562Likes

post #3181 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

bummer ! frown.gif lets wait for 106R ...

.....not if this particular problem isn't being addressed in 106R!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I've used such devices and unless you have a small 13" SD tube TV I don't think you'd be happy with the picture quality. None that I tested equaled native SD(even composite let alone S-video) resolution lacked and black level was elevated. While those devices do what they are advertised as doing(convert HD HDMI to SD composite or S-video) they do a rather poor job of it.

Thanks for the (albeit disappointing) advice!.....
I had a sense that these devices were inferior, as they're all from obscure companies!
Just curious.....how many of these devices have you tested and which ones?
It's hard (but not impossible) to believe that they're all that bad!

I've tried Lenkeng which outsources for many companies, Atlona and Monoprice(Lenkeng clone) and wasn't satisfied with any. In the end I ended up keeping a Lenkeng clone and while I'm not really satisfied with it's picture quality for the $30 I paid for it I figured it would give me options for HDMI only devices or devices that letterbox SD outputs but not HDMI outputs. My Nikon camera is one such device, while it has composite and HDMI outputs only the HDMI output is full screen 16:9, the composite output is 4:3 letterboxed :mad:

I've been told HD Fury makes a higher quality converter but no way I'm going to pay $300 for a converter to use on a $299 device :rolleyes:

post #3183 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've used such devices and unless you have a small 13" SD tube TV I don't think you'd be happy with the picture quality. None that I tested equaled native SD(even composite let alone S-video) resolution lacked and black level was elevated. While those devices do what they are advertised as doing(convert HD HDMI to SD composite or S-video) they do a rather poor job of it.
Thanks for the (albeit disappointing) advice!.....
I had a sense that these devices were inferior, as they're all from obscure companies!
Just curious.....how many of these devices have you tested and which ones?
It's hard (but not impossible) to believe that they're all that bad!

I've tried Lenkeng which outsources for many companies, Atlona and Monoprice(Lenkeng clone) and wasn't satisfied with any. In the end I ended up keeping a Lenkeng clone and while I'm not really satisfied with it's picture quality for the $30 I paid for it I figured it would give me options for HDMI only devices or devices that letterbox SD outputs but not HDMI outputs. My Nikon camera is one such device, while it has composite and HDMI outputs only the HDMI output is full screen 16:9, the composite output is 4:3 letterboxed :mad:

I've been told HD Fury makes a higher quality converter but no way I'm going to pay $300 for a converter to use on a $299 device :rolleyes:

My experience with low-cost converters.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #3184 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

[URL=http://www.avsforum.com/avs-
vb/showpost.php?p=20556041]My experience with low-cost converters[/URL]

Thanks!.....
Discouraging......but I'm not at all surprised!
post #3185 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thank you, Kelson!.....
I didn't state that I had reception problems!!
.....in fact, I recently specified that my signal was 100/100 for the specific recording that was glitchy!......
I'm approx.10 miles from the source (Empire State Building) with a CM combination antenna pointed right at it!.....
could it be too strong a signal?......
shouldn't the DVR+ have some latitude (if, indeed strong signal is potentially an issue)?......
As I've stated before, if it's really that picky about reception (too strong....too weak....has to be just so!), then the unit will alienate far too many people!!

When you say combination antenna what do you mean? Two antennas combined or a VHF/UHF single antenna?
post #3186 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

No, it's an electronic thing. USB powered drives are 2.5" low-power laptop drives. 1TB is very common size but there are also some 2TB models on the market. 3TB drives are 3.5" and all require more power than a typical USB port can supply so they are externally powered.
Which is what I've already stated. A good possibility is inadequate power for a USB powered HDD that could cause intermittent buffer issues.

What is more important to you? Taking steps to try and rectify your problems to attain a satisfactorily functioning DVR+ or continuing to endlessly post the same problem and criticisms over and over and over. People lose interest in trying to help when the recipient resists spending some time to help themselves.

Light the candle -- stop cursing the darkness.

