Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #301 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm very excited about the imminent arrival of the DVR+. This is an ideal DVR for my in-laws who do not have internet or cable and are accustomed to using my DTVPal DVRs. It is also an excellent replacement for the DTVPal -- should one of those ever give up the ghost. I'll likely get one or two regardless just because of the storage capacity -- especially if they add essential apps (netflix, amazon instant, and plex/playon come to mind).

I'd love to see whole-house-collaboration implemented, but that is secondary. We have Simple DVRs for that.

When we cut our cable nearly four years ago, I did not consider a DVR very important. We had Comcast -- with its awful guide and terrible DVR. There were only two recordings on the DVR -- Bonnie Hunt and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. My family had completely transitioned to Netflix. Or so I thought. It turned out we used the DVR all day every day -- pausing, rewinding, slow motion. We used the DVR during sporting events and wardrobe malfunctions. My quest for an OTA DVR had me building PCs, manipulating Linux files, and spending a lot of money on 'free' solutions. I took a chance on the DTVPal DVR. I didn't have the first unboxed for an hour before I was looking for a second. I have five of these. For <$1000, I had five DVRs that worked exactly as my wife expected them to. I think Comcast was getting $15/month for DVRs 2-5, so I was 'saving' $60/month and in 17 months, I'd be even. It's been 40 months. I'm WAY ahead.

We also have a bunch of Rokus and four Simple DVRs. These things are brimming with potential. I am using them to build an ondemand library of unimportant programming. In my house, the Rokus have only a half dozen apps installed (netflix, simple, playon, videobuzz, plex, and fox news). For the most part, Rokus are relegated to netflix streaming. No matter, the Simple DVRs are accumulating Friends, Seinfeld, That 70s Show, White Collar, Bones, The Closer, Monk, Modern Family, Two and a Half Men, Rules of Engagement, Big Bang Theory, and other shows for the day someone decides to watch. I enjoy these and my live OTA when I am traveling and the hotel only has cable. Just saying. These devices have led me to abandon the MythTV/WMC projects. They do not, however, satisfy the pause/fast forward/rewind/slow motion needs.

The downside to the Roku is that you have to switch Input and remote to use them. Being able to simply choose channel 206 on my DVR+ would be awesome.

I have purchased optical media for the movies I could watch a hundred times. I have over 300 of these and format shifted the bunch before the Librarian of Congress declared it not Fair Use to do so (I have not bought a movie or tv series since). I serve these up to my Rokus via Plex. These are my highest quality recordings with swearing, boobs, and all that.

I have also purchased Playon/PlayLater with HD add-ons. This is a streaming media DVR. The saved files go in a folder watched by Plex.

It would be really cool if a single device could do all of these things. Unfortunately, I would not be able to afford that device. Some of these things are edge activities and others are whole house activities. If I have, for instance, a whole house DVR (Simple) recording all episodes of Two and a Half Men, I do not need as many tuners or as much storage at the edge.

This might seem primitive, but it works for me. When I talk to someone about cutting the cable, I recommend a DVR and a Roku at each set. That satisfies the viewing needs. Then we talk about Playon, Plex, and Simple.

It's very difficult to recommend the Magnavox/Phillips/Funai DVRs because I don't like them. Since Rovi pulled the plug on the broadcast guide, it's been difficult to recommend a DTVPal DVR -- especially with the prices nearly doubling on ebay. The DVR+ fills the gap left by the Rovi enabled DTVPal DVR. I'm pretty delighted to be able to recommend it to cable cutters.

That's why I am rooting for the DVR+
RIppolito likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

Sorry for this rambling post, but I'd rather get it all in one post rather than several separate posts.

To save space(and avoid repetition) I didn't quote your entire post but if people want to look at it, just click the green arrow next to Wisconsin Jim's name.

