!
......Besides, I truly don't think that it's the EHD.....if it were, why is it that a new recording (or even the same exact recording) in the same exact location on the drive can be perfectly OK at times?......Perhaps I'm wrong but if the drive itself were at fault, why are these glitches intermittent (in the same exact location) vs. consistent?
From my point of view, these glitches are being caused by an intermittent problem in the circuitry of the DVR+.
Perhaps we need to stop focusing so much attention on the drives.....as CM could potentially exploit this and lose sight of the fact that it's more likely a problem with the units vs. the drives!
post #3165 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Lack of a native SD output is what held me back from ever seriously considering a DVR+ which is really shortsighted on CMs part as adding such a output couldn't have cost more than a dollar or two confused.gif
Oh, I would think it would cost quite a bit more than just a dollar or two. The unit is entirely digital, designed for use with HDTV's which are also digital. It only receives digital ATSC, stores digital, and outputs digital -- there are no analog input or output stages. So, to provide composite output wold cost more than a simple set of connectors. They would have to build in a whole analog output stage with DAC's etc. It doesn't make sense to bear that cost for a device that is not designed to service antique displays.

I can't call it short-sighted, it is just going with the trend. Analog is dead, it died years ago even before the DTV transition. Analog support for new devices has been gradually phased out and we are just reaching the end of the road. Sorry, but analog input devices like CRT's and DVD Recorders are electronic antiques.
osu1991 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3166 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I've used such devices and unless you have a small 13" SD tube TV I don't think you'd be happy with the picture quality. None that I tested equaled native SD(even composite let alone S-video) resolution lacked and black level was elevated. While those devices do what they are advertised as doing(convert HD HDMI to SD composite or S-video) they do a rather poor job of it. Lack of a native SD output is what held me back from ever seriously considering a DVR+ which is really shortsighted on CMs part as adding such a output couldn't have cost more than a dollar or two confused.gif

Thanks for the (albeit disappointing) advice!.....
I had a sense that these devices were inferior, as they're all from obscure companies!
Since the broadcaster friendly approach is to discourage people from archiving recordings (hence the disappearance of standalone DVD recorders), it doesn't surprise me in the least that CM ignored adding analog outputs!
Just curious.....how many of these devices have you tested and which ones?
It's hard (but not impossible) to believe that they're all that bad!
post #3167 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I stated earlier, it's more likely that it's a availability and/or profitability issue with CM.
No, it's an electronic thing. USB powered drives are 2.5" low-power laptop drives. 1TB is very common size but there are also some 2TB models on the market. 3TB drives are 3.5" and all require more power than a typical USB port can supply so they are externally powered.
Quote:
From my point of view, these glitches are being caused by an intermittent problem in the circuitry of the DVR+.
Which is what I've already stated. A good possibility is inadequate power for a USB powered HDD that could cause intermittent buffer issues.

What is more important to you? Taking steps to try and rectify your problems to attain a satisfactorily functioning DVR+ or continuing to endlessly post the same problem and criticisms over and over and over. People lose interest in trying to help when the recipient resists spending some time to help themselves.

Light the candle -- stop cursing the darkness.
osu1991 and mulliganman like this.

- kelson h

post #3168 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:

No, it's an electronic thing. USB powered drives are 2.5" low-power laptop drives. 1TB is very common size but there are also some 2TB models on the market. 3TB drives are 3.5" and all require more power than a typical USB port can supply so they are externally powered.
Which is what I've already stated. A good possibility is inadequate power for a USB powered HDD that could cause intermittent buffer issues.

What is more important to you? Taking steps to try and rectify your problems to attain a satisfactorily functioning DVR+ or continuing to endlessly post the same problem and criticisms over and over and over. People lose interest in trying to help when the recipient resists spending some time to help themselves.