AMEN to that!!!!
osu1991 likes this.
post #3187 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
my stuttering and freeze during playback issues began with fw upgrade. I've posted many times already, when this was not hot topic. And of course CM said they had not heard of it....and asked me to keep track of which channel was being recorded.

But to summarize once again, when I replaced the SG 3TB HDD, trouble ceased and all has been fine for over a month.
There is a slight drop audio out at times during normal live viewing, but not too bothersome. And if playback, the audio dropout doesn't exist.

My gut feeling is.....the HDD drive probably didn't need to be replaced, but something in the act of replacing it, caused things to sync up.

Hypothesis is that, during the FW upgrade, I was forced to use mem stick. I unplugged the HDD to insert the stick. (probably while both devices powered up, because instructions said to upgrade with device turned on. Unplugging the HDD just before the upgrade, in my opinion caused the freezing. Did not RE format drive, just returned it to costco for another.

I also have a SG 1TB in the wings, should I need to use it at some point.

I've learned my lesson not to unplug the HDD USB while everything powered.
Next FW upgrade, I will unplug the wifi adaptor instead.....who knows what headache that will bring.
post #3188 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM

Since the thread looks like it could use a positive experience, I'll share. Some of you may know I have been having reception issues on my local ABC and its sub-channel. My setup is a two antenna setup. I have an Antennas Direct C2V pointed toward all towers except Fox (it is in a completely different direction). I am using an Antennas Direct 91XG to pull in Fox. I just recently had both antennas combined using this custom combiner: http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-customer%20general%20hookup%20Info.pdf

The combined output ran to a Channel Master 3414 http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Antenna_Cable_TV_Amplifier_p/cm-3414.htm Then that is ran out to 3 TV's.

I had held onto my unit despite getting an RMA while still within the 30 day return period hoping that the AC7 combiner would solve my isssues. Much to my dismay, it didn't help. I contacted support and they had suggested moving one of the antennas a few feet away or adding an amp (even though Steven admitted that Channel Master does not recommend using two antennas with the DVR+). I really didn't know what to make of that suggestion since the Tivo Roamio I have hooked up was not having any of the same problems the DVR+ had with the same setup. I sought help in the antennas sub-forum and while problem solving we tried to eliminate a number of things including that the tuners on the DVR+ were being overpowered. That was not the case with the tuners. So, I remained very frustrated. I knew I couldn't add a preamp to the Antennas Direct C2V (that's where the ABC stations are coming from) because when I ordered the custom AC7 combiner I only had DC pass built in for the Fox station from the Antennas Direct 91XG (because according to my TVFool report it is my weakest station). But, I remembered I had a couple options to try. One was this Wineguard LNA100 amplifier: http://www.winegard.com/offair/amplifiers.php I tried connected the LNA 100 amplifier but that did overpower the tuner as I lost channels. So, I also had this laying around: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=sky38323

I then ran the combined output from both antennas into the Skywalker amp (it has a nob to control amount of amplification; I did not turn it up all the way), then from there to the Channel Master 3414 amp and split to the 3 TV's. Then voila. The ABC channels have stabilized and my Fox station signal quality has jumped up to 84% signal strength and mid 90's signal quality.

It may seem like an odd setup but it seems to be working and has not affected the Roamio's reception in any negative way. And it has fixed ALL reception problems I was having with the DVR+. Very strange but true.
post #3189 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

In my case I am using an external POWERED 3.5 7200rpm Seagate hard drive and as I stated before after upgrading to 103r I now have the glitches that slprp1 is talking about and as seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU

Thanks for taking the time to create the video. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Since one of my Pal DVRs bit the dust, I've been on the fence about purchasing this model. I gotta admit that sorting through all the chaff on this thread has been tiresome. But your video has convinced me to wait a while.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #3190 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman View Post

When you say combination antenna what do you mean? Two antennas combined or a VHF/UHF single antenna?

A "combination" antenna (singular) is a VHF/UHF antenna.....aka, one antenna.
post #3191 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:

A "combination" antenna (singular) is a VHF/UHF antenna.....aka, one antenna.