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with your post but I'm not surprised CM did what they did, almost like they didn't want the product to succeed for whatever reason :confused:

The WiFi dongle is just plane archaic, I mean Tivo was using that back in '08 before WiFi became the standard, in this day and age when one can purchase a $60 BD player with built in WiFi it makes NO sense a $300 DVR wouldn't have it built in :rolleyes:

I also agree with your about the lack of outputs in this product, again a $20 DVD player can have component and composite, what would it have hurt to be backwards compatible? At the risk of being laughed at I won't suggest it should have had S-video but if it did I'd be one that would use it :p

4 tuners, I agree any new full featured DVR I would be interested in would have to have at least 3 but 4 would be nice. I have a dual tuner Tivo HD now and more and more frequently I'm having to use my little cheap iView DVR for overflow events, if the CM would have met my needs I may have replaced both with one CM :)

Do we know this device doesn't have at least 2 IR codes? Again if it doesn't I also believe it's a major omition, especially with only 2 tuners many would need more than 1 in the same area, who wants conflicting remotes? My Panasonic DVDRs and BD players have as many as 5! different IR codes, all starting at <$100.

I agree with many of your other points but also understand they probably had a PP they had to make, still for many of the things you mentioned we're talking pennies if not dollars, not a lot to make this product truly competitive, that is if thats what they really wanted.......

I hope what was originally said will be true, that is this is just the base model and CM will come out with a more full featured model in the future, unfortunately if this one doesn't sell there may be no future models, personally I'm not holding my breath :(

Lastly, while a thin TV or component may be "sexy" to look at, I much prefer my components have a little size to them, at least enough for future expandability or serviceability. I'm not talking about a TV a foot thick but at least thick enough to allow for things like RCA jacks or full sized HDMI jacks. I guess it's OK if someone wants to Velcro their DVR to the back of their razor thin TV but thats not me, to each his own but in the same respect I'd really like a more full featured full sized DVR from CM :)

danyo9090 likes this.
post #303 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

It's very difficult to recommend the Magnavox/Phillips/Funai DVRs because I don't like them.

Is that the Philips box, unopened, on your pool table (12/14), "waiting to be returned"?

Apparently you unboxed it and set it up. .. why not post your likes and dislikes in the Philips thread???

post #304 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Is that the Philips box, unopened, on your pool table (12/14), "waiting to be returned"?

Apparently you unboxed it and set it up. .. why not post your likes and dislikes in the Philips thread???
Yes. I didn't unbox or use it. I base my dislike on the information posted here. The two features I like least are the idea that you have to plan to rewind something and that you have to program recordings by time rather than guide.

I've been promised a DRV+ by Christmas. As soon as I get tracking information, the Phillips goes back to Best Buy.
post #305 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

The two features I like least are the idea that you have to plan to rewind something and that you have to program recordings by time rather than guide.
Rewind what???
post #306 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Wow, can't believe people are killing this thing -- even before one has shipped -- because it isn't a high-end TiVo for $250.

Actually, I can.
JHBrandt likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #307 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Rewind what???
If I am watching television, and decide I want to record the show, I press the record button and am prompted to record the entire event, record manually, creaate a manual timer or extend the recording time. my understanding is that, by default, the phillips DVRs do not cache viewing, so you cannot decide to record an entire event half way through it or even rewind unless you are recording the show. Is that incorrect?
post #308 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Virtually every advance feature you desire takes it further and further away from their target market. To a large degree if are here you aren't their market. It's that simplesmile.gif  
You know, that is such an incredibly true statement.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #309 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Wow, can't believe people are killing this thing -- even before one has shipped -- because it isn't a high-end TiVo for $250.

Actually, I can.

So can I! :rolleyes:

post #310 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

So can I! rolleyes.gif

I'm not complaining at all with what you are getting for the price, I've ordered one already.

But I really had hoped for more functionality, and I was willing to pay for it.

danyo9090 likes this.
post #311 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my understanding is that, by default, the phillips DVRs do not cache viewing, so you cannot decide to record an entire event half way through it or even rewind unless you are recording the show. Is that incorrect?
Yes that is correct, they do not have a live TV channel buffer.
Which brings me to --

@DaveZatz
Dave, what can you tell us about the channel buffers on the CM-7500? What is the length of the channel buffer. Does each tuner have an independent channel buffer?