Light the candle -- stop cursing the darkness.
"Resists spending some time to help themselves"?....what forum are you reading?
With all due respect (and I've complimented you previously)......you're being overly and inappropriately critical at this point!.....
I've lit numerous candles (read my previous posts prior to making impulsive remarks)!
I've spent many hours doing detective work.....to try to determine what's going on with this problem!
I've tested both mine and a friend's unit out thoroughly with six EHD's!.....over and over and over again.....to the point of exhaustion!.....please get your facts straight!
......and I'm being appropriately negative, since this unit has caused me (and others) far more grief than it should!!....sorry to say!!
post #3169 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 AM

In addition.....
I don't have a money tree nor do I relish the idea of purchasing and returning numerous hard drives!.....unless of course Channel Master is going to foot the bill!.....
It's easy to sit there and delegate!.....
where's your role in this?
Besides.....just how much if this is our responsibility?
post #3170 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

--DawnSun
I did that once, just use a USB stick with old FW, it should works
post #3171 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've tested both mine and a friend's unit out thoroughly with six EHD's!.....over and over and over again.....to the point of exhaustion!.....please get your facts straight!
technical question - are all the six(!) HDD USB powered ?
post #3172 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
In my case I am using an external POWERED 3.5 7200rpm Seagate hard drive and as I stated before after upgrading to 103r I now have the glitches that slprp1 is talking about and as seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU
Paul210 and pachinko like this.
post #3173 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, I would think it would cost quite a bit more than just a dollar or two. The unit is entirely digital, designed for use with HDTV's which are also digital. It only receives digital ATSC, stores digital, and outputs digital -- there are no analog input or output stages. So, to provide composite output wold cost more than a simple set of connectors. They would have to build in a whole analog output stage with DAC's etc. It doesn't make sense to bear that cost for a device that is not designed to service antique displays.

I can't call it short-sighted, it is just going with the trend. Analog is dead, it died years ago even before the DTV transition. Analog support for new devices has been gradually phased out and we are just reaching the end of the road. Sorry, but analog input devices like CRT's and DVD Recorders are electronic antiques.
well, for sure latest Broadcom chips [SoC] do have internal circuitry to provide S-VHS and Composite signal with very few additional components include the connectors ... we can't get the DVR's CPU specs to prove/disprove, but many similar chips has it; so technically it wouldn't be hard to employ, the main problem is no space on back plate for the connectors, duh !
post #3174 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

In my case I am using an external POWERED 3.5 7200rpm Seagate hard drive and as I stated before after upgrading to 103r I now have the glitches that slprp1 is talking about and as seen here.

bummer ! frown.gif lets wait for 106R ...
post #3175 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well, for sure latest Broadcom chips [SoC] do have internal circuitry to provide S-VHS and Composite signal with very few additional components include the connectors ... we can't get the DVR's CPU specs to prove/disprove, but many similar chips has it; so technically it wouldn't be hard to employ, the main problem is no space on back plate for the connectors, duh !
OK, I'll concede that because I also don't know the specs. of the chip they use.

But still. Analog is dead -- not just dieing but dead -- why perpetuate its memory in hardware.

- kelson h

post #3176 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyone out there who is using their DVR+ without an Internet connection and is using strictly PSIP for their guide?

- kelson h

post #3177 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I did that once, just use a USB stick with old FW, it should works

Do you know if the 101R firmware available somewhere?  If so, where?  I'd be interested in downloading it, to have around, just in case.

post #3178 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just for some additional information regarding using a USB 3.0 powered HDD drive from a USB 2.0 port - my iomega portable 1.0 TB worked intermittently from my laptop USB 2.0 port. Contacting c.s. resulted in info. that the 2.0 USB ports only supply 500ma of current whereas 3.0 ports supply 1A. A USB 'Y' cable was required to tap the power lines of two USB 2.0 ports to the single USB 3.0 HDD port in order to supply adequate power to this external USB powered device. Acquiring this 'Y' USB cable solved my problem and have not had any problems since.
post #3179 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:

technical question - are all the six(!) HDD USB powered ?

As I've stated numerous times previously.....yes!
Take into consideration that CM recommended USB powered drives from the outset......and still does!
.....if the DVR+ is unstable with these type of drives, then they have a very serious problem on their hands!!
post #3180 of 4528 Old 04-21-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

Thank you!.....again!
I suppose that (certain) individuals need to pay closer attention to these posts.....
Too much repetition!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page