That's what I was thinking. Just wanted clarification.
post #3192 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

my stuttering and freeze during playback issues began with fw upgrade. I've posted many times already, when this was not hot topic. And of course CM said they had not heard of it....and asked me to keep track of which channel was being recorded.

But to summarize once again, when I replaced the SG 3TB HDD, trouble ceased and all has been fine for over a month.
There is a slight drop audio out at times during normal live viewing, but not too bothersome. And if playback, the audio dropout doesn't exist.

My gut feeling is.....the HDD drive probably didn't need to be replaced, but something in the act of replacing it, caused things to sync up.

Hypothesis is that, during the FW upgrade, I was forced to use mem stick. I unplugged the HDD to insert the stick. (probably while both devices powered up, because instructions said to upgrade with device turned on. Unplugging the HDD just before the upgrade, in my opinion caused the freezing. Did not RE format drive, just returned it to costco for another.

I also have a SG 1TB in the wings, should I need to use it at some point.

I've learned my lesson not to unplug the HDD USB while everything powered.
Next FW upgrade, I will unplug the wifi adaptor instead.....who knows what headache that will bring.

FYI.....
My involuntary upgrade was done
via wi-fi.....and I've been having these glitches ever since!!
post #3193 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 135
may be you got corrupted image ?
I would try re-image back to 101R, then repeat upgrade to 103R from USB storage
post #3194 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

Is there anyone out there who is using their DVR+ without an Internet connection and is using strictly PSIP for their guide?

I'm puzzled by the question. If you don't have an Internet connection the only choice you have is PSIP. Correct? So, is the question are they folks using this without an Internet connection?
post #3195 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:

may be you got corrupted image ?
I would try re-image back to 101R, then repeat upgrade to 103R from USB storage

Please describe (in detail) how exactly one would revert back to 101R.
Please be very specific. Thank you!
post #3196 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Also.....I'm not absolutely certain that this problem started after the so-called "upgrade"......
Is anyone absolutely certain that these glitches didn't exist (on their unit) prior to the "upgrade"?
post #3197 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Also.....I'm not absolutely certain that this problem started after the so-called "upgrade"......
Is anyone absolutely certain that these glitches didn't exist (on their unit) prior to the "upgrade"?

Have you tried a wall powered HDD yet? Are you going to any time soon. I think a lot of us would like to know if the issue still persists after you have.
Yes, you have seen it on 6 HDD's but they have all been USB powered. The problem might just lay in that alone, not the DVR+.
Kelson and osu1991 like this.

Josh
post #3198 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please describe (in detail) how exactly one would revert back to 101R.
Please be very specific. Thank you!
kidding ? same as upgrade - it was described at CM site ... use USB stick
post #3199 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

The glitches were already there with the original 101R.

The Youtube video with the glitches was uploaded January 20. That's before any upgrade was available.

post #3200 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post

I'm puzzled by the question. If you don't have an Internet connection the only choice you have is PSIP. Correct? So, is the question are they folks using this without an Internet connection?
Quote:

Is there anyone out there who is using their DVR+ without an Internet connection and is using strictly PSIP for their guide?

Yes, that is the question I'm asking.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3201 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

I think what is really being asked of you is where does one get the 101R image. It is not on the CM web site, only 103R.

You said you have done it. Where did you get the 101R image.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3202 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Not kidding!
Here is what is specifically asked:
"Please describe (in detail) how exactly one would revert back to 101R.
Please be very specific. Thank you!"
......I was asking just how it would be possible to "downgrade" (ha, ha!) to 101R.
post #3203 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:

I think what is really being asked of you is where does one get the 101R image. It is not on the CM web site, only 103R.

Ditto!......or "AMEN to that!!!!" (courtesy of "mulliganman")
post #3204 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 133
post #3205 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

Have you tried a wall powered HDD yet? Are you going to any time soon. I think a lot of us would like to know if the issue still persists after you have.
Yes, you have seen it on 6 HDD's but they have all been USB powered. The problem might just lay in that alone, not the DVR+.

