98Likes

post #3421 of 4607 Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I obtained this list during the testing cycle of 106R (before it was even called 106R). I cannot vouch that everything on this list was actually fixed. It is posted for your information -- and of course for some of you to endlessly bitch about.

Firmware 106R changelog/bug list

System Time
  • Use NTP (network time) as highest priority time source for auto setting if available.
  • Manual time now sets & uses the real time clock as top priority time source once entered until AC cycle, storing offsets to PSIP time.
  • Fixed issue where incorrect manual offset could be applied after a power cycle
  • Improvements made to setting the seconds of manual time by the user. Seconds are cleared when entering time in the time/date & install wizard menus, but not when setting the date or daylight savings.

Now that 106R has been out several days ... I can confirm the "Use NTP" fix ... it's been highly accurate so far. I'm especially sensitive to this as I had problem with time keeping on my unit before this fix was put into place - perhaps it was the PSIP in one of my stations.

And, Kelson, you're right about not all the items in you list having made it. I don't think I see this "Make recording LED dim Red in standby.". I'll look more closely later in the day when I know something is recording for sure. I guess the good news is CM is also looking at the little things. I do hope this process continues for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 4607 Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree that the recording LED is not dim red in standby. That would be a nice feature, but it doesn't appear to be in 106R.

I've now seen a few video glitches (as well as audio dropouts) when playing back a recorded program, and only when a recording was active in the background. The audio dropouts are much more annoying to me.

So far, the recorded programs were either from Fox or ABC. It makes me wonder if they have some sort of issue with 720p decoding. But maybe I'll eventually see the issues with other programs also.

I'd certainly like CM to make this the highest priority issue.
post #3423 of 4607 Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post

And, Kelson, you're right about not all the items in you list having made it. I don't think I see this "Make recording LED dim Red in standby.". I'll look more closely later in the day when I know something is recording for sure. I guess the good news is CM is also looking at the little things. I do hope this process continues for a while.

I put my updated DVR+ into standby during a recording last night and the LED went from bright red to dim blue.

post #3424 of 4607 Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 AM

Updated to 106R, now the guide response is sluggish. Slower than it was at best, unresponsive at worst. Looking forward to the next FW release. It is best to maintain a sense of adventure when dealing with things like this, helps to reduce the frustration level.

post #3425 of 4607 Old 05-04-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

From CNet-

While live TV always played back smoothly, recordings occasionally had some issues. Every once in a while, there would video playback glitches that looked like dropped frames or stuttering on recorded programs. Initially the glitches seemed like they might be reception issues, but I ruled that out by playing back the same sections again and seeing the glitches disappear. Perhaps it's an issue with the hard drive I was using (a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex), but it seems like the DVR+ should be able to test whether a connected drive will perform reliably.

That sounds a lot more like a bug in the DVR+.  Disk drives that had that many errors getting back to the computer (DVR+ in this case) would have been laughed out the marketplace.  And there would be NO WAY there would as many different drive models garbling their data as we have seen.

I'm suspecting something is going wrong in trying to program for multiple streams.  Some process or thread is getting ahead of its input data or ahead of the process/thread that's supposed handle the output data, or some such things.

Chuck

post #3426 of 4607 Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
@Russell_ I have a DVR that only uses PSIP, no internet, I have seen time from stations on it off by 10 minutes before.

I have seen audio/video glitches. Black screen, no sound, (MeTv) BUT, when rewound, they consistently recur in the exact same spot, every time.

Josh
post #3427 of 4607 Old 05-04-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

I'm suspecting something is going wrong in trying to program for multiple streams.  Some process or thread is getting ahead of its input data or ahead of the process/thread that's supposed handle the output data, or some such things.
I agree. I have thought from the first time it was mentioned that it was a data transport problem or a read buffer problem that the buffer couldn't keep filled when too many things were going on. The question is whether it is a firmware problem or a hardware design problem. Hopefully it is the former. There is also the situation where there are plenty of users who are not experiencing any issues.

I would not buy one of these at this time. Or if I did, make sure I could return it without penalty in case I found it to have the stuttering problems. If it did have the stuttering problem and I was using a quality HDD, I would return it immediately.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3428 of 4607 Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Pratt View Post

Updated to 106R, now the guide response is sluggish. Slower than it was at best, unresponsive at worst. Looking forward to the next FW release. It is best to maintain a sense of adventure when dealing with things like this, helps to reduce the frustration level.

Me too. After I hit the guide button--it seems like a full 3-4 sec before it comes on. Moving up/down can be randomly slow too--like it freezes for the 3-4 seconds. Then I'm left wondering if it registred my button press. Frustrating is right.