- kelson h

post #312 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
I'd rather have it wireless than to have to run an ethernet cable from my router in one room to the DVR+ and TV in another room. I sincerely believe that most people would want to be using the internet features wirelessly.
What's so hard about running a cable?? No worry about;
loss of signal,
interference from other RF devices,
security hassles,
and it's less expensive.
Unless it is a great distance or to another building (unattached garage), there is no benefit to wireless unless you are allergic to a little extra work running a cable one time.

BTW, the response was directed to Wireless, not Ethernet capability.
Quote:
If you're buying a USB HDD specifically for a device that has only two USB ports, you should buy one that is designed to be powered from USB ports.
And if you are buying for another possible use down the road as in for a PC and you wanted greater storage capibility and the best $ per GB, it makes more sense to buy a full size drive. But, that still doesn't solve the unknown if this will power a drive in an enclosure with no after effects.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #313 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, I do believe that cutout, along with vents and dimples in the enclosure, is where additional internal storage may have lived if they hadn't killed the 320GB model
Where/when was this stated?? confused.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #314 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Quote:
Yes, I do believe that cutout, along with vents and dimples in the enclosure, is where additional internal storage may have lived if they hadn't killed the 320GB model
Where/when was this stated?? confused.gif
Quote:

But, that still doesn't solve the unknown if this will power a drive in an enclosure with no after effects.
Both of those have been covered already, here.

- kelson h

post #315 of 4611 Old 12-18-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have a question and if it has been answered already sorry.......Will the remotes for the dvr+ and the cm-7000pal interfere with the operation of either.

I was planning on using the two so I can have 4 tuners running at the same time and hopefully the codes are different enough that they will play well together.
post #316 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 03:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Both of those have been covered already, here.
The post, four after that caught my attention.

post #317 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The post, four after that caught my attention.
You know, as they say -- things change.

- kelson h

post #318 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
That would be great if there were 2 channel buffers. Tivo does that with a half hour buffer. I doubt there will be because the channelmaster website says a 2 hour channel buffer. There seems to be a lot of negativity in this forum but I ordered one as soon as I received the email from channelmaster regarding availability. My dtvpal dvr died a couple months ago so I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new dvr. I will report all my findings in January when it arrives. Everything looks promising. I have a Roku so I don't care about the internet apps. I bought a homeworks and a boxeetv for dvr use and the user interface does not compare. I am also curious about the 2 market tv guide because I receive channels from 2 places and the old rovi guide made me choose 1.
post #319 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 130
hevan49. PM me
post #320 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 AM

Liked: 11

Nobody ever seems to mention another input source such as component to make it a general purpose DVR from all sources if you use a receiver. Am I missing something? No market? High cost? Wrong thread I suppose but if compiling a wish list.

post #321 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

Have a question and if it has been answered already sorry.......Will the remotes for the dvr+ and the cm-7000pal interfere with the operation of either.

I was planning on using the two so I can have 4 tuners running at the same time and hopefully the codes are different enough that they will play well together.
I don't think your question has been definitively answered yet. Someone would need to own both DVRs to be sure.

That said, I doubt the remotes will interfere with each other. The CM-7000Pal used Dish Network remote codes, and although the DVR+ is supposedly made by the same company (Echostar), its remote and UI are different enough that I don't think it uses the same codes.

But even if I'm wrong and there is a conflict, you could simply change the remote address of your CM-7000Pal to avoid it.
post #322 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

What's so hard about running a cable??