Attn: "Theducksfan2010" -
Have you seen this?......same exact issues with a self-powered (non-USB powered) EHD!!.....it's been posted many times (and very recently)!
The question remains.....just how seriously is CM taking this?

Check it out!:
post #3206 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 PM

Thanks!.....
If this file is copied to a flash drive, does it simply function by connecting the flash drive to a USB port on the DVR+?
.....has it been tested as such?.....are there any risks?
...... (sorry if I'm overly concerned about this..... but I feel as if I'm walking on thin ice with this unit!)
Also, is there any way to stop the annoying nag messages (should one wish to keep 101R.....for now at least)?
post #3207 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Attn: "Theducksfan2010" -
Have you seen this?......same exact issues with a self-powered (non-USB powered) EHD!!.....it's been posted many times (and very recently)!
The question remains.....just how seriously is CM taking this?

Check it out!:

Most of the posts concerning this problem have been by you, I have seen two other users with the same problem in here (yes, I read every post). One user has this problem and a powered HDD. So while it may be problematic for you and a small handful of people, the problem needs to be troubleshot.

Again, have YOU tried a non-USB powered drive on your machine yet? Before you can lay the blame on the DVR+, you have to find out if the type of drive makes any difference on YOUR device.

Both myself and @mulliganman Have had crappy, unusable performance from our DVR+ and have been able to resolve the problem, without changing the DVR+ itself. If you weren't on the other side of the country, I'd bring one of my drives over for you to try.
mulliganman likes this.

Josh
post #3208 of 6466 Old 04-21-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:

Also, is there any way to stop the annoying nag messages (should one wish to keep 101R.....for now at least)?

Disconnect the wireless adapter and/or Ethernet cable from your DVR+ before you revert the firmware to 101R and then leave it disconnected. It can't pester you about an update if it doesn't know the update exists, and it won't know about updates if it has no Internet access.
post #3209 of 6466 Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

from CM site, it was there initially ...
post #3210 of 6466 Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM

Location: Silicon Valley (Evergreen Foothills) - Found 16 transmitters within 50 miles of antenna location
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDD problems here too. I have experienced these glitches when playing my recorded videos. I have a USB3.0 SATA enclosure case with it's own power supply. Inside this case is a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive which was in my last computer build. The HDD was reformatted by the DVR+ but after 20 days of recording, I experienced several "disk initialization" errors. In one case I did another HDD format since the DVR+ could not read my library of recorded files.

I installed the Windows Ext2Fsd (Ext2 File System Driver for Windows) utility so I could check the Linux Partitions and files. Both partitions appeared fine and my recorded shows were all there in partition 2. I also did the "FFMPEG" video conversion and got my video file(s) to run in both VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player.

I attempted to get the DVR+ to initialize my USB disk several times using the (1) power on/off trick, (2) CHKDSK function and (3) disconnecting the USB disk, powering on DVR+ then power down then reconnecting USB Disk. There was no sure hit or miss routine I used to get the USB Drive to initialize but I did get it working a few times. In all cases, going to the settings menu, I checked the technical selection to verify that the disk parameters were recognized and logged correctly on the boot-up. In those cases where it recognized the disk after a clean boot-up, the DVR function would not work and I would get the not able to initialize disk error.

I ordered the recommended Seagate Expansion 3TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive w/ separate enclosure and power (STBV3000100). I noticed that this is 5400RPM. I wonder if my SATA 7200RPM USB 3.0 drive had compatibility issues (even though it is USB2.0 backward compatible).

Now that I have a way to save my Video library doing a reformat is not so painful. FWIW, when I did do the reformat DVR+ command, in ALL cases my DVR recording option worked fine. But after about 10% of the disk was filled and/or about 20 days of 24/7 usage, I experienced the disk initialization issues described above. The new 3TB Seagate drive should arrive in a few days, so I hope I should resolve this particular issue.

EKS
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page