I tried cold reboot, but it's still there.
post #3429 of 4607 Old 05-05-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post

Me too. After I hit the guide button--it seems like a full 3-4 sec before it comes on. Moving up/down can be randomly slow too--like it freezes for the 3-4 seconds. Then I'm left wondering if it registred my button press. Frustrating is right.

Same here - the guide response is not close to what it was prior to 106, at least from my perspective.  Granted, I only had the unit for about 2 weeks prior to the 106 upgrade, but I would have definitely noticed the sluggish response on the guide.  This is not due to the CM supplied remote, either, as I get the same performance from my Harmony remote as well.  It takes 5 seconds or more to pull the guide up a lot of times.......I press the button again thinking that it didn't register and then the damn guide flashes up on the screen and off again due to the second press - getting a little annoying to say the least.

On another note, however, I haven't noticed the "blinking" issue on the live feed channels since the update.  As you may recall, i had a pretty regular blinking (about every 2 seconds) that occurred on live channels that would go away if I simply backed the live feed up 10 seconds or watched it from a recording.  It seemed to me that it could have been a buffering effect due to that, but I'm no engineer so take it for what it's worth.

I'm still happy for now, but that sluggish guide business is getting old fast.  Anyone else notice a huge difference in guide response since the upgrade?

post #3430 of 4607 Old 05-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs222 View Post

Same here - the guide response is not close to what it was prior to 106, at least from my perspective.  Granted, I only had the unit for about 2 weeks prior to the 106 upgrade, but I would have definitely noticed the sluggish response on the guide.  This is not due to the CM supplied remote, either, as I get the same performance from my Harmony remote as well.  It takes 5 seconds or more to pull the guide up a lot of times.......I press the button again thinking that it didn't register and then the damn guide flashes up on the screen and off again due to the second press - getting a little annoying to say the least.

I'm still happy for now, but that sluggish guide business is getting old fast.  Anyone else notice a huge difference in guide response since the upgrade?

Are you using a WiFi or wired internet connection? Are you getting strong, good quality signals on all your channels? The 106R revision included changes to both WiFi networking and how PSIP and Rovi Guide information are processed.

I've done the 106R update and have a wired internet connection with about a 50/50 mix of PSIP & Rovi data on 17 channels. As before the update, it takes about one second for the Guide to show on the screen after I press the remote button.

I have noticed that sometimes PSIP data doesn't show unless I tune to that channel. I have had up to a six second delay and lack of responsiveness when switching to a weak channel. The DVR+ tuner also seems to choke on one channel which is showing only a still image without any programs being broadcast.

post #3431 of 4607 Old 05-05-2014, 05:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

Are you using a WiFi or wired internet connection? Are you getting strong, good quality signals on all your channels? The 106R revision included changes to both WiFi networking and how PSIP and Rovi Guide information are processed.

I've had the same issues as mishmosh and rcs222 with poor guide responsiveness even after rebooting, and it's super annoying as already explained. I'm using a wifi connection, and the internet signal is good. Hoping for a quick fw fix for this! (if cm is listening here?)
post #3432 of 4607 Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is the responsiveness always slow or just at certain times? After seeing the above messages I was curious and so tried the Guide button and it came up within 2 seconds. After pressing it a few times it was up in under a second or so. I'll try again in the morning to see if it's any different. I wonder if it's a function of the number of channels or whether if some of them don't have Rovi data.
post #3433 of 4607 Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Liked: 57
I'm hardwired in, and my guide is instant, was never that fast before 106R.

Josh
post #3434 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I agree. I have thought from the first time it was mentioned that it was a data transport problem or a read buffer problem that the buffer couldn't keep filled when too many things were going on. The question is whether it is a firmware problem or a hardware design problem. Hopefully it is the former. There is also the situation where there are plenty of users who are not experiencing any issues.

I would not buy one of these at this time. Or if I did, make sure I could return it without penalty in case I found it to have the stuttering problems. If it did have the stuttering problem and I was using a quality HDD, I would return it immediately.

Insofar as info. that you may be privy to......
Is this "stuttering" issue being worked on at all
(as opposed to simply waving the white flag and returning units)?
post #3435 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

Interesting!......
Seems like you're the exception to the rule (as there seem to be many complaints of guide sluggishness after 106R).

I'm having difficulty understanding the correlation between Internet connection quality and faster or slower guide access.
I don't see any connection between the two (unless you're accessing the guide at the very same time as it's updating.....which is only once a day for a very brief period).
Perhaps someone can clarify this?
Why should your connection quality affect how quickly you can navigate the guide?
post #3436 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

I've done the 106R update and have a wired internet connection with about a 50/50 mix of PSIP & Rovi data on 17 channels. As before the update, it takes about one second for the Guide to show on the screen after I press the remote button.