I live in a rental. Thanks to my ex-wife I may never have credit for a mortgage. Running cable from my router to my living room TV would be impossible without tearing out the walls. So, I'm limited to WiFi or power line adapters. I'm sure I'm not the only person in that situation.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #323 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevan49 View Post

That would be great if there were 2 channel buffers. Tivo does that with a half hour buffer. I doubt there will be because the channelmaster website says a 2 hour channel buffer. There seems to be a lot of negativity in this forum but I ordered one as soon as I received the email from channelmaster regarding availability. My dtvpal dvr died a couple months ago so I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new dvr. I will report all my findings in January when it arrives. Everything looks promising. I have a Roku so I don't care about the internet apps. I bought a homeworks and a boxeetv for dvr use and the user interface does not compare. I am also curious about the 2 market tv guide because I receive channels from 2 places and the old rovi guide made me choose 1.
Yes I am also concerned about possible limitations of the Rovi guide. Past experience with Rovi guides on Samsung Smart TV interfaces only allows you to input one zip code for the official designated market. So you do not get guide data from a neighboring market. Perhaps the PSIP data from out of market channels received by the antenna will somehow be integrated into the Rovi guide. Tribune data devices are a bit different, as you can select a zip code where you get antenna reception from more than one market. You will get guide data from the official designated market, as well as the alternate market received by the antenna. For example, locations in Virginia and Maryland receive both DC and Baltimore channels, whereas you can get both NYC and Philly in parts of New Jersey. Also, a Gaffney, SC zip will give you data from both Greenville-Spartanburg and Charlotte, NC, although GSP is the official market. Not sure how the Rovi guide will deal with data from these multiple markets. But I still plan to place an order.
post #324 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

I live in a rental. Thanks to my ex-wife I may never have credit for a mortgage. Running cable from my router to my living room TV would be impossible without tearing out the walls. So, I'm limited to WiFi or power line adapters. I'm sure I'm not the only person in that situation.
Powerline adapters work very well.
post #325 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Question, not a TiVo troll.

I like my TiVo, but I'd love to get rid of the monthly fee. The single feature I won't give up is, when fast-forwarding through commercials, when I hit play it automatically jumps back a few seconds to make up for going just past the end of the commercials. (I archived all the kids holiday specials last year, and watching them this year via AppleTV, this makes me wish I edited out commercials before archiving).

Is this a TiVo patented feature, or does the DVR+ offer similar functionality?

thanks!

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #326 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Question, not a TiVo troll.

I like my TiVo, but I'd love to get rid of the monthly fee. The single feature I won't give up is, when fast-forwarding through commercials, when I hit play it automatically jumps back a few seconds to make up for going just past the end of the commercials. (I archived all the kids holiday specials last year, and watching them this year via AppleTV, this makes me wish I edited out commercials before archiving).

Is this a TiVo patented feature, or does the DVR+ offer similar functionality?

thanks!

I know my friends crappy Time Warner box does the same thing. Echostar settled with TiVo, wonder if that settlement applies to this box since made by them.
post #327 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Powerline adapters work very well.
Yes they do. And possibly a more reliable signal than wifi. I already use one with a TiVo Ethernet connection and it is a strong signal. I may add another when I purchase the Channel Master instead of the wifi adapter.
post #328 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Running cable from my router to my living room TV would be impossible without tearing out the walls.
Drilling a couple of holes maybe, but I would find it hard to believe you would have to tear out any walls.
I ran from a bedroom through a dinning room to a living room, then under the floor to the opposite of the room and no walls had to be torn out. Four sets of holes that could be covered, but that is it. And the path through th outer wall of the dinning room is along the outside of baseboard, being concealed by a piece of corner molding reversed, stained and polyurethane.

BTW, I live in a upper flat, no piece of cake, 1st floor job that just about anyone could do using the open ceiling of the basement. I have also rented for many years, but I guess I had a couple of decent non absentee landlords that appreciated a good tenant. wink.gif

post #329 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes I am also concerned about possible limitations of the Rovi guide.
If you do not connect a Ethernet cable, what happens to the Guide? Is there a PSIP fall back?
Other question; is the case metal or plastic?

post #330 of 4611 Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsymon View Post

Nobody ever seems to mention another input source such as component to make it a general purpose DVR from all sources if you use a receiver. Am I missing something? No market? High cost? Wrong thread I suppose but if compiling a wish list.

That's not what a DVR does. Look in the HTPC forum for various capture card options. The transition to digital has made encryption much easier, so capturing sources such as cable box outputs is often impossible without hardware to strip the copy protection.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page