I have noticed that sometimes PSIP data doesn't show unless I tune to that channel. I have had up to a six second delay and lack of responsiveness when switching to a weak channel. The DVR+ tuner also seems to choke on one channel which is showing only a still image without any programs being broadcast.

I'm on a wired connection up to 20 Mbps, which it usually sits at and am getting strong signals on most of my channels.  I have not checked every signal, but for the 10 or so I checked, all were above 80 on both signal and strength in the Dallas, TX area.

I'm not sure how to tell which are PSIP and which are Rovi, but from what I can remember, most of my 40+ channels have the avatar or channel image next to them.  I seem to remember something around that being the tell tale sign for Rovi data.  The ones that don't have the symbol are largely unwatched channels in my home anyway.

I'm sure that I've got a solid connection to the internet and good signals, but the responsiveness of the menus has moved to the top of my list of gripes - OK, my only gripe :-)

Hope this gets fixed fast - quite annoying.

post #3437 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure how to tell which are PSIP and which are Rovi, but from what I can remember, most of my 40+ channels have the avatar or channel image next to them.  I seem to remember something around that being the tell tale sign for Rovi data.  The ones that don't have the symbol are largely unwatched channels in my home anyway.

Are you able to go into the channel editor and remove the channels that you don't watch (and which don't have Rovi data). I am suspicious that delays in the guide response are connected to the DVR+ having to acquire PSIP data for channels that are in the list but don't have good Rovi guide data available. 106R attempts to make better use of PSIP data to compensate for bad or missing Rovi data and offer a complete guide. PSIP data is station dependent so every user may have a different acquisition experience for their specific locale. Eliminating channels in your list that you don't watch and which depend on PSIP seems reasonable and may positively impact guide performance.

Just my suggestion to try - no guarantees.
kwg likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3438 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

A number of us had the sluggish machine right after the update and were able to clear it up by rebooting. You can try:

1) Holding the power button down until it restarts (this worked for me)

2) Unplugging the machine for 10-20 seconds and then plugging it back in (this seemed to work for others when the "warm reboot" didn't help)

3) Go in the menu to the Factory Reset option. Try this last as you will have to reset everything up.

post #3439 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromPhilly View Post

A number of us had the sluggish machine right after the update and were able to clear it up by rebooting. You can try:
2) Unplugging the machine for 10-20 seconds and then plugging it back in (this seemed to work for others when the "warm reboot" didn't help)

Just to add:

The coldest reboot is by pulling the plug. Pull the plug at the unit, not the wall, that way you separate the power supply from the unit and don't have to worry about how long before the capacitors discharge and truly power it down. If you pull the plug at the unit and wait a minute, it will be stone cold when you reboot.

- kelson h

post #3440 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

everyone that's done the upgrade post about the remote control responsiveness (or lack thereof)?

I've done the update and my remote is very laggy on the Guide and in the recordings menu. Sometimes it'll be completely unresponsive, sometimes it will be completely normal. The TV responds to the remote just fine, even when the DVR+ is acting laggy, so I'm inclined to think that it isn't the remote.

I'll try my universal and see if there is any difference.
post #3441 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Apparently, very few of you have ever dealt with Dish Network dvr's before. They actually REBOOT every single night on schedule, looking for firmware updates AND to clear up problems such as slow guide, slow remote syndrome, wacky guide issues, and the like. It's VERY common for them to have these issues almost every day, and without the reboot each night, they can drive you to distraction with odd things. Since 2006 I have owned a VIP622, and the last 1.5 years a VIP722k. They both have acted up many times with that sort of issues, though the much older VIP622 is far worse.

Could be memory holes, wonky Dish firmware, it could be a lot of things, but that's life with a Dish dvr, which is what this DVR+ is.

I can almost guarantee you that things of this nature will remain a problem forever, as long as Dish engineers are involved in tweaking the firmware. The VIP receivers have been around for years, and stuff of this sort has NEVER been completely fixed. People just learn to deal with it.
post #3442 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post

Apparently, very few of you have ever dealt with Dish Network dvr's before.

I had the DTVPal, and it never did this. I've had the DVR+ for a few months now, and it didn't do this until the last firmware update. Being dismissive of people conferring to see if there is a pattern doesn't help.
post #3443 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

I'm hardwired and my guide is instant, but I have also deleted any channels that I do not watch or any channels that I do not get a solid or ify signal on.

I know that before I deleted any weak signals, if I tried to see if it would come in, that the DVR would hesitate or freeze. By then your pushing buttons to try and get back to another strong channel. Thus the reason to just delete them.

This was also a recommendation by CM way back at the beginning in an reply to my email question concerning weak or not used stations being on the channel list.

Any stuttering that I have seen on a recorded show I can duplicate when I replay that section.

Any stuttering on live viewing thru the DVR+ I attribute to reception problems due to weather, wind, trees or the antenna moving, and that I would see on the TV as well.

The TV is less sensitive to these problems that what the DVR+ or the CM7400 is.

Just my thoughts and experience on my system.

post #3444 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsede View Post

I had the DTVPal, and it never did this. I've had the DVR+ for a few months now, and it didn't do this until the last firmware update. Being dismissive of people conferring to see if there is a pattern doesn't help.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, I am trying to add to the discussion to say that these sorts of issues seem to be quite common with Dish satellite dvr's. I have been a member of SatelliteGuys for a very long time also, and issues like this are posted all the time by a varied group of people. So, I'm not just making this observation based on only what I have seen with my particular Dish dvr's.

I sure hope they get this tweaked to the point of being 100% perfect for everybody, however I am a realist, and that would be a miracle since even their mainstream dvr's continue to have odd issues. So I'd say people should keep pushing to get the things brought to CM's attention, BUT, should also try to figure out ways to work around the problems. If any can be figured out.
post #3445 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm not trying to be dismissive, I am trying to add to the discussion to say that these sorts of issues seem to be quite common with Dish satellite dvr's. I have been a member of SatelliteGuys for a very long time also, and issues like this are posted all the time by a varied group of people. So, I'm not just making this observation based on only what I have seen with my particular Dish dvr's.

I sure hope they get this tweaked to the point of being 100% perfect for everybody, however I am a realist, and that would be a miracle since even their mainstream dvr's continue to have odd issues. So I'd say people should keep pushing to get the things brought to CM's attention, BUT, should also try to figure out ways to work around the problems. If any can be figured out.

It's always possible it's the old IR problems. Narrow transmission width / range of remote transmitter, Narrow reception width / signal sensitivity of main unit receiver, interference from sunlight / halogen, etc. I would consider one of those systems where you replace one of the batteries with a special battery that turns the IR remote into a RF remote and communicates with a matching RF receiver that converts back to IR and flashes the main unit with a IR signal properly attached.

Might / might not solve your problem but I've never been a fan of IR, other than the easy programming to a Universal Remote.
post #3446 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 04:01 PM

I use a UHF remote on my VIP722k, and it still gets a bit unresponsive/hesitant at times. IMO, it's some freak memory issue(s), that occur from time to time just like a computer running Windows. Though you are correct in that sometimes a uhf remote will work at the same time that the IR remote is being wonky.

You learn to deal with it, but it can piss you off sometimes.
post #3447 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:

This is not a "Dish Network satellite DVR" and it doesn't reboot every day. In fact, the DTVpal DVR (which the DVR+ is loosely based on) didn't reboot every day!
Let's not make assumptions, please!
Let's focus on this design and what can be done (hopefully) to make it more functional.....and less frustrating!!
BTW..... a good number of the FW "tweaks" should have been incorporated from the outset (but let's not lose sight of the fact that this unit wasn't truly ready to go on sale)!!
post #3448 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

This is not a "Dish Network DVR" and it doesn't reboot every day. In fact, the DTVpal DVR (which the DVR+ is loosely based on) didn't reboot every day!
!!

Just my point, it doesn't reboot everyday, but maybe it SHOULD. Also, it is NOT based on the DTVpal unit, but it's based on a British Dish Network receiver.
post #3449 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyMc View Post

It's always possible it's the old IR problems. Narrow transmission width / range of remote transmitter, Narrow reception width / signal sensitivity of main unit receiver, interference from sunlight / halogen, etc. I would consider one of those systems where you replace one of the batteries with a special battery that turns the IR remote into a RF remote and communicates with a matching RF receiver that converts back to IR and flashes the main unit with a IR signal properly attached.

Might / might not solve your problem but I've never been a fan of IR, other than the easy programming to a Universal Remote.

If this "sluggishness" is part and parcel of the new FW version, than the "old IR problems" are irrelevant!
post #3450 of 4607 Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Could be memory holes, wonky Dish firmware, it could be a lot of things, but that's life with a Dish dvr, which is what this DVR+ is.

I can almost guarantee you that things of this nature will remain a problem forever, as long as Dish engineers are involved in tweaking the firmware. The VIP receivers have been around for years, and stuff of this sort has NEVER been completely fixed. People just learn to deal with it.

Sorry for perhaps misinterpreting you.....
However, you seemed to make the point that, even with the daily reboots, the Dish DVR's still have the same issues (that have "NEVER been completely fixed")!
I'm not in denial. Nor am I defending the
DVR + (as others here are quite aware of).
......Just trying to be (very) cautiously optimistic that these units will one day actually be ready to use (without having to pull the hair out of your head)!